How They Got Away With Murder...

By ElizaMae0

Karmen Athans got her heart broken by the charming Frank Delfino after he left her with his secret exposed to... More

Preface
Chapter One-Part One
Chapter Two-Part One
Chapter Two-Part Two
Chapter Three-Part One
Chapter Three-Part Two
Chapter Four-Part One
Chapter Four-Part Two
Chapter Five-Part One
Chapter Five-Part Two
Chapter Six-Part One
Chapter Six-Part Two
Chapter Seven-Part One
Chapter Seven-Part Two
Chapter Eight-Part One
Chapter Eight-Part Two
Chapter Nine-Part One
Chapter Nine-Part Two
Chapter Ten-Part One
Chapter Ten-Part Two
Chapter Eleven-Part One
Chapter Eleven-Part Two
Chapter Twelve-Part One
Chapter Twelve-Part Two
Chapter Thirteen-Part One
Chapter Thirteen-Part Two
Chapter Fourteen-Part One
Chapter Fourteen-Part Two
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Epilogue

Chapter One-Part Two

515 17 0
By ElizaMae0

      Alyssa sat through class on the second day, her having already presented her case, which got rejected by Annalise. So did everyone else's so far. Even Laurel, who entered class dramatically and late with a brand new idea. What gave her nostalgia was when Wes was the last to go. She hoped his answer was better this time.

      "Research shows hearing from family and friends is the most effective tactic to evade deportation. Knowing this, I talked to about a dozen of Karim's friends, neighbors, and even his imam at the mosque, and they all agreed to testify as character witnesses."

      She could practically hear Annalise's sigh of relief.

      "Finally, a practical strategy we can use in court. Mr. Gibbins, you are first chair. Mr. Drake, you're his second. The rest of you, do better."

      Alyssa's lips quirked upwards as she heard Asher's 'dammit' from three rows up.

      Class dismissed after that, and the group, besides Wes, walked out together. They all complained about class, and Asher especially whined about Drake. While they conversed, she noticed Karmen's far away look. She was about to question if the blonde was alright when Michaela muttered,

      "Oh my God."

      The rest of them stopped to see what Michaela had. A gasp escaped Alyssa's lips. Covering the billboards outside of the university was the picture of Annalise with the word 'killer' underneath.

      Connor clicked his tongue. "Wow."

      "Why are you always stalking me?" 

      Alyssa's head snapped towards Annalise, who had a frown on her face as she approached the students.

      "I would say it's not all about you, but..." Karmen snarked, pointing towards the posters.

      Annalise simply blinked. "At least they chose a good photo."

      She turned on her heel and walked away, leaving the group speechless once more. After a minute, Alyssa asked,

      "Did that just happen?" 

      Connor slung his arm around her shoulders. "It sure did."

      "She's out of her mind." Karmen hissed.

      Michaela scowled, her glare never breaking from Annalise's retreating figure. "Damn right she is."

      "How is she not freaking out?" Laurel asked, her own voice filled with concern.

      "Maybe she wants us to go to jail." Karmen shrugged sarcastically. She then said, "Well, I'm leaving. See you guys later."

      Alyssa and the others bid her goodbye. 

      "You ready to go?" Connor asked her, and she nodded.

      "Yeah. I'd rather be anywhere but here." She glanced uneasily at the posters before walking away with Connor. 

      After a minute, he grabbed her hand. "Are you okay?"

      She paused, heaving a sigh. "I'm not sure. Do you think someone knows?"

      He shook his head slowly. "I have no idea. I'm sure it'll be fine." He told her, and she did her best to smile.

      "You're probably right. Everything's fine." She reached up, planting a kiss on his lips. As she shared a delicate moment with the love of her life, a single word popped into her mind.

      Liar.

~~~~~

      Karmen lounged on Alyssa's couch, her computer rested on her lap. The murder group were all gathered around snacking, drinking, and working on the case.

      "Who wants another mojito?" Connor questioned. Michaela and Asher immediately agreed, and she hesitated.

      "I don't know if I should."

      "Ooh, because you're pregnant with Frank's baby?" Michaela teased, and she rolled her eyes.

      "Definitely not. You know what, just hand it over." She outstretched her hand, and Connor placed a cold drink in it.

      Alyssa raised her half-full glass. "Here's to hoping we don't get thrown in jail this year."

      The others copied her action. "Cheers."

      Karmen wasn't sure how, but the conversation got directed to significant others.

      "So...anyone else in a relationship, besides Wes?" 

      When Karmen had heard that Wes got a girlfriend that wasn't Laurel, she was shocked. The girl, Meggy, also seemed very nice and bubbly from the five minutes she had known her.

      "Not me. Ask Karmen, she's single now." Michaela said.

      She clicked her tongue. "Michaela, the fact that you have brought Frank up twice now makes me think you were interested in him."

      The ravenette playfully glared at her.

      "You still haven't heard from Frank?" Asher inquired, and Karmen shook her head.

      "Nope." She lied. She hadn't told a single soul about the time he answered his phone, not even Alyssa. She thought maybe it'd be safer that way.

      "I bet he's living in South America, just off the fat of the land, whacking bush. God, I miss that beard." Asher chuckled lightly.

      Karmen ran a hand through her hair. "Me too." She whispered before sipping her drink. The room fell silent, and when she realized it was because of her, she waved her hand.

      "Please, don't get quiet on my account. I'm moving on. We all are."

      "Let's talk about this case." Alyssa changed the subject, and she shot the brunette a grateful look. The students moved on from her sad life and discussed the case for a good ten minutes before Wes stood.

      "I should go."

      Asher cooed, "Going to get it on with Meggy Weggy?"

      "That's not her actual name, right?" Michaela wondered aloud. "It's Megan or Margaret."

      Wes said something, but it was drowned out by Michaela questioning the name 'Meggy' even further while Asher laughed. Karmen forced a smile on her own face. She felt optimistic, being around her friends. It made her feel like she could go back to how she were before.

      Like she could be happy again.

~~~~~

      The following day was her first day in court in months. It was a different courthouse than the one she was used to, but a court nonetheless. She glanced around the halls, not stopping in her path to the room where Wes would get to play lawyer for the day. She had a feeling it would end up a disaster. She entered the room and slipped into the seat next to Alyssa. Both her and Connor greeted the blonde.

      "Ready to see this trainwreck?" Connor mumbled to her, and she nodded. It wasn't long after that when the room was full and Wes was making his opening statement.

      "Karim Assaf is a good man. He's a dedicated father, a kind neighbor. He steps up when help is needed."

      "This is so corny." Connor whispered.

      "Poor Karim." Asher added on, along with Alyssa, her tone pitiful,

      "Poor Karim's kids."

      "He is a leader in his community. But you don't have to take my word for it. Take theirs." Wes motioned towards the people in the court that were ready to advocate for Karim.

      "The fifteen people who've come to attest to the upstanding character of my client."

      Asher crossed his arms, mumbling, "Okay, he's kind of killing it."

      "Each person you see here has their own story of his selflessness, generosity, good citizenship, and above all, his integrity."

      As Wes continued his speech, the doors to the courtroom burst open and in stormed a determined Michaela. Karmen tsked.

      "She's so predictable."

      Whatever Michaela found out was good enough for a break to be called so that the group could meet in the hallway to discuss. Pratt dove into an explanation almost immediately.

      "I was thinking about the drug charge, how if we could prove Karim's public defender provided ineffective assistance of counsel—"

      "Hey, that was my idea." Asher intervened, sounding offended.

      "Except you didn't go to the public defender to record him saying this." Michaela spat, holding up her phone. Her voice came through not a second later.

      "Did you or did you not tell your client that pleading guilty would cost him his green card?"

      "I'm saying I don't know!" 

      The recording stopped, and Michaela went on,

      "He doesn't remember. But Padilla v. Kentucky says defense attorneys must advise clients about risks of deportation when pleading guilty."

      "Mr. Drake you're out." Annalise started off by saying. The kid balked.

      "What?" Karmen smirked at the look on his face. How she wanted to laugh.

      "Ms. Pratt just turned this case on its head. Bonnie, you take my place. Ms. Athans, with me." She masked her face in stone, hoping that nobody caught the question in her eyes. Why would Annalise want to take her?

      "You two, stall." Annalise ordered before marching off, Karmen on her tail. They made it to an office where a man, his face already contorted in stress, sat with files all around him. Annalise played the recording right after they greeted each other. When it was done, Annalise said,

      "Sign the motion to vacate, and I'll be out of your hair."

      "He said 'I don't know'. That doesn't mean he didn't tell your client." The man shook his head.

      "It also doesn't mean he did." Karmen argued, a false smile plastered on her face.

      "I need my boss to sign off on it, and let's face it Annalise, he's not about to help you after all the crap you put us through this year."

      Annalise inhaled deeply before starting off into a rant. Karmen zoned out accidentally, her mind wandering to court. How were Michaela and Wes holding up?

      "This is what we'll do. Drop the original charge to possession only. You get your guilty plea, but it's a misdemeanor now. That way, my client has a chance of remaining with his family. Everyone wins."

      And just like that, Annalise Keating got what she wanted.

~~~~~

      The two women raced back to the courthouse, throwing the doors open and entering dramatically.

      "Your Honor, I have a new plea to present to the court." Annalise declared, holding up the file. The judge waved her hand.

      "Approach."

      Karmen slipped into a seat as Annalise explained,

      "This reduces Mr. Assaf's felony to a misdemeanor, which makes him eligible to remain in the country. I move for his immediate release."

      As she handed the paper over to the judge, the prosecutor argued,

      "Your Honor, Mr. Assaf pled guilty to this charge months ago."

      "Let's take a recess and I'll give my decision after." The judge banged her gavel, signaling the start of the break. Karmen leaned back in her chair, glancing towards her professor. She was still confused as to why Annalise took her with. Maybe she was reading too much into it. Or maybe Keating wanted her trust again?

      "You alright?"

      She looked at Alyssa and shrugged.

      "I'm just confused. I'll explain later."

      The brunette nodded, and they sat in silence until court reconvened. 

      "We are back on the record in the deportation proceeding of Karim Assaf." The judge stated, then looked directly at the defendant. "Mr. Assaf, it troubles me deeply that you pled guilty to a distribution charge you are now saying you did not commit. Can you tell why you did this?"

      "I hoped it would minimize the chances of me getting deported." Karim lied. The truth was the drugs were his daughter's.

      "So you lied under oath?"

      Annalise rose from her seat. "Your Honor I think you should stick to the law."

      "Yes," Mr. Assaf intervened, "and I am sorry for that."

      "Mr. Assaf, this admission calls into question your integrity as well as everything positive that was said about you in this courtroom today. And therefore come to the conclusion that despite the excessive community support shown here..." she trailed off, and Karmen fidgeted in anticipation.

      "I'm going to order your deportation."

      Her heart sunk in her chest. Michaela and Wes immediately refuted, and when that didn't work, many people in the courtroom stood up and began to shout furiously. 

      The trial ended with many angry and broken hearts.

~~~~~

      "So, I had my first day of court today. Everyone thought we were going to lose...and we did. Wes was first chair, and some asshole was second. Well, Michaela ended up replacing him as second chair, but it didn't matter. The defendant lied to protect his daughter, and now he's getting deported. What a day, right? I hope you're having a better day, wherever you are. I think I'm gonna go have that drink now. Bye."

      Her voice dissolved into thin air, leaving only the torture of silence. He hated that she'd resorted to leaving him voicemails every day. She didn't deserve this. She deserved better than him.

      He glanced outside and noticed that the door to his designated room just closed. He hopped out of his car and rushed up the stairs of the low-quality motel. He heard the male's voice on the opposite end of the door, and with one last deep breath, he silently opened it.

      "Annalise?" His target questioned. So it was true. Annalise sent someone to kill him. He used the rope in his hand, throwing it around the man's neck and tugging. He yelled at him, commanding him to hang up. He deprived the man of oxygen until he fell limp. He let go, sinking to the ground with the now dead body. He thought of her. She knew he was a monster, yet he still feared what her reaction would be if she saw him now. She would hate him.

      Karmen would hate Frank, and he would only have himself to blame.

~~~~~

Two Months Later

      Annalise pushed through the crowd, but was stopped by a police officer. 

      "Who is it?!" She yelled as she watched a body with a sheet over it get wheeled past. She pleaded to the cop to tell her who was under the sheet, but nothing. She finally gained the courage to shove past him and run up to the truck before they could drive off with the body. She begged the woman by the car to let her see who it was, telling the woman she lived at the crime scene. The door opened, and the sheet lifted to reveal who had died.

      Tears immediately flowed down her cheeks. She backed away, chanting 'no' under her breath. She screamed the word eventually, her eyes falling on her house.

      Her house, engulfed and swallowed by illuminating flames. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4K 70 34
Between love and loss, forgetting and remembering, will this young couple survive what's to come? Will something happen to make Erza fall for another...
1.3M 36.5K 54
"What you said hurt, asshole. What did you think would happen?" I yell in his face. I'm so angry that I could most definitely shove his face into the...
43 0 31
In a small town, when it comes to the truth, who would believe the unpopular new girl over the police chief's popular son? Paige Clearwater's secret...
3.3K 122 34
R5 has this competition where you can win to go on tour with them .  The competition is where you answer a whole bunch of questions that no one...