Freed Wolf

Siberiantiggy द्वारा

Jess has always been a runner. Ever since she met Chris, her life's been turned upside down. Now she's been... अधिक

Preface
1 Runner
2 Strangers
3 Follow Your Gut
4 Empty
5 Heartbreak
6 Time
7 Carry On
8 Dare
9 Reckless
10 Arms of Another
11 Haunted
12 Home
13 Remember
14 Home Coming
15 Pack
16 Shift
17 Honest
18 Freak...
19 Karma's a Bitch!
20 Idiot
21 Aftermath
22 Witness
23 The Fury of Females
25 Unexpected Allies
26 Hurt
27 Complete
28 One Big Happy Family
29 Dumpster Fire
30 Caimen
31 Bloodlines
32 Unbreakable Willow
33 Stress Relief
34 Trade
35 Have it Your Way!
36 Rules
37 A Friend
38 FML
39 The Other Man
40 Follow Your Gut
41 Bombshell
42 Rock Meets Hard Place
43 Cave
44 Dreamscape
45 Nightmare Reality
46 Roughing It
47 Princess
48 Welcome Back
49 Pillow Talk
50 Google Isn't Your Friend
51 Breaking Bread
52 Do You Dirty
53 Damsel of Distress
54 Peonies over Roses
55 Pasta Lavista
56 Dinner and a Show
57 Anger Issues
58 Fear
59 Blood that Binds Us
60 Clash of Titans
61 Royally Screwed
62 Bonds
63 You're Not Alone
64 She Needs You...
65 Loss
66 Aim to Misbehave
67 Come What May
68 Ashes to Ashes
69 Mercy
70 Bittersweet Surprise
71 Safe
72 Picking up the Pieces
73 Critical
74 Talk
75 Family
76 Good News
77 Star Crossed Lovers
78 Promises
79 Rogue Luna
80 Justice
81 Secrets
82 Check Mate
83 Didn't See that Coming
84 Luna
85 Promises Kept
86 Claimed
Book 4: The Alpha King's Wrath

24 Embrace

17.6K 946 620
Siberiantiggy द्वारा

I couldn't get out of there fast enough! It wasn't Kanes fault, but I was ready to snap on him because of the circumstances even though he was just trying to do what Chris asked.

Now Chris on the other hand... this was going to be ugly. He talks about equality and how shewolves are every bit as capable as males, and yet he leaves me sitting it the dark. Worse, he slipped away while my back was turned. I understand he doesn't want me in harms way, but the feeling is mutual.

"Head in the game princess," Derek whispers. "We can both beat some sense into my brother's thick skull when we are done, but for now you need to forget it all and focus on the here and now."

"Right," I admit, shaking my head as I try to clear my mind.

As we arrive the sounds of battle already in effect hits; growls, snaps, snarls but also screams. The scent is powerful also; the metallic scent of blood hangs heavy in the air as smoke wafts through from the burning buildings below.

The Central Archives are supposed to be neutral ground, off limits to all as it houses the entire race's history. The Guardians didn't believe the Council would respect this so left a small detachment. Clearly they were right to. The confusing bit is that there are council guards on both sides, making it impossible to tell friend from foe.

"What do you feel?" Garrick asks as he surveys the carnage from our ridge.

I close my eyes and push myself to my limits. There is so much at first, but slowly I pick the layers appart. Garrick is the most noise so to speak followed by Derek. Once I filter their energy out I'm able to get rid of all the other Guardians energy.

As I reach further, I hit a foriegn energy that makes me flinch back. It's two actually, remarkably different but both powerful. I don't know who, but one of the corrupt Councilors is with someone else who is equally powerful, but different.

"South side, there's a Councilor, something major is going on with someone equally as powerful," I say scrunching up my nose as I try to make sense of it all.

"You two," Garrick says, nodding at me and Mack. "Get high, if we need a quick out, get it done. Dex, your team will lead the left flank, Damon and Sadie's team will hold the right. Derek, your team is with me to the heart." The leaders nod and instantly the Guardian break off into their teams.

"Stay safe princess," Derek calls, flashing me a determined grin as he takes off after Garrick.

My heart races as I follow Mack to the south side of the ridge. I can feel that no one else around but it does nothing to calm my nerves. There's a giant oak growing over the cliffside that Mack decides will make the perfect lookout location.

The old craggy bark makes for perfect hand holds and the gnarly branches make for easy climbing. Mack points to a branch she wants me to take while she shimmies out on the one opposite. It's massive, nearly 3' in diameter and it sags far past the edge of the cliff. By the time I scoot out far enough to have an unobstructed view I'm left feeling uneasy.

I've never been afraid of heights, and have always been comfortable in tall trees, but to be sitting this far over a sheer rocky cliff has me sweating. Mack on the other hand looks as comfortable as if she's on the ground as she swings her legs like an impatient child.

"It's simple," she whispers with a mischievous grin. "Just don't fall and you're good, if you do... well there won't be anything to think of." I can't help but scrunch my face up at that logic.

'Worst pep talk ever,' Ember growls.

The ground far below is crawling with skirmishes. There are fights in nearly every street between the houses that ring the large square stone building in the middle.

Out of habit I nock an arrow and scan for a target. A glint catches my eye as an archer on a rooftop to the left draws back. Before he can finish aiming, my arrow is loose and hits hard, burying deep into his chest as his shot flies wild and high, hitting the house across from him.

Mack takes a shot picking off another rooftop archer. Quickly we go to work picking off four more rooftop archers, clearing the way for the Guardians to make the final approach across the open towards the archives.

I spot a tired looking defending Guardian that's about to lose so I pick off his attacker, hitting him square in his chest, much to the Guardians relief. Slowly the outlying fights wind down and all that's left is the main fight at the front door and inside the side doors.

There are no more shots to be made from here and nothing to be achieved by staying so Mack makes the call to move. We shimmy down the tree, far faster than it was to climb and stay low as we weave through the brush to make our way closer to the action.

"Mack," I snap, drawing and aiming her way as she instantly drops. My arrow is mid flight as it catches an ambusher in his chest, knocking him back into his buddy. In the blink of an eye she has a blade in hand and dispatches the second guy.

"Smooth," she says with a grin. My heart's racing but the fire in her eyes tells me she's enjoying the thrill of the fight.

'You may need to reconsider your friends,' Ember snickers.

At the edge of the woods we are still too far so she makes the decision to go in closer. I follow her lead as we make our way over to the edge of the houses. Suddenly I feel someone ahead, so I grab her arm, nodding to the second house.

She nods back and motions for me to go around the far side as she kicks the door open, tucking back to the safety of the wall. Two guards rush out, blades raised at her as I take them from behind.

"I could have taken them," she says in a huff.

"No doubt, but you have lots of chances," I say nodding to the guys running towards us. Four men and four wolves.

"That's more like it!" She squeals in delight. She takes one wolf down with her bow then switches to daggers.

I manage to pick off two wolves before the third gets to close for another shot. He leaps, teeth barred but I catch him in the chest with the top blade of the bow. He's dead before he can even be forced to shift back.

With both blades in hand I take on the first man, glancing blows as he tumbles by. Mack lashes out behind me, opening his throat before she spins back and ends the last wolf.

The three remaining men are less confident and hold back a safe distance ringing us. My heart is pounding as I breathe hard, adrenaline coursing through my body. I back up to Mack knowing it's the safest way.

I see her hand drop to her thigh, where I know she keeps a throwing dagger. Catching on I follow suit, sheathing one of the multipurpose blades and palming a throwing dagger. As soon as I feel her flinch I let the blade fly as it lands solidly in the guards throat in front of me. In the time I take out one, she takes out the other two.

"It's official, I'm breaking up with Derek and keeping you as my partner," she says, beaming as we gather our blades and arrows.

"Ha! Chris will love that," I say with a laugh, before remembering that he purposely left me behind.

"Later with that," she says tapping my temple. "You're doing great, stay focused."

"Right," I nod, falling into step behind her. Slowly we make our way deeper and deeper, picking off guards as we come across them. As we round the last house the main battle comes into sight.

It was disorienting at first, so many pairs and groups fighting; the sounds of growls and screams and the smells. I've always had a sensitive nose but ever since I shifted it's been way worse, nothing prepares you for what a battle smells like. Everything stinks of blood and guts, so heavy in the air you can damn near taste it.

My first shot presents itself suddenly as I spot Derek across the field by the front door, a wolf in each hand as he kicks a third away. Flawlessly my arrow flies, hitting the wolf in his right hand while Mack takes out the left, freeing him to take care of the third. He flashes us a look that both promised a lecture and a thank you.

Derek and his group are suddenly pushed back as a squad of guards spill out the Archive doors. My heart drops at the sight; in the center, an elderly man in black is chained and has clearly been beaten. The real problem is Garrick and the knife held to his throat by a Councilor.

Mack freezes as does the entire field. All eyes are glued to the chained man and Garrick. I have an arrow locked and ready to draw. I look to Mack, heart pounding in my throat as she surveys for a shot. She shakes her head not having a clear line but looks at me, a desperate plea in her eyes.

I'm not too far from her but far enough that my way is clear. I will only have one shot and it will have to be perfect or Garrick will pay the price. Garricks eyes lock with mine and he gives me the slightest nod.

Fuck.

With a deep breath I focus on the shot; it's at the max for my skill and range. I push the background noise and energy away as I force my racing heart to calm. There's only one shot that will drop him on the spot, the sweet spot where his neck meets the back of his skull.

I can see him talking but no words make it to my ears. With a final slow breath out and my eyes locked on target, I release as my heart stops. As if in slow motion I watch my arrow fly over the crowd of stunned warriors as it hits true with a sickening thwack.

The Councilor crumples and all hell breaks loose. Several guards turn on us as the fighting resumes. I empty my quiver and it doesn't make a dent as Mack does the same. My heart hammers as they close in on us.

The bow staff proves viciously effective as it works like an extension of myself. I fight back to back with Mack, trying to hold my own, but panic threatens to take over as they close in. No matter how many we take down, two more take each fallen ones place.

Just as things look to be at their bleakest a savage roar cuts through the air, freezing everyone. Derek leaps into the middle, followed by a ripped up Dex, large daggers in each hand as they cut their way towards us.

It's the push we need to turn the tide as Mack takes on new fury, cutting the guards down like twigs. I fall into step with her, covering her flank as she cuts her way to the guys. Guardians start cutting in from all directions as the battle finishes up.

"Going off script again Mack?" Quinn chides as she cuts down a guard, covering us. Her dark hair is soaked in blood, practically making her blue eyes glow in contrast.

"What can I say, I had to roll with it and make a move, you guys were having all the fun," Mack says with a sadistic laugh.

"Well then, chop, chop," Quinn chirps, dropping another guard. "Helluva shot Luna, maybe it's a good thing Mack never follows orders."

Numbers make all the difference as the Guardians cut their way to us; skill wise the council guards have nothing on the Guardians. Now that the forces are even the Guardians are making quick work of it.

Relief floods me as Derek takes out the last guard. As the adrenaline recedes my body begins to tremble from it's exertions as I sag against the ruins of the house.

"You good princess?" Derek asks, full of concern as he runs over. He's covered in blood and has numerous wounds though nothing looks pressing. I nod not trusting my voice.

"This doesn't look like the overwatch duty I assigned you to, Wright and Glass," Garrick booms as he walks over. He has that scolding principal's attitude as he approaches us.

"We ran out of targets so we had to improvise," she replies weakly, causing Garrick to raise a brow.

"You don't say," he growls in displeasure. He shifts his gaze between us as a smirk slowly tugs at his serious scowl. "Not bad Luna, but I expect you both to follow orders, regardless of the cost."

"It wasn't an action taken lightly," Mack says stubbornly. Garrick sighs loudly as he walks purposefully back to the central Archive. Mack gives me a quizzical look before shrugging and following him.

The building is substantial from afar, upclose it looks like a fortress. The colossal stone walls leave me feeling uneasy as we pass through massive oak doors. The inside is no less impressive, with bookshelves reaching to the vaulted ceiling. Ornate glass cases hold prized artifacts and stunning art covers the walls from floor to ceiling.

The previously chained man is running around like a madman referencing books and throwing them at Guardians. A young dark blond haired woman follows him around fussing, trying to get him to stop for medical attention.

"There's no time, girl!" He snaps, slapping her hands away.

"But the records! You'll get your blood all over them," she reasons, freezing him in place.

"Blast it all to hell, they are priceless, why didn't you say something sooner?!" He asks, glaring at his bloody hands in disgust.

"I did, Arkham," she grumbles. "As usual, you didn't listen! They are your hands, how can you not notice that they are bleeding?" She asks, scrunching up her face in confusion.

"No time for your sass today, Marjorie, they will come back. Take these volumes, go with them," he orders.

"But we are to be impartial," she says with a frown.

"Clearly the Council adheres to that," he growls.

"Do you have all you need?" Garrick asks, itching to leave.

"She's ready, don't listen to her," Arkham says, shoving a protesting Marjorie towards the door.

"But what about you?!" She shrieks.

"I will be as I always have, this is a job for the young," he says with a soft smile. "Take care of her and the records, they are more precious than you can know," he charges Garrick.

Everything is happening so fast, I have no idea what is going on, but can feel the sense of urgency that hangs heavy in the air. Two Guardians drag the behemoth doors shut locking Arkham inside, leaving me and Garrick standing there staring.

Garrick starts to mumble in some foreign language as I faintly hear Arkham doing the same inside. Without warning he grabs my hand after splitting his palm and mine and presses them against the door. Lightning snaps through me as I sag against it while he finishes his chant.

As soon as I'm able, I pull my hand away but it feels like it burns deep in my bones as it works it's way up my arm. I clutch my arm protectively against my chest as I turn and glare at Garrick.

"What did you do," I growl, narrowing my gaze.

"A blood bond," he says matter-of-factly, like it should have been obvious. "You and the Elder Guardian are the only ones that will be able to reopen the citadel after the war. Do try not to die, Arkham is counting on us."

His callous tone sets me off but before I can react, Derek grabs my arm and begins to drag me back to the safety of the woods.

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

5.7K 119 11
It's been three months since Morana left the Black Forest pack, she misses her mate and is eager to return. But, before she could the Council calls f...
243K 11K 59
**COMPLETED** ( Book 2, can be read as stand alone. )Conceived from a brutal rape, Betsi was hidden from the true world she belonged to. Her father...
My King✔️ RJSS द्वारा

वेरवुल्फ़

339K 8.9K 35
A girl who never seen the real world because she was grown in attic room and never was allowed to go out A Alpha king who thinks that his mate is dea...
64.9K 4.4K 61
*Book 2 of the Destined Series* The clock is ticking for Ryleigh. Duty calls, and she knows she has to leave her mate and new-found friends to return...