Broken Sky

By anya_jayvyn

"It's you and me. Together," he says. "Us against the world." ***** All my life, I've never trusted men. The... More

Warnings (Important. Please Read)
00| Prologue: The Girl in My Dreams
01| The Hell I Live in
02| Meeting You
03| The Boy With Dreams
04| The Shy Girl
05| Falling
06| Unexpected Encounter
07| You're Beautiful
08| Crave
09| A Night to Remember
10| The End of Me
11| Trace of Her
12| The Monster in Me
13| Turning Page
14| When We Meet Again
15| A New Friend
16| The Space Between Us
17| The Unshed Tears
18| Silent
19| The Haunting Past
20| Something About Her
21| A Surprise
22| Something Wicked
23| Danger
24| Another Darkness
25| Save Me
26| The Worst of Me
27| Always There
28| Feelings
29| Crushed Heart
30| Best Friends
31| Opened Wounds
32| Broken Eyes
33| All You Need to Know
34| Healed
35| New Us
36| Mission Impossible
37| Boyfriend
38| Together
39| One Again
40| Us Against the World
41| No Secrets
42| Morning Bliss
43| Trouble
44| Next to the Bad Boy
45| Where You Are
46| Promise Me
47| The Voice of a Stranger
48| Where It All Began
49| Meeting the Spencers
51| Heartwarming
52| The Unspoken Words
53| Taken
54| Misery
55| The Deal
56| Dead End
57| The Letter
58| Reality
59| Wounded
60| Between Life and Death
61| Hold My Hand
62| With You
63| Epilogue: Under the Sky
Special Chapter
Author's Notes

50| Reunion

81.1K 3.8K 696
By anya_jayvyn

Once we enter the house, we're greeted by Jake's Dad. Despite the rumors about how powerful Nathaniel Spencer is, he seems so humble, and I feel that just by looking at the way he laughs when he finally meets us.

"Welcome to our home, Lais," he greets me. "We've been waiting to see you for a long long time. Jake just can't keep you hidden from us forever, right?" he jokes, making his son roll his eyes.

I wonder if they've been talking about me all this time -- my heart flutters at that thought.

"Come on, Dad," Jake mutters, and I find it adorable to hear their father-and-son banter. I haven't had any figure of a real father, and so I sometimes wonder what it's like to have one.

"Thank you for inviting me." I smile.

I can't help but still feel nervous even though they don't give me any reason to.

"Oh please make yourself at home, Lais." Nathaniel returns my smile with a very warm one. He then turns to Jake and pats his shoulder. "Your mother is in the kitchen."

Jake nods and leads me further into the house, holding my hand. He looks like he can't wait to introduce me to his Mom.

My eyes travel around his home, and this is when I'm reminded again of how different our lives are. This house is so huge.

The interior, the walls, the fireplace... All of them look so extravagant. And my assumption was right about the ballroom.

I may be right too about the theater and wine cellar -- I may just haven't seen them.

When we reach the kitchen, I catch sight of his Mom preparing our dinner with the help of someone who looks like the butler of the household, and some maids.

Veronica Spencer looks breathtakingly beautiful and elegant even in her 40s -- the pictures of her in the media don't do any justice to the sight before me.

A soft smile touches her lips as she places what seems to be one of our main courses on the counter, her blonde hair tied in a low bun.

Once she notices me, she gasps in delight and pulls me into a tight hug. Then she kisses both of my cheeks.

"I've been dying to see you, Lais. How are you doing, sweetheart?" She stares at me lovingly, and I know now that she and Jake have the same eyes.

It's the same dark blue, filled with the same love and affection.

Veronica's warmth can make me melt into a puddle of water in the snow, and it even almost brings tears to my eyes.

"I'm doing good. Thank you for having me here." I break into a smile.

I'm doing really good, because your son makes me really happy.

If only I could confess that.

"I've brought some little gift," I say, handing her the bottle of wine, and she takes it with happiness skating all over her face.

"Why, you don't have to. Thank you so much, Lais. This is perfect." She beams, and relief washes over me.

Noticing how busy the kitchen looks, I offer to help her, but she refuses right away.

"Please, there's no need," she says. "Just wait until the dinner is served, my dear. It will be ready in a while."

Before I can insist on helping her, Jake pulls my hand.

"Come on, baby. I'll show you around." He grins before turning to his Mom. "Where's Vaughn?"

"In the library." Veronica smiles before the butler asks her some questions regarding the table which she then answers.

Jake drags me out of the kitchen and back into the hallway. We pass the spacious living room, which has a black grand piano at the corner and is surrounded by glass windows showing their beautiful garden.

Then we step into another hallway that seems to lead us to the library.

When we enter it, my breath catches in my throat. There before my eyes is a two-story library, looking so grand.

Next to the tall windows is another beautiful garden filled with tulips.

Vaughn comes into view, standing in front of a cabinet -- he doesn't seem to be aware yet that we're here. Instead, his eyes are locked to the photo frame in his hand, and I catch a glint of sadness in his eyes. A longing.

Then he notices us, placing the photo frame back on the cabinet. A smirk touches his lips as he approaches us.

"Hey man, it's been a while," Jake says before the two boys give each other a quick man hug.

"Hi, Lais," Vaughn greets me. "Took him long enough, huh?" he mocks Jake for being all reluctant in the beginning, earning a punch from Jake in the stomach. "Ouch."

Jake's face twists in irritation, not expecting his best friend to embarrass him, and I have to bite my chuckle. Vaughn laughs.

It's a relief to see that Vaughn has fully recovered from his injury. He doesn't look like a person who has been shot.

While the two boys walk in front of me, I glance at the photo frame that Vaughn was looking at earlier. Among all the other frames, it's the picture of Melanie when she graduated high school, her graduate cap on her head, a cheerful smile on her lips.

Jake and Vaughn flop themselves onto the couch next to the window, while I can't stop myself from wandering inside this amazing library, exploring the place.

The two best friends might have a lot to catch up to, anyway.

I make my way down the corridor between the shelves. There are so many books, coming from various sections.

I feel like you can find any books that you're looking for in here. I stop to explore some interesting books about business strategy, children education, politics and the world's economy.

There are also limited editions of some famous people' autobiographies. And then there are Shakespeare's works as well.

Gosh. This is like a dream home. If I have a library like this, I don't think that I'll ever step out of my house.

When I finally walk back toward the couch, I notice that Jake and Vaughn are having a deep conversation. I hear them say something about Melanie, and judging by the way Vaughn is listening intently to Jake's every word as Jake is telling him a story, they're indeed talking about her.

I see that Jake is updating Vaughn about how Melanie has been doing in Australia.

I decide to give them more time and space, just in case Vaughn wants to open up to the brother of the girl he's in love with.

A few more minutes pass by, and Vaughn is now observing some books inside one of the corridors. I approach Jake and sit down beside him.

"Found anything interesting?" He smiles, pulling me closer to him.

"A lot," I emphasize, making him chuckle. "You know that reading is my hobby. This library is amazing."

He stares at me with amusement in his eyes. "Yeah. I definitely know about that hobby of yours."

I raise my eyebrows. "I know that you like to read too."

He does. He likes to read although not as much as he loves football, definitely.

"Not as much as I love my new hobby."

Now I look at him with wonder.

"Kissing you," he teases before attacking me with short kisses along my lips, jawline, cheeks and neck while tickling me, making me burst into giggles.

My laughter stops short as his phone rings, and we look at the caller.

Melanie

Jake immediately strides toward Vaughn and motions for him to follow him back to the couch. Then he answers the call and presses the speaker on.

"Hi, Mels. What's up?" he asks his sister, who's currently at the other side of the world.

I smile, shaking my head as I notice the grin on my boyfriend's face.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9M 179K 64
Cal Jackson's new life as a rockstar fails to account for one thing: the existence of the girl he loves. ***** "What are you thinking about?" she ask...
922 24 25
"Elle, why? Are you not happy here? Am I doing something wrong...?" His voice seemed to break when he was asking that last question. "No, it's not yo...
298K 9K 33
CRINGE WARNING! First book I ever wrote on here!! -- "Sometimes the person who you are willing to take a bullet for is the person behind the gun." I...
1.2M 31.8K 31
"Zachary." I snickered. He growled playfully as I laughed, dodging his attempt to grab me and took off running in a random direction. I ran with Zac...