Evermore

By LorenElaine

"Josephine, we need to go right now." He demands, opening the door for me. I glance in and see he's already l... More

Dedication
prologue
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38

Part 4

25 3 0
By LorenElaine

I already have a negative mood heading into work as I know it will be long and tedious. I was set to face to face with a 12-hour shift and I could already feel my feet crying for help, begging not to be cramped in my shoes all day.

I'm lucky Valentina loves babysitting Lilla when I work late. Even though she doesn't live with us anymore, she too developed a bond with Lilla and couldn't resist whenever I ask if she could babysit for me.

Val used to work with me at the pizza shop. We met in school when I was 16 and just entered the system. We had an English project together and she helped me get the job. She's the only person who truly loves me and actually cares about my well-being. Not to mention the fact that she helps me with Lilla voluntarily which is more I can say about anyone else. 

Work passes by surprisingly fast and before I know it the lunch rush is over and I find a couple of hours of downtime before the dinner rush. There are only a few people working today so I help one of my coworkers make some orders. I'm normally the cashier but I do enjoy the simplicity of making pizza. 

It's a routine, a dance. You do all the parts in order and then you set it aside for a couple of minutes and it's done. Easy. I pop in my headphones and bang out a couple of orders, finding a rhythm. 

I'm so into making these pizzas I almost didn't hear the bell ring signaling someone had entered the shop. 

It wants until I saw out of the corner of my eye shuffling coming from the front of the store. 

"I'll be right with you," I shout over the fans, pushing the last pizza into the oven. 

"No rush, darling." His voice sent a chill down my spine. I knew who it was. 

I wipe my hands on my jeans, swallowing my hesitation to see him again. 

"Hi." I greet cheerfully, logging into the computer. 

"Hello, Josephine." My name rolled off his tongue and I froze in my spot. 

"How do you know my name?" I can hear that my voice is shaky but I'm hoping he won't notice. 

He gestured to my chest. "Nametag." 

Relief flooded over me and I felt calmer. 

"How can I help you." I look at him but find myself slightly uncomfortable looking at him directly in his eyes. 

"I wanted to apologize for yesterday," He tilts his head almost forcing me to lock with his emerald orbs. "I should have responded better. I'm flattered that you think you've met me before, I should have just said you were thinking of someone else. I'm sorry."

I'm taken aback by his comment. Never had I expected him to come all this way to apologize. 

"Um, don't worry about it." I feel myself shifting on my feet as a source of comfort. 

"I hope you accept my apology." His voice soft, soothing almost. I feel strangely safe here. Still uncomfortable, but safe. Like I knew his intentions were purely clear. He was just apologizing, like a true gentleman. 

But him coming here does nothing to feed the hunger of curiosity on why I was so attracted to him. It wasn't his looks or his personality as I've only talked to him now twice. There was something about him, and it was pulling me like a magnet. 

"I do," I whisper, almost certain he couldn't hear me. I don't know why I felt the need to reassure him but I knew he needed to hear it. I needed to hear it. 

And besides, he came all this way to apologize to me. It's the least I could do. 

"What are you doing tomorrow?" He asks suddenly. I'm used to being hit on while working but the fact that he is the one hitting on me, I reacted differently. I didn't flinch and my insides didn't curl up. A typical response to comments like that. 

"I have plans, sorry." I wasn't lying. I did have plans, Lilla's bakesale. Not all day but he didn't need to know that. 

"That's too bad. Oh well, have a nice evening, Josephine." My heart rate increased when he said my name. It was the way he said it that made me. 

I have known this man all of 2 days and my body is already responding this way. 

What is going on?  

I know I should be concerned, and even question myself at his actions but I don't. And I cant put my finger on why. All I can think about is his peircing green eyes and the uncanny familiarity I get from him. 

Almost like I know him from a dream.

A dream...

Holy shit, I was dreaming about Felix Caliban

***

I entered the apartment relieved. My feet throbbing with pains I shouldn't be getting at this age. Closing the door behind me, I kick off my sneakers and look across the dimly lit room to see Val and Lilla, curled on the bed asleep.

A smile creeps onto my lips. Walking over to Lil's side, I sweep the golden hair from her face, soft snores falling from her lips. I hear Val stir and eventually wake up, propping herself on her elbow facing me.

"Oh hey, Jose."Her voice still laced with sleep. I can tell she's exhausted and honestly I don't have any strength either. She sits up more, running her hand through her thick black hair. "Sorry, I fell asleep." She scoots closer to the end of the bed, lifting the duvet to make room for me. I crawl next to her, my exhausted body welcoming the thick, warm duvet.

"You should say. I don't want you driving this late." My eyelids grew heavy and I fight to keep them open, eventually giving in and letting them close. My body instantly relaxing.

"I'll come with you tomorrow, to the bake sale." She mumbles and I can hear her shuffling next to me.

Shit, the bake sale. I totally forgot and didn't buy anything to pass off as homemade. Why do kids even have bake sales? 5- What's the point of buying food made by kids, it's not any good anyway.

"We made cupcakes, they're on the counter." I also forgot to mention that Valentina has the uncanny ability to read my mind. I guess that's a perk of being so close to someone. I feel like I've known her my whole life. "Lilla had so much fun making them, even though I told her cookies were much easier. She insisted on double chocolate cupcakes." I can hear by the way she's talking that she is smiling. I also find myself smiling, double chocolate cupcakes are my absolute favorite. And Lilla knows that. She made them for me.

"Thank you again for watching her. She loves you."

"Tell that to the grudge she held against me when I moved out. Remember, she didn't talk to me for a week I had to bribe her with strawberry ice cream." By now we're so sleep-deprived everything is funny and we can't help but fall into a fit of laughter.

The next morning, I slept through my alarm and almost was late to take Lilla to school. When I rolled over and glanced at the clock, it glared 8:13 am.

"Shit!" I fumbled with the covers struggling to free myself from their warm confines. I rush into the kitchen expecting Lilla and Val to be goofing of eating cereal.

"Lil baby, we need to go let's get dressed please." I frantically run my fingers through my hair trying to smooth the sleep from it. I was in no place to sit down and straighten it, we didn't have the time.

"Lilla, please," I call entering the kitchen all but surprised to find Lilla dressed and ready for school, Valentina reading her a story on the couch. I let out a relieved sigh and stumble towards them, putting on my shoes in the process.

"Thank goodness you're ready, we're already running late. C'mon." ushering them off the couch and into the car was quicker than I was originally planning. I'm only hoping this bakesale is quick so I can come back and have a nap before I pick her up again, it's not often I get a day off and I intend on enjoying as much of it as possible. 

The school parking lot and courtyard have been transformed into a fair set up. Booths littered the grass and children screaming and running through. 

Its chaos. And I hate it. 

"Okay, Angel go put these on the table." I hand her the box of cupcakes and she scurried off to the table, stopping to show them off to her friends. 

I like seeing her with her friends. She was such a sad little girl and I'm so happy she grew out of her shell and has friends. I glance over and see Val emerge from the car on her phone. 

I send her a little wave, checking to make sure she's okay. She waves back and I can see her hang up and make her way towards me. 

"Hey." 

"Hi, is everything alright?" Her deminer was anxious and she kept looking around the yard. She was starting to make me nervous. 

"Yea! I have to leave, work called asking if I could cover for someone." I groan. I know she doesn't want to go, but she will. That's just the person she is. 

"Alright, well thanks for your help." I hug her and watch her go over to Lilla, hugging her goodbye. Lilla of course did everything she could to get Val to stay, even gave her a cupcake. 

I have to laugh. They are really close and I'm so thankful she's in our lives. 

I stand back, admiring the kids having fun and the helicopter parents running their show. I don't want to be a single part of that, I'm only here for Lilla.  Patiently, I wait for her to be done playing and have a seat on a bench away from all the drama. 

It's honestly not as bad as I was thinking, despite Val leaving me. 

That was until gunshots rung through the yard and everyone screamed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.8M 881K 55
I glared up at him my eyes narrowed, "Excuse me?" I was beyond livid by the words that just came out of his mouth. My glare didn't falter when Parker...
178K 5.7K 41
I was screaming even louder thinking I was going to die. But then I landed in somebody's arms. I reacted quickly and punched the guy in the face. He...
232K 6.5K 33
FORGIVENESS is the best form of love... it takes a strong person to say SORRY and an even stronger person to FORGIVE... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~...
28 1 11
book one of the "𝚞𝚗𝚍𝚎𝚛𝚠𝚘𝚞𝚕𝚍" series "Take another step and I will kill you," he said pointing his gun at me. I take another step not list...