The Billionaire & I

By dami241

Rewritten and completedβœ” Ophelia Duhamels knows what rock bottom is and vows to never hit it again after gett... More

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
43.
44.
45.
46.
47.
48.
49.
Epilogue.

13.

26.1K 1.1K 46
By dami241

"How are your weekends like?" Isabella asked over her bowl of Greek salad. Heather's phone rang at that moment and she smiled apologetically before leaving the table to answer her call.

"Work, work, work. I probably only have Sunday to lay my head down." I sighed then took a bite out of my lasagna.

"I'm going home to see my ma. I won't be back till Sunday evening." Joanne smiled.

"Say hola to mama for us. I'll be staying at Rafael's. Stupid male, why he won't just ask me to move in with him already?" Isabella frowned before going into a tirade of curses in Spanish. Poor Rafael.

After lunch, Heather and I returned to our floor. It had been two days since my treacherous pants betrayed me and in a few hours, I'd be meeting up with the girls. My hands consciously smoothed down the front of my maroon knee length gown. I was as nervous as I was excited.

Heather and I worked alone for the most of the day as William didn't come in to work and neither did Lilian come to criticize. Heather left early, around 4 pm to get prepared before meeting with William at his apartment while I stayed on for another half hour before calling it a day.

The cab drove me straight to the venue. After paying the fare, I stared at the quaint restaurant, right in the middle of Manhattan. I internally hoped their menu prices wouldn't be outrageous. The air conditioner of the restaurant soothed me upon my entry. My gaze fleeted over the sitted costumers until I saw a hand wave me over.

"Girl! How have you been?" Demi immediately stood up as I reached her and hugged me. She smelled of vanilla and cranberries and my mind drifted back to our college days. I'd really missed her.

"I've been–" I paused when I felt her stomach was larger than was normal. "Oh my God, you're pregnant?" My eyes widened as I stared at her. She had her hair in black braids and was wearing a woolen sweater over navy blue pants. Her brown eyes were full of mirth as she nodded and I asked, "has it really been so long?"

"About three years since we last saw and about a year since we spoke last. I got married last year June. I really wanted you at the wedding."

"I'm so sorry Demi."

"It's okay, I understand you must have had your own personal issues to deal with. I'm sorry too, I didn't contact you as much as I should have. I didn't even know you were back in New York." She said as we took our seats opposite each other.

"You had a wedding to plan, I can't hold anything against you. It was my fault honestly. But do I congratulate you for the wedding or baby first?" I asked and she laughed.

"Anyone and you also have to tell me everything that's being going on these past few months, maybe one on one." She smiled and I nodded eagerly.

"Hello ladies," Debbie suddenly appeared and sat on the empty chair next to mine before I could turn or notice her arrival prior.

"My my, Ophelia Duhamels, I for sure thought you fell off the surface of the earth."

"Still kicking and alive. It's great to see you too Lenore." I smiled at Lenore who smirked before taking her seat next to Demi. Her hair was now a darker shade than it'd been in college. It really had been a long time. We were all so grown now. "What about Kemi?"

"She's currently in Nigeria. Setting up her brand and shop and she's actually getting married next year." Debbie explained.

"You cannot miss that one." Demi smiled.

"Oh, wow. That's great and I won't." I said genuinely not wanting to miss another friend's wedding. A waitress came by, collected all our orders then left.

"Tell me you're at least still single Ophelia, I can't be the only one." Lenore said and I laughed about to reply in the affirmative but Debbie beat me to it.

"She and Will are back together."

My eyes widened. Shit.

"What? Are you serious? Since when?" Demi leaned forward.

"You lucky blonde, I don't believe it." Lenore shrugged.

It may have been the glint of happiness in Demi's eyes or Debbie's believe from the onset or even Lenore's blatant disregard or maybe there was no reason even, as to why the words that came out of my mouth, did. But they did and there really was no taking it back.

"Last month. He bought the company I now work at."

"To woo you? Definitely to woo you. That is so Liam." Demi said and I didn't disagree or agree rather I let it float in the air amongst us. "I'm happy for you two. The breakup wasn't expected and he just went AWOL but I'm really glad you two found each other again. I knew you guys were meant to be." She finished with a smile.

"Now, I'm officially jealous." Lenore said and they laughed but my insides were twisting for letting them believe a lie. This wouldn't end well. It never did, I should just—

"You have to come visit my husband, Deji and I soon okay?" Demi interrupted my thoughts and my one chance for the truth.

"Of course." I smiled.

"We should have a get together. All of us. Will, the guys. Like old times, it will be fun." Debbie suggested and they quickly agreed while I just sat there thinking, Will is not going to be happy. Our food arrived shortly after and we spent the next hour eating, talking, laughing and reminiscing.

"This was fun, we should really meet up more if I'm not too busy wedding planning." Debbie said as we all exited the restaurant.

"It was," Lenore nodded, "aside from being alone in the singles club."

"Change your attitude and you'll get someone to at least take you on a date."

"Says you."

"Hello-o." Debbie raised her left hand and the ring glowed in effort of the final rays the sun cast. "He did more than take me on a date."

"I don't know how we still remained friends over the years." Demi laughed as Lenore and Debbie argued. A few minutes later, we waved them goodbye as they entered their respective cars and drove off.

"How are you getting home? Car or?" Demi asked looking around and my cheeks flushed.

"Uh, no. I don't have a car. I'll take the subway back."

"Oh, my bad. Let me drop you off then."

"No, it's okay. You should get home before it's too dark. My apartment is far and you might get stuck in traffic."

"Are you sure?"

"Yup." I nodded.

"Alright then. I'm so glad we finally saw again after years girl. Let's meet again soon and just talk about everything." Demi said and then hugged me.

"Okay." I nodded as we pulled apart.

"Also say hi to Liam for me and tell him I'm still mad at him for disappearing. Goodnight." She waved before walking off to her car. The lie I told pricked at me again but I ignored it and let my feet carry me to the nearest subway.

Nearly an hour later, I was home. I kicked off my shoes and slumped into my trusty old couch. We'd majorly talked about our college days. My feelings were bittersweet as we laughed and chuckled then but now, back in my shabby apartment, my feelings were melancholic. Still slumped on the couch, my mind wondered how my life would have played out if my business never burned out before it could properly bloom, or if I never met Gavin Thompson.

Or,

If William never ruined us.

***

"You forgot?"

The situation wasn't good.

"Lilian didn't mention anything about a suit."

My arrival at William's apartment minutes ago had been welcomed with questions, questions that seemed to have only bad answers.

"Do you need to be told?" His tone was condescending.

"How can I know without been told first?" I replied then sighed. "Just give me the address and I'll go get it."

He went upstairs, perhaps to his study or room and left me alone downstairs. There was a huge mirror on the wall next to me and through it, my eyes wondered over my black dress similar in style to yesterday's maroon gown. The view of the mirror didn't reach below my waist so the rest of my gown as well as my favourite black pumps couldn't be seen.

"Here, this is the address and this is my debit card. Jay isn't coming round till much later so you'll have to take a cab."

"Okay." I collected the card and piece of paper, kept them both in my purse then left his apartment. The tailored suits shop was located upper Manhattan and my eyes admired the different suits that were on display as I entered the shop nearly fourty minutes later.

"Good day, Welcome to Yvette." My attention shifted to the short man and I smiled.

"I'm Ophelia Duhamels, William Illston's PA. I'm here to collect his suit for the gala tonight." I showed the man my ID.

"William Illston? His other PA already called and said to deliver the ensemble to his new office downtown. I believe the former marketing company."

"Oh. Which PA would that be?"

"Lilian Borough." The man replied.

Of fucking course.

"Thank you." I smiled tightly.

A dark cloud must have formed over my head as I walked out of the shop and unto the busy street. Lilian was seriously drawing a battle line. I stopped a cab and started the journey to the office. I'd just passed I and Heather's desks, about to open William's door when it painfully occured to me. I didn't have the key with me.

My fingers rubbed at my temples and I sighed. Once again, I was at the back of a taxi, this time heading back home where my copy of the key was. An hour later, I returned to the office and after convincing the security I wasn't trying to steal anything, I went up again. Soon, I stood by the side of the road with the suit in hand and hailed a taxi for the umpteenth time that day.

My phone buzzed with a text.

From: Boss
Don't forget the shoes. It's next to the tailor's shop.

What?

I chuckled bitterly.

"I want to change my location please." I quickly told the cab man who grumbled a bit before finally complying. You and me both buddy.

"You can't drop me here, my destination is still five blocks away," I groaned at the cab man who only shook his head apologetically.

"I'm sorry miss but it's an emergency."

This day cannot get any worse, I thought as I lodged the suit over my arm while trying not to wrinkle it. I was halfway close to my destination when my left foot suddenly twisted.

"Ow!" My eyes immediately lowered only to see one of the heels of my favourite black pumps had bent.

The day did get worse.

"You've got to kidding me." I removed the pump and my hand went down to rub my sore foot. With an annoyed but resilient sigh, I continued moving. I dragged my foot--ignoring all the stares--to the shoe shop.

***

I was/am a bit sick. Feeling a little better now though.

*N.B: If you haven't, please check out my message board. Left very some important info there. Thank you.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

480K 20K 73
I woke up in the morning and felt the pain in a place I've never hurt before. I took a peek at my own body, and my mind went blank. My eyes found a m...
12.3M 409K 39
#1 in romance genre (1stJan - 8th Jan.) ( Again placed #1 in romance in Feb) Aaron got up from his seat and walked round the table towards her while...
29.3K 2.2K 17
"π‘ͺ𝒂𝒏 𝑰 π’ˆπ’†π’• 𝒂 π’Œπ’Šπ’”π’”? 𝑨𝒏𝒅 𝒄𝒂𝒏 π’šπ’π’– π’Žπ’‚π’Œπ’† π’Šπ’• 𝒍𝒂𝒔𝒕 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓?" β€’β€’β€’ "Only 5 months into this marriage, and we'll part ou...
16M 561K 58
They're worlds apart, and this isn't high school, so how the hell did a homeless female writer end up renting a billionaire's mansion? And - hold you...