Sunsets and Constellations |...

By Mchxcake_007

Elijah has been sent to Stonewall Academy following an incident at his former school. He's easily distracted... More

P R O L O G U E
A E S T H E T I C S
• O N E •
• T W O •
• T H R E E •
• F O U R •
• F I V E •
• S I X •
• S E V E N •
• E I G H T •
• N I N E •
• T E N •
• E L E V E N •
• T W E L V E •
• T H I R T E E N •
• F O U R T E E N •
• F I F T E E N •
• S I X T E E N •
• E I G H T E E N •
• N I N E T E E N •
• T W E N T Y •
• T W E N T Y O N E •
• T W E N T Y T W O •
• T W E N T Y T H R E E •
• T W E N T Y F O U R •
• T W E N T Y F I V E •
• T W E N T Y S I X •
• T W E N T Y S E V E N •
• T W E N T Y E I G H T •
• T W E N T Y N I N E •
• T H I R T Y •
• T H I R T Y O N E •
• T H I R T Y T W O •

• S E V E N T E E N •

631 43 10
By Mchxcake_007

^ That's Abby, if anyone was wondering.

- - -

E L I J A H

"Friedrich Nietzsche and his fondness for aphorism definitely sets him apart from all of the greats in philosophy, he had a unique style of putting forth his ideas, and was frankly one of the most unconventional thinkers. What do you boys and girls think?" Mr.Rufus asked his class, flicking through the pages in his book.

"Him being unconventional wasn't a good thing though sir. Too many of his arguments are riddled with the 'ad-hominem' approach and most of his works remain controversial." Elijah stated, confident in his answer.

"The point is, that he thought differently, and I would even go on to say that he has made quite a few head turning, mind boggling cases." Arius shot back swiftly, from his place next to him.

"Yeah right, head turning and mind bogging in the sense that definitely wasn't pleasant to anybody."

"You're forgetting the point that Stalin, Hitler and Mussolini were fervent readers of his writings." Arius said, emphasising his point by raising his eyebrows ever so slightly.

"Exactly! How do you not see something wrong with whatever he's written? Stalin, Mussolini and Hitler were dictators and terrible men the last time I checked." Elijah said, exasperated at the brown haired boy.

"I never said that he was a good man, what I'm stressing on is that he was influential in some way, and that automatically places him with all the others, regardless of his views. Whether you like it or not, his name's right up there with Descartes, Kant, Erasmus and many others." Arius threw his hands up in the air.

"Name one good thing that he's actually written."

"The Gay Science was an eye opening work for many. He also shed light on Slave Morality. There you go, I've given you one more than you've asked for."

Elijah begrudgingly agreed, he had completely forgotten about those works and hated that Arius had won over him this time.

The whole class was filled with a new, electric zeal for philosophy and the likes of it. Mr.Rufus was impressed with their little back and forth and encouraged more of that to happen as often as possible.
The fact that majority of the class agreed with him comforted Elijah but that didn't mean Arius was wrong and that sucked.

"Alright, tonight, you'll be writing a mock thesis based on your understanding of metaphysics, I'm really looking forward to what you have to offer. You can do whatever you want for the rest of the period." Mr.Rufus said, sitting down on his chair and relaxing.

There were hardly twenty students in the class so it wasn't a big deal even if they made a lot of noise. There was a crowd around this boy and girl Elijah didn't know the names of, and they were arm wrestling. Then there was another boy who was always sleeping.

"So you've read The Gay Science huh?" Elijah asked almost timidly, turning back to Arius who was leaning back in his seat casually.

He sat upright immediately and looked at Elijah before he answered.

"Yeah I have, got a problem with that?" He asked, his defensive tone very similar to the one he'd heard from Abby.

"Not at all. So you're cool with gay people, asexual people and stuff?" Elijah dared to push the conversation.

This time, Arius looked like someone had thrown a bucket of melting ice in his face.

"I-uh, no I don't care, it's cool."

And Elijah left it at that, somewhat satisfied with the answer. Now even if he told Arius in the future that he was gay, he wouldn't behave any differently. But he found it really weird that Arius had started to get fidgety and uncomfortable after he'd asked the question.
Did he somehow figure out Elijah was gay in fact? That book was called "The Gay Science" after all.
What if you could spot or smell the gay from a mile away?
It was Elijah's turn to grow increasingly paranoid about the predicament he was in right now. He got up and picked up his backpack, wearing his blazer that was lying on his table.

"I'm leaving, since we're done with this." He informed the bored looking boy.

"Can I come with? I haven't anything to do here anyway. School's going to end in forty five minutes, we could grab an early snack." Arius said, looking up at Elijah expectantly.

Thank fuck, Arius didn't know.
And he was willing to hang out with him, all of his own accord, it was an early Christmas miracle.
Elijah's heart was a traitorous, son-of-a-bitch. One of these days, he'd have to Arius-proof it up so it wouldn't suddenly speed up like that at the simplest gestures.

They informed Mr.Rufus who nodded at them and reminded them of their assignment before stepping out of the class. As they were walking downstairs, Arius cursed under his breath and grabbed Elijah's elbow, tugging him behind the wall of the staircase and leaning against him as he peeked around the wall. His hair brushed Elijah's face and tickled his nose.
Their position wasn't doing Elijah's mind any good, it felt like all his senses were in overdrive and everything was fucking unreal.

Arius was going to be the death of Elijah.

Elijah opened his mouth to ask him what they were doing when Arius just stepped closer to him and tightened his grip, shaking his head in warning.

Did Arius want him to fucking drop dead on the spot?

"Arius? Where have you been all day?" Elijah heard a chipper voice as he heard a set of footsteps bounding up the stairs.

Arius just sighed dropping Elijah's elbow. He let out a string of curse words as he moved back into sight, Elijah following close.

"Hi Megan, yes I've been busy."

"Busy for me? You know if I were you, I'd definitely tap this. All you have to do is call me." She said seductively, tilting her head and twirling her finger in her wavy hair.

"No Megan, thank you. Let's go Elijah, we've places to be." Arius said, side-stepping the petite brunette who was now clearly annoyed.

She had the audacity to pull him back by his backpack and spin him around while she whispered into his ear.
Elijah shuddered as he heard something along the lines of "Mr.Sexypants".

Arius looked at Elijah pleadingly. And of course, Elijah caved at the look on the grey-eyed boy's face.

"He'll talk to you later, we've got to go, I really need help with my math homework." He said, smiling at the brunette, as he gently guided Arius away from the girl, pulling him by the shoulder.

"Yeah, okay. Whatever." Megan said, rolling her eyes and walking away before she stopped in her tracks and looked back.

"You're the one that was staring me down during English class right? Are you jealous that I have the hots for him and not you?" She yelled, and Elijah was thankful that the corridor was empty.

"God, fuck no! I wasn't staring at you, Baker got it wrong." Elijah said, after which he turned around, grabbed Arius's arm and ran the fuck out of the building. He was a pro at running away from problems, quite literally too.

They slowed down only after they came out of the block panting, laughing at each other for no reason in particular. It was the first time he'd heard Arius laugh and it was like music to his ears.

"Man, she's annoying." Elijah huffed, straightening up and walking across the patch of grass toward the dining hall as he ignored the urge to grab the other boy's neck and kiss him senseless.

"Tell me about it." Arius rolled his eyes, jogging to catch up with him.

"If you weren't looking at her, who were you looking at?" Arius asked, a hint of curiousity in his otherwise-monotonous voice.

"I don't even know! But I wasn't looking at her for sure." Elijah lied through his teeth.

"Liar, I knew you were looking. I just didn't look back." Arius said, smiling slightly.

"I mean, I was just glancing at everybody and then I noticed that your hair was so curly compared to the night of the assembly, so I just glanced a little longer and Baker caught me out on it." Elijah said, trying to make it seem like it wasn't a big deal.

"Why did you yell so loudly that night anyway?" Arius asked, as they reached the hall.

"Something stung me man, I think it was an ant or something." Elijah mumbled.

"An ant? Fuck off." Arius laughed.

"Shut up, it stung pretty bad, and I totally wasn't expecting it. Also, I was bored to death."

Arius nodded as he smiled up at the cook.

"Hey Mr.Bruce, I was wondering if I could catch an early snack today? I really don't like the crowd." He said, leaning against the counter.

"Why not? How was you day boy?"

"It was pretty basic, nothing extraordinary. And yours?"

"Been cooking up a storm today, Delavere requested mashed potatoes and string cheese with garlic for dinner." Bruce said.

"Who's your friend?" He smiled at Elijah.

"Hi! I'm Elijah, I came in late one night, I don't think you remember, but you handed me a burger and fries for dinner." Elijah said.

"Ah yes, you came in shivering and mumbling, kindly boy. There you go!" He replied, handing over two glazed Donuts and two cups of coffee.

"Thank you Mr.Bruce!" Arius said.

Arius had been smiling an awful lot today and as much as it made Elijah swoon, he found it weird too.
Today had been a good day all in all, Arius had willingly grabbed a snack with him and was so smile-y.
Oh and he didn't care if people were gay.

They were friends, somewhat.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"He grabbed a snack with you? That is so not like the broody version I know." Ryder said, as they walked to lunch together.

Tirzah had taken a sick leave as she was down with a slight fever due to the chilly weather. Jake was probably already with the rest of them as he and Viggo hung out quite a lot these days.

They walked to their tables after grabbing their trays and set them down. Elijah was crammed in between Arius and Ryder.

"Hey Arius." he greeted the boy.

"Hi." He replied without looking up.

Viggo looked at him warily and shook his head disapprovingly.

"What's wrong man?" Elijah asked, sensing the weird tension around Arius. The boy was mad about something.

No reply.

"Are you okay?" He pressed again, receiving only a glare in return.

"I'm here to listen if you want to talk about it." He offered softly.

They all fell into casual conversation after that, with Elijah throwing furtive glances at Arius every now and then, wondering what had put him in such a sour mood.

He nudged him again, bending his head to get a good look at his face.

"Seriously man, what's wrong?" He asked.

"Leave me the fuck alone! You just don't know when to stop do you? Stop acting like you fucking care, just because we got a snack together without the others doesn't mean we're friends or that I have to tell you everything that goes on in my head. Don't fucking talk to me again, just stay away.
Seriously, stay the fuck away." Arius said all in one breath, as he stood up and walked away from them all, leaving all of them to look at Elijah pitifully.

It was the most Arius had ever said to Elijah and it wasn't in good taste. His tone was menacing and cold, slicing through Elijah's brain like a studded knife and twisting it inside.

It was an understatement to say that Elijah felt humiliated and hurt. He had really thought they were friends after yesterday and now Arius had sprung it on him like it meant nothing.

But it meant everything, to Elijah atleast. He'd made friends with the boy who really didn't talk to anybody all that much. He'd laughed with the boy who made his heart soar and his stomach flutter.

The look of pure hatred and irritation in Arius's eyes as he had glared at him was enough to convince Elijah that he didn't want anything to do with him.
And Elijah wouldn't force his way into someone's life if they didn't want him there.

He was done, he was so fucking done with Arius's confusing behaviour, always switching in between hot and cold, and now this bullshit.
He felt his chest clench painfully as he struggled to take a bite of the noodles wrapped around his fork. All his appetite was lost.

"I'm so sorry he gets like that Elijah, he really doesn't mea-" Viggo started.

"No, no I get it. I shouldn't have pried that much. And he meant it, most definitely. But it's all good." He interrupted without looking up from his food.

He was grateful to Jake when he asked Viggo if he wanted to go with him to the dorm to collect his History books. Jake squeezed Elijah's shoulder as he passed him.
Ryder was looking at him in shock and disappointment.

"He's such a fucking arsehole man. I- Elijah, just don't hang around him. You had to fall for him out of all the boys in school didn't you?" She said, clearly pissed off.

"It's okay Ry, I don't know why I convinced myself that we were friends. I'm so confused right now." He said.

Ryder's expression softened as she rubbed his back comfortingly.

"You'll be okay, don't dwell on it. Do you want to go check up on Tirzah?" Ryder said.

"If it makes you feel any better, I think if we told Tirzah about it, she'd probably pound his face into his skull. What do you say?" She said, trying to lighten him up.

The boy tried to smile, failing miserably. His usual, million dollar smile was replaced with a tight lipped stale excuse.

So much for thinking he was friends with Arius huh?

It was bound to happen anyway, Arius was too volatile and unstable, extremely unpredictable and fragile, by the looks of it.
The complete opposite of what Elijah embodied.

That night before he went to sleep, Elijah couldn't help but replay the whole ordeal in his mind while Ryder kept looking up at him from the book she was reading cautiously.

"He really fucking messed up this time Elijah, you'd better stay the fuck away from him, he's so fucking rude." Ryder said, voice low.

"I don't know Ry, did I do something wrong? I just- never mind." Elijah wondered aloud.

"No, you were fucking concerned, that's all. Please don't blame yourself for how he treated you, it's his fucking problem."

Elijah nodded at her unconvincingly, burying himself under the mound of blankets he'd made for himself.
He felt unreasonably small.
Arius really didn't like him, not one bit.

The hatred in his eyes had burnt a hole through Elijah's chest and he could physically feel the pain he'd felt back in the dining hall during lunch.
But a small part of him remembered the laughing, care-free face of the other boy and he knew, he fucking knew somewhere deep inside that Arius wasn't faking it that day.

That was damn near impossible.
Or was it?

_________________________________________

A/N

If you like what you read, do vote and leave a comment if you feel like it.
Thank you for reading.
Much Love XD. Thank You!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

486K 15.2K 28
One was a nerdy chess player. The other was an outspoken jock. But they both had a secret. A secret they unknowingly shared. Until one day it came o...
253K 7.2K 20
Before I knew it my shirt was torn away from my torso and tossed on the floor, Charlie's doing the same. Our kiss intensified and I felt him groan ag...
100K 7.9K 64
Book 1 in the Magia Series --------------- Eli has lived in a mundane realm for 18 years. On his 18th birthday after a freak accident and his home go...
617K 21.7K 30
"Wait, you're gay?" I asked in confusion, scratching the back of my head. "Well duh. How oblivious are you?" "Well, I guess I'm pretty dumb, but my...