The Prince's Visions

By Havecouragebkind

People say that death is not the end. For Evelyn, it's not. After battling cancer for almost four years, deat... More

Disclaimer
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter fourteen
Chapter fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-one
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty three
Chapter Twenty four
Chapter Twenty five
Chapter Twenty six
Chapter Twenty seven
Chapter Twenty eight
Chapter twenty nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter thirty one
Chapter thirty two
Chapter thirty three
Author's Note
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty one
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter forty three
Chapter Forty four
Chapter Forty five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty seven
Dedication
Author's Note
Becoming Aredhel

Chapter Nine

4.1K 150 14
By Havecouragebkind

I close the library door behind me, my heart racing in my chest. I then half-walk/half-jog out of the palace and to my talan. I do not stop rushing until I have safely entered my new home, and I slam the door behind me. I lean against the door, feeling the cool oak surface pressing against my back. My chest heaves up and down as I try to catch my breath after the long run.

    So, let me tell you the story of how I came to be in the presence of Galadriel, who can read my mind like a book, and… him.

    Just like yesterday, I practiced sword fighting with Haldir. The other ellyn of Lothlorien arrived on the practice fields after Haldir and I finished practicing and had sat in the soft grass talking about random things (Haldir particularly likes subjects akin to the weather or bows and swords). I left, not feeling comfortable around so many god-like elves, so I naturally went to meet with Galadriel again, since she invited me to come back yesterday. I definitely was not thinking that he would be in there, also.

    When Galadriel told me that Legolas was coming to Lothlorien, I was so excited, yet very, very nervous. I mean, how am I supposed to act normally around him when I know that he is going to play a huge part in my future. I saw him in the Mirror of Galadriel, and by the looks of it, we are going to be more than just friends. So, I was already extremely nervous about meeting him, and I almost went into cardiac arrest when I walked into the library and saw him in the flesh for the very first time. If it’s possible, he was even more perfect than he was in the Mirror.

    I feel like a fool now because of how stupid I must’ve seemed. My cheeks felt as if they would melt off, and I was only in his presence for mere minutes! To make it even worse, I was stuttering, and I must’ve looked like an orc! Embarrassment sweeps throughout my body in a huge tidal wave. He must think I am so strange; whereas, he is like an Adonis in my eyes. And I thought Orlando Bloom was gorgeous.

    Legolas is absolutely breathtaking. Honestly, my hair could never look like his on its best day. His skin somehow looks more luminescent than any of the other elves I have seen. It looks so soft, yet it doesn’t make him look feminine at all. His eyes are a strikingly blue color that sent butterflies swarming into my stomach, and his smile made me blush even harder than I already had been upon seeing him sitting there when I walked into the library.

    There was something about him that singled him out among all other male elves. He is different somehow, and I can’t quite place my finger on what exactly makes him stand out from the others I’ve seen. Legolas looked at me so… so… passionately when I was in the libraryHe looked me in the eyes so deeply as if he could see past them and straight into my soul. His gaze was just like it was in the Mirror. Loving.

    I push away from the door and walk to my wardrobe to find a dress, rolling my eyes at my sappiness. I attempt to ignore the fluttering in my stomach and the longing in my heart that came along with the thoughts of him. I don’t even know him, for goodness’ sake!

        I take out a lavender colored dress, rubbing the velvet material between my fingers before walking to the bathroom with the dress in my hand. I lay the dress on a nearby chair and take off my dirty clothes. I then step into the hot spring inspired bath and begin to bathe. I wash the dirt and grime from my skin and hair, trying out all the different oils and sweet smelling soaps that were laying in a basket by the spring. It takes me a while after bathing to get the willpower to leave the relaxing warm water, but I eventually get out and dry off with the towel that was laying out beside the basket full of soaps.

    I hear a knock at the front door, and I tense, wrapping the towel around me securely. I stand there shivering, my long wet hair sticking to my face and neck in the steam of the bathroom. “Who is it?” I call, praying that this will not end up being an embarrassing situation.

    “It is Arneth, my lady,” her soft voice is muffled by the door, “May I come in?”

    I sigh in relief. “Yes, of course,” I call to her and she comes into my bedroom.

    I flush a little bit in embarrassment at being in just a towel in front of her, but she doesn’t seem to find the situation awkward at all. I guess that is because she is a chambermaid and probably has to help people bathe sometimes. Ew.

    I pick up my dress from off of the chair and look at Arneth. “I’ll just change really quick,” I say awkwardly and shut the bathing room door. I slip on undergarments and my dress quickly before coming out of the bathroom and walking into my room, stopping in front of Arneth and smiling kindly.

    She smiles back at me, saying, “Would you like for me to do your hair, my lady?”

    “That would be wonderful,” I say with wide, surprised eyes. I’ve always wanted a personal stylist, and Arneth is proving to be one.

    She grabs my arm lightly, guiding me to sit in the intricately carved wooden chair at the vanity in the corner of my room. Once I am sitting, she starts to work on my hair. She uses my discarded towel to dry my hair before styling it. The feeling of her fingers running through my hair is soothing, and it manages to ease away most of the tension in my body from my earlier encounter with Legolas.

    “So, Arneth, how did you manage to show up the exact moment that I needed you?” I ask with a light laugh.

    She laughs along with me as she creates tiny braids in my hair. “Lady Galadriel summoned me to the library and asked me to help you prepare for supper,” she says.

        I go to respond to her but her sudden giggles cause my words to die in my throat. “What is it?” I ask with an amused smile, “What is so funny?”

        I watch her cheeks turn rosy through the mirror’s reflection. “Did you happen to visit Galadriel in the library today?”

        I nod, not sure of the direction our conversation is heading.

        “Ah, so you must have met him!” she says with a huge smile and starts giggling again.

        I raise my eyebrow at her when her gaze meets mine in the mirror’s reflection. “Who are we speaking of?” I ask. I cannot say his name without memories resurfacing of his gorgeous blue eyes staring deeply into mine, so I play dumb.

        “Prince Legolas, of course!” she exclaims.

        “Oh... yes. I spoke to him briefly…” I trail off awkwardly.

      “You spoke to him?” she asks in disbelief, her mouth falling open a tiny bit in surprise. “Oh, how I wish I could be you! Everytime he stays in Lothlorien, I am always terrified of speaking to him, but I want to so badly! I could never court him, obviously, but speaking to him would make me so happy,” she breathes out.

    I turn to face her when she finishes my hair. “Why could you not court him?” I ask, trying not to giggle at my use of the word ‘court’.

    She stares at me as if I just asked her what color the sky is. “I am a servant,” she states as sadness clouds her eyes, “He is a prince.”

    “And?” I draw out the word, prompting her to stop stating the obvious and explain what she means.

    “It would be improper! Horribly improper! My lady, this is naught but common knowledge. You are the very first person I have heard openly question society,” she states, all giddiness gone from her tone. She now seems to become a wise elf instead of the young girl I usually see her as.

    I do not say anything, fearing that I have offended her in some way.

    “Prince Legolas must marry an elleth with a title, a lady of the court,” she says and sits down on the edge of my bed, facing me, “Being a servant is not as easy as some may think it is, my lady. Yes, cleaning up and helping others is not hard, but servants must also live with their status as being lower than everyone else in society. I am lucky to live here, under the care of the lord and lady of Lorien. Most servants are not treated as well as we are here in Lothlorien. Many times I have been mistreated by the women of the court who visit during special feasts and balls. That is why I was so surprised when I met you and you treated me as an… anequal,” she says as her eyes become misty.

    I stare at her as anger and sorrow stab into my heart. How could anyone treat another human being this way? Arneth is the only friend that I have here! She has been nothing but kind to me. “Arneth, I did not realise…”

    She holds up her hand to stop me from babbling on. “It is alright, my lady. I have lived as a servant my entire life, and I am accustomed to this lifestyle,” she says.

    I furrow my eyebrows in thought. “So, does that mean that you will only ever be able to court and marry an ellon who is also a servant?” I ask.

    She shakes her head. “Not necessarily. I can marry any elf who does not have a title.”

    “A title?” I question.

    “Yes, such as a baron or baroness, prince or princess and so on,” she answers patiently.

    “Oh,” I say and nod, finally understanding, “So, there is a law or restriction that keeps elves of different social classes from courting or marrying one another?”

    She laughs heartily and shakes her head. “No, definitely not. There are just common ‘rules’ of society that the people of Middle Earth usually abide by. It is entirely up to the father of each family to make the decision of whom his children will marry.”

    “Okay, so if Legolas was to fall madly in love with you, there is a possibility of him marrying you?” I ask her.

    She immediately blushes. “His father would never allow that. I would not allow myself to be put in that situation, either. Imagine the rumors! My lady, I am not sure if you know this, but many ellith desire Prince Legolas. Ladies, elven or mortal, always seem to fall for his charm, and a jealous woman is not to be reckoned with,” she says to me, “The ellith of the court all try to impress him, but Legolas has never shown preference to anyone. Some say he is arrogant for that, but I just think that he has not found anyone who catches his eye yet.”

    I widen my eyes in surprise. “He has never shown preference? Surely these court ladies are beautiful… andwealthy.”

    She nods, “They are very beautiful. Just like dolls, they are! Their personalities bring them down, though. Then again, not all of them are so terrible. Queen Arwen of Gondor was so kind when she lived her many years ago.”

        I almost gasp in surprise. Arwen! I had not even thought about her since waking up in Middle Earth. I hope I can meet her one day, along with the fellowship and all of the characters of the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit. That would be so amazing!

    I am quiet for a long while, debating whether or not to divulge my feelings about Legolas. Arneth trusted me with her feelings and thoughts, so I guess I shouldn’t worry. “Arneth, do I… have a title? I do not know much of who my father was,” I admit.

    “I cannot say unless I know of your family,” she says with a sad smile.

    I nod. I was expecting her to say that. Afterall, she doesn’t know anything about me. She doesn’t know that I just appeared in her world the other day. She must be suspicious of me, though, after all of the stupid questions I have asked her.

    “You are close with Galadriel, so even if you do not have a title, you will have an advantage by associating with her,” she explains.

    I bite my lip anxiously. “So, one such as Legolas is too far above me in society…” I trail off again in question. I blush a little in embarrassment of sharing so much of my feelings with her.

    She smiles knowingly. “So Legolas has managed to charm you as well?”

    My blush deepens.

    She laughs. “I think that you have a very good chance with him.”

    I raise my eyebrows at her. “You are just saying that to make me feel better!” I exclaim.

    “No! I truly believe that,” she says and then whispers, as if divulging some big secret, “Lady Galadriel does not invite just anyone to dine with her. I am quite sure that your friendship with her is an advantage.”

    “So you are saying that I get special treatment?”

    “Well, yes, in a way, but it is because Lady Galadriel really cares for you. She really enjoys your company.”

    The clock on my bedside table chimes, and both Arneth and I turn to look at it.

    Arneth smiles at me. “You should go now. You do not want to be late for supper.”

    I nod. “Thank you for being so patient with me, Arneth,” I say as I stand and smooth out the bottom of my dress.

    She also stands and curtseys. “I will see you tomorrow, my lady.”

    I open the door but pause for a moment before leaving. “Eilonwy. Just call me Eilonwy, please,” I say to her with a true, real smile. A smile one gives to a good friend.

    She looks at me for a moment without saying anything. Her lips pull up into a grin, her eyes misting with unshed tears. “I will see you tomorrow… Eilonwy,” she says quietly.

    I nod at her happily before shutting the door and making my way to the dining hall.

    As I walk across the forest ground towards the dining hall, I can slightly hear the chatter of the hall full of elves. Nerves flutter throughout my stomach. I will have to see Legolas again. I mean, I want to see him again and get to know him, but I am so scared to. After hearing what Arneth said about the ellith of the court, I do not believe I have a chance with him. Not even a slight chance. He is so perfect; it’s unfair!

    I reach the massive double doors of the dining hall, the voices and laughter of hundreds of elves now filling my ears. I close my eyes for a moment, my heart thundering in my chest. I inhale slowly. I can do this. I breathe out and push open the doors with shaking hands.

-----------------------------------------

A/N: I tried to give a lot of insight into Eilonwy’s thoughts and feelings in this chapter. So, tell me what ya think! I’ll try to update sooner this time. School is kinda like the cockblock of writing. :/

Love,

Josie <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

68.5K 1.5K 21
Ellarian is a young elf from the palace of Greenwood. She works hard as a soldier in King Oropher's army. The only one that knows she is a female in...
2.4K 238 33
In the heart of the cursed Mirkwood Forest, Legolas, the prince of the woodland realm, is haunted by an inexplicable feeling of being watched. Unbekn...
11.5K 308 44
I didn't just lose you. I lost my entire life. This is my take on Thranduil and his wife before and after her death.
431K 11K 46
My name is Vilya, named after the Ring of Air. I had no family, no home until a ranger, Aragorn found me. He took me to Riverendale where I found my...