Chapter One-Part Two

Alyssa sat through class on the second day, her having already presented her case, which got rejected by Annalise. So did everyone else's so far. Even Laurel, who entered class dramatically and late with a brand new idea. What gave her nostalgia was when Wes was the last to go. She hoped his answer was better this time.

      "Research shows hearing from family and friends is the most effective tactic to evade deportation. Knowing this, I talked to about a dozen of Karim's friends, neighbors, and even his imam at the mosque, and they all agreed to testify as character witnesses."

      She could practically hear Annalise's sigh of relief.

      "Finally, a practical strategy we can use in court. Mr. Gibbins, you are first chair. Mr. Drake, you're his second. The rest of you, do better."

      Alyssa's lips quirked upwards as she heard Asher's 'dammit' from three rows up.

      Class dismissed after that, and the group, besides Wes, walked out together. They all complained about class, and Asher especially whined about Drake. While they conversed, she noticed Karmen's far away look. She was about to question if the blonde was alright when Michaela muttered,

      "Oh my God."

      The rest of them stopped to see what Michaela had. A gasp escaped Alyssa's lips. Covering the billboards outside of the university was the picture of Annalise with the word 'killer' underneath.

      Connor clicked his tongue. "Wow."

      "Why are you always stalking me?" 

      Alyssa's head snapped towards Annalise, who had a frown on her face as she approached the students.

      "I would say it's not all about you, but..." Karmen snarked, pointing towards the posters.

      Annalise simply blinked. "At least they chose a good photo."

      She turned on her heel and walked away, leaving the group speechless once more. After a minute, Alyssa asked,

      "Did that just happen?" 

      Connor slung his arm around her shoulders. "It sure did."

      "She's out of her mind." Karmen hissed.

      Michaela scowled, her glare never breaking from Annalise's retreating figure. "Damn right she is."

      "How is she not freaking out?" Laurel asked, her own voice filled with concern.

      "Maybe she wants us to go to jail." Karmen shrugged sarcastically. She then said, "Well, I'm leaving. See you guys later."

      Alyssa and the others bid her goodbye. 

      "You ready to go?" Connor asked her, and she nodded.

      "Yeah. I'd rather be anywhere but here." She glanced uneasily at the posters before walking away with Connor. 

      After a minute, he grabbed her hand. "Are you okay?"

      She paused, heaving a sigh. "I'm not sure. Do you think someone knows?"

      He shook his head slowly. "I have no idea. I'm sure it'll be fine." He told her, and she did her best to smile.

      "You're probably right. Everything's fine." She reached up, planting a kiss on his lips. As she shared a delicate moment with the love of her life, a single word popped into her mind.

      Liar.

~~~~~

      Karmen lounged on Alyssa's couch, her computer rested on her lap. The murder group were all gathered around snacking, drinking, and working on the case.