How They Got Away With Murder...

By ElizaMae0

Karmen Athans got her heart broken by the charming Frank Delfino after he left her with his secret exposed to... More

Preface
Chapter One-Part One
Chapter One-Part Two
Chapter Two-Part One
Chapter Two-Part Two
Chapter Three-Part One
Chapter Four-Part One
Chapter Four-Part Two
Chapter Five-Part One
Chapter Five-Part Two
Chapter Six-Part One
Chapter Six-Part Two
Chapter Seven-Part One
Chapter Seven-Part Two
Chapter Eight-Part One
Chapter Eight-Part Two
Chapter Nine-Part One
Chapter Nine-Part Two
Chapter Ten-Part One
Chapter Ten-Part Two
Chapter Eleven-Part One
Chapter Eleven-Part Two
Chapter Twelve-Part One
Chapter Twelve-Part Two
Chapter Thirteen-Part One
Chapter Thirteen-Part Two
Chapter Fourteen-Part One
Chapter Fourteen-Part Two
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Epilogue

Chapter Three-Part Two

395 13 1
By ElizaMae0

     Thirty minutes later Alyssa found herself seated at a slot machine next to Connor.

      "So, have you talked to your brother at all today?" He asked her suddenly. Her brows creased.

      "What?"

      She glanced at Connor, who gazed at her with confusion.

      "You know, the whole keeping a secret from him thing?"

      Her eyes widened slightly as she remembered what she'd told him. She dragged out a sigh.

      "Yeah, that. I haven't told him yet."

      She watched as she lost on the machine. She expected Connor to say something else, but when a long pause his way filled the air, she turned to him. His head was cast to the ground, his features set with deep thought.

      "Connor?"

      At last, he looked her way.

      "You're not hiding anything from your brother, are you?"

      She hesitated. "What do you mean?"

      "Come on, Alyssa."

      The defeated expression on his face made her flinch. She got up, motioning for him to follow. She stopped near a corner of the room where less people wandered.

      "Can we not do this here?"

      "Do what? Talk about how you lied to me because you're keeping something from me?" He seethed. Alyssa already felt on the verge of tears. She didn't want it to happen like this.

      "Yeah. I'd prefer not to do it in a casino."

      Connor's lips parted, then closed, then parted again. She fidgeted, shifting between her feet. 

      "Fine. Let's ask Karmen to take Asher and Michaela home and let's leave."

      She gulped, but nodded. Connor stormed off, and she followed behind with a shaky sigh. He would hate her when he found out what she did. As they navigated through the building, she noticed Asher and Michaela approaching. Her heart dropped even farther in her chest as she caught sight of the worn out expression on Michaela's face.  

      "Walshey, Lyssi. Please, please, please tell me one of you just one 20k on the slots."

      Connor, with a distracted look, questioned, "What?"

      "I lost some of the money." Michaela said in a deflated tone.

      Asher shook his head. "No, not some of it. All of it." Alyssa's eyes widened as he continued, "Like we have zero left, zilch, negative Benjamins."

      Walsh scoffed in disbelief. "Michaela."

      "I just wanted to have some fun." She defended herself tiredly. Alyssa bit her lip.

      "Yeah, what a blast this was." Connor snarked. He then added, "Let's go."

      "What about Karmen?" She spoke up for the first time in that interaction. Connor waved his hand in the air.

      "Who knows. Just text her and tell her we're leaving."

      She ducked her head down. The way he talked to her scared her. He sounded so angry and disappointed. Alyssa pulled out her phone as the group of four headed towards the exit. She sent Karmen an apology and an explanation as to why they left. When they got into the car, they debated as to how they get the money back. Eventually, Michaela found an open pawn shop, and when they stopped, Michaela and Asher went inside. The plan was for Michaela to sell her engagement ring that she had kept after her break up with Aiden. Alyssa sat in the backseat, her eyes flickering from Connor to the window. She didn't want to say anything that would set him off, so she kept her mouth shut.

      She dreaded what would happen when they made it home.

~~~~~

      Karmen kicked her shoes off as she stepped into her apartment. She had a decent time at the casino; she watched Michaela win big, then when the blonde was gambling herself she had a guy flirt with her, and she won a thousand dollars. The only negative was that Alyssa text her saying that they had lost all of Toby's money. She wondered if they found a solution for that yet. Not only that, but Frank had been nagging in the back of the mind the whole day. She debated if she should call him. But every time she questioned that, she thought it made her seem desperate or crazy, so she refrained from doing so.

      With a sigh, she plopped onto her couch and turned on the television. For ten minutes, she mindlessly watched a reality TV show. Then, her phone rang. She shot up, reading the contact name. Frank.

      She picked it up quickly. "Hey."

      "Hey. I called Laurel."

      "Oh. How'd that go?"

      "I was talking and she hung up on me."

       Despite herself, she barked a laugh. "You didn't even get to finish your speech?"

      "'Cause she hates me."

      Karmen shook her head. "I don't think so. Maybe she backed out of helping?"

      "Why would she do that?"

      With a tauntful smile on her face, she said, "Maybe she's helplessly in love with you." She heard him chuckle on the other end. 

      "That's too bad for her."

      "Oh yeah? Why's that?"

      "I'm only interested in one woman."

      She paused momentarily. It was nice to hear things like that, considering the circumstances the two were under.

      Keeping up the banter, she responded, "Ooh, did Annalise send a hitwoman after you? Did you two go from enemies to lovers that fast?"

      "Yeah, that's what happened. I fell for the person that tried to kill me."

      The two fell silent, basking in each other's presence, even if they couldn't see each other. Karmen was just glad he didn't decide to ignore her again. 

      "You alright?"

      Her attention reigned back in on Frank. "Oh, yeah. I actually won some money at the casino today."

      "Tell me about that."

      She recanted her day, starting with the trial and ending with her leaving the casino. Frank ended up calling Michaela an idiot, to which she didn't disagree. He then told her events from his day, which weren't nearly as exciting as her own. The two conversed endlessly, until Karmen realized something.

      "Wait, should we be talking this long? Your phone could be tracked."

      "Nah, it's fine. I'm moving tomorrow."

      "Okay."

      They talked through the night, until exhaustion weighed down on Karmen. A yawn escaped her lips.

      "I'll call you later."

      She didn't object. "Okay. Talk to you soon."

      Silence enveloped the air as he hung up. She simply laid down on her couch, staring up at the ceiling. She imagined Frank coming home once more, a grin lingering on her face. She felt serious about him.

      That was her last thought before a knock sounded at her door.

~~~~~

      Alyssa entered her apartment, fear radiating in her chest. She hadn't felt so nervous in months. Connor followed behind, shutting the door firmly. She stopped right in front of the living room, dropping her belongings onto the couch. Connor wordlessly did the same before facing her.

      "So?" He asked expectantly. With a deep breath to steady herself, she began.

      "So, a few months ago we both applied to Stanford. I didn't want to move, but you did. That night, I saw you got accepted, and when I checked my email, it said I also got accepted. I panicked. While you were in the shower, I called them and declined the invitation. But then, I lied to you about it because I didn't want us to—"

      "Wait," he cut her off, holding up his hand. "You got accepted into Stanford?"

      "Yeah." 

      He processed her words for a moment before scoffing. "Wow."

      "Connor, I'm sorry." She said, watching as he rounded the kitchen counter and leant against it. After a minute, he sighed.

      "So...here's the thing. The fact that you felt you had to do that, I mean, it tells me that I just didn't listen to you when you said that you didn't want to move. I was putting my feelings before yours. And I'm sorry for that."

      He locked eyes with her, his face apologetic. Her lips parted as she took in his words.

      "You're sorry?" She repeated, wanting to make sure she heard him correctly. He nodded.

      "Yeah."

      Her guilt was overwhelming at that point. "No...no don't do that. You get to be angry."

       "I'm not."

      "You should be." She stated. "I made you choose between the most amazing opportunity of a lifetime and me!"

      "Yeah, and I'm forgiving you."

      Alyssa's concern grew with each passing second. "Why? Get mad, please! It tells me that you care."

      "Me getting mad tells you that I care?" Connor threw her words back at her with disbelief.

      "Yes! If you're not angry, then what does that say about us? That's not healthy. I did a terrible thing and you have the right to be upset about it."

      "If I had to choose between Stanford and you I would choose you every time!" Connor exclaimed, and ignoring the warmth that brought her, she pushed back,

      "But I shouldn't have forced that decision on you. I'm not supposed to be someone who lies, manipulates. I used to be the person everyone thought was too nice to be a lawyer. Now look at me! I don't want to be someone who does all these terrible things."

      She huffed. "Then that's really sad."

      She thought about her conversation with Karmen at the beginning of the summer. She remembered thinking that she was just as bad as Annalise.

      "I'm different than what I used to be."

      "How could you not be? We've covered up multiple murders."

      She flinched as moisture struck her cheeks. "I just..." she realized how different their discussion had gotten. "I'm sorry, I got off-topic. Can you just be mad at me, please?"

      Connor barked a sarcastic laugh. "What do you want me to do? Scream at you? Break up with you?"

      "Maybe you should break up with me. It might benefit us both."

       "You're crazy."

      "I'm not. I'll stay at Karmen's for a few days, sort out my life a little."

       "This is your apartment."

       Alyssa stood up, wiping at her face. "It was our apartment the moment you walked in with all your stuff. I could use some bonding time with my friend. I just think that a little time away from each other would benefit us both." She explained, her eyes begging for him to understand. He looked at her with a locked jaw.

      "You really believe that?"

      With stray tears falling down her face, she dipped her head. "I do."

      Connor shoved his hands into his front pockets. She waited for him to either agree or fight her more.

      "Fine." He eventually said. "I'm so mad at you for lying, so I'm gonna break up with you for however long it takes."

      She cracked a smile. "Thank you."

      She then got to work on packing a bag. When she finished, she re-entered the main room, where Connor simply stood, frozen. She walked over to him, pecking his cheek.

      "I love you, Connor. So, so much."

      And with that, she left. Alyssa pushed away all of her emotions as she drove to Karmen's apartment. She simply hoped her friend was home. Soon, she made it there and began her trek towards the familiar apartment. As she stopped in front of her door, she choked out a sob. She couldn't believe what she'd just done. Alyssa knocked unsteadily before clapping a hand over her mouth so as to not disturb any neighbors. It was only a few more seconds before the door in front of her swung open. Karmen's narrowed eyes widened as soon as she absorbed the sight that was a weeping Alyssa.

      "Hey." The brunette managed to say weakly.

      "Come in." Karmen ushered her inside and brought her into an embrace that lasted at least five minutes before she pulled away.

       "Explain everything." Her blonde friend softly requested.

       The rest of the night was spent with her recalling the events that led up to that point, a reality show marathon, and her passing out on Karmen's couch. 

~~~~~~

      Karmen sat in her car at a red light, listening to the ringing of her phone after she dialed a number. It was the day after Alyssa had come to her and explained her break up. That morning the two had to go to trial, where Annalise had managed to get Toby three years. Now, she wished she could be at her apartment comforting Alyssa, but instead, she was driving to Laurel's. She wanted to confront the brunette before she ran to Annalise.

      Finally, the phone stopped its incessant humming and Frank's voice called out.

      "Yeah?"

      "Sorry to bother you. Just wanted to tell you a couple things."

      "Sure, what's up?"

      "For one, Alyssa is staying at my apartment."

      "What? Why?"

      She sighed. "Her and Connor had a...thing. Anyway, I just wanted to say that because now I have to be more careful about calling you or you calling me."

      "Got it. What else?"

      "Well, I'm on my way to Laurel's. I'm gonna ask her about you."

      "You think that's gonna go well?"

      "Nope. But I'm gonna do it anyway."

      There was a pause.

      "Maybe you shouldn't confront her."

      Her brows furrowed. "Why not?"

      "It might not end well for you. If Annalise—"

      "Annalise," she interrupted spitefully, "tried to kill you. Annalise is too damn stubborn to realize that this isn't your fault. I'm not going to let Laurel tell her where you are and risk you dying." She spat, her grip on the wheel tightening. 

      "Alright, I got it. You know you don't have to look after me."

      "I don't have to, you're right. I'm choosing to because I..." she trailed off.

      "You what?"

      She cleared her throat. "Because I don't want to see you get hurt. Okay?" 

      She would have listened to his response if it wasn't for the fact that she caught sight of Laurel hopping into her car. She pulled up to the curb and stopped, watching as Laurel's car began to drive away.

      "Shit." She mumbled.

      "What?"

      "Laurel's leaving."

      "Kar, just let it go."

      "Absolutely not. I'm just going to drive to Annalise's." She stated, turning back onto the road. She had no idea what she would do when she got there, but she knew she had to go. She drove in silence, her call with Frank still running. She wondered what he was thinking about. Soon enough, she made it to Annalise's.

      "Okay, I'm here." She told him as she parked her car.

      "Karmen, wait."

      "What?" She snapped.

      "If you go in there, you have no clue what she'll do."

      "Frank, she already knows we've been talking, and she hasn't done anything yet. Please, stop worrying. I'll be fine."

      She didn't wait to hear any more objections, just hung up on him. She then opened her car door and stepped outside. She could do this. She'd already argued with Annalise once. She could do it again. As she stormed up to the house, the front door swung open. Karmen halted in her tracks as Laurel walked out of the house. She clenched her jaw, marching up to the brunette, who looked at her in shock.

      "Karmen?"

      "Where is he? I've always been curious." She hissed. Realization crashed onto Laurel's features.

      "Karmen..."

      She reached the girl, stopping a few feet in front of her. "What did Annalise say she was going to do about it? Did she say she was gonna 'take care of it'?" Please, tell me."

      "I didn't tell her anything!" Laurel exclaimed, and she hesitated.

      She shook her head. "No, that's a lie." 

      "It's not a lie. Yes, I went to my father to find him, and I got a location. But I didn't tell Annalise."

      Karmen narrowed her eyes in suspicion. "Why would you do that?"

      "Because of you." She said. "I saw how many times you two had talked and I realized that I couldn't do that to you."

      She analyzed Laurel, her mind battling as to if she was lying or not. She wanted to believe her, she truly did, but could she?

      "I swear to you, I didn't say anything." Laurel added softly. At that point, Karmen felt almost obligated to believe her.

      "You really didn't, did you?" She questioned, to which the blue-eyed girl nodded. She blew out a relieved breath before bringing Laurel into a hug.

      "Thank you."

      When they pulled away from each other, Laurel nudged her.

      "So, you and Frank?"

      She laughed. "Yeah. It's uh...it's complicated."

      "How about you tell me about it tomorrow? Over drinks, of course."

      She grinned. "Of course. Sounds good. Thank you, Laurel."

      "Yeah, sure."

      The two parted from one another, Karmen driving home after that. Before she entered her apartment building, she sent Frank a text.

      Laurel didn't say anything. We're all good.

      And with that, she walked into her room with a content feeling.

~~~~~

Six Weeks Later

      After clearing Annalise's phone, Alyssa returned to the crime scene, where she had to shove through the crowd yet again.

      "Excuse me, sorry." She muttered as she navigated towards the clearing. She almost made it when a hand clapped her shoulder. She spun around with wide eyes, relaxing in the slightest when it was simply Bonnie.

      "What are you doing here?" The brunette asked.

      "Annalise called me from jail. Did you do it?"

      Alyssa shifted uneasily. "Do what?"

      "The phone. She sent me to find you." Bonnie elaborated. Alyssa nodded.

      "It's clean."

      "Good. Follow me."

      She obeyed the blonde, trailing behind her as she strode up to the police tape. An officer stopped her.

      "Miss, you need clearance to come in."

      "I'm Annalise Keating's lawyer. This is her house." When the policeman still refused, she called out, "John!"

      Alyssa watched as a man waved her through. She followed behind Bonnie as the two met. She remembered the man as the detective that had Annalise arrested. As Bonnie asked for the charges, Alyssa wandered towards the ambulance that she spoke to Annalise by. After verifying that no one had eyes on her, she tossed her professor's phone on the ground and kicked it under the vehicle.

      "Hold up!" A male voice boomed out. Frightened, she spun around.

      "Everybody quiet!" It was the firefighter that spoke. He then talked into his radio, and Alyssa strained her ears to hear what was happening.

      "We have another occupant. We're bringing them out now."

      Her heart dropped to her stomach. There was someone in the house? Another? Annalise said...

      "Oh god." Alyssa whispered. Two people were in the house when it exploded. Who? Were they okay?

      "Status?" The firefighter questioned. Silence followed, so he barked, "Status!"

      "There's a pulse. I repeat, we have a pulse."

      She released a shaky breath. At least they weren't dead, whoever it was. Alyssa exchanged a look with Bonnie as people rushed towards the house to help the unidentified victim.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

679 98 22
Mature Audiences: Everything happens in 3's, a murder, a lost love, and a fantasy, many years in the making... But will she survive when all three of...
1.3M 36.5K 54
"What you said hurt, asshole. What did you think would happen?" I yell in his face. I'm so angry that I could most definitely shove his face into the...
21.1K 633 32
Karmen and Alyssa are back after Rebecca goes missing and a new case is taken up. Catherine and Caleb Hapstall are charged with the murder of their p...
49.6K 1.1K 32
Karmen Athans joined Middleton Law with the intent in becoming a lawyer. She wanted to follow in her professor's footsteps. Her name was Annalise Kea...