๐Œ๐ž๐ญ๐š๐ง๐จ๐ข๐š | The Death...

By astralfoxes

โ๐‘ด๐’‚๐’š๐’ƒ๐’† ๐’Š๐’• ๐’‚๐’๐’ ๐’Ž๐’†๐’‚๐’๐’• ๐’”๐’๐’Ž๐’†๐’•๐’‰๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ. ๐‘บ๐’๐’Ž๐’†๐’•๐’‰๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ ๐’Š๐’Ž๐’‘๐’๐’“๐’•๐’‚๐’๐’•..โž Metanoia. (n)... More

ใ€Metanoiaใ€‘
ใ€00: Mother's Daughterใ€‘
ใ€01: The Rescue Missionใ€‘
ใ€02: Facing Failuresใ€‘
ใ€03: A Problem Arisesใ€‘
ใ€05: Worst Road Trip Everใ€‘
ใ€06: In a Crowd of the Voicelessใ€‘
ใ€07: An Unexpected Circumstanceใ€‘
ใ€08: Rose Took My Nose I Supposeใ€‘
ใ€09: Train Runners ใ€‘
ใ€10: The Last City ใ€‘
ใ€11: The Secrets We Keepใ€‘
ใ€12: Connecting Broken Linesใ€‘
ใ€13: Ghosts of the Pastใ€‘
ใ€14: What Can't Be Mendedใ€‘

ใ€04: Blue Eyes and Starry Skiesใ€‘

3.3K 141 60
By astralfoxes

⫸ Metanoia: The Death Cure ⫷

「 Chapter 4: Blue Eyes and Starry Skies   」

Lia heard a little girl's voice of distress echo throughout the room. Where the fuck was she? Various strangers littered around her as she looked around. They looked like W.C.K.D soldiers. Armed and ready to attack. 

What the hell was happening? 

"Where are we going, mommy?"  

Turning around, Lia finds a little blonde girl who looked about the age of six. A woman clad in a white lab coat kneeled to the girl's height. Lia noted that they resembled each other. Lia feels her head spin, closing her eyes for a moment. 

As soon as she opened them, she's surprised to find that she had replaced the little girl from before. Lia felt smaller now. Looking up to see the women from before now up close. This was her mother—this was Lillian. 

"We're going somewhere safe, sweetheart."  Her mother tells her, gently stroking the strands that framed Lia's face. 

"But what about dad?"  She hears herself ask. Her younger self sounded terrified, so innocent. From the corner, the armored men could be seen picking up someone she couldn't see. Whoever this person was seemed compliant. Letting the guards take him out of the room. 

"Shhh..." Lillian pulls her head to her chest before Lia could get a quick look, as if to hide her from the world "He'll be fine, Catherine..."

A bright fills her vision, causing her to shut her eyes once again. Feeling her head spin once more as a new scene began to unfold before her. 

Once again she had no idea where she was. She was walking in a hallway. The fluorescent lights that lit the path made her eyes squint. For some reason, she had an uneasy feeling in her stomach. She could hear the clicking of someone's heels beside her. 

"Lia, come on. It's alright."  The blonde girl looks up to find Ava Paige. She looked a little younger now and taller too—or maybe Lia was just small. The now seven-year-old's eyes then shift towards their entwined hands. Her hand was tiny against her former Chancellor's. 

"But my name's not..." She began to speak only for Ava to cut her off. 

"Hush, Lia." Dr. Ava Paige reprimanded, squeezing the little girl's hand. "We'll talk about this later."

The sound of Ava's shoes clicking against the floors came to an abrupt halt as they reached a metal door. Lia feels the woman gently push her into the room once the door had been opened. The room's interior mirrored the hallway. White walls covered every corner. Bright fluorescent lights hung on the ceiling. It seemed too prim and clean in her opinion. 

In the very center of the room was a round table. Piles of books, worksheets and various pens and crayons scattered all over the surface. In between all those, there was a little boy who seemed to be around her age. At the sound of visitors, he looked up from what he had been working on. 

Lia could finally see the boy's features a bit clearer. His hair was the color of deep brown, eyes the color that reminded her of her mother's morning coffee. He seemed like someone so familiar to her. 

"Lia..." Ava Paige began, motioning her hand towards the little boy across from her. "This is Thomas." 

Lia smiled at the boy, her actions earned a blush to form on his cheeks. There was an unknown pull she felt as she stared at the boy. The room began to spin again giving her nausea once again. The blonde girl was the only one being affected by this. Shutting her eyes once again as another wave of bright lights filled her vision. 

She could hear her mother's voice calling out to her. 

"I'm so sorry..."

She could hear screaming and glass breaking. Various scenes coming up one after the other. Too fast for her to comprehend what was happening. Her heartbeat sped up as seconds pass. 

"Lia..." A voice whispered. 

Everything was happening too fast. 

"You keep those codes in your head, okay? Don't let anyone else know what they are." 

What codes?

"Lia!" A little louder. 

Please, stop. 

"LIA!" 

Gasping awake, Lia shoots up from her makeshift bed. Her shoulders rise and fall, her breathing rapid. She clutches the fabric of her shirt against her chest. Under the cotton fabric of her tank top was the piece of jewelry that always made her calm down in situations such as this. From beside her, she watched Brenda sleep in peace. As did the rest of the Right Arm members. Lia was glad no one woke up because of her. 

The blue-eyed girl continued to fidget with her necklace through her shirt, regulating her breathing. She noticed the upside-down leather-bound journal on her lap. It became a habit for her to read it before she went to bed ever since her separation from Thomas. It kept her mind off things.

Flipping the journal over, she could finally understand the dream she just had. Her mother's journal entry talked about the time she was first taken into W.C.K.D and how they kept Lia hidden from the other children. The only one she was allowed to interact with at the time was a boy named Thomas. Lia knew this was the same Thomas. The Thomas who was once hers. 

Speaking of the boy, he was in one of the tents,  placing items into a backpack. He wasn't really doing a good job at being silent yet somehow he managed not to wake anyone else up. Lia could almost laugh at that. 

His terrible attempt of trying not to put attention on himself had failed seeing as the blonde girl found her way to following after him.

"Hey," Lia spoke up, startling Thomas and caused him to turn in her direction in panic. 

The whiskey-eyed boy stared at her in shock, he didn't expect she'd be awake. "Lia—w-what are you—"

"I know you're going after Minho." The blonde didn't let him finish, eyeing him up with guarded eyes. The same way she did when he had just come up in the Glade. Despite the small changes; The blonde pieces of Lia's bangs that covered her forehead, the obvious maturity in Thomas's features—Everything right now reminded them of that first interaction. As if they were simply a familiar face to each other. 

They almost felt like strangers.

On the other hand, Lia was recalling her dream not too long ago. The little boy she was introduced to when she was younger. She knew Thomas had some of his memories, she questioned whether or not he remembered the first day they really met. 

"I'm actually a little hurt you didn't think to take me with you," Lia said, wrapping her arms around herself for warmth. 

"I wasn't sure that's what you wanted," Thomas admitted, breath shaky. 

"You know I'd do anything to get Minho back." Her lip trembled, trying to get a grip on her emotions. She didn't blame Thomas for thinking that way. Lia knew she was the sole reason for it. "Nothing ever stopped me from doing that." 

Then there was complete silence. 

Thomas hesitated for a moment, taking a deep shaky breath as he opened his mouth once more. "Lia, can we talk?"

"There's nothing to talk about, Thomas." The girl was quick to dismiss him, finally moving her feet into the tent the brunette was in. This wasn't the time for that. "I just want to get him back, okay?"

Moving past him, Lia reached her arm above his shoulder. Thomas felt his heartbeat a little faster at their close proximity. Their faces were so close to one another they could feel each other's heavy breathing. He had to admit, Thomas missed being this close to her. On a normal night, he would have called it peaceful, her beautiful eyes almost glowing in the moonlight under the stars. 

"Look, angel—" Thomas's breath hitched at his mistake. Lia paused her movements, keeping still as she registered what he called her. Her cold blue eyes shifted their gaze to the whiskey-eyed ones she knew far too well. Even Lia knew she missed him too. 

They stared at each other for what felt like hours. As though they were mesmerized. Both deliberating over what to do next. Thomas knew this may be the only chance he could get in terms of speaking with her that didn't merely consist of saving Minho or the plan to escape W.C.K.D. 

He wanted to talk about them. 

"Lia, I'm sorry about—"

The blonde was quick to cut him off, "—We should go before anyone else wakes up." 

Lia cleared her throat, quickly moving away from him once she retrieved the emergency bag she kept hidden. She had it prepared in case something like this would happen. Her katanas are kept perfectly under the thick fabric. 

The blue-eyed girl was distracting herself. She hated to admit it, but her heart was beating rapidly against her chest. Thomas wanted to talk to her and she understood that. But Lia knew now wasn't the time to discuss their relationship, or what it once was anyway. 

Slinging the straps of her katanas over her shoulders, she adjusted her hair and let her katanas rest on her back before wrapping her leg holsters around her tights-covered thighs. Lia found comfort in wearing tights under her shorts to fight against the cold weather. They weren't as restricting as jeans were. 

A million thoughts ran through Thomas's mind. He had known his plan wasn't full proof. He had no idea what the journey would bring. They could get hurt, or even killed. 

"Listen, It's gonna be dangerous," Thomas spoke up, nervously. "I don't want you getting hurt, Lia." 

Lia fishes through the last of the items in her emergency bag. Pulling out the two magnum pistols she had grown accustomed to using. She placed her mother's journal in the bag before slinging it over her arm. Expertly, cocking one of her guns as Thomas watched her. She turns her head towards him, giving him the best reassuring smile she could muster. "Don't worry about me, Thomas. We have to focus on rescuing Minho." 

It wasn't long until they were back to what they were used to for the past six months. Keeping a good enough distance from each other as they gathered what was necessary. 

Luckily, Lia was given her own jeep to use during missions. She dangled the keys in one hand as she followed Thomas up a metal ladder where her jeep was parked. Lia wondered whether or not it was a good idea to go on their own. W.C.K.D was sure to have armed guards everywhere. The cranks were another problem she was sure they'll be facing soon.  

"Where do you think you two are going then?" 

Lia looks up, eyes wide as a lamp turns on. Newt stood before her, all geared up in front of her truck. His eyes shifting from her to Thomas in an almost scolding manner. 

"Newt." Thomas started, shoulders dropped, only for Newt to beat him to it. 

Everyone has a bit of a habit of that tonight. He thought. 

"Don't be a twat about it." The British boy's accent rings through their ears as he made his way towards the two. "I'm already in." Newt takes the bag from Thomas's hands, motioning for Lia to follow behind him to the jeep. "Come on."

"No." Thomas shook his head, disapprovingly. "No, not this time."

"Look, even if we find Minho, there's no guarantee we make it back from this." Lia simply watched the two, understanding both parties. But she knew how much Minho meant to Newt too. They were family after all. 

"Well, you'll need all the help you can get then, won't you?" Newt tells them, opening the car's handle causing the light inside the jeep to turn on, revealing Frypan behind the wheel. I swore I locked that jeep. Lia thought. 

Feeling the sides of her lips tug, Lia's brow rose at the two Gladers who sent them soft, cheeky smiles. It had certainly been a while since she's seen those expressions from them. Thomas scoffed in disbelief, pondering for a second. 

"Well, we started this together. May as well end it that way, too." Newt tilts his head towards the blonde girl, his smile widening into a grin. 

"Lia?" 

With a light shrug, the girl nods. "I'm not opposed." Taking a step towards Newt, Lia sends him a tiny but genuine smile. Newt knew she was still trying to keep herself guarded but he was happy nonetheless that she gave a real smile for once. 

Lia moved toward the opened door, patting Frypan on the shoulder. "I'm driving though." She showed the former cook the car keys. 

"Yeah, yeah." Frypan playfully rolled his eyes. 

The three Gladers shared a soft glance, knowing they had a clear goal in mind. Minho was an important asset to their group. For the first time, Thomas could see Lia's lack of presence even when it came to Frypan and Newt. People she'd technically known longer than him. Sometimes Thomas forgot Lia doesn't have the same memories he did. 

"Okay." Thomas finally snapped out of it, his mind returning to the actual plan of the night. They all turned to the brunette, listening closely. "Let's go get him back."

✥✥✥

MANDATORY INFECTION CHECK

Lia scoffed at the large sign they pass. It had been a couple of hours since they've left the Right Arm. The sun had now fully risen. Surprisingly, her katanas weren't uncomfortable on her back as she drove. It was a peaceful ride so far. Frypan and Newt sat comfortably in the back seat with Thomas on the passenger's, acting as her navigator. 

She had thought about what almost happened with Thomas back at the camp. The way they were so close to each other. The feeling of his breath fanning over her lips. The once familiar gravitational pull urged her to get close to him again. Even Newt's words resonated in her head. 

You don't have to endure this on your own.

Pursing her lips, she gripped the wheel tighter once they had reached what looked to be a tunnel. She needed to set aside her problems. Her sole focus should be on Minho right now. It seemed the tunnel was the only path they could go through to get to the city. The entire area looked run down. Abandoned buildings surrounded them. 

"Cozy," Lia commented sarcastically once she stepped on the pedal. Parking her jeep just a few feet away from the entrance of the tunnel. 

Hopping out of the jeep, the four made their way to inspect the pathway. Newt squinted his eyes, seeing if he could decipher what was hidden in the depths of the dark tunnel. 

"You want us to go in there?" The British boy questioned, staring inside. "I don't wanna come across as too negative but if I was a Crank, that's exactly where I would be."

Lia shared an apprehensive look with the boys, shifting on her feet. She had a bad feeling about this. "Isn't there another way we could go through?" The girl asked, trying to get a good look at what's inside. Her eyes looked around blankly.

"I don't think we have much of a choice," Thomas told them, eyeing the crumpled map he held. 

"All right." Newt sighed, beginning to walk back to the jeep. "I get shotgun." 

"Can I drive?" Frypan sent Lia a pleading look, earning a scoff from the girl. 

"Sure, Fry." 

Walking a few steps back towards the jeep, Lia's footsteps crackled against the dirt under her boots. Keeping her eyes on the eerie entrance of the tunnel. Her mind was still against what they were about to do. 

⫸ Metanoia: The Death Cure ⫷

(We love our stubborn baby girl^^)

Note: Okay, so some of yall might be confused with Lia's dreams. Don't worry, it's intentional hehe but anyway as I've mentioned in the previous chapter's note; Lia doesn't really have her memories. All she gets are quick snippets of them as time goes on. This is due to her brain activities as she fights against W.C.K.D and her journey to get Minho. She doesn't really remember who her mother is and what she completely looks like. I've only added in a few of her flashbacks from "Through the Storm" because they never really slept throughout the film.

Also, the journal is just filled with her mother's notes about the flare and a few entries on her life and experiments. The incidents that involved Lia without her mother are triggered after she reads her mother's journal entries. Like a trigger in her brain.

And just for a visual, Lia wears a dark grey jacket over a black tank top with black shorts and black tights; Think of her in Imogen's Need for Speed outfit but in shorts

Lastly, some gifs I put in may not have Lia with bangs (bc the universe hates me or I'm just stupid for using the minimum amount of Imogen Poots movies with her having bangs) but she does have them in this book lol it's a metaphor for her finding out who her true self is and all that and the fact that most girls cut their hair after a breakup...myself included...hehe...er...

{ Thomas and Lia's Song Theme at the moment: Strange | Celeste,, it hits hard guys }

Have a happy Dylan behind-the-scene~

Please vote / comment / share if you enjoyed it.

Please don't be a ghost reader

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

124K 3.3K 39
A promise held them together. A promise between the only girl and the blonde boy. It's the glue in their friendship, but realization comes into play...
15.5K 264 20
They made it out of the maze. Not all of them but most of them. The bond between them growing as they begin to make new friends on the way. The relat...
151K 3.4K 30
she began her new life completely alone, surrounded by endless stone walls, pounding voices in her head, and a resounding feeling of hollowness insid...
61.5K 1.6K 42
Teresa wasn't the first girl to come up in the Box. Three years before the arrival of Thomas and Teresa, came Tanya, the Glade's first girl. As an...