Blazing Crystal

By FaithHarris8

(Revised Version in separate story. Check my profile under my other works to find it) "Me, you idiot! I love... More

Frozen in Ice
Meeting Fire
Stubborn Water
Boiling Tea
Heated Battle
Moonlight Song
Fire Lily
Cooling The Flame
Hot Springs
Streaming Heart
Flowing Friendship
Raging Storm
Budding Passion
Two Worlds Apart
Heal Me
Dark Water
No Turning Back
A New Journey
Flowing River
Fighting the Current
The Wilderness
Black Flakes
Song of the South
Forbidden Romance
Barren Wasteland
Glaciers
Fates Harsh Truth
Hard Topics
The Gang
The Southern Water Tribe Warriors
Mini-Vacations
An Endless Journey
A Hopeful Journey
Taking Down the Beast
The Search
The Right Path
Tides of Change
The Rescue
A Taste of Victory
Family Conflictions
Bad Luck Charm
The Leopard-Seals Prey
Water and Fire
Her Prince Charming Part 1
Her Prince Charming Part 2
Not His Father
Team Avatar
My Reflection
Rotten Fruit
Burning Flame
Faith
Sea Ravens Part 1
Sea Ravens Part 2
Blood Moon
Dark Craters Part 1
Dark Craters: Part 2
Into the Pit
Endless Night Part 1
Endless Night: Part 2
A New Day
The Mend
Scars Run Deep
Sleepless
Courage or insanity
Flight or Fight
The Sage
Merciless Melon
The Reunion
Destiny
Fire Lord Zuko
Fire Lady Crystal
Epilogue: Happily Ever After
A/N: Thank you! And New ATLA Story

Sunrise

1.4K 50 21
By FaithHarris8

Next part! Shorter chapter, but the next few will be much longer. Promise! Of course, this does mean they may take me a few extra days to break out. Work has been slow though so I may be able to crank one or two out this coming week.

Also... if anyone likes twilight check out my story "The Snow-Wolf". I just put the story on Wattpad and it is complete. It's about Jacob Black's sister and she is Seth's imprint. It's a great read!

Anyway.... BACK TO ATLA!

Chapter 67: Sunrise

The waves sounded in the distance. The sun was rising and the sky was starting to turn to day. Brushing a hand through my disheveled hair, I watched the waves as Zuko put his shirt and shoes back on. We had fallen asleep late last night, deciding we were too happy to cut our time together short. I knew there would be consequences for that, but I didn't know when we would have the time to be alone again in the coming days.

I had wanted to treasure my moment with my husband for as long as I could. And I knew he didn't mind the extended stay himself.

Every part of me felt complete. My heart. My soul. My body. The nightmares of my past seemed to vanish the longer I remained with Zuko through the night.

My scars no longer mattered...

Zuko had accepted me and told me I was the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen. He loved me, and I loved him.

I would cherish the memory of our first night as husband and wife forever.

"We need to head back," Zuko spoke softly, standing beside me as he stared out at the waves. "They will definitely question us for our disappearance..." He smiled down at me. "I'm sure they are freaking out already."

I sighed. "They'll be fine. It's not the first time I've disappeared in the night."

My husband laughed.

My husband... my one and only... I looked up at him, and could see him from the light of the rising sun. He was perfect in every way.

My husband... my true love... my protector...

He held his hand out to me, and I took it, wanting to feel his touch again. As he helped me up to my feet, I threw my arms around his waist and pressed my body against him again. He hugged me close, pressing his face into my hair.

"I love you so much, Crystal," he whispered.

"I love you too," I said again, for what felt like the hundredth time in the last twelve hours.

"Do you know what you'll tell your family if they ask where we were last night?"

I pulled away from him, but only so I could take his hands in my own. "Actually... I thought a lot this morning about that." I squeezed his hands. "I don't want to keep secrets from my family, and I don't want to keep you a secret. I also want to be able to sleep beside you in the days to come for as long as I can... we don't know the future..." I let out a heavy breath. "I'm going to tell them... we won't be able to hide it forever... I want them to meet my husband."

He was relieved to hear this. "So... I should get ready to dodge your sister's water whip and your brother's sword when we get back?"

I laughed. "Maybe. But more so, be prepared for Toph and her inappropriate comments. Clearly that child has a mind years above her age."

Zuko smirked. "Hey... We got married first. We did nothing wrong."

I smiled. "Yeah... Last night was perfect..."

He leaned forward and brushed my cheek with the back of his hand. "The best night of my life," he promised. "You're beautiful Crystal. I'm a lucky man." He pressed his lips to my own again, and my heart fluttered as memories of the night came rushing back. My hand moved to his hair, the soft black strands so warm to the touch. He pulled away, his face amused. "I really think we should head back before we get too distracted."

I breathed in disappointment. "I suppose. They'll start searching the island for us soon."

"Are you telling them as soon as we get back?"

I nodded. "Best get it out in the open. I want them to know who you are to me now. And I promised them no more secrets. I'll try to calm Sokka and Katara down. If they lunge at you I'm sure Aang will jump in to keep the peace."

He grimaced. "Now I'm nervous." He brushed a hand through my hair, getting out the last of my knots. "But thank you... I don't think I'd be able to hide you being my wife in the next few days to come."

We started our walk back, our hands intertwined again as we headed up the path, past the temple, and back through the palm covered trail. Our walk was slow as we tried to spend one more hour alone before joining the group again. As we walked, I leaned against Zuko in bliss.

He was my husband... He was my love. No matter how many days remained for us, at least now we could be together as one.

Once long ago, I had been raised to believe that waterbenders and firebenders were too different and could never unify. After last night, that belief became a foolish lie.

Water and Fire seemed to be a magical combination...

As we approached the beach house, we heard nothing but quiet. The sound of the waves in the distance, and the birds in the trees made me stay calm as our great challenge awaited. When we came around the front of the house, we saw the group out back. Aang and Toph were earthbending, Katara was washing some bowls with a pot of water, Sokka was sharpening his sword, and Suki was patting Momo who sat in her lap. Appa groaned when we arrived, greeting us to welcome us back.

As soon as we stepped into the area, all actions stopped. Sokka placed his sword down and jumped up from where he sat at the fountain.

"Where the spirits were you two last night?!"

His immediate concern did not cause me alarm. I held Zuko's hand tightly, trying to reassure him and keep him from running. We moved forward, and I met my brother's gaze with confidence. "I'll tell you... but first let Zuko and I eat something. Have you all had breakfast?"

The group was surprised. Sokka was confused. Katara stood up from the dishes. "Crystal...?"

"I promise I'll tell you everything," I said. "But first, I'm hungry."

Zuko and I ate some fruit, while the group sat around us and waited in anticipation. Sokka was the only one standing, and he looked between the both of us with suspicion. Once we ate, I took Zuko's hand and gave it a squeeze to offer comfort. He squeezed my own back, to let me know he was ready as well.

Standing, I glanced at my brother who looked even more anxious than when we first got back.

Aang was dying with anticipation. "What's going on, Crystal?"

I shot my gaze over to him and smiled. "Nothing bad." Then I glanced over at Sokka. "If my brother sits down, I will tell you all."

Sokka huffed, plopping down beside Suki who was also burning with curiosity.

I took in a heavy breath. "Okay... Before I get started, I want you all to understand that I love every one of you dearly. I don't want to keep secrets from you all anymore, which is why I'm being brave right now and telling you this." I sighed. "And I do pray that one day, when this madness is over, you all will get to see me and Zuko announce our love to the world. However, the future is very uncertain right now. We don't even know if we have tomorrow..."

I looked down at Zuko, who smiled up at me. He stood and took my hand, giving it a squeeze to offer me comfort this time. I looked back at the group, and spoke with calm. I felt at peace.

"Zuko and I went to meet Sage Ju on the other side of the island yesterday. He's a friend of Iroh's, and a member of the White Lotus..."

I tightened my grasp on Zuko's hand, and my eyes shot to Sokka's confused gaze, and then to my sister's uncertain one.

"The Fire Nation holds a sacred tradition in which a Fire Sage must be present for a marriage to be solidified..."

Katara's eyes widened. Sokka's jaw dropped.

"Zuko and I were wed at sunset last night. The man beside me right now is my husband."

The whole group was silent for a long time, soaking in the information I had just revealed to them. There was a mixture of emotions as everyone let my words hover in the air. Shock... hurt... bewilderment... thrill... frustration...

I spoke again after a moment, seeing no one else would speak. "Once we defeat the Fire Lord and end the war, which I pray will happen, then Zuko and I will have a formal wedding as promised. But, last night was something we both wanted. Mom always told me to follow my heart, and my heart led me to the decision to become Zuko's wife. I wanted to choose my destiny, and yesterday was the first time in my life I felt every step I took was my own choice."

Sokka had stood now, and Katara was standing as well. I looked between the both of them with resolve.

"I know  this information upsets you both, but you told me once long ago that you wanted me to be happy... I'm happy. I'm elated. I love Zuko, and he loves me... I hope you both can forgive me for going behind your backs, but I'm not sorry for what I did. Yesterday was the happiest day of my life. All of the pain of the past is gone... I feel free."

Only a second after I finished speaking, Katara raced forward and threw her arms around me. Her action shocked me. However, I could sense after a moment she wasn't strangling me. My hand released Zuko, but only so I could hug her back.

"I can't believe this! I'm so happy for you, Crystal!" She kissed me on the cheek with elation, and grabbed my forearms to meet my eyes again. "I mean, I'm furious you didn't tell us last night and had us worried sick about you when we got back and you were nowhere to be seen, but I had a feeling you two wouldn't hold out much longer. Toph kept joking you were already married anyway, so at least she's right now."

She took my hands then, squeezing them with sincerity.

"As long as you're happy, that's all that matters to me, Crys. The day you were burned, I was worried you would never smile again. Seeing you now, and seeing your joy, I can accept your decision with my whole heart." She let go of one of my hands, and pointed at my face sharply. "But I still get to plan your formal wedding after all of this fighting ends!"

I smiled, tears in my eyes as my heart soared at my sister's acceptance. "Deal."

She hugged me again, and then left my arms to hug Zuko and welcome him into our family. As she embraced my husband, I looked over at Sokka who had yet to speak.

Sokka's expression was impossible to read. I knew my actions last night went against everything our tribe stood for. I had married in a foreign land. I had married a firebender. I had married without being given away by my father. Sokka was a traditionalist, and my informal marriage was probably hard for him to understand.

He stepped over to me, and I tried to keep my heart calm. I was ready to defend my choice last night. I was ready to defend my husband.

To my surprise though, Sokka's hand brushed against my cheek and his thumb traced the top of my scar. His eyes softened, and his lips turned up slightly. "I'm hurt you went behind my back, but I'm not mad."

His words shocked me. Then I felt relief.

He spoke on. "I just want you to be happy, Crystal... When mom died, you were nothing but a shell. Even as the years passed, I feared I would never get back my sister again. When we lost you at the South Pole, I feared the worst... I was terrified that you would not survive being a prisoner after the trauma you had already faced in the past." He brushed a strand of hair behind my ear. "But when we finally reunited after months of being apart, I saw a complete change in you. Your spirit had returned. You found purpose after six years of pain and suffering. As much as I hated the thought of you falling for a firebender, I could see there was nothing I could do to sway you. And when I saw your pain as I forced you away from Zuko and Iroh, I could truly see that your heart belonged to another. I didn't understand then why you loved Zuko so much, but seeing the way he cares for you and the joy you both bring each other has finally opened my eyes."

His words calmed the last of my worries.

He hugged me then, pulling me to him and placing his hand behind my head. He spoke into my ear with reassurance, saying, "If Zuko makes you happy, then I'm willing to accept this decision."

"Thank you," I whispered, tears falling down my cheeks from elation. "That means so much, Sokka."

He pulled away, and I saw his eyes moisten with tears. "I can't believe my little sister is a woman now."

"Yeah... I was wondering why last night felt warmer than usual..." Toph suddenly commented. "How'd the honeymoon go?"

My ears turned red and I looked at Toph with fury. "Toph. That is none of your business!"

"Guess we'll find out in nine months," Toph shrugged.

Aang looked perplexed. Suki covered her face in disbelief. Sokka suddenly went wide eyed. Katara covered her mouth with a gasp.

"Come on, guys... What else would they have been doing all night?" Toph stood. "Seriously. No big deal. Not like they were doing anything wrong. Consummation is all part of marriage right?" She whistled and walked off.

Aang blinked a few times in total confusion. "What's she talking about?"

We all stared at Aang then with disbelief. I guess none of the monks had gone into detail with him about where babies come from...

Sokka spoke up, his voice breaking slightly from his sudden understanding of why me and Zuko were out all night. "Just stay innocent, Aang... For as long as you can..." He shot his eyes over to Zuko then. "You two better not do any of that while we're around! There are children here!"

I groaned. "This is not where I wanted this conversation to go."

Zuko sighed. "Relax, Sokka. Just kissing and hugging for now. We have to focus back on other things..."

"Before we even begin to focus on war," Sokka began, "I have to initiate you as my new brother-in-law!"

My eyes widened. "Sokka! No!"

He grinned over at me. "Oh, yes. Your punishment for being so secret yesterday."

Zuko suddenly became nervous. "What is he talking about?"

I huffed. "A stupid ritual in my tribe... Basically the men just sit around and see who gets wasted on alcohol first." I shook my head. "There is no time for that! You can have your fun after the war!"

Sokka argued. "There's plenty of time for strategy. I say we spend this day celebrating. I mean, it isn't every day my sister acquires a new husband. And I'm sure Zuko has loads of secrets he'll spill over a few glasses of wine."

Katara spoke up. "Sokka... do I need to remind you about the cactus juice?"

Sokka looked at her with question. "What about it?"

"You don't do very well with heavy drinks. Think you should just forget about this," she said. "You haven't had real alcohol before anyway, and I'm pretty certain that Zuko has. So you already lose."

Zuko smirked. "Unless Sokka wants to spill all of his secrets to me?"

Sokka huffed. "Fine. For now I will let this slide, but after the war we are totally having our moment!"

Suki sighed. "So... back to the main topic at hand, how does it feel to be a married woman, Crystal?"

Her question took me off guard. I glanced over at Zuko, who was curious towards my answer as well. "Honestly... not much different. Zuko and I were already together so much anyway, it all kind of feels the same... I mean... other than me being able to be with him without supervision now."

Sokka scoffed. "This changes nothing! I'm still watching you two like a hawk!"

Toph was back suddenly, coming around the fountain. I turned sharply to tell her to not say anything. She held her hands up quickly in surrender. "No worries, Princess. I had my fun. Just don't break the house with your 'cuddling' these next few nights." She smirked.

I grabbed the water from the fountain and shot it at her. She laughed and shot a stone dome around her to block my attack. When she came out of hiding, she held her hands up again. "Okay. Now I'm officially done. No more comments about your private matters. Promise."

Crossing my arms, I muttered, "I'll believe that when it actually happens."

"Wait... I'm really confused," Aang muttered. "What are you all talking about?"

I sighed. "Nothing, Aang. Sokka can explain it to you in a few years."

"Or I'd be happy to," Toph stated. "I mean, soon Aang and Katara will be married, right? Someone's gotta tell him."

Katara's own blush formed on her cheek. "No! Absolutely not!"

After a few more scolds towards Toph, things finally calmed down. Suki hugged me in congrats. Sokka shook Zuko's hand. Aang hugged me and Zuko also, saying he was so excited for us. Once the excitement dimmed, things resumed to partially normal. Zuko resumed Aang's training, while Katara and Suki sat on the steps with me and told me about the horrible play they saw last night.

"Your character was great," Katara said. "A pretty voice. She sang a few songs that had nothing to do with our tribe, but they were still pretty. My character was a huge cry baby! And she tried to seduce Zuko! I couldn't believe it!"

My eyes widened. "What?!"

She shook her head. "Thankfully Zuko's character rejected her, but man! That had the whole crowd in an uproar. I was made the bad guy for trying to get between you and Zuko. Aang had to hold me back from lunging across the seating onto the stage."

I sighed. "Well... I guess the writer felt a rival would add some flare to the show."

Suki giggled. "You should've seen Sokka's character though. Pretty accurate. All the guy talked about was food."

I laughed. "Yeah. That does sound like Sokka."

"And the person playing Aang was a girl, while the person playing Toph was a guy," Suki continued. "The play was a mess."

"Did it have a good ending?"

Suki and Katara fell quiet when I asked this. I looked at them with sudden concern.

"Um... not exactly..." Suki muttered. "Zuko and your character switched sides and joined the Fire Lord after deciding you loved one another and wanted to be together in the palace, and Aang died fighting the Fire Lord... It was the ending the Fire Nation desired..."

My eyes widened. "They had me switch sides?"

Katara nodded. "Yeah... The Fire Nation are rooting for you both as well, but in another way. They want Zuko to come to his senses, and they want you to choose him over your tribe. It was a horrible ending."

"And very inaccurate," I said softly.

Katara sighed. "I just hope Aang doesn't let it freak him out. He was a bit of a mess last night when we got back."

I took her hand and gave it a comforting squeeze. "As long as we keep encouraging him, then I know he'll be strong enough. And he has us... we'll help him as much as we can."

After Zuko and Aang trained for a few more hours, eating some lunch in between, Aang decided he was done and ran off to the beach to swim. The others ran off after him. Zuko argued as they left, telling them there was no time for that. Sokka argued that if we could make time for weddings, they could have some vacation time.

One they were gone, Zuko and I were left alone at the house again. Appa had gone to the beach with them. We really were alone this time.

Zuko was frustrated as we sat on the steps together. "Does he not realize how serious this is?! The comet is only a few days away, and he still can't go into the Avatar state. He needs to master these moves or he won't be any match against the Fire Lord."

I hugged him from the side, pressing my head to his chest as he kept an arm around me to keep himself calm. "We'll talk to them tomorrow... did you tell them about Ozai's plans with the comet?"

Zuko was surprised by my question. "No... but I thought our plan was to try and fight him before the comet... did they tell you anything different?"

I shook my head. "No... maybe we should get some clarification tomorrow... let them have their fun this evening. Give Aang a little bit to be a kid... we'll make sure they understand the severity tomorrow."

He sighed. "I guess so. I feel like we're already parents dealing with these kids."

I shook my head. "Our future children will be much more behaved than Toph."

Zuko laughed. He suddenly pulled me up from the steps, and whispered in my ear, "They'll probably be gone for an hour."

I felt my ears burn red and my heart accelerated. "If we're caught, you have to give Aang the talk."

He suddenly scooped me up so his arm was under my knees and his other was behind my back. I kept my arms around his neck to help stabilize me. He glanced down at me with blazing golden orbs. "Deal." He turned and carried me into the house. I dropped my head against him listening to his fluttering heart.

By the time the group came back, Zuko and I were sitting at the fountain freshened up and composed. Toph thankfully said nothing about our time alone, behaving for once. Aang raced over to me and showed me a conch shell he found on the beach. I took it from him and looked it over.

"Pretty Aang," I said. "You should keep it as a souvenir. Who knows when your next beach trip will be."

He grinned. "Yeah! Definitely."

That night after dinner, the group settled down in their rooms to sleep. Zuko and I moved to the master suite, deciding the small beds downstairs weren't as comfortable for two. Sokka still wasn't thrilled with the idea, but he promised he would try to get used to us being married now. I knew it would take him some time. I would always be his little sister.

He did joke with Suki at one point about getting married too, and Suki told him she wasn't quite ready. "I've only been with you for a few weeks, Sokka. Crystal and Zuko were together for months. Give me more time before we rush off and marry."

Toph did confront me just before we all went to bed. She grabbed my arm as I was about to head inside.

"Hey, Princess. Just so you know," she began. "I am super happy for you and Sparky. I only joke around with you because that's my nature."

I sighed. "I know, Toph. Don't blame me for getting flustered about it though... it really isn't your business."

She smiled. "Okay. I'll behave from now on. Promise." She hugged me then, saying, "Congrats. You two are perfect for each other."

I smiled, hugging her back. "Thanks, Toph."

The next day, Zuko convinced Aang to train again. Sitting on the back steps with Suki, Toph, and Sokka, we watched the two firebend. Aang had definitely gotten stronger, but I could tell he was anxious about using the element still.

As Aang shot a blast of fire from his extended hands, I could tell he was holding back. He didn't seem to be too interested in the training.

Zuko noticed this too. "More ferocious!"

Aang tried again, shooting his fist out and letting another blast fly in the air.

Zuko continued. "Imagine striking through your opponent's heart."

Aang shot another blast. He was starting to get irritated. "Ugh! I'm trying!"

Zuko tried to keep him focused. "Now let me hear you roar like a tiger-dillo!"

Aang stretched his arms out and roared softly as weak streams of fire shot from his palms and mouth. He glanced over at Zuko once he was done and grinned sheepishly.

Zuko was not amused. "That sounded pathetic! I said roar!"

Aang got mad this time, turned, and shot fire from his hands and mouth with rage. Momo shrieked and ran behind Zuko scared of the sudden frustration from the young Avatar. Sokka muttered beside me that Zuko was overdoing it, while Toph shrugged saying she did the same when she trained Aang.

I spoke up. "Zuko knows what he's doing. This is important."

Katara suddenly appeared with a tray holding some cups and a pitcher of liquid from inside the house. "Who wants a nice, cool glass of watermelon juice?"

Aang grinned, completely stopping his bending. "Ooo, ooo, me, me, me!

Zuko was appalled. "Hey!" He grabbed Aang by the back of his shirt. "Your lesson's not over yet! Get back here."

Aang tried to struggle out of his grasp, while Zuko lifted him from the ground with ease by one hand. I was impressed by his strength.

Suki argued from beside Sokka. "Come on, Zuko. Just take a break. What's the big deal?"

Zuko looked even more frustrated. "Fine."

He released Aang who rushed over to Katara to get the drink he wanted.

Zuko continued. "If you want to lounge around like a bunch of snail-sloths all day, then go ahead!" He stomped off to try and calm down.

I let out a heavy breath. I stood to follow. Before I could though, I heard Sokka say, "Maybe Zuko's right. Sitting around the house has made us pretty lazy. But I know just the thing to change that. Beach party!"

He jumped up grabbing Suki's hand.

"Wait! You guys! Zuko is right! This isn't time-"

Everyone ignored me and took off towards the beach. I watched them go with disbelief. They clearly were not concerned about the comet anymore. Zuko was right. We needed to intervene. Turning, I ran to catch up to Zuko who was pressing his fingers to his temple in frustration at the edge of the back yard.

"I've come to the conclusion that they aren't thinking of the comet. We need to tell them the Fire Lord's plans."

"Will it matter?" Zuko asked. "They don't listen to us. They're a bunch of kids! Aang isn't taking any of this seriously."

I stepped over to him, placing my hands on his shoulders. His tense frame relaxed as he felt my comforting touch. "I know this is frustrating... let's go down to the beach and remind them about the comet. Maybe they don't understand how serious it really is. You can tell them the history of Fire Lord Sozin using the comet to begin the war... Aang probably doesn't realize that his people died because of this horrible object. Maybe that will open their eyes."

Zuko sighed. He nodded. "There's only one way to get them to listen though." He turned and looked at me with determination. "I'm going to attack Aang," he said. "Remind him about the dangers of this war. He clearly needs some motivation."

I was horrified. "I... I don't think that's a good idea, Zuko. You'll anger the group if you attack Aang."

"Do you think they'll stop their foolish play and listen if I don't?"

I hesitated. I wanted to support him. I was anxious about the consequences though. "I'll... I'll let you do what you think is right. Just... don't hurt him..."

Zuko nodded. He kissed me on the lips to let me know it would all be okay. "Don't worry... this is all just part of his training plan. Stay here so you don't get hurt."

I still didn't feel great about this plan. However, I trusted Zuko not to hurt anyone. I promised him I would stay by the fountain unless things got a little out of hand. I was concerned not only about Aang, but also about Zuko. If he started attacking Aang, the others would probably step in and try to attack too. I didn't want Zuko getting hurt either. However, I knew Zuko was right. If we tried to go down to the beach and talk war to them they would all ignore us. They had been doing so for days. We had already been on Ember Island for four days now. We really needed to prepare. The comet was coming... if my calculation was correct, we only had a few days.

Sitting at the fountain, I fiddled with my necklace feeling my heart pound painfully. Zuko had disappeared already, and I wondered if me sitting back was the right thing to do. I had promised I would support Zuko, but was this what I meant? Having him attack my friend to teach a lesson?

I ran a hand through my hair in disbelief. I was thrilled to be Zuko's wife, but being his wife during a time of war was definitely not the ideal relationship I desired. I really prayed Sage Ju was right. I prayed to the spirits we would win this war.

An explosion sounded in the distance, birds flew into the air, and smoke trailed up in the sky on the other side of the house.

I groaned. Sitting back was so hard, but I trusted Zuko's heart and motivation were all pure. I heard Aang shout in the distance, and another explosion. More smoke rose in the air.

"Okay, Zuko... we do still need to kind of stay inconspicuous," I muttered.

Standing, I grabbed some water from the fountain and ran to the otherside of the house towards the blazing palm tree. I heard Zuko and Aang still fighting nearby, and Katara, Suki, Toph, and Sokka were shouting after them. As they panicked, and Zuko pursued his pupil, I raced to the two burning palm trees extinguishing each one. Once the fire was out, I ran back to the house and saw Aang on the roof with Zuko.

Aang snapped, gripping his staff tightly, "Get a grip before I blast you off this roof! I don't want to hurt you! You're my friend! And Crystal would be upset!"

Zuko didn't waver. "Go ahead and do it!" He shot fire towards Aang, and Aang slid down the otherside of the roof disappearing. Zuko followed in suit, and a moment later I heard furniture breaking inside the house.

Katara ran around the house suddenly and grabbed me firmly on the arm. "Has your husband lost his mind?!"

I covered my face as more fire appeared, causing a hole to blast through one of the walls. "No... he's completely sane... just teaching Aang a lesson."

"By trying to kill him?!"

I looked over at my sister with reassurance. "He won't. He's just trying to knock sense into him. The comet is in a few days, Katara. We are out of time. Aang has to face the Fire Lord. We don't have time to laze around anymore."

Katara was shocked. "Wait... no one told you two?"

Her question puzzled me. "Told us what?"

"Enough!" Aang's rage suddenly sounded from inside.

Zuko's shout stopped my conversation with Katara. I heard a crash on the side of the house, and heard something hit a tree. I ran to the side of the house, and was horrified to see Zuko on his knees, clutching his head in pain.

"Zuko!" I ran forward and fell beside him on my knees, looking him over with concern.

He muttered under his breath, "Next time, I'll let you talk me out of it."

I sighed, glad to hear he was talking and coherent.

Katara and the others suddenly appeared before us. Wood from the house was scattered all around. Aang landed beside the group with fury.

Katara snapped, "What's wrong with you?! You could have hurt Aang!"

I helped Zuko up, and he quickly defended himself. "What's wrong with me? What's wrong with all of you! How can you sit around having beach parties when Sozin's Comet is only 3 days away!"

His words stunned me. I had been wrong in my calculations. Three days?! I didn't realize it was that close!

The group looked at Zuko though with shock and confusion. I saw this and looked at them all with question.

Zuko asked, "Why are you all looking at me like I'm crazy?"

Aang rubbed the back of his neck. "I didn't know you and Crystal weren't informed... we actually discussed it back at the air temple... About Sozin's Comet..." Aang took a step forward. "I was actually going to wait to fight the Fire Lord until after it came."

His words stumped both Zuko and I.

"After?" We asked in unison.

Aang nodded. "I'm not ready. I need more time to master firebending."

Toph sighed. "And frankly, your earthbending could still use some work too."

Zuko blinked. "So... You all knew Aang was going to wait?"

Sokka frowned. "Honestly, if Aang tries to fight the Fire Lord right now, he's gonna lose. No offence."

Katara added, "The whole point of fighting the Fire Lord before the comet was to stop the Fire Nation from winning the war. But they pretty much won the war when they took Ba Sing Se. Things can't get any worse."

Zuko and I shared a glance. The group noticed our silent conversation.

"What?"

Suki's wary question made me hang my head.

Zuko responded. "You're wrong. It's about to get worse than you can even imagine. The day I managed to break into the Fire Nation Palace to save Crystal, I snuck into the war room where they were forcing her to sing."

I shivered at the memory.

Zuko quickly continued, trying not to hover over the dark memories. "I remained in the war room a few minutes after she was dragged out that night. My Father did not know I was there due to my disguise. I heard him speak to his council. He told his men that he was going to follow in the footsteps of Fire Lord Sozin, and use the comet to completely destroy the Earth Kingdom. Fire Lord Sozin used the comet a hundred years ago to wipe out the Air Nation. Ozai is going to take a mass fleet of airships and set fire to the whole land. His goal is to annihilate the Earth Kingdom and its inhabitants."

The group was horrified.

Katara shook her head. "I can't believe this."

Sokka hugged Suki who was petrified by this news. He spoke with disbelief. "I always knew that the Fire Lord was a bad guy but his plan is just pure evil."

Aang shook and looked like he was suddenly in a panic. Fear had come over him. "What am I going to do?"

Zuko stepped over to him and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. "I know you're scared. And I know that you're not ready to save the World. But if you don't defeat the Fire Lord before the comet comes, there won't be a World to save anymore."

Aang shook his head, jerking away from Zuko with terror. "Why didn't you tell me about your Dad's crazy plan sooner?"

I argued. "He didn't think he had to!"

Zuko added, "We assumed that you were still going to fight him before the comet. No one told us you decided to wait!"

Aang grabbed his head in despair and dropped to his knees. "This is bad. This is really, really bad."

Katara stepped over to him to offer him comfort. "Aang, you don't have to do this alone."

I nodded in agreement. "Letting you go in alone was never the plan anyway. We promised you that we would help you defeat the Fire Nation."

Toph nodded. "Yeah. If we all fight the Fire Lord together, we got a shot at taking him down."

Sokka seemed invigorated. "Alright! Team Avatar is back!" He pointed at Aang, "Air." He moved his finger between me and Katara. "Water." He jerked towards Toph. "Earth." He extended both hands towards Zuko with emphasis. "Fire." Then he grabbed two fallen palm leaves and handed one to Suki while holding up a thinner one in his own hand. "Fan... and sword!"

I couldn't help but smile slightly. Katara giggled.

Aang smiled feeling better from the encouragement. "Fighting the Fire Lord is going to be the hardest thing we've ever done together. But I wouldn't want to do it any other way."

The group embraced one another then, every single one of us joining the circle. Although I did have to drag Zuko over. Zuko gave in and joined the group hug. Appa stepped over and pressed his nose to my back, while Momo hopped on Zuko's shoulder.

We could win... if we worked together there was a chance.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.8K 830 28
Fire and Water. Two opposite elements. They can never get along. The Fire and Water Nations have been enemies for a century. So when a teenage Water...
20.9K 683 12
It was one mistake that led (Y/n), a young girl from the Northern water tribe, down a path of twists and turns. After being somewhere she was told no...
255K 7.2K 40
𝐊𝐚𝐢𝐝𝐚 𝐐𝐮𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐨𝐟 𝐈𝐜𝐞 | ʙᴏᴏᴋ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ: ғɪʀᴇ ❝ I'm not that stupid girl you led on before. ❞ ✎ 𝐀𝐯𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐫: 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐋𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐀𝐢𝐫𝐛𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐞...
281K 7K 36
Kya, Sokka's twin, and Kataras's older sister. She holds a cold glare to everyone around her, often being misunderstood. She sensitive but holds a f...