Dissenter's Rise Book 1: Smok...

Por EnvyinEloquence

Set in the post-apocalyptic wasteland of former San Francisco, wolves are the dominant race. But life is not... Más

The Dissenter's Rise Book 1: Smoke-Filled Sky
Dissenter's rise: Chapter 1
Dissenter's Rise: Chapter 3

Dissenter's Rise: Chapter 2

31 0 0
Por EnvyinEloquence

Chapter 2

A Heart and a Twist

Streaks of morning sunlight glinted across the somber walls of Alcatraz--known to the wolves as the Ash Den. Phyre's pelt was glowing like fire as she looked fondly at the six puppies that were bouncing around boisterously and tackling each other.

She'd volunteered to watch the two different litters while their mothers, Ratha and Alyth, went off the island for a day's precious getaway.

"Tag, you're it!" a tawny gold female barked playfully as she tapped her paw up against Phyre's shoulder.

Phyre rolled her eyes in amusement at the little pup. She decided to play along with the little puppies. Jogging effortlessly, she tagged Tain. Soon, a chase had broken out as Phyre sideswiped Tain's "tag-back" before he plowed past her, putting him right in front of Thistle.

Tain's longer legs gave him the slight advantage, and he just barley managed to stick his paw out to success. "Ahg!" Thistle whined. "I'm always it!"

"So is everybody else. Just play the game you two," Canisp a petty white pup told him squarely.

"Shut up weakling!" Thistle snarled back.

"Thistle!" Phyre scolded. She couldn't believe this pup's attitude toward games. He was exceptionally nice around most of the pack, but when it came to games, his manners turned to sawdust.

"Well maybe you aren't very fast genius!" she fired back.

As Thistle's hackles rose, there was a jolt of movement as Chunk-- and extremely large male pup--collided into the air-born Thistle. It knocked him to the ground as Canisp's eyes shown with gratitude. Like her mother, she was a fragile looking thing, and would not have been able to withstand Thistle's blow. Before Phyre could pull them apart, Fleer showed up on the scene and let out a loud "woof" that shook the fury out of both male pups.

"That's enough!" Fleer ordered. "What in the name of Shivon and Crosion is the matter with you?" he asked.

Silence.

"I suggest you two play nice," he continued.

Hurried nods were given as the icy terror they were feeling gripped their hearts. Phyre gave Fleer a thankful look before noticing that he was padding over.

"You looked like you needed some help," he teased.

"I had it all under control!" she snapped back.

"That's what you call control?" he asked quizzically, an eyebrow raised.

"What are you doing here at the Rock anyways? Shouldn't you be on some patrol?"

"Ahh, a casual change of the subject," he said with all of his charm.

Phyre couldn't help gasping out a giggle.

"The team's got the day off after yesterday's battle."

"I see. You're not out gorging yourself on food?" she questioned, aware that battle teams always ate first. It was a comment of both amusement, but their was a harsh meaning behind them as well.

"My turn to change to subject," he answered, catching her drift. "Are you stuck here all day?"

"I'm afraid so," she replied, sarcasm in her voice.

"That's too bad for you because I was going to ask you to go out to lunch," he confessed in a dream-like tone.

"Then I guess it sucks to be you," she commented as she lay her head down to rest on her paws, a brief yawn escaping her throat.

"What?" he gasped in confusion.

"The thing is," she started in a very flirty voice, "I'm only free for dinner, and since you wanted to go to lunch..." she trailed off, dragging it out on purpose as though she was hinting at something.

"Dinners fine!" he assured her hastily.

"Good, I'll meet you at the Dining Hall at 5:30," she told him.

He bowed kindly before turning to run off. Phyre watched him go as her heartbeat slowed to a normal beat once more. A startling howl of pain sent Phyre's mind back on track to the wolves at hand. Her head whipped around as she bounded over to find Canisp whimpering on the ground, holding a single paw up in the air.

"What happened this time?" Phyre questioned, her tone unpleasant.

"We were racing, and I twisted my paw because Thistle ran into me partially," the white pup explained.

"Did not!" Thistle protested.

"Mmm hmm!" Phyre commented knowingly. "Well now we all have to go see Shiva so that Canisp can get her paw tended too."

"Ugh!" another male voice, Tucker breathed in annoyance.

Being that Canisp was still younger, Phyre was still able too carry her by her scruff most of the way.

"I don't like Shiva. She's so dark and gloomy...she scares me," Dawn confessed as she walked with Tain.

Shiva was the oldest wolf in the pack, perhaps the oldest wolf alive period. She kept to herself mostly, staying hidden in a near pitch-black cellar room without any light. Her coat was a rich black itself, and was accommodated by these rich blue eyes. She was blind, but she did posses some herbal talent that kept most of the pack members going. Sometimes though ,there was just nothing she could do.

"Hush children," Phyre directed softly as they approached the dark room. Phyre calmly let her pelt brush up against the entry way to signal to the blind wolf their presence without startling her.

"Shiva, It is I, Phyre, and I've brought the pups here. One of them is injured."

"You don't have to do that stuff you know! My eyes may be bad, but my sense of smell and hearing are perfectly good!" she snapped before giving a soft grunt and then murmuring on about the subject to herself. "Well don't just stand there looking like idiots, bring her over here, or are you going to make an old hag like myself march over there?"

Phyre came slowly because she could hardly see. Her eyes hadn't yet adjusted, but she made it eventually. Shiva huffed, annoyed, but Phyre only laughed silently with amusement.

"Now that you're finally over here, let me see that paw."

Phyre was surprised at how lightly the word rolled off of her tongue, considering she couldn't really see.

"How can you see it Shiva?" Thistle asked her.

Phyre bristled and was getting ready to cuff him on the ear. How rude could you get?

"Calm yourself dear," Shiva answered. It took Phyre a moment to realize that the old wolf had been talking to her.

"How did you..." Phyre started to say as she gradually trailed off.

"I'm a good guesser, but my real power comes with my imagination. Imagination is truly a gift of power little ones. Your mind knows many things, and can so put your sense together to get a sort of feeling. Imagination is the thing that unknowingly soars through us, lifting us higher and higher until it explodes into a world of wonder. You'll understand it someday."

Phyre imagined the pups being awestruck as they sat and listened to the she-wolf's wisdom. Phyre was surprised about how much those words really meant, and how much truth lay in them.

"But, how did imagination come to be?" Dawn questioned curiously.

"Well young one's, as soon as I get Canisp all comfy, I'll tell you all a little story."

"Yeah!" the pups all chided in together.

"Well I don't see why not," Phyre agreed. "I'd like to hear this one myself."

"Lay down here," Shiva instructed to Canisp with a swish of her tail.

Canisp slumped to the ground in exhaustion. After that, Shiva rubbed her paw over Canisp's foreleg, earning her a cry of pain from Canisp. Her eyes clouded with sorrow a she felt the crooked bone underneath the fur and tissues. Shiva paused when she came to the middle of Canisp's leg.

"What...what's the matter?" Canisp pried out worriedly.

"I'm afraid it not just a twist, you're leg is broken."

Canisp was speechless.

"What?" Tain called out abruptly. "There must be something you can do for her!" he wailed.

"I'm afraid we can only hope for her leg to heal in time, on its own. It'll take time and absolutely no pressure on it at all. All I've got is pain killing herbs."

"So I can't...run anymore?" Canisp gulped before an outburst from Tain.

"I hope you're happy Thistle!" Tain snapped with an evil scowl on his face, He could feel what he thought was anger bubbling up inside of him, yet he knew that most of it was pure sadness. Sadness for his sister who might never again feel the coolness of the water on the ocean's shore lapping at her feet as she raced through the waves. The squish of the lush grass that remained and dew seeping between her paw pads. Most of all, the feeling of life. He couldn't take it anymore as he burst out the door.

"Shiva can you watch the children fro a few moments. I need to go talk to him," Phyre whispered in a hushed voice.

She nodded as Phyre's tail whisped out the door. "Why don't we hear that story now hmm?" Shiva reminded in hopes of taking their minds off of their friends and siblings, and cheering them up a bit.

The old she-wolf took it upon herself to give Canisp a teathered and torn up feather pillow that had been found in the disaster wake of the city to rest her leg on as she gave her pain herbs.

"Mm," Canisp started as she licked them up and chewed them. "They taste like mint."

"That's only to mask the bad taste dear," she promised. "Now," she began, "when the first wolves were created by Shivhan, goddess of creation, and Crosion, god of the wolf--a lone female known as Rama had believed she had found the perfect mera at last. You have to understand that back then, there was only black and white-- no shades of gray. You either agreed or disagreed. This particular fera wanted her ceremony to be special. There was hardly any color to the world with little landscaping other than a few trees, and a fluffy blanket of snow. She wanted something new," Shiva said before pausing to take a quick glance at Canisp. The young pup seemed to be handling her problem extremely well for something so serious. Canisp was staring at her intently, obviously begging her to continue.

"Rama had heard talk of how Shivhan and Crosion's son possessed a certain gift that was rumored to be unthinkable and very special indeed. One so valuable that it was not to be shared with the common wolf. And so, for centuries, the mind of the wolf had been dull. Only thoughts of carrying on their species had crossed their mind...life or death. Rama wanted it.

She wanted it with such a passion that one day, Rama decided that she would use all of her charm and grow close to the son; close enough to gain hold of this magical gift.

So, when the young mera was alone in one of the meadows, she stepped into his view, making sure he could see her gorgeous golden brown coat as she stepped closer with a seductive posture.

He seemed to love her immediately and he took her inside the palace den's walls to show her to his chambers. No one can say for sure whether or not it was the son's lust or true love that caused the mess, but the point was, it was about to change the fate of wolf-kind.

In the center of his chambers, a comfortable den with the rarest and softest items was constructed, big enough for more than one."

"Eww!" Dawn's voice interrupted. "They aren't going to...do it are they?"

"No young one, don't interrupt," Shiva scolded. Dawn bent her head a bit and allowed her ears to shrink back in apology, but her posture jumped right back into interest soon after that. As the pups quieted, Shiva continued with her story.

"In the center of his chambers, an ivory colored chalice stood on a podium that had long vines carved into it. A purple aura-like substance swirled in the chalice. 'Ah, the gifted chalice,' Rama whispered greedily.

'What did you just say,' the male wolf started, his eyes widening as he paused in suspicion.

'Nevermind,' she told him hurriedly, scolding herself for almost blowing her cover so easily. 'Would it be inappropriate for me to ask for some food?' she ventured, making herself sound timid. In truth, she had shared an elk with her mate prior to her scheme.

At first, the male seemed reluctant and suspicious, for he had not shaken off her comment from earlier, but he didn't want to be rude. He would just have to keep an eye on her. 'Nothing would make me happier,' he said nobly. 'Wait here while I get us something.'

Rama nodded sweetly as the mera turned and left the chambers. The second he left, she knew she had only a few minutes before he would return to find his prized possession and Rama, gone. She planned to be outside the palace dens before he could stop her."

"What!" Dawn broke in once more, outraged. "The bad guy wins the chalice?!" she growled in questioning disbelief.

"Listen to the rest of the story!" Shiva hissed. Dawn hushed up immediately.

"As I was saying..." she continued, "Rama bolted out the door, chalice clamped in her jaws. There was no way she could have known that the mera had waited behind the corner, ready to give chase instead of going for food. He bolted after her. Rama heard claws scrabbling on the floor behind her. Turning around, she saw the mera chasing after her. She quickened her pace, fear and determination driving her muscles to the max. He was fast, but she was faster. She very soon outran him.

He could do nothing. He howled in mourning, his anger rising and his ruckus summoned Shivhan and Crosion. When asked what the problem was, he told them his story.

Enraged, they declared that this she-wolf must be killed for fear of them contaminating the wolf population into those like humans... corrupt, greedy, and consumed by jealousy, and to punish her for her crimes.

"No!" the mera protested. "For I loved this fera, if only just for a time, but I still loved her. I loved her just as much as my imagination. Just let her go; I am the one who has done wrong. I have kept the gift for myself, and in that way, I have caused the wolves to grow nosy and greedy, a force I do not wish to bestow upon them."

"If that is what you wish, then it can have interesting outcome indeed," Crosion reasoned. "I warn you son of mine, if she causes anymore trouble, then we will be forced to take action." The mera ducked his head, speeding off away from his parents.

As for Rama, the more she ran, the more contents spilled out. Behind her, fields of colored wildflowers sprouted instantly. Leafy maples towered high with the pine trees. Mountains grew in the distance, and the ocean's waves formed.

It had all happened because Rama herself had been absorbing the aura's power, and was therefore unaware and wondering about a different world, thus creating one. As it spread and multiplied, other wolves began to think and imagine until at long last, a surprised Rama realized that the purple substance had disappeared, and all she held was an empty cup. Behind her was a new world, one she had never known and it was truly beautiful to her. Now that the cup was empty however, their was no more drastic change of the atmosphere and scenery, and the gift given to other wolves became solely fantasized thoughts.

While all the happiness and emotion entered the world, the son wallowed more and more in sadness. He became so depressed that not even Shivhan and Crosion could cheer him up.

When her mate discovered what she had done, it angered him greatly and he left her without another word. He was sure that Crosion and Shivhan would be very angry with her and he didn't want the bad energy channeled toward him. So, with a broken heart, Rama left in newly found sorrow and incredible guilt. When she realized that she could no longer bear the guilt, she dragged herself, ill-groomed and all, back to the palace dens. It had taken her months to realize that you didn't take from a friend, or steal from anyone, and that she truly loved the mera prince. Rama just hoped he would take her back.

When Rama showed up at the entrance to the den, it was Shivan who answered. Rama's tail immediately rushed in between her legs as she dipped her head in apology. Rama expected the goddess to be angry beyond all reason, but then, why hadn't she punished Rama yet? Instead, the words that came out of Shivhan's mouth were enough to make Rama hold her breath.

"If you can cheer my son up," Shivhan growled challengingly, "then all is forgiven."

Rama's hopes soared as she raced up to the son's chambers. "Mera?" she questioned softly, the greeting she had called to him when they had first spoken with one another. The son perked his head up.

"I was told by the wisest wolves that we were meant to be together, that you were the one, yet you betrayed me. Why?" he started.

'Complicated first words,' she started out, but she could see this was no time for charm. She tried again, 'Because at the time, I loved another,' she said, weaving her tale. When she was done, the mera was looking at her with kinder eyes.

"I must forgive you for the hurt you have bestowed upon me," he said. "So that we can both live in happiness and peace."

"One last thing," she started, trotting toward him cautiously. She licked him fondly on the muzzle. "Not a day went by afterwards that I didn't think of you. It took me all this time to realize that I love you Mera. Now might I have a name to call you by?" she teased in question.

"It's Tola," he replied, hugging the fera around her neck as he licked her ear. The two embraced and headed over to tell Tola's parents of their happiness. But, Tola's sorrow left a stain on the way of the wolf that is often with us," Shiva finished at last.

"Not to be rude," Tucker started. "But isn't that how sorrow and guilt came to be?"

\ "It is a story of whatever you focus on...a story of many things," she retorted, wisely, yet slightly annoyed.

At that moment, Phyre returned with a slightly cheered up Tain. "How was the story?" Phyre questioned.

"It was great!" all of the pups chimed, except for a stubborn Thistle.

"I'm glad, but we best be going now. Alyss must be worried out of her fur."

"I bid you farewell then Phyre and pups! I'll take good care of this young one!" she said, gesturing to Canisp who looked sad to see her family go, but seemed excited to hear more of Shiva's tales. The other pups sent a chorus of "byes" behind them as they padded out after Tain and Phyre.

Seguir leyendo