Dollhouse

By jesiwhitex

For the past five years, I've loved him from afar. He became my awakening. My escape. Being the daughter of a... More

i
ii
iii
A E S T H E T I C S
DEPRESSION AWARENESS
prologue | part one
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
part two
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
twenty-nine
E P I L O G U E
FUN FACTS
end of the year updates

ten

366 30 52
By jesiwhitex

STAY, GRACIE ABRAMS

She's disappeared.

She has answered none of my calls and text messages. Genesis' step-mom called me the next day - after our, I love you's - to tell me Genesis would be indisposed for the next few days. Those few days turned into two weeks. Was she having second thoughts? She couldn't be, right?

Her father was on my agenda today. Perhaps he could shed a light. Breadcrumbs. A damn beacon. Anything.

There's a knock on my office door as I finish that thought.

"Mr. Taylor, your ten o'clock is here," Crystal peaks her head into my office.

"Okay, let them in," I reply. I grab the documents in front of them, place them into their respective folder, and neatly put them aside.

"Mr. Ferreira," I stand from my desk to greet him.

"Matthew," he extends his hand to me when we reach each other.

"It's a pleasure to have you here again, sir," I shake his hand. "Please have a seat."

"Pleasure's all mine," he says. "Thank you."

"I understand you wanted to complete the re-establishment of our contract?" I ask as I settle back down in my chair.

"Yes," he replies. He pulls out a folder. "I signed the contract on my side. I will continue to provide make-up supplies for your magazine as a promotion for both of us. As well as for your dancers at Monarch Manor."

I look through all the pages of the contract we had established once upon a time, six years ago.

"It looks great," I say and sign all the approximate spots. "I will have Crystal send the signed copy."

"Awesome," Adrian says. "It's not the only thing I'm here for."

"Oh?"

"I'm sure you know my daughter has ghosted you, per se," he says.

I squirm in my seat. "We can say that."

"It wasn't on purpose. I had to check my daughter into a rehabilitation center two weeks ago. She suffered a depressive episode because she stopped taking her medication. She's back home, but she's not completely herself yet. I thought, perhaps, you'd be able to help with that."

I narrow my eyes on him, confused. He's not asking that I-?

"What are you asking, exactly?"

Adrian chuckles. "Taylor, don't worry. I'm not asking you to woo her depression away. I'm asking you to hang out with her, as the kids say. Watch some Netflix... without the chill. You'll respect the home you're being invited into."

"Of course, sir," I reply. "Always."

"Preferably today. It's Alexandra's death anniversary."

I nod in agreement, understanding his stance.

"Great," Adrian says. "I'll let you complete your work."

With that, I shake his hand and he leaves my office. I ask Crystal to come into my office and print a copy of the contract Adrian brought in. I do my damn hardest to get everything I need to get done so I can leave. So, I can bring as much comfort to Genesis as I can. I'm sure this day will be extremely difficult for her. Not only had she lost her older sister, but also lost her mother in a fatal accident the year after.

***

I park outside of their mansion. The home is beautiful and one of the largest in the area. The green of the plants along the front facade contrasts against the beige of the masonry. I've been here before. I still remember the details of this house as I'm being let in. A large courtyard in the center featured a fountain, imported columns, and a solar-heated pool that extends to the outside of the courtyard. It also has a jacuzzi, a fire pit, and a waterfall.

I'm escorted through the courtyard to the home's main entrance, where I'm greeted by the marble staircase matching the Marfil marble floors that lead upstairs to their bedrooms. An Asfour crystal chandelier hangs high on the beige-painted ceiling. I stand at the end of the staircase, debating whether I should climb up to Genesis' bedroom when I hear footsteps to my left. Marcos Genesis' younger brother appears from the living room.

"You're Matthew Taylor, I presume?"

"Yes." I shake his hand when he offers it.

"She's talked about you a lot to me," Marcos says.

"Oh," I say. "I've heard great things about you, too."

"I'll lead you to her bedroom." he motions towards the stairs.

"Thanks," I say. As we climb up, I give in to the question of the year, "Would you be able to tell me why she wears that platinum blonde wig?"

Marcos smiles. "She wears that wig when she's ready to move on with her life. If she wears it with you and removes it, she's comfortable being herself with you."

"And the red one?"

"That's reserved for her anger and if she doesn't trust someone," Marcos explains.

I nod. "That makes sense."

Marcos leads me into her bedroom, the second master bedroom in this home. The walls are painted lavender. I smile at the blue-covered bed. My favorite color. The monarch butterflies on the wall behind her bed do not go unseen. The nightstands and furniture in the bedroom are white. There's a white fluffy rug on the floor before a vanity with multiple Ferreira Cosmetics merchandise. There is absolutely no trace of that pink bedroom with stuffed animals she shared with her sister, Valentina. One I had seen years ago when her mother died.

Now, I find myself in the bathroom of a matching couple to the walls in her bedroom. There are butterflies of various purple shades adorning the walls.

Genesis has got her back to the door, sitting in the round bathtub in the center of the bathroom. Her step-sister, Sarah, helps her to bathe. Sarah smiles as she sees me.

"Hey, someone's here to see you," Sarah tells Genesis.

Genesis nods slightly. "Okay."

Sarah stands from the bathtub's marble rim.

"She's done," she says. "I'll get her into a robe and you can help her to her bed."

I nod. I let her do the work I'm sure she's already familiar with. When she's done, she exits the bathroom after giving my shoulder a reassuring squeeze. Genesis sits on the edge of the bathtub. I approach her, crouching down to her level.

"Hi, baby," I speak softly.

"Hi," she whispers. "I'm sorry you have to see me like this."

"It's okay," I reply. "I'll be here whenever you need me. Would you like to go lay down?"

Genesis nods. I take her hands to help her up and lead her out of the bathroom. I move her comforter aside so she can tuck in. She lies down in between her sheets. I get on her bed, behind her, on top of her sheets, and cuddle against her. She accepts my touch.

"Thank you for loving me," she says so quietly I almost miss it.

I plant a kiss on her head. "Minx, I'll love you no matter what."

"Even if I'm broken?" she questions further.

"Even at your worst," I reply.

"You may regret that," she says.

"Never."

Huh, 'never' is the word of the year

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69 20 30
Nothing in my life had ever made sense. They told me it was normal, I'd grow into who I was supposed to be, that things would get better; here I am n...
527 23 15
I like inflicting pain. Not on others but on myself. Some people would call me depressed but I'm not. If anything the pain makes me happy. I started...
22.7K 811 40
"THIS IS ALL SO TWO SIDED!! WHEN WILL YOU JUST GET OUT OF MY HEAD?!" "A lot of things from the past will come to haunt you, mentally, physically, or...