The Boy Across The Street

By booksandjess

"You can't catch me!" I shouted and started running. He chased after me and soon enough he caught me. Suddenl... More

Author's note
Cast
Chapter 1: Get Your Own Boyfriend
Chapter 2: You Chose Drama Over Lunch
Chapter 3: Headaches are Bad Luck
Chapter 4: His Love for Pizza
Chapter 5: Hey Latecomer
Chapter 6: 'The Epitome of Wisdom'
Chapter 7: Why Do Timetables Have To Be Alterable?!
Chapter 8: All Because of French Fries
Chapter 9:Watch Out For That...Bike?!
Chapter 10: Waterbender
Chapter 11: Who's Having a Bad Day?
Chapter 12: Bad Boy Doesn't Like Frogs
Chapter 13: Seventy Percent
Chapter 14: People Pleaser
Chapter 15: What Did I Ever Do To You?
Chapter 16: There's a First Time for Everything
Chapter 17: Kayra and Vodka? Not a Good Idea
Chapter 18: Damsel in Distress
Chapter 19: Bombshell
Chapter 20: Dinner at the Bradshaws'
Chapter 21: He Plays Basketball?!
Chapter 22: Study Date
Chapter 23:When It Rains,It Pours
Chapter 24: Protector
Chapter 25: Netflix and Chill
Chapter 26: Baby??
Chapter 27: He Doesn't Deserve Your Tears
Chapter 28: Goodbye Gale
Chapter 29: I Gave In To His Eyes
Chapter 30: Who's Going on a Date?
Chapter 31: The Beach
Chapter 32: Are You Two Together?
Chapter 33: He Was Ranting So I Kissed Him
Chapter 34: Mrs Bradshaw
Chapter 36: Third Party
Chapter 37: Fifty Shades of White
Chapter 38:Hurt Her and You're Food for the Sharks
Chapter 39: Wanna Cuddle?
Chapter 40: You Talk In Your Sleep
Chapter 41: Beautiful Disaster
Chapter 42: Tell Me What?
Chapter 43: Lucas
Chapter 44: Homecoming
Chapter 45: Stay Strong For Her
Chapter 46: Dear Mother
Chapter 47: Happy Birthday Kayra
Chapter 48 : As Beautiful as a Diamond
Chapter 49: True Happiness
Author's Note

Chapter 35: My Girlfriend

2.5K 84 31
By booksandjess

When I got home after dropping Stephanie,my mom was home. But she was in her room so I greeted her and went to freshen up and rest for a few minutes. Soon it was time to go over to Jayson's house and I changed out of the tank top and shorts I was wearing to sweatpants and a shirt. I went to my mom's room to inform her incase she's looking for me.

"Hey Mom,I'm going to the Bradshaw's."

"To do what? Have you forgotten you're still grounded?"

"But Mom,it's for my schoolwork. Remember?"

"Alright fine. But be home before it gets dark."

"No problem."

I took my biology textbook and the report book along with the jotter I've been using and left the house.

I rang their doorbell and Jayson's mom opened the front door.

"Hello Kayra right?"

"Yes please."

"Good to see you again. Come in, come in. Jayson is upstairs."

"Thank you", I went in and she offered me some water which I accepted.

Jayson came downstairs a few moments later. He saw me and it felt as if he was uneasy,if it was because I was talking with his mom or not,I don't know.

"Okay mom,we have to go and work on our project now so I'm taking Kayra away."

"You know what son? I like her. Is she your...."she stopped mid-sentence and gave Jayson a knowing look.

"Yes mother,she's my girlfriend",he finished it for her.

I froze for a moment.

He just called me his girlfriend.

"Good son. Great choice. She's way better than Au-", Jayson stopped her so she didn't complete the name.

"Okay, we'll go upstairs now." Then he held my wrist and pulled me behind him.

I just followed him but in my mind,I was screaming. After yesterday, I was wondering what we were, because he didn't ask me to be his girlfriend. He just told me his feelings. Well,I guess that was how he rolled.

But wait,his mom was about to mention a name. I hope it's not what I heard. But if it was even her,why would Jayson's mom mention her name.  How would she even be related to them? No,I don't think it's the Audrey I know. It could have even been another name, maybe Aubrey or Aurelia or something else.

Kay,stop bothering your head with unnecessary thoughts. Right now,you should be trying to recall parts of a frog.

The voice in my head was right. I should stop overthinking and focus on the reason I came here. The presentation was in three days so we had to start wrapping things up and perfecting our work. We had four reports to print as well.

We worked together and fast and we were done in about an hour and thirty minutes. It was getting dark so I had to go home and help my mom set the table.

I said goodbye to Mrs Bradshaw and Jayson walked me to my porch. He pecked me on my cheek before turning and going back to his house.

******

The next day,my parents had both left for work early so I did what I had to do and locked the house before leaving to pick Stephanie up. The ride was somewhat quiet except for the small talk between Stephanie and I when we stopped at the traffic light and the music from the stereo. We got to school in about fifteen minutes and I parked and we got out of the car. As we walking towards the entrance,I saw Jayson,he was walking in our direction. Stephanie saw him so she went in and left me to talk to him.

"Hey",I said

"Hey", I was shocked when he pecked my cheek.

How many people must've seen that?

"You look beautiful by the way."

"Thanks",I muttered and pushed a hair strand behind my ear. I was wearing a floral print dress today instead of my usual jeans and sneakers look.

"You're welcome",he smiled

That smile is going to be the death of me

"Um,we should probably get to class before the bell rings",I said

"Yes yes. Shall we?" He stretched out his hand for me to put mine in and my eyes widened.

When a boy and girl are seen holding hands,it means they're officially together. He already wants the whole school to know? I thought he was the secretive type. Oh well

"Um, sure." I placed my hand in his and he intertwined our fingers. He slung his backpack over his shoulder

I took a deep breath and exhaled, before we entered the school, ready to face all the cameras and gossip.

The first people who saw us gasped and pointed,just as I expected. Eventually,everyone was looking at us and I felt uncomfortable with all that attention. I looked at Jayson and he had his usual demeanor, nonchalant and unbothered as if he was used to it so I also decided to play cool. 

When we got to my locker,he let go of my hand and whispered,"See you later."

I nodded and he smiled.

Immediately he left, Stephanie came running to me.

"Kayra Kayra,is it true?" She squealed

"That Jayson and I are together,yes. Steph,you know already."

"No,is it true you guys walked into the school hand in hand?"

"It has already spread?"

"Yes,it's on the school's blog and some people posted your pictures on their stories with super cute captions."

"Wait,what? I don't like this."

"Oh come on. You know there are some girls dying to be in your place right now because low key,we all know most girls want to date the bad boy."

"But I don't like this popularity",I made air quotes on popularity.

"Well,you can't do anything about it. Come on,let's go to class."

I sighed,closed my locker and made my way to homeroom ignoring the pairs of eyes on me.

*******

For the rest of the day, I kept on receiving notes during class, being stopped me in the hallway when it was change of lesson period, hearing people call my name during lunch all asking me the same question,"Are you and Jayson Bradshaw together?"
Everyone wanted to know whether it was true or not and it was getting annoying. I just ignored most of them and replied to some in the shortest way I could.

Despite all that, school passed really fast and soon enough,the closing bell rang. I had to come back to get something from my locker so Stephanie waited for me at the car.

I got it and closed my locker, just as I was about to leave,I heard someone shout,"Hey!"

So when will this girl learn to leave me alone?

"Yes Audrey,how may I help you?" I said in the calmest way I could ignoring the fact that she shouted.

"How much did you pay Jayson to go out with you?"

"Excuse me,what?!"

"You heard me. How much did you give to him? Because no one in his right senses will never date you."

Okay,who does she think she is?!

"What the hell Audrey? What do you take me for? How many times do I have to drum it into your skull that not everyone is cheap like you to stoop so low? Oh so your jealousy has become so much that you're making accusations now."

"You think anyone believes you and Jayson are together? Oh come on, he's way out of your league and so it's obvious you're doing some underground work to get him to be with you,that's if you haven't charmed him."

I can't believe I'm still listening to this rubbish.

"Oh cut the crap Audrey. Ugh,I'm so disgusted right now. Your mind is so filthy you're now letting out the trash through your words. Charm?" I scoffed, "You're saying I've charmed him? Why? Have you tried it before? Obviously,it didn't work and here you are speaking like you have styrofoam for a brain."

"Don't you dare insult me,you....", someone cut her off

It was Jayson

"What's going on here?" Audrey suddenly went mute.

"Why are you bothering my girlfriend?"

My girlfriend. He said it again

"I'm not bothering her. In fact, I was just leaving. I don't waste my time on people like her."

Oh really. I'm trying hard not to laugh right now.

"Good,it's good you're leaving before I say anything to you."

Note that all this while, people had gathered around and some were even recording.

Audrey let out a grunt and sashayed away.

"And to all of you,yes, Kayra is my girlfriend. Anyone who has anything to say about it can come face me",he turned to the rest of the students.

I just love how he speaks calmly but you can still sense the seriousness in his voice.

He then held my hand and we walked out of the school just as we did in the morning.

********
Please don't forget to vote

Thanks for reading

Love y'all xxx

-Jess💖

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

568K 23.9K 51
I was doing just fine my junior year of high school. I mean I did pick fights once in a while and my grades weren't the best, but I was doing okay. X...
16.7K 2.5K 45
Meet Sophia Williams, a typical good girl with good grades, good looks, and good at almost everything. A girl who hides so many secrets behind that s...
6.9K 57 10
This fan fiction will delve into my favorite 90's television shows. This is also my way of venting about my own parent's disciplinary style when I wa...