Shadows of Ash and Gold

By lilainahinz

Avaryn Alastors life couldn't possibly get any worse. That's what she told herself the second her feet cross... More

Part title
authors note
prologue
Chapter one
Chapter two
chapter three
Chapter four
chapter five
Chapter six
Chapter seven
Chapter eight
Chapter nine
Chapter ten
Chapter eleven
Chapter twelve
Chapter thirteen
Chapter fourteen
Chapter fifteen
Chapter sixteen
Chapter seventeen
Chapter eighteen
Chapter twenty
Chapter twenty- one
Chapter twenty two
Chapter twenty three
Chapter twenty four
This is not a chapter.
Chapter twenty five
Chapter twenty six
Chapter twenty seven
Chapter twenty eight
Chapter twenty nine.
Sneak peak??
Shadows of Blood and Deceit

Chapter nineteen

26.4K 947 2.8K
By lilainahinz

Sormcav, 1872.
Everson.

Everson sat on the edge of a windowsill in the Sormcav castle. Sormcav had always interested him, the buildings were strange, ovaly looking, almost like circus tents. Everson had always been amused by their world, although he didn't mean to. He understood how tragic it was, how ruthlessly cruel their lives were but he couldn't find it in him to care. He hated that part of him, the selfish part, it was his worst flaw. In so many ways.

"I figured you would be out partying not sulking in the library," a gentle, but cheery, female voice said from behind him.

He whirled around to see his sister, he observed her, a smile starting on his face. He hadn't seen her in three years. Her hair was the same platinum blonde, the same as his, except a little shorter now. Her eyes were the same crystal blue as his.

He got up from his seat and pulled her to him, in a tight embrace. "Hey Ny."

She pulled away, keeping him at arm's length She smiled, it was full of brightness, and happiness, something he and Bash had worked so hard to keep there. They protected their sister from the horrids that they've experienced. He envied her. In more ways than one, but he would rather take the pain then inflict it on her. "Hey Ever."

"What took you so long to get here?"

"Long story, it's Octavious' fault."

"He's here?" Ever asked, his emotions dropping. He hoped Nyan didn't notice the drop in his tone.

Nyan's bright eyes narrowed. She somehow could always sense the change in someone's mood. "What's going on between you two?"

Ever swallowed. "What do you mean?"

"Did you guys get into a fight? He got all weird when I mentioned your name earlier."

"I don't want to talk about it." his voice was stern and maybe a little harsh because he saw her flinch a bit. But it wasn't like he could tell her the truth. He could never tell anyone the truth. He could never say the words out loud. If he did, it confirmed what a terrible person he was.

Nyan shook the hurt from her eyes and replaced it with one of her magical bright smiles that just made you want to smile too. It was truly a gift of hers, because he felt his lips inch upwards. "Fine, I just thought it would be nice if we could have one family dinner without any conflict. It's Mara's birthday, so whatever you said to him, Everson, fix it. Please."

"What makes you think I'm the one that said something?" Ever scoffed.

She gave him a pointed look.

"Okay fine so maybe it was me, but he said some mean things back."

"I don't care Ever, we haven't seen each other in three years so please get your head out of your ass and apologize," she demanded then turned on her heels, her big dress brushing with her, and pranced out of the room.

Everson felt happy all the time. He felt happy when he consumed more alcohol than he should, he felt happy when he kissed and screwed random people, he felt happy when he did reckless things that made him forget who he truly was, what he truly wanted. But that happiness only lasted temporarily. It was a temporary distraction that easily got boring.
But this, he thought. This happiness was forever.

Watching Bash and Nyan argue who was cuter as a child, watching Octavious, quiet as he was, laugh and nod along. Watching Mara tell Kaida stories, as she always did, and watch Kaida just listen to her trying not to smile.

This was home. This was where he was meant to be. With these people. Forever.

"So," Bash started, getting everyone's attention, "I have some news."

Ever gasped. "You're pregnant?"

Nyan shushed him with a hand and turned back to Bash, a grin on her face. She stared at him expectantly. Like she knew what he was going to say. What was going on?

"I have an idea. I think there is a way we can all be together again without the demon king finding us," said Bash. All jokes washed from Evers head as he heard those words. They all gaped at Bash, waiting for him to continue. "I have built a school."

Evers eyes narrowed. "A school?"

"Just listen," Nyan hissed.

"It was built on the burial ground of human witches. When a witch dies their magic seals around them, like a shield, so no harm can come to their bodies," said Bash. "no magic can get through it. No seer could find them. No seer could find us."

The air left Evers lungs in an instant. Was Bash saying what he thinks he's saying?

Was he saying that they could ... they could be together? That they wouldn't have to be separated? that the demon King would never find them?

"I have found us a home. A home where we can be safe."

A home.

No.

It couldn't be. Ever thought. His heart weighed and fell into his stomach, he suddenly felt like he couldn't breathe.

It wasn't possible.

If it was true that meant he had to live there. With all of them. And he was grateful for it, he was, but he didn't know if he could live through that type of pain.

His eyes shot forward.

They lingered on Octavious, longer than they usually did. He was still astonishing. He was beyond words. His eyes were brown as ever, with gold flakes running through the center, his hair dark as the night sky, his skin almost as dark and smooth. His lips .. his lush lips. He wondered what they would taste like on his mouth, if he were sweet or bitter. If they were as smooth as they looked.

And this is when he couldn't take it. Couldn't take his own thoughts, couldn't handle the disgust of it.

Ever grabbed the bottle of wine and poured it into his glass until it reached the rim. Nobody paid attention to it. Not even when he reached for the bottle a fourth time, it wasn't because they didn't care, it was because they expected this from him. They expected him to get drunk and reckless, they hated it, deep down, but Ever didn't really care. He was too selfish to care. So he raised the glass to his lips and downed the rest of it.

He fell helplessly against the wall of the music room of the Sormcav castle. He was drunk off his ass and didnt have a care in the world. He thought the others might have gone to bed but not him. He couldn't sleep on nights like this. Or most nights if he were being honest. The hard wall scraped against his back as he slid down it, a bottle of wine in his hand and a drunken smile on his face. His eyes closed gently. His body was light. His head was lost in a sea of nothingness, just as he liked it. He didn't have a care in the world.

He heard a soft clatter, as if someone had tripped, and his eyes shot open. He groaned as he realized the noise made his head pound. "Would you shut up? I'm trying to sleep over here."

"Sleep? On the ground? Don't be foolish Everson."

He recognized the voice immediately and felt his spine straighten. Of course it was him, why did it have to be him? Ever looked up and stared into soft brown eyes. Octavious stared at him, there was no judgement in his eyes, no disappointment, not like when the others saw him in this state.

Perhaps that's why Ever was fond of him, beside all the other reasons, maybe it was because he understood him in a way nobody else did. It was quite funny when you thought about it, the person who can read everyone's mind but his, understands him more than anyone.

But of course Everson couldn't show this, so he smiled foolishly. "Have you come to tuck me in Octavious?" The sarcasm came easy to him and it was perfect for when he wanted to piss people off, when he needed them to hate him.

"You're drunk, Ever, you can't sleep on the floor here, I'll help you to your room."

If only he knew how much that could not happen. If only he knew that was the worst thing he could ever do to him. To help him was one thing, a thing he didn't deserve, but to his room? Ever would rather jump off a forty-foot bridge then let Octavious help him to his room. It was an awful thing to say.

Eversons gaze flicked to the piano behind them, he could see the moonlight reflecting from the window and glimmering on the black instrument. He knew he shouldn't, he knew it would ruin him but he asked anyway. "Will you play?" he asked Octavious, his voice light and quiet, like a broken song floating into the night.

Octavious glanced behind him at the grand piano, then back at Ever. "Will you let me help you for once in your goddamn life?"

Ever smiled. "Deal."

Octavious walked to the piano and sat down softly. He opened the top and set his fingers on the keys, gently as if he were afraid he would break them. He breathed for a good second before a beautiful melody played as he strummed his fingers. Ever didn't know what the song was but he had heard it from Octavious before. It was a song Octavious only played to him.

For him.

He didn't know why, he had never asked. They both knew but silently agreed to never mention it. Ever had started to call it 'my song' in his head. It was his favorite song Octavious played, it was beautiful but heartbreaking, it was tragic, it told a story from start to finish. It was the most lovely thing he had ever heard. It made his heart clench in his chest.

He loved watching Octavious play, The moonlight glowed on him, illuminating his skin, making him look like a god.

It was like he became a new person once he was seated in front of a piano. He became confident, and full of these deep emotions, emotions he never showed anyone. He was much like Everson that way. They shared a deep understanding, a bond that could never be put into words.

They were the same.

Their souls were forever a-lined, Ever knew it, even if Octavious didn't. Though he would never act on this bond, he could never do that to his sister. He would never.

So he would watch from a distance. He would watch and withstand the pain of loving someone he could never have.

Everson closed his eyes and let the pain drown out as he listened to the melody of his song and let the alcohol make him forget.

***

Avaryn.

When I woke up I knew something was wrong. The air wasn't right. The smell wasn't right. Nothing was right. My eyes slowly opened and I stared up at a ceiling full of tapestries. They had all different kinds of symbols on them, misty shadows brewing among the fabric, moons, wolves, fire, it was quite beautiful. I looked around the room. The entirety of the walls were filled with handmade tapestries that looked like they cost a fortune.

From the ceiling hung a black iron chandelier with lit candles all around it. The bed I lied on was filled with decorative pillows and golden sheets and black covers. The fabrics were velvet and silk, and the pillows were filled with tassels. Where was I? But as I thought about the question, I knew.

I knew exactly where I was.

The Shadow realm.

I sucked in a sharp breath trying to slow the beating of my heart. I would not cry. I would not cry. I would not cry. How could I be here? Terror ran through me. What did they want with me? Would they kill me?

I looked around the room.

Two doors sat on the right side of the bed. Those were likely the way out but there was no way in hell they were unlocked. Why would someone give a prisoner freedom? I needed a weapon, something I could fight with or injure someone with.

My gaze drifted among the desks and table tops but they were blank. No. I refused to believe I was helpless.

My eyes landed on a window in the far corner, no it was more than a window it was a door that led to a balcony. Maybe I could jump? But then what? You're in a completely different realm and you have no idea what the portals look like. You're screwed.

I wanted to yell at that stupid voice in my head. I shamed Bash in my head for refusing to teach me to fight. What was it he said? We'll always be around to protect you so there's no need. No need my ass. I was completely weak and helpless.

Even though I had no chance, I got up from the bed and walked over to the balcony. I pulled back the curtains. I gazed out at a city below me. My breath caught in my throat.

Wow.

You know those things you aren't supposed to find beautiful because it's just terribly wrong? Like fire or smoke? Smoke has always been something that I found fascinating even though I'm not supposed to. That was kind of like this. It was a world of shadows, it was terrifying but strangely beautiful.

The sky was a blackish gray charcoal color. I wasn't sure if it was nighttime or if that was the color of the sky here. The city was something else. The majority of the buildings were raven black and pointed shaped, creating a medieval fantasy look, kind of like castles. Or very old gothic churches.

I jumped out of my skin when there was a sudden knock on the door.

I stared at it wide eyed.

Without waiting for my reply the intruder walked in. It was a lovely looking girl. Greer. Why were all the supernaturals overly gorgeous? She had dark hair that flowed aimlessly down her back and dark eyes the color of obsidian. While from a distance her eyes seemed black as she walked closer they were much more gold. they had golden swirls in the middle of them captivating whomever were to look in them too long.

She smiled at the frightened look on my face. Her smile made me feel calm and warm like being comforted by a grandma or something. Don't trust her Ryn, she's a Greer, they're evil. "Hello," she said, her voice calm and proper, "I'm Nisha, you're new handmaiden."

My ... My what now?

I do not speak. I will not speak. I won't ask questions, that will make me be perceived as ignorant. The less i talk the more people doubt themselves, most people who dont talk think it makes them seem stupid or unaware but really it has the opposite affect on people. It makes people question themselves. What is she hiding? Why won't she speak? What does she know?

So instead I lift my chin up and feign strength that I did not have.

"I suppose you're scared and confused," Nisha stated and walked toward me, I took a step back warning her with my gaze to not step any closer. "They won't hurt you. At least I don't think they will."

I didn't say anything.

"Not very talkative?" Still I didn't speak not even when I heard the sarcasm in her voice. "Are you mute or deaf?"

My eyes narrowed.

"You are quite a frustrating brat."

I shrugged, so I've been told. I kept my chin high. "As my handmaiden shouldn't you not speak to me in such a way?"

She smiled at my words, a wicked sort of gleam in her eyes. "I like your spirit, quite the attitude."

"Well it is hard not to have an attitude when you're being held against your will."

Nisha didn't reply to my words or seem startled by my truthfulness; she just sighed and wrinkled her nose. "You should take a bath before you see the king, I'll prepare you after."

I didn't say anything or ask her about her statement. Questions seem ignorant. I must pretend I know exactly why I am here. If not for my safety but because of my own pride. I hated people thinking they were better than me. Smarter than me. And in this situation they were but I still couldn't have it.

I thought of Nisha's words.

I was ... I was going to see the king? What did he want from me? I wasn't anything special. Did he know of my heritage? Did he want to kill me and take my abilities? Greer believed when they kill Devara they take their power. That is why the shadow king hunted the royal Devara's all those years ago.

"Your washroom is through that door." Nisha pointed to a big door across from the desk. "Your closet is also through there."

"My closet?"

No questions Avaryn.

"Yes, closet, all your outfits and dresses are in there," Nisha said with satisfaction in her voice. She seemed to be proud of the closet and its contents. "Now go. The king doesn't like to be kept waiting."

The castle was giant. Nisha led me through many halls, left and right, it was like a maze. But I got the distinct feeling she was doing it on purpose. She was making me go around in circles trying to make me confused. She probably had orders to do so, to run me around the castle so I could never find my way out. Well I wasn't foolish. I could count and had phenomenal memory, honestly it didn't even bother me that much. I liked puzzles.

The castle was very ... ominous. Eerie. It was cold, unwelcoming. It was nothing like the castle in Elysian. The walls were stone covered in scary looking tapestries. Though this castle was probably hundreds of years old it was also very modern, there were iron chandeliers hanging from the ceilings, marble floors, giant windows.

After I took a bath Nisha tried to dress me in in a dark gray silky dress. No matter how much she tried to get me to put it on I refused. I would not wear a dress. Especially since she said the king requested that I looked good. Ha! He may be a king but he is not mine, I am a captor not some mistress to be paraded around. So we settled on a dark blue top with lace on the front and black pants.

Alas, we stopped in front of a set of double doors with two sets of soldiers in front of them. Nisha smiled at the one who had dark brown eyes and auburn hair. A blush formed on his face before he nodded to the other guards and they opened the doors.

The throne room was big. The wall before the thrones was made of glass, the ceiling hung at least thirty feet in the air and the stone floor was made up of onyx.

Three people sat among the three thrones.
My heart lurched into my throat. I could do this. I could do this. They weren't going to hurt me. Nisha said they wouldn't hurt me.
The king was in the middle and Roz and Raiden were at his sides. The king looked the opposite of them. While their skin was a soft brown, the king's was a pale white color, making him look dead, like a wraith. Their hair was curly whilst the kings was straight and white blonde, the color of Raiden's hair.

The shadow king observed me, looking me all over, up and down, never missing an inch of my body. It made my skin crawl.

Then his gaze shifted to Nisha.

"What is this?" his voice sent shivers of fear down my spine. From the way he talked you could tell he was powerful, he was dangerous, the most dangerous Greer of all.

"She-she refused to wear a dress, your majesty," Nisha stuttered, her head turned to the floor.

It accrued to me then that the king might have ordered Nisha to put me in a dress, that she might actually get punished for my own stupid prideful decsions.

The king said nothing for several moments. I refused to look at Roz or Raiden even as I felt their eyes on me. I hated them. So I would not give them the satisfaction of the fear in my gaze.

"Very well," said the king. "You are dismissed."

Nisha bowed before she hurried through the doors. Now the king's full attention was on me. Great. "What is your name?" He asked. I was almost positive he already knew my name or else I wouldn't be here at all. Maybe he knew more about me than I did. Maybe he even knew my birth mother.

It is not smart to remain silent in front of him. "Avaryn Alastor." My voice didn't tremble even though everything within me was shaking.

"Do you know why you're here?"

I smiled through the panic. "My astonishing personality?"

The king's face dropped at my sarcastic statement. Shit. I needed to stop using sarcasm as my default to difficult situations.the king said nothing for a few seconds. And then he laughed. He laughed. A cruel cold hearted bastard who killed my best friend's parents laughed. After he stopped his dark eyes grew hard, cruel, more than they were before."You're very special to me Avaryn."

Um .. gag.

I said nothing.

"Do you know why?"

I shook my head slowly.

"Answer with words," he commanded in a voice that made me jump. It was less of a command and more of a threat.

"No."

He smiled, pleased with the fear in my voice. "Do you know what you are?"

You can't lie to him. He'll know. You have to be smart about this. You have to give him the truth. "I'm half Devara, half human."

The king chuckled, like he knew something I didn't, like what i just said was absurd and ... and not the truth. Like I was ignorant.

"Did your Devara friends tell you nothing?" the king asked in mockery.

I would not ask him what he meant. I wouldn't, no matter how much I wanted to.
The king smiled and it was ugly, and cruel. "There is no human in you."

I narrowed my eyes. "No, I-"

"You are not half human. You're half Greer."

I took a step back from ... from nothing, I just didn't know how to handle what he just said to me.

There wasn't any way.

I was not a Greer! Greer were evil and-and- ... the stealing. The pull to danger that I always felt.

No! No! I wouldn't believe him.

He was just playing with me. The only reason he wanted me was because I was the only one who could wield the Vad. That was the only reason.

"I suppose you know about the Vad?"

I nodded warily and then remembered earlier when I didn't answer him with words. "Yes."

"Do you know that you are the only one who can wield it?"

I swallowed. "Yes."

"And you do not wonder why you are the only one who can use a weapon that is made up of light and dark?"

"I-" I hadn't thought about it. Why hadn't I thought about it? I can always figure something out when I think about it. Anger brewed in me. I was angry because his words made sense. they made so much sense and I hadn't even thought about it.

I couldn't be a Greer.

I-I ... I don't want to be a Greer! What will the others say? They hated Greer, would they hate me? Would the only people to ever feel like my family hate me?

The king smirked at my broken face and I saw satisfaction fill his dark eyes. I glared at him, with my eyes I told him I would not trust him. I never would. I would never tell him anything and I would never use The Vad. "That is all for now, Raiden will take you back to your rooms."

My rooms? Don't you mean my cell bastard? Is what i wanted to say. I wanted to go home to Crestwood and I didnt think if I asked he would oblige so I simply nodded my head. Raiden rose from his throne, he wore his typical black soldier uniform. What was missing were the swords that were normally on his back and the knives that were strapped to his chest. No weapons around his father then? I don't suppose there's history behind that? Or maybe his awful father was paranoid and didn't even trust his children not to kill him?

I followed Raiden out of the doors. I let out a long breath as we finally left that horrid room. Raiden held out his hand to me with a wolfish grin on his face. "I can walk myself," I snapped. And moved ahead of him leaving him behind he caught up to me in less than a second.

"Lies lies lies, my dear thief," he stated with a wicked gleam in his dark eyes. "I thought you Devara's were supposed to be good?"

"Don't call me that."

His stupid psychotic smirk widened. "Devara or thief?"

"Thief you imbecile!" I snarled, he angered me more than anything else.

"Now who's the one calling names?"

Just a couple more corridors and I would be back in my make believe room, I would be rid of this asshole.

"It's not nice to ignore people, little thief."

I stopped in my tracks. I turned towards him for the first time, he stood at least a foot taller than me, his eyes darker than his soul, his hair as white as snow. He was frustratingly beautiful.

Raiden was a cruel, witty, gorgeous, psychotic boy and I wanted to throat punch him.

I thought back to him stabbing Everson without care, him kidnapping me. "I hate you," I growled but I doubt it meant anything to him.

He smiled more and I knew it was meant to piss me off, he liked seeing me angry. "The feeling is not mutual."

"Really?" I pressed because I knew he was lying.

"Really."

"You do know I'm Devara right? I saw the way you looked at my friends and I felt your emotions once if you recall, I felt your hatred for them, I know you would've killed them without a second glance. Why do you hate devara so much?" I mocked. I'd never seen him show emotion except for that one time so that meant it was valuable, personal. And I used it against him. I never knew I could be so mean.

I pushed him too far. I knew it the moment his smile dropped from his face and everything he was before, witty, sarcastic, mocking was gone from his expression with not an ounce of it left behind. Anger, clear as day shown in his eyes. Emotion showed in his eyes and though it was anger it was the only feeling I'd ever seen from him. The way he breathed and moved was calm but behind that was an impeccable rage. He was terrifying. "I think it's time for you to go back to your room."

"I agree."

Raiden didn't bother to lead me around in circles like Nisha did, we hadn't spoken the whole way here and i was thankful for it. I didn't think I could speak to him much longer without completely losing my mind.

He turned to me as we reached the doors. In a calm and collected voice that had no humor in it whatsoever he said, "I suggest you wear a dress the next time you see the king."

He referred to him as the king and not his father?

"I'd rather chew off my own arm."

"Your humor is charming until it isn't, Avaryn," he stated with narrowed eyes. My name sounded weird coming from his mouth.

"I could say the same for you, Raiden." I walked through the doors without giving him a second glance. The last thing I heard was the sound of him locking my doors.

•••

Heyyy, I hope you all have a wonderful day!

How do y'all like eversons POV?

Tell me who you ship 🏃🏻‍♀️

If I'm being honest I have no idea who is gonna end up with who so I guess we'll see.

Also to clarify something for the people who think Raiden and avaryn are going to be siblings.

Girl why would I put so much sexual tension between them only to make them siblings??? I'm not Cassie Clare 🏃🏻‍♀️🤚

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

127K 15K 44
Powerful deity Isla Develler is cursed and goes to the other side of the world for a solution, where she encounters more trouble than she imagined, a...
746 236 17
"'I tell the stars about you' Ashlynn broke the silence after they had both been staring at the sky for an ungodly amount of time." Nothing has ever...
821 48 82
"You wish, Ea. I surmount you in all things," I wink, then whisper. "Bottom." Ea chuckles dryly. "We'll see, Viviendel, what you call me later." -*-*...
1K 53 12
Essairyn had never felt truly alive on Earth. It felt like something was missing ever since she was born, but even after twenty years of mundane livi...