VALERIE // Harry Styles

By watchmegetobsessed

The birth of a new family member is always a joy and blessing. When your sister welcomes baby Valerie you are... More

about VALERIE
I.
II.
IV.
V.
VI.
VII.
VIII.
IX.
X.

III.

1K 23 1
By watchmegetobsessed

A few tequila shots and the sound of some stranger's horrible attempt at karaoke is exactly what you need when you get off work that Friday evening. Luckily, Steven invited you along with a few of his friends to have a drink just a few days ago and you gladly said yes. You and Steven have always gotten along so well and it made Rosa happy to see two so important people in her life be friends, so it wasn't weird that Rosa was staying home with Valerie, you knew quite a few of Steven's friends and they all seemed like cool people.

He told you beforehand that Harry would tag along as well so you could brace yourself to try this whole "let's be nice to each other for the sake of Val" thing you and Rosa talked about earlier. She said she has mentioned it to him as well and he seemed to be open to the idea. You could only hope he didn't just try to get her off his business and truly means to change.

Arriving to the bar you easily spot your little group of people and sliding out of the booth Steven greets you with a hug.

"So glad you are here!" he smiles at you and everyone slides further into the booth so you can sit at the end, saying your hello to everyone around the table.

The waitress comes up just a few minutes later and you order a tequila along with a beer.

"You are letting loose tonight?" Andy, a colleague of Steve asks with a smirk upon hearing your order.

"I deserve it and it's just the start!" you tell him making everyone laugh.

Your shot glass is emptied out and you've stared on your beer by the time Harry arrives to the bar.

"Hello everyone," he waves around and asks for a free chair from another table and pulling it to the end he is basically sitting next to you. "I see you've started the party, Y/N," he chuckles eyeing the shot glass and you just shrug your shoulder with a smug grin.

He is wearing a black shirt that's unbuttoned at the top, letting you get a glimpse of his tattooed chest and necklaces. You don't admit it to yourself but your eyes linger on his chest a tad bit longer than you intended.

Harry orders a beer for himself that arrives in just a few minutes and you notice how the waitress was basically was pushing her chest out while talking to him.

"Is there anything I can get for you?" she asks him with a charm smile, her red lips stretched almost up to her ears.

For your biggest surprise Harry looks at you upon her question.

"Do you want to have a shot with me as well?"

The girl looks at you with a dirty look that screams jealous and for a moment you don't even know what to answer.

"Um, yeah, sure," you nod.

"Then two tequilas, please," he tells the waitress before she walks away, glancing back at him one last time, but he pays no attention to her, clearly. "Hope you take it better than champagne," he teases you, but this time it feels more like a simple joke rather than an attempt to piss you off.

"We'll see," you tell him with an innocent smile. The change in him is obvious, it seems like he did take Rosa's advice and a new chapter is about to start where the two of you are not planning the murder of each other anymore every time you meet.

You take the shot with Harry easily, the alcohol burning down your throat and as any responsible, mature adult would do it, you wash it down with some beer. The perfect recipe for a killer headache in the morning. Your little group is having quite the fun, would have been a shame to miss this evening with them.

It seems like Harry is making a real attempt at being nice to you, he is your partner every time your glass empties out and you head to the bar to get another one.

"Look," he tells you pulling his phone out of his back pocket and a picture of Val appears where she is wearing a onesie that has pumpkins all over it, it's got to be the cutest thing you've ever seen.

"Oh my God!" you gasp tapping your hand to your chest. "She is literally the cutest."

"I know, I got her the onesie, it's so soft," he tells you happily before taking one last look at the photo and putting his phone back away.

"Hey, what happened to those matching stuff you called me back then?" you think back to the phone call the two of you had not so long ago.

"Oh, didn't buy it."

"Why?"

"They didn't have your size."

"You didn't buy the set because of my size? You could have gotten me just a larger one or something."

"Yeah, but I wanted it to fit perfectly. Doesn't matter, I'll find another one."

Harry turns to Andy who is telling a crazy story of the last time he went hiking and your tipsy eyes linger on him for a little. You were definitely not expecting him to not buy the set just because they didn't have your size, but it's nice that he was thinking of you and wanted you to have it just as perfect as him.

Harry catches your eyes and you don't turn away. Maybe it's the alcohol or the magic of this new, nice era of Harry Styles, but you let your gazes lace together as he smirks at you.

"What?"

"Nothing. It's nothing," you tell him absentmindedly and turn to Andy to hear the ending of the story.

The evening is a blast and you are having an amazing time. It's nice that you don't have to worry about Harry saying something awkward about you, the two of you are getting along pretty well.

You even sing a song together at the karaoke machine, though you don't see yourself, you know the two of you look ridiculous, singing Avril Lavigne's What the Hell from the top of your lungs, both of you probably more drunk than it would be decent from mature adults. But you couldn't care less.

It's way past midnight when you decide to leave and Harry tags along with you saying that he is taking the same train.

"Shut up, I did not!" he narrows his eyes at you as the two of you sit in the deserted carriage, only two more passengers are there but they don't even care about your existence.

"I'm telling you! You were shaking your ass when you sang that line! Almost twerking!" you laugh letting out a snort as Harry is trying his best to hold his smile back while defending himself. "I wish I had it on camera!"

"But you didn't so it didn't happen," he tells you pointing his finger at you in a warningly manner, but you just start laughing even more.

"You wish, Styles," you huff and he just bumps his shoulder against yours.

You pull out your phone to check the time and see that Marcus has texted you a couple of hours before, asking if you are free next weekend. Harry tries his best not to peek at your screen, but he just can't stop himself. Seeing the name he can't stop himself from letting an annoyed growl out.

"You're still in touch with the guy from the blind date?" he nosily asks and you lock the phone, thinking it's best if you reply in the morning when you'll be able to type your words out correctly. Sliding it back into your bag you turn to face Harry.

"What's wrong with that?"

"I just genuinely don't know why you are even trying."

"Excuse me?" you ask with a grimace. "Why wouldn't I try to meet guys?"

"I didn't mean it like that. You told me all about how need to feel that special connection with someone to date them. I bet my life that you did not feel that with this dude."

"What do you know about what I feel?" you snap at him, feeling your anger building up quickly.

"Because... I know you," is all he says but you can only laugh at his words.

"You know shit about me, Harry."

"That's not true," he shakes his head protesting.

"Stop pretending like you know me just because I told you stuff when I was drunk and then slept with you. Why can't you fucking forget about it all?"

Maybe you shouldn't have been naïve and think that he could change in such a short time. It seems like he is still the annoying prick he has always been.

"Because it happened, Y/N! Whether you acknowledge it or not, it happened, and if I'm being honest, you talked a whole fucking lot that evening so excuse me if I think that I know you."

He is clearly getting irked too, at least that's what makes the two of you. The urge to hit him is slowly returning into your limbs and you have to keep your fists in your lap.

"Oh, I'm sorry I'm not perfect when I'm drunk and it was an inconvenience to you to have to deal with me!"

Looking up you see that the train is nearing your stop so you slide out of your seat as you look down at Harry.

"Why the fuck did you even bother to pick me up then? I'm sure you could have gotten with any of the bridesmaids. Was a shame you chose to ruin my life with that night," you spat at him as the train stops and the doors slide open. It's clear Harry has a lot to say, but you just simply flip him off and get out of the carriage, heading to the exit with long strides, fuming and raging you even thought for just a moment Harry has changed.

***

Just like the majority of the population, you consider Monday to be one of your biggest enemies, especially when you have spent the whole weekend trying to sleep your hangover off. You really shouldn't have went overboard with the shots, but it's always easier said than done. You don't try to make yourself believe it won't happen again, because it will surely do. Lately it has occurred to you that you might have a slight problem with knowing your limits when it comes to alcohol. It's not that you are an addict and seek every possibility to chug down something in secret. It's more about knowing when to stop when you are at it. It's so hard to judge when you should draw the line and not have another one when you are having such a good time! You've heard endless sermons from your mother when you were younger and ended up coming home a little more hammered than what fitted her taste. She wasn't completely against drinking, she believes it's a nice way to ease your nerves and has been having drinks in the evenings herself, but she has a strong opinion about going overboard, something you've been struggling with.

"Guys find it disgusting, Y/N. Know your limits or no guy will stay with you if you can't stop yourself from knocking yourself out."

You rolled your eyes at her then and you roll your eyes at her now. As if a man has a word in what you do!

Sitting at your desk you find yourself checking the time every ten minutes, longing for your lunch break already, but time seems to be passing extremely slowly on this miserable day. You basically jolt up from your chair when the clock strikes 12 and head out of the building to find a place to eat. You were certainly not in the mood to do any mealprep for the week ahead so now you are stuck with having to eat out.

There's a sandwich bar down the street and you refuse to go any farther just to have to walk back after lunch. Walking in you are happy to see that it's not jam-packed yet, but knowing well how it goes in lunch time, the seats will surely be taken in no time. Walking up to the counter you order a turkey sandwich with a lemonade and take a seat at one of the smaller tables in the back, putting your bag to the empty chair and leaving your phone on the table next to your plate you start scrolling while eating.

Just as you expected, people start to flow in pretty soon and all the empty seats get taken. You've just scrolled past some funny cat video when you glance up and almost choke on your food.

At the counter, back facing you, but you already know his figure enough, stands Harry Styles, hands stuffed into his pockets as he is checking out the sandwiches behind the glass.

"Unbelievable," you growl to yourself as you try to turn so you are hidden somehow behind the plant that's besides you. Peeking from behind its leaves you try to keep an eye on him without being suspicious.

Harry pays for his food and flashes a smile at the cashier before turning around to find a place. Unfortunately, there are no free tables left, only seats here and there, one at your table as well.

At first you plan on pretending you don't see him and pay he won't recognize you either. After your encounter on the train last Friday you are not quite in the mood to have lunch with him. But then you see the disappointed look on his face as he searches for a free spot and your conscience can't take it any longer.

Turning to face him you bring yourself out from behind the plant and wave in his direction. His eyes catch your hand in the air and a surprised look flashes across his face but heads in your way anyway.

"Hey, I didn't even see you there," he chuckles taking the seat that you just emptied from your bag, putting it to the floor next to you.

"Yeah, probably the plant," you say awkwardly and he just nods placing his plate to the table.

"Do you come here often?" he asks upon starting his ham and cheese sandwich.

"No, though my office is near. I usually bring food."

"Ah, I see."

"Do you?"

"No," he shakes his head. "I was just nearby and thought I would stop by for lunch."

There's a long pause when neither of you say a word, just eat in silence though that conversation from Friday hangs in the air heavily.

Surprisingly Harry is the first one to break this silence.

"I... wanted to call this weekend to apologize."

"Really?" It's not that you didn't want an apology, you were just definitely not expecting one from him.

"Yeah. I know I have overstepped quite some boundaries lately and... I'm sorry for that. I promised Rosa I would try to work on our..."

"Friendship?" you ask with a small smile. There's not really a word for what the two of you really have.

"Yeah," he chuckles nodding. "Look, I was drunk too, I don't know what's gotten into me. Sorry for sticking my nose into your business. You're right, I don't know you well enough to have an opinion on these stuff."

You nod shortly, a sense of relief taking over your body. It's nice to finally have your truth confirmed by him and it's kind of ridiculous it took the two of you so long to actually have a nice, mature conversation.

"Thanks, I appreciate it."

"And I know I've been the one to tease you and pick on you most of the time, but I promise I'll try to work on shutting my mouth from now on."

You laugh leaning back in your seat, because this is surely way more than what you were expecting from him, but it's still funny to hear it from his mouth. Never thought this day would ever come.

"I promise I'll hold my tongue too. I want Rosa to stop worrying about us. She clearly cares about us so I wouldn't want to be the reason why she stresses, she has enough on her plate."

Harry nods in agreement and with that, the topic is considered closed. You have officially called it truth with the villain of your life, Harry Styles.

***

Valerie is watching the ducks in awe, as if they were the most beautiful creatures for her on this whole wide world. Her eyes follow them glide across the shimmering surface of the pond and pulling out your phone you take a quick photo of her before turning back to Rose next to you on the bench.

It's a warm Sunday afternoon nearing the end of October, Rosa called you in the morning if you wanted to tagalong for their afternoon walk and you happily took the chance to spend some more time with your sister and your favorite little niece.

"It's so nice to get out of the house and go farther than just the supermarket," she sighs, closing her eyes as she enjoys the warm sunshine caressing her face. You can tell she's been losing sleep, Val just started teething and Rosa told you how fussy she's been during the nights.

"The joys of parenthood," you chuckle and she just huffs.

"Harry was over the other afternoon, dropped something off for Steven."

"Uhuh."

"He mentioned you."

"Really?" you ask looking ahead of you, eyes glued to one particular duck as it nears the edge of the pond, then duckling out to the grass it sits comfortably in the sunshine.

"Yeah, he said you two had lunch together the other week."

"Well, it's not like it was planned, we just happened to be at the same place," you correct her.

"Either way I'm happy you two are getting along."

"It's relaxing," you admit with a soft chuckle. This worrying feeling you've been constantly feeling when someone brought Harry's name up is finally gone from your chest. It's nice to know you won't have to avoid him at every event you run into him.

"So what do you have planned for the anniversary?" you ask her. It's crazy it's been three years since Rosa and Steven got married, which also means that it took exactly three years for you and Harry to put the past behind you.

"Uh, nothing?" she huffs with a grimace. "There's not much you can do with a teething baby, you know? Will probably just have dinner together and if we don't fall asleep immediately we can watch a movie."

"Val is the only reason why you are staying home?"

"I mean, mostly, yeah."

"I can look after her for a night, if you want," you offer right away. It's the least you can do for her.

"Nah, I can't ask you that. I know how much you work and she wakes up at least two times during the night even on her best days. You need to rest too."

"I have way more time to rest than you. You deserve a night off from your motherly duties."

"Are you sure?" she asks, looking for any sign on your face that tells her you are not being serious.

"Absolutely. Just... give me a list of things I need to know and do and we'll be fine," you nod eagerly as you turn to look at Val. "Right, Princess? We'll have a sleepover!"

Val just glances at you curiously, furrowing her tiny eyebrows before her attention is diverted by a falling leaf.

"She's excited," you tell Rosa and she just chuckles.

"Would you really do this for us?"

"Of course! It's just one night, I can do one night."

"You are literally an angel she sighs and hooking an arm around your shoulders she pulls you to her lovingly. This is what sisters are for.

***

Your body is basically buried under your favorite thick blanket, sunk into the plush couch as you watch a rerun from How I Met Your Mother, a warm tea on the coffee table. You've had a long day and you intended to go to bed early, but figured six is a little too early, so you got stuck with whatever the TV had to offer you, however you know you'll be in bed by eight for sure.

Munching on some dried apple chips you let out a tired sigh when you see that you've reached the end of the bag. Tossing it to the floor you slide down lower on the couch when your phone buzzes somewhere under your butt. It takes you some time to actually find it and get a hold of it, but you're rather surprised when you see you just got a text from Harry.

To be exact, he just sent you a photo. Opening the thread you wait for the attachment to load and when it does, you snort out loud.

It's a photo of him with a ridiculously small, pink hat that's probably for Valerie, but seeing it on his head as he is grinning widely into the camera you can't help but laugh.

"Looking great, new fit?" you write him back and the little bubbles start moving almost immediately.

"Thought it was time for a change in my image. You like it?"

"Pink suits you well."

"Thanks, I've been told that."

You smile at the screen as another message pops up.

"I've been going a little overboard with the shopping for Val..."

"Never feel ashamed for that!"

"But Rosa made me promise the Gucci onesie was the last thing I bought for her."

"You bought her a Gucci onesie??!?!! Harry, she is not even one, she will shit into that Gucci.."

"But it looked so cute! I had to buy it!"

"You need therapy, Harry."

"Isn't that what friends are for?"

You have a witty comeback to make about how he has zero friends, but you don't want to ruin the light mood with even the slightest possibility of sending him an insult he might take too seriously.

"You're right!"

"Okay, now it's your turn to send me a silly photo."

"What?!"

"Come on, I sent you one, now you have to send one to me too!"

"Says who?"

"Me. Come on, do it!"

He is so childish, you think to yourself as you open your gallery and try to find something that's silly but not too embarrassing either. You find a picture back from April when you were having a grimace contest with your cousin's kids and someone snapped a picture of you with puffy cheeks and crossed eyes. You hesitate for a moment but then send it to him anyway.

Waiting for his answer you turn your attention back to the TV until your phone buzzes in your hands again.

"I said send me a pic of you, not a hamster!"

You gasp at the mean but also funny reply. He surely didn't shy out from insulting you, unlike you did.

"Oh, fuck you, Harry!"

You almost instantly regret sending that to him, because you know what his answer is to that every time it leaves your mouth. So you are already bracing yourself to receive that "you already have" text... But it never arrives.

"Jk, you look cute. But don't cross your eyes too much, would be a shame if they stayed like that."

"And why is that?" you find yourself typing back.

"Don't let those pretty eyes go to waste."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.2K 1.1K 27
"Oi, what happened to treat people with kindness?" Louis yells loud enough for Harry to hear from across the street. "That goes for everyone but you...
1.2K 49 18
how far do you have to go to escape reality? violetta fern zampino has been wondering this since she found her mother's body. violetta hasn't ever e...
171K 7K 64
"Can you for once be honest with yourself, Louis?" Harry pulls his hair. He is so frustrated with the guy he has been living with for the past few we...
2.5M 103K 32
[3rd place in the Bromance Awards Holiday 2015] The Styles and the Tomlinsons. Those two families have never gotten along with each other due to an...