Dissenter's Rise: Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Heart and a Twist

Streaks of morning sunlight glinted across the somber walls of Alcatraz--known to the wolves as the Ash Den. Phyre's pelt was glowing like fire as she looked fondly at the six puppies that were bouncing around boisterously and tackling each other.

She'd volunteered to watch the two different litters while their mothers, Ratha and Alyth, went off the island for a day's precious getaway.

"Tag, you're it!" a tawny gold female barked playfully as she tapped her paw up against Phyre's shoulder.

Phyre rolled her eyes in amusement at the little pup. She decided to play along with the little puppies. Jogging effortlessly, she tagged Tain. Soon, a chase had broken out as Phyre sideswiped Tain's "tag-back" before he plowed past her, putting him right in front of Thistle.

Tain's longer legs gave him the slight advantage, and he just barley managed to stick his paw out to success. "Ahg!" Thistle whined. "I'm always it!"

"So is everybody else. Just play the game you two," Canisp a petty white pup told him squarely.

"Shut up weakling!" Thistle snarled back.

"Thistle!" Phyre scolded. She couldn't believe this pup's attitude toward games. He was exceptionally nice around most of the pack, but when it came to games, his manners turned to sawdust.

"Well maybe you aren't very fast genius!" she fired back.

As Thistle's hackles rose, there was a jolt of movement as Chunk-- and extremely large male pup--collided into the air-born Thistle. It knocked him to the ground as Canisp's eyes shown with gratitude. Like her mother, she was a fragile looking thing, and would not have been able to withstand Thistle's blow. Before Phyre could pull them apart, Fleer showed up on the scene and let out a loud "woof" that shook the fury out of both male pups.

"That's enough!" Fleer ordered. "What in the name of Shivon and Crosion is the matter with you?" he asked.

Silence.

"I suggest you two play nice," he continued.

Hurried nods were given as the icy terror they were feeling gripped their hearts. Phyre gave Fleer a thankful look before noticing that he was padding over.

"You looked like you needed some help," he teased.

"I had it all under control!" she snapped back.

"That's what you call control?" he asked quizzically, an eyebrow raised.

"What are you doing here at the Rock anyways? Shouldn't you be on some patrol?"

"Ahh, a casual change of the subject," he said with all of his charm.

Phyre couldn't help gasping out a giggle.

"The team's got the day off after yesterday's battle."

"I see. You're not out gorging yourself on food?" she questioned, aware that battle teams always ate first. It was a comment of both amusement, but their was a harsh meaning behind them as well.

"My turn to change to subject," he answered, catching her drift. "Are you stuck here all day?"

"I'm afraid so," she replied, sarcasm in her voice.

"That's too bad for you because I was going to ask you to go out to lunch," he confessed in a dream-like tone.

"Then I guess it sucks to be you," she commented as she lay her head down to rest on her paws, a brief yawn escaping her throat.