The Shrewd Wolves (H&HP Serie...

By shruthii

"You don't want a mate and neither do I. So for the sake of our wolves, let's just complete the mating proces... More

Description
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Epilogue

Chapter 14

47.5K 1.5K 161
By shruthii

Hola!

Chapter 14 is here and it is dedicated to @cutejaya1 :D

Pic on the side is of Quillon’s wolf >>>

****

“ There isn’t a person in this

city more dangerous than a

wolf whose mate is in danger.”

Patricia Briggs , Fair Game

(Alpha & Omega, #3)

QUILLON P.O.V

“Don’t come to pick me up today evening. I am going to my house after which Duncan will drop me?” Darya said as soon as I brought the car to a halt in front of her college.

“Why are you going there?” I couldn’t help but ask.

“I have stuff to do and I miss Lorcan” she replied getting out. I didn’t reply because it has been a week since she had moved to the pack and every day she talks to that little boy on the phone. She doesn’t even correct the Alpha heir when he calls me bad.

Waving at me as well as at her guards, she rushed inside the entrance. I watched Darya running there, but suddenly she stopped, walked backwards and then went and turned off the tap. Smiling, I shook my head. She is very peculiar when it comes to plants and water. The other day, I had forgotten to turn off the tap and Darya lectured me for about an hour about it. My ears are still ringing from all the swear words she had used after I did a big mistake of growling at her.

Snapping out of my thoughts, I shook my head and looked for Darya, only to see that she had already gone to her class. Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath, to find any strange scents around. When I was sure there was none, I brought the engine back to life.

Her guards stared at me, but a low growl from me was enough for them to look away.

Around ten that morning, I was sitting in my office and reading a file that listed names of Cable’s victims. He is like a serial killer. That too the unstable, cannot help themselves, kind. Slowly, I was making a plan on how to target him.

I raised my head and inhaled, when I heard a knock on the door. It was Nevin. “Come in” I said lowly leaning back against my seat.

“Your dad sent you this” Nevin dropped envelopes on my desk and I nodded. “Also, he said that he wants you to join office ASAP” Nevin added with a smirk and I rolled my eyes.

What part of I-need-a-break my dad couldn’t understand? That too it’s just two months. After that, I am ready to join the company. In these two months, I want Konrad and his allies dead.

“I will talk to him later about that” I mumbled and went back to reading the file.

“Are you ever going to explain what are you up to?” Nevin demanded, leaning forward and picking up the envelope, which had recent photographs of Konrad and his allies.

“Not until I have a plan” I replied calmly without looking up.

“And how is ‘LUST’ going to help you in your plan?” Nevin asked in confusion. He didn’t understand! No one will. “Why exactly have you written this?” he asked again, staring at the word, I have written at the back of Cable’s photograph.

“That is their weakness and that is what is going to kill them” I said with a grin and Nevin shot me a puzzled look.

“Lust? Lust is Cable’s weakness?” he questioned and I nodded. Nevin leaned back against his seat and had a faraway look in his face. “You are right” he said all of a sudden and I cocked an eyebrow. “Majority of his victims are woman. So, amongst all these, you are planning on killing Cable first?” Nevin inquired and I nodded.

“Wanted to kill him ever since he killed those innocent pack girls” I stated through gritted teeth and Nevin nodded.

“But how did you know their weakness? Cable was from our pack, but how did you find about the others weakness when you have not yet met them?” he enquired seriously and I clenched my jaws.

“I have read their files” I announced with a growl, which said the topic was over. I am not in the mood to explain myself to anyone. Except my parents and my brother, no one knows how I am able to recognize a person’s character. But in this case, it really was only by reading their files and hearing about them through the victim’s families.

My wolf wanted me to share it with Darya, but I will not. Not until she joins my pack, and not until I claim her as mine.

Right now, I feel Darya is secretive. About what… I didn’t know. Nevertheless, I intended to find it soon. Every day, I find her staring at me. Initially, I thought she was trying to figure out what I was hiding, but now, I have realized that she is hiding something.

Something is bothering her and I haven’t got any clue what it is. If I wanted to, I could find it, just like that… but my own principles were preventing me from doing that.

“How are you planning to bring Cable out of his hideout?” Nevin inquired.

“He is going to come out of his hideout” I announced confidently. “People like Cable they need their dose to remain sane. He will come out to pick his next victim and that is when I am going to catch him.” I murmured. But the problem was that the mutt had no particular pattern of where he stays. He is like a vagabond.

“So you have it all planned?”

“Not yet” I replied. I have to first find out where he currently is.

“Q, I hope you are aware that if Konrad comes to know you are after him, then he will definitely come after your family… your mate” he added nervously at the end and I nodded. I knew, Konrad would target Darya, but I wouldn’t let that happen.

“If that happens, then I will make sure Konrad regrets setting eyes on what is mine” I growled out savagely and Nevin nodded with a gulp.

Nobody harms what’s mine!

Nobody!

“You need my help in anything?” Nevin asked.

“No” I said dropping my gaze on my file. I could feel Nevin’s curious gaze on me. He was hesitating to say something and his hesitation was bugging me. “What?” I snapped looking at him and he looked flabbergasted.

“I...” he began and I furrowed my brows. “Actually, there is a new grapevine spreading around the pack” he continued.

“What does it say?” I asked without interest.

“About Darya’s birth… You know…” he hesitated and I frowned.

“Go on”

Nevin closed his eyes and said, “About how Darya is a bad omen because her mom died giving birth to her.”

I clenched my fists and growled viciously. “Who. Started. It?” I demanded through gritted teeth.

“I don’t know. My first suspicion was obviously Leah” he replied.

“You are not sure” I stated and he nodded. If it is not Leah, then who else? Very few people knew the truth about Darya’s birth.

“If I hear any word against Darya, then I am going to make sure that it is the last time they speak…. Spread this around the pack and tell them, it is NOT a rumor” I declared and Nevin nodded with a chuckle.

“Bee is very fond of her” Nevin said and I knew the ‘her’ here referred to Darya. “It’s obvious Darya is the only she-wolf who is friends with her” he remarked dully.

“You cannot force people to be friends” I pointed out.

“I am waiting for Leah to find her mate and leave the pack” he breathed out through gritted teeth and I smirked. There are many people who are in that list. My mom is obviously the first one. “Why doesn’t Darya do anything about her?” Nevin asked in exasperation.

“She said and I quote, ‘don’t have enough time to waste on irritating fleas’” I said amusedly. Darya had said that three days ago, after Leah and her friends had broken her car windows.

“Darya isn’t even the slightest bit worried about Leah?” Nevin queried and I shook my head.

Actually, I was happy it was that way. I liked Darya’s confidence when it came to dealing with other she-wolves of the packs. She wasn’t even the least bit bothered about what they say about her and even if she heard what they said, she would just shrug it off. She wouldn’t complain about it to me and I appreciated it. But if my pack wolves cross their limit, then I wouldn’t hesitate in teaching them a lesson.

Darya is my mate and I want everyone in the pack to treat her with respect, even if I hadn’t claimed her as mine.

“That’s good I guess” he mused and sighing, I went back to reading Cable’s file.

After lunch, my other friends joined me in the office. Harvey, who was given the task of placing CCTV camera’s around the border was pointing out to me, using a map, where all he had kept it.

“Number 14 is on the oak tree, near the Czar pack. It’s facing our pack” Harvey said and I nodded gulping down the water from a bottle. “And number 15 is on the nearby teak tree, which is facing the Czar pack. That way we will come to know if any fucking wolves from Vincent’s pack come to our territory” he added.

I checked the time and furrowed my brows when I saw that it was already two.

“You have to go somewhere?” Clay asked.

“I have to pick Darya up” I replied but then remembered that she had asked me not to. “Actually no… I don’t have to go anywhere. Continue” I commanded Harvey.

While Harvey was explaining the camera placed near the Supreme Pack border, Ram came rushing into the office. All of us stopped doing our work and looked at Ram in confusion.

“Q, you have got to see this” he breathed out rushing towards me and handing me his tab.

Frowning, I unlocked the screen. My eyes widened and dropping the tab, I growled thunderously, which caused everyone around me to take a step back. My wolf snapped his jaws and soon my claws and fangs were out.

“Where did you get it from?” I demanded in a savage tone, glaring at Ram, who gulped in fear.

“Mike saw it and sent me to show it to you” Ram answered hastily while I tried to suppress my wolf from surfacing.

“What’s in it?” Nevin asked leaning forward to check the tab.

Once again, I dropped my eyes on the tab. In the screen, was a photo of a smiling Darya and below it was written- 50 MILLION FOR ANYONE WHO KILLS HER WITHIN 48 HOURS.

My whole body started shaking in anger and another ferocious growl erupted from my chest, before I finally shifted into my wolf.

Everyone stepped further back giving me space, while I kept snarling furiously.

“Q, calm down” Nevin said and I snapped my jaws at him. I cannot calm down! Harvey was quick to react, because he slid open the floor-to-ceiling window and I jumped out from there, before running towards entrance.

Mom, who was about to come to my house, stopped in her tracks when she saw me, “Q?” she called but I ran past her towards the woods, which leads to Emperor Pack.

‘If mom asks, don’t tell her anything’ I warned to all my friends through the link in my Alpha tone.

I have to see Darya I have to. I needed to make sure she is safe.

My surroundings were a blur of green and brown as I raced through the woods. I wanted to go to Darya’s college as soon as possible.

Emperor Pack guards did see me running towards the woods, but they didn’t stop me. If they had tried, then I would have vented my anger out at them.

An hour later, when I reached Darya’s college, I realized that her college has already left. For a second, I panicked thinking where she was, but then I traced her scent towards her farm.

I couldn’t actually go closer to her farm, because there were humans around so, I stopped in the middle of the woods. Raising my head, I looked up at the sky and then let out a long howl. My wolf wanted to see her and it was his way of calling his mate.

Thinking that she didn’t quite hear it, I gave another howl.

While I waited patiently for Darya, in the woods, Emperor Pack wolves, spotted me and circled around me. I really did not want this at the moment. But when I saw those wolves growling at me, something inside me snapped.

Standing tall, I dug my paws on the growl, raised my hackles and displayed my sharp canines, before growling lowly. It had been a long time since I had dominated other pack wolves.

Staring at the eyes of those wolves, I took step forward. All Emperor Pack wolves, hustled closer to each other, when they saw me approaching. First, they lowered their tail and then their bodies, before dropping their gaze and offering me complete submission.

I snapped once and they slowly took a step back.

When I was sure, they wouldn’t bother me anymore; I walked away and patiently waited for Darya.

Why is she not here yet? What happened to her? My heart pounded in my chest and I paced around.

Who dared to do this? Who the fuck is the instigator here? When I find them, I am going to shred them. Is it my enemies or… does she have any enemies?

I was brought out of my thoughts when I heard footsteps. Closing my eyes, I inhaled deeply and sighed when I realized that it was Darya’s scent.

She is safe!

Five seconds later, Darya emerged from between the trees. When she saw me, she stopped running and started breathing heavily. Slowly, she ran her eyes all over me. I realized that it was the first time she was seeing me in my wolf form. Darya took her time in examining me and after few seconds, her irises turned red and I knew she liked what she saw. Satisfied, I growled softly and Darya gulped and nervously ran her tongue over her lower lip. My wolf groaned when he saw that and Darya looked startled.

“Quillon?” she called uncertainly and I bared my fangs as a reply. “Wow” she breathed out and my wolf wagged his tail, in delight at her reaction to his form. But once, I realized I was behaving like a puppy, I growled aggressively and Darya blinked.

“What are you…?” she stopped when she saw the wolves from her pack, who were still there in their submissive position. Gasping, she took a step towards them, “What the…?” she whispered before looking at me. “You did that?” she questioned and looking at her pack wolves, I growled lowly.

Immediately, they lowered their lashes. I knew their wolf was asking them to submit to me, but why… they had no clue.

“Leave us alone” Darya commanded and the wolves stood straight and walked away after bowing to us.

When they were all gone, Darya stared at me through eyes. “How are you able to do that?” she questioned staring at me in disbelief. I have been doing that for years now, but I didn’t yet tell Darya the truth about why other pack wolves also submit themselves to me.

“Drop it...” she murmured running a hand through her hair and then looked at me with concern, “Why did you call me here?” she asked. I very much appreciated the concern written in her grey eyes, but I didn’t appreciate her being dense at the moment. There she is, asking me questions, when she knows I cannot reply to her.

“Quillon?” Darya questioned and I took a step forward. When will this Blondie grasp that I am not able to talk?

I took another step forward and snapped my jaws, right in front of her and she frowned, “What… Oh! I am sorry” she stuck her tongue out and I huffed. “For a moment I forgot you cannot talk” she said with a guilty smile.

Slowly, I sat like a sphinx in front of her and with my head I motioned for her to sit on my back. The only other person who I had let sit on my back was Quinn, and that too before he shifted into his wolf. 

“You want me to get on your back?” she queried startled and I growled. Yes, I did want her to sit on my back so that I could take her to my pack. I wanted her with me… away from any sort of danger. “But I…” she stopped talking when my eyes clashed with her grey ones. Slowly, she nodded and then walked towards me.

Before sitting on my back, she slowly ran her fingers on my thick coat of midnight blue fur and I closed my eyes and purred like a jungle car because when she did that light tremor ran over my body.

Once Darya sat on my back, she slowly ran her hand over my shoulders. Rumbling, I stood up and took off to my pack. This time, no one from her pack stopped us.

While I was running, in my wolf form, Darya leaned closer, lowered her head and rested it on my head to prevent wind from fanning her face.

Almost an hour later, I reached my house. My friends were already there waiting for me. They were all near the driveway, but when they saw me, they made way for me to go ahead. I stopped right outside the main door and slowly Darya got down, while I made my way towards the gym room, where I always keep extra set of clothes.

After shifting back, I wore grey sweatpants and a white undershirt before going out to meet others. My gaze first clashed against Darya’s who was looking at me with concern.

“What happened?” she questioned shooting me a confused look.

“Bring it” I ordered Ram, who brought the tab and showed it to Darya.

Hitching her brows together, Darya took the tab and then stared at it. Her eyes widened and she inhaled sharply when she saw what was on the screen. She looked at me, gulped and then looked back at the screen.

“Oh My God! Fifty million” she gasped and then almost dropped the tab but Ram caught it in time. “Sorry” she said.

“Darya” I called and nervously, she looked up. “You have any idea who could have done that?” I asked looking her in the eye.

Darya swallowed audibly and stared at me for a long time before replying with a negative. Slowly, her irises moved to the left corner of her eyes and I knew something was going on in her pretty little head.

“Q” Nevin called me but with my hand, I motioned for him to stop. My whole attention was on Darya.

“Darya” I called her and this time, when her eyes clashed with mine, they were burning crimson. I loved it. I loved the color a lot and every time I look at those red flaming eyes, my wolf purrs.

“I don’t know” she said through gritted teeth and then slowly lowered her lashes but her fists were clenched in a tight fist. She knew or she suspected someone who would do this. But she wouldn’t tell me and even though I was furious, I kept a deadpan expression in my face.

“Okay” I murmured and looked at Nevin. “Call a hacker. I want to find the person who did this” I ordered and turned to go to my office.

“I know to hack” Darya said and I stopped on my tracks. I couldn’t even hide my surprise when she said that.

“You know to hack?” I queried.

“I have basic level training. But I know someone who is also an expert in this field” she replied

 “You will be able to do this?” I asked unsurely and she shrugged.

“The person doesn’t want us to trace him” Darya said closing shut the laptop. “Fake names.Fake accounts. This person wants to be anonymous” she stated leaning back in her seat.

I frowned because any assassin would come to kill her for the money. The thought made my wolf furious and I clenched my fist under the table.

“The person might change the IP address next time” she said pinching her lips together and I growled. I will not let Darya out of my sight for the next 48 hours. I will kill anyone who will even think of hurting her. She is mine!

“You said you know an expert in the field” I reminded and she nodded. “Ask him to find it” I instructed.

“I already sent a message” she replied and then stood up. “I will inform if I get any news” she said and turned to leave.

“She knows something we don’t” Harvey pointed out once the door was close. I was wondering the same but Darya’s calm reaction was confusing. However, she wasn’t calm at first. She was furious because her eyes had turned crimson. It seemed she had been through something like this even before.

“Who do you think it might be?” Nevin questioned.

“I suspect Cable at the moment, because he knows I am hunting him” I said through gritted teeth, pinching the bridge of my nose. “He has the money too because he steals from his victims.”

“You think they are after Darya because of you and not because of Duncan?” Ram questioned and I opened my eyes and frowned.

Why didn’t I think about it?

Getting up from my seat, I went upstairs to Darya’s room. Her door was locked and I had to knock it twice before the door was opened. One look at Darya’s red nose, I knew she had been crying.

My heart squeezed in pain and I immediately stepped inside the room and closed the door and frowned at her. Gulping, she took a step back before lowering her lashes.

“Darya-”

“I am fine” she incised.

“I know that” she looked up and glared at me, which caused me to smirk. There! That’s better.

Huffing, she went and sat on the bed. “Does Duncan have a lot of enemies?” I queried and she looked up surprised.

“No… why would you ask that?” she asked confused.

“Maybe they are after you because of Duncan” I pointed out and Darya pursed her lips. “What?” I questioned in frustration.

“It is not Duncan because his enemies would naturally target Sel and Lorcan before me” she explained and I nodded grudgingly. “But if you want, you can talk to him. I will forward you the number” she said picking up her cellphone and already engaged in doing the task.

I frowned as I saw her and when she looked up, she noticed it. “You seriously don’t have any enemies?” I demanded cocking an eyebrow.

Darya inhaled sharply before whispering no. Growling, I glared at her. “Look at me” I ordered and through gritted teeth she did as told. However, her eyes were the color of flames.

“I asked. Do you have any enemies?”

“I do. But even if they join all their money, it wouldn’t total up to fifty million” she said never taking her eyes of mine. “I will find the person who put prize money to kill me on some shitty website later.  But first, I want to see who is going to be stupid enough to try it” she said dropping her cell-phone on the bed. “I sent you the number” she added and I nodded.

My wolf was still pacing inside me. He wanted to know if she was really alright or if she was pretending to be alright. Darya looked up and as her grey eyes met mine, she scowled, “What?”

“Don’t go out” it was an order, not a request from me.

“Why not?”Is she seriously asking me that?

“I don’t want you to go out” I said through gritted teeth.

Darya narrowed her eyes and then as they went back to normal, there was unhidden amusement in it. She faked a gasp before saying, “Careful Careful Quillon, you sound a little attached.”

Gritting my teeth, I growled when she threw my own words at me. The doll face is baiting me… again! Totally undaunted, Darya started chuckling. Muttering a curse, I threw open the door and walked out.

Just when she was about to close the door, I stopped and placed my hand before saying, “I meant it.”

All humor faded from her eyes, before she gulped and nodded. My wolf was pleased to hear it.

While I was going downstairs, I called Duncan, who was quick to answer, “Duncan Rhoades” he said.

“Quillon here. Have you seen the website?” I straightaway asked him.

“Yes. Darya told me” he said grimly.

“Anyone you suspect?”

“No. Anyone you suspect?” he countered.

“No.” Then who the fuck did this?

“I don’t know what sort of arrangement you have in your pack, but the moment she steps into Emperor, her guards will always be there to protect her for the next two days” Duncan said and stopping in the stairs, I snarled loudly.

“I am not letting my mate out of my sight Rhoades. Not when her life is in danger” I spat furiously.

“Good” Duncan said in admiration and I growled. “I just want my sister safe” he added at the end and my wolf retreated.

“She is safe here” I said before hanging up. I knew I could keep her safe.

“Fifty million is a lot of money” Harvey reminded me, while I was back in my office and my wolf bristled. I knew it was a lot of money because anyone would come after Darya, just for the money.

“Anyone who has seen it will come after her” Clay stated while I pinched the bridge of my nose.

“How many others in the pack know about this?”

“No one” Ram replied and I heaved a sigh. “But obviously it would spread around the rogues rapidly. All rogues might now be searching for her” I immediately stiffened and held the side of the table, very tightly.

The website didn’t have anything else except for those two lines and her photo. It didn’t even have her name or address. What if the website was a contract given by someone to an assassin?

My first duty is to protect Darya for the next 48 hours… after that I am going to find the person who instigated this. Now, I know who is definitely going to come after her for the money. “I don’t know about others, but I know one rogue who is surely going to come to kill Darya” I announced abruptly and my wolf growled savagely.

“Who?” Harvey asked totally confused.

“Rick” I said with a growl. “His weakness is greed.”

****

Hope you liked it :)

So, who do you think wants Darya dead? Konrad or a new enemy ? ;)

And majority of you all wanted Quillon to see the video and he will see the video in chapter 16. But before that I will be posting chapter 15 on 4th February.

Please read, vote and comment until then.

Love you loads :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

173K 5.4K 37
Book 1 - The Lotus Moon Series - Beta Lancaster Beta Taylor Lancaster was never supposed to take a mate, as a category three dangerous wolf, he was d...
394K 9.8K 17
I smelt something calming, like the smell of rain and vanilla and suddenly, a guy came in charging at Gabriel. Gabriel didn't have any time to react...
2.8M 139K 46
Grace has spent the past two years locked up and held prisoner by Kellan and his rogues. Now that she is finally free she wants nothing more than to...
3.1K 162 6
"I know we've just met but I want to ask you out on a date." There was a beast like glint in his eyes that bothered a tiny part of me. I clutch on to...