Chapter Sixteen

A few weeks had passed since Frank returned to her, and the two were living in a state of pure bliss. She spent nearly every second with him, except for when she met up with Alyssa so the girls could catch up. Frank had finally taken her on a date as promised, where she had the most amazing time. On that particular day, Frank ushered her out of the house without giving away information as to where he was taking her. Bitterly, she said,

      "I can't believe you're making me do this."

      "Relax. It's just for a little while."

      She crossed her arms over her chest, almost glad she had a blindfold covering her eyes, or else she would have had to see his stupid smirk.

      "I just think I've had enough surprises to last me a lifetime."

      "Yeah, but this is a good surprise."

      She rolled her eyes. "But a surprise nonetheless. Can you at least give me a hint?"

      "Hm. Nope."

      Karmen muttered a string of words in Greek.

      "I'm sorry, I didn't quite get that." Frank said teasingly, so she huffed and leaned further back in her car seat.

      "Alright, fine. One hint. You've talked about going here before."

      She barked a laugh. "Are you kidding? That's the least helpful hint I've ever heard. Just tell me one last thing and I'll shut up. Am I dressed appropriately?"

      "Well, I'd never complain if you were wearing less." She reached out and smacked where she thought his arm was, to which he merely chuckled.

      He then told her, "Yeah, sure. You're dressed 'appropriately'."

      I can't believe I'm letting him do this. She hated the fact that she had no idea where they were or where they were going. She knew it wasn't a trust issue; maybe it was a control one. Or maybe she was just tired of getting things thrown at her out of nowhere.

      "Wow, I didn't think you'd actually shut up."

      She scowled. "You know, I'm starting to think that we're spending too much time together because every word that comes out of your mouth is more annoying to me than the last."

      "Ouch. I didn't sit in a prison cell all that time to be set free and get insulted by you."

      "No, no, you've got it all wrong. I'm not insulting you. I'm just...pointing out facts. Out of love, of course." She drew out sarcastically.

      "Of course. Maybe keep the heart-warming facts to yourself when we get there."

      She perked up, his words laced with an incidental clue. Frank never minded her comments, but other people might. But who?

      "What, you don't think others would appreciate my humor?"

      His silence gave away his regret. She smirked victoriously, trying to piece together where they were going. However, the car stopped before she could figure it out.

      "Alright, you can take that off now."

      With a relieved sigh she ripped the cloth off of her face, eyes darting around her. When she took in the common homes packed together in a neighborhood setting, she gasped.

      "Oh no. You've brought me to one of my most feared places: the suburbs."

      Frank rolled his eyes, hopping out of the car and opening the passenger door for her. She stepped out, her curiosity peaked.