STONE

By InnocentClaws

What is the one thing you fear most? Perhaps the unknown? What it was yourself? A young man named Trippstone... More

Genesis
Define 'Strange'...
Remembrance
Galax Moon Port
Little Stranger
Can we keep him?
Train Up A Boy
Time On Hawuka
Treasure Trove
Temple's Edge
Helios
Training Day
Getting Steadier
Reaction
Dallic Moon Port
Control
Eeva
Recovery
So Many Questions
The Beast Within
Peace and Fire
Lunary Cortex
The Upper Hand
Taking Leave
Dubious Much?
Home

Getting Familiar

138 13 6
By InnocentClaws

Tripp hung on to his breath for as long as he could as a powerful jet stream of hot citrus smelling water struck him across his chest. He knew he signed up for joining the K-force but did they really have to disinfect him so harshly?!
Pounded, shaven and completely undressed, he stood there waiting for the next hot jet stream, which struck him in the back of the head. It was a strange "box". It was a large and clear disinfecting container, with different sockets for the liquid to hit him in different angles. He hoped not every bath would be this way. He'd have no skin left!
The Captain said that since Tripp was a "stray", he would have to be disinfected, tested and be shaven, so that the ship won't be infected by a random virus and wiped them all out. So his newly dusty blonde hair was cut short and even his eyebrows were plucked handsomely.

After a good ten minutes of sterile torture, Tripp slowly walked out of the cleansing machine and started putting on the fresh clean clothes that were laid out waiting for him on a nearby bench. Simple clothes, just a white t-shirt, black cargo pants and some undergarments. Beside it was a plate of bread, cheese, a few pieces of fruit and a piece of paper. Helping himself to the food, he read the paper which was a poorly drawn map of how to get to the control bridge or "The Operation Nest" as they were apparently calling it.
Tripp tilted his head as he tried to examine the poorly drawn map, which after a few moments, he started to make his way to the destination.
Surprised that they would leave him unattended, but just by looking at him, he wasn't exactly a threat. Especially when he realized that he had to turn around and go the other way, because he was holding the map upside down.

As Tripp walked along, his bright amber eyes look around at the large corridor. Nice to be able to see properly without shaggy hair in the way.
The halls was very open, rooms and doors everywhere, and just about everything was colored in every shade of gray under a shadow's rainbow, like the outside was.
Even occasionally, a few boards of wood were seen on the wall, held together on the metal by.. construction tape? Tripp was amazed. How is this ship is still in one piece? And flying in midspace? Space cannot provide a wind draft, was the walls thick enough? He didn't want to think too much about it. The less he knows, the better, right?
The odor of the ship even seemed odd to him. Of course, he had been in a jungle for as long as his mind allows him. Not to mention how cold space was. The floor beneath him was cold too, he wasn't wearing shoes.  Everything was so different, intimidating even. He wondered if he had made the right choice in leaving his former home. A little too late to rethink his decision.

As he walked around the corner, admiring a small tree growing in a clay pot, he heard the sound of laughter ahead. As he stepped closer, the path lead to an opening of the "Nest" where apparently everyone else was at, which was the towards the front of the ship.
A room where all basic controls are at, the Control Bridge. Large control panels edged the very front, where the window shields were. Buttons of all sorts scattered across the top of them, each seemed to belong to a certain station, or controlled area of the ship. Toward the middle of the room, on a bit of a small balcony, was just a single chair. Just a few steps high enough to look over the others, and giving the perfect view outside the front windows. Staring out those windows could easily cause you to lose your train of thought on just how vast space was.

Feeling nervous, Tripp figured it would be best to stay by the wall near the entrance of the room to overhear the crew's talk. He hadn't been around others like him for so long, he felt like he didn't know how to interact. Should he stutter more? Less? Creatures don't seem to threatened a slow speaker. It seemd to work somewhat on the android. But Tripp didn't want to push his luck. Not having a conversation with anyone for so long, would make your speech a bit slurred anyway. So, for now, listening in for a few moments shouldn't hurt anything.
But before he could, the sounds of footsteps comes rushing in from behind him. Small steps, making a soggy, squishy noise, if you will.
As Tripp quickly turn to see what it is, a short, light blue slug-like creature comes running up to the room as fast as his two little stubby feet could carry him. It wore a dark green overalls and a matching helmet that covered majority of it's head.
It's two long eye stalks bounced side to side as the creature shouts some sort of gibberish.
Tripp moved out of the way quickly, astonished at what it was. Nothing like that was ever in the jungle! He didn't bother to think too long on how it would of tasted.

As he watches, the floor starts shaking terribly underneath him.
Tripp again looks behind him and see the second in command, Fedrick, storming down the hall towards the open room as well, his voice booming across the room, "COME BACK HERE WITH MY SLIPPER SOCKS, YOU SLIMY TWIT!!"

Tripp immediately falls to the floor, covering his head, hoping he won't get stepped on as Fedrick runs passed him.
Like a bad game of dangerous tag, Fedrick and the much smaller creature, ran around the controls and other parts of the room. It felt like the whole ship was being torn apart, with how it seemed to shake. No one else seem to really react to it, as though this was a daily activity. They just scooted their chairs back and forth or avoid gettimg.in the way.
The little creature ran up the wall, using his sticky, mitten-shaped hands to cling himself to it, hovering over Fedrick, shouting some gibberish taunts as the large alien.
Finally, a voice from the large chair that sat solo in the middle of the room, spoke up. A voice that Tripp thankfully recognizes.
"You idiots better be glad I built this ship to withstand your neanderthal dancing!", shouted Captain Kyle as he leans forward in his revolving seat.

"But Captain, Nothang ate my slipper socks! Those things cost me three whole guenies! And I demand them back!", barked Fedrick, very unpleased.
Before he could fuss any further, Nothang, the smaller creature slowly regurgitates two large socks, and slowly lets them slide out of his mouth and right onto Fedrick's bald head. The smacking, slobbering noise it made as it hit Fedrick's head was unnecessary loud and gross.

Fedrick peeled the wet socks off his head, somehow not minding the drool on his scalp, "Thank you, Nothang. That wasn't so bad, now was it?"
"Nothing!", Nothang replied with glee as he climbed his way down the wall,  followed by more gibberish,  but no one seemed.to botherto listen.

Kyle tries to rub the annoyance off his face with his hand, as he turns his chair around the towards the hall. Through his fingers, he notices Tripp sitting on the floor, watching curiously at Fedrick and Nothang laugh at each other. He was safe in his little corner, no need to get in the way of "traffic".
Kyle lifts one eyebrow from his forehead and snaps his fingers, "Kida, bring him to me."

Beside him, a large wolf dog raised her head and looked around until her dark eyes landed upon Tripp.
She growled and leaped to her feet then charged at Tripp ferociously.
Tripp turns his attention to the wolf and scrambles up to escape from her, but to no avail.
The wolf pounced on top of him, bites onto his pants and drags him back to the captain.

"Good girl Kida.", Kyle says as he tosses a small biscuit treat to the wolf, of which she gladly chows down on.

Tripp, on the other hand, scrambles back to his feet, unsure exactly what just happen as he looks at the captain, who is staring down to him dead in the eye, Kida doing the same. What happened to being safe in a corner!?
"Well, you're the quiet type, ain't ya? How'd you enjoy your wash-down? You look a hundred times better. Not to mention, smell better. I barely recognize you, I can actually see your face!"

Tripp shyly nods his head, straightening his shirt, "Y-yes sir, it was, uh.. refreshing."  He probably still had soap in his ear.

Kyle smirks slightly at the young man, "No need for dishonesty here, Kid, I know it kicked your butt, as it does with everyone else. I hate it myself, but better to be safe than sorry. It's a good exfoliate, don't get me wrong.
Don't worry, as long as we don't enter a contaminated atmosphere, or you catch mono or whatever, you don't need to use it again. We have normal bathtubs and showers. Besides, such a beating makes you a man! I'm glad you finally made your way over here. Without getting ran over anyway."
As he finishes that last sentence, he glares at the odd pair, Fedrick and Nothang, who was making a mess of something, Kyle was sure of it.

"They.. s-seem friendly."  Tripp muttered softly. It's not like any of them would eat him. He hoped.

Kyle just gave a light slap to the young man's shoulder, letting out a small laugh. "We're very well known for our warm hospitality. If we don't shoot shoot first. C'mon, I'll introduce you to the rest of the crew. You have to know who your dealing with here. No surprises here."
The captain spun around in his chair, letting it turn a full circle, and presses the mic button. "All crew members to the 'Nest' stat for a roll call!"

A few minutes after the announcement, the small crew was lined up beside one another by the captain's chair.
One by one, Kyle introduced them to Tripp. Each was different in their own interesting ways. Each wearing matching cargo pants and armored dark green or white shirts with the same red and yellow stripe to the side and the K-Force logo stamped on the other side. That seemed to be their uniform, although it seemed as though the team could easily get away with wearing casual.
Besides Fedrick and the odd creature Nothang, who Tripp was already familiar with, the others seemed normal. To a certain degree. Not that he was entirely normal.

"This is my scientist computer nerd who does all my dissecting and diagnostics concerning planets and enemy lines." The captain explains, "His name is Alamo Wrench. Fitting name since he invents random stuff that has no use but comes in handy after a while. He's saved our skins numerous times. He's been a part of my crew for the past decade and a half. "

Not that Tripp could remember what most or any human would look like, but this Alamo Wrench was definitely different looking than Kyle. Short, his weight was pretty plump, he had very thin, scraggly red hair that needed a conditioner desperately. He wore these magnification glasses that made one eye super close and the other eye really small and beady. And he smelled like corn chips...
Alamo grabbed a hold of Tripp's hand and shook it vigorously as he speaks in a deep, nasal voice, "Welcome to the crew, my boy! You're gonna fit in just fine! Just call me Al. Always nice to have a new face around here."

Tripp grins gently and nods, glad to get his hand released, as he followed the captain to the next crewman. The next one looked very human. Except for the bright yellow skin, the royal blue hair and the oddest orange eyes Tripp has ever looked upon. Again, this one too grabbed his hand and shook it. His voice and actions seemed normal. Why was everyone grabbing his hand?

"Man, you're about as ugly as the captain! Name's Snax Boid. But Snax is fine by me."

The captain gives Snax a certain look of a warning smile, "Well if everyone looked as beautiful as you, Snax, we'd all be colorblind."

Fedrick, standing there beside Snax, had started to snicker, mumbling his thoughts at the conversation, "Or just blind in general.."

Snax practically gasped outlook as he turns to the big guy immediately and starting barking words, "You have no say in this! You're as ugly as the entrails that gave birth to you!"

"YOU LEAVE MY MOMMA OUTTA THIS!!"

Suddenly, Tripp was yanked away by the captain from the fist fight that erupted. Now neither of them will be beautiful.
Tripp looked at Kyle with slight worry in his eyes, "Shouldn't we stop them?!"
Obviously you shouldn't mess with a large person in the room. And there as no denying that the big person was Fedrick. If he sneezed hard enough, he'd be a walking canon.

"Are you nuts? Ha, you learn quickly to stay out stupidity. It's an easy thing to catch." The captain explained.
At least that's all Tripp heard before a pair of arms went around him and yanked him away into a smothering hug.
When Tripp finally got his head loose to breathe, a thick accent surrounded his eardrums.
"Oh he'sa so cute, Captain! I coo' just love 'em and squeeze 'em til he pops!"

Tripp struggled to break free of what entrapped him, which was apparently two breasts which was each much bigger than his head. He much preferred the hand shaking!! This lovable woman was about five and a half feet tall, smooth gray skin, dark violet hair that was placed in two pigtails. She was definitely had as much love to match the weight she carried around.
Tripp, still struggling to escape her grip, suddenly hears another female voice but this one was sweeter and much easier to understand.
"Helgala, drop the boy, or there'll be nothing left of him!"

Helgala drops Tripp on the floor, and as he gasps for breath, he looks up and sees another woman, possibly in her early thirty's, same age as the captain appeared to be. She, like the captain, was all human herself.
Thank goodness!
Dark brunette hair that reached down to her shoulder, although braided for now. Her eyes were a dark hazel. Tall, slender, fit. She was definitely more clean cut than the rest of the crew.
The woman laughed as she grabbed Tripp by the arm and helped him up to his feet. "You poor boy, thrown in the mist of these people. My sorrowful excuse of a husband oughta know better."

"Y-You're Captain Kyle's wife? My apologies, but I must say that.. I find much relief in knowing that, Miss Captain." Tripp says bashfully, still a bit lightheaded from being squeezed.

The woman laughs a little harder, "Well, Kyle certainly knows how to pick them, huh? I'm Paris. And obviously my last name is Darius. Everyone here calls me Paris, so please feel free to do the same. No need for the formality."

Tripp nods, thinking that he's glad that the captain has someone normal on this ship. Everyone seemed really nice so far. Very touchy though.
His thoughts are suddenly interrupted when a large Thump followed by a loud crash, happened behind him.
Tripp and Paris quickly looked to see what it was, and apparently all the men, including the captain, started to wrestle like they were thrown in the boxing ring.
The captain miraculously body slams Fedrick on top of Snax, with Nothang running around them, chanting something. Al, the non-fighter, ran the other direction, hoping not to get squished.

Paris shook her head and huffed softly, "Men.. worse excuse of an unfinished creation. Alright, that's enough of that, neanderthals! I'm gonna count to three and you better hope I don't get there!"

Immediately, somehow over all the noise, the men heard her and stopped wrestling. All of them straighten out their clothes, acting like it never happened.
"Honey Bunches, I was just showing the boys whose still in charge around here. They'll run rampant if I don't." Kyle playfully tries to explain as he fixes his scuffed up hair.

Paris huffs once more, her ha.ds now placed on her hips, "You're gonna break something is what's gonna happen! You have a new guest, we want him not to pick up bad behaviors. Which happens too quickly, if you ask me.."

"Yes honey.." Kyle says submissively, although not helping but to smile. He then turned to the rest of the crew, huffing quietly, "Alright men, you heard her, man your stations! We've got a score to collect and unfortunately grocery shopping for ship parts. Set coordinates to Galax Moon Port."

"Aye Captain!" The crew shouts in unison as they jump into their stations.

Kyle places his hand on Tripp's head, rubbing it to fluff up his hair some, "See kid? We ain't that scary. You'll get used to it. It won't take long for you to settle in. Once you do, this place will feel like home."

Tripp smiled at him, but in his mind all he could think of was how Kyle told Tripp he wanted to see how long he would last with them. He wasn't talking about the battles or the missions. He was talking about surviving the crew!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Crash By London Bailey

Mystery / Thriller

7.2K 209 14
(Previously titled Kidnapped) Have you ever imagined what you would do if you were kidnapped. I think most people have, I know I did... How I imagine...
20.7K 643 37
Terrible things happen to good people. Such is the world we live in. It doesn't matter who or what you are, sometimes there's no avoiding despair. T...
7.8K 545 34
[[BEFORE YOU READ: it's been years since this fic has been completed but I've recently begun a revisited/rewritten version of it on AO3 as well as he...
Who Was Her? ✔ By ☛☚

Mystery / Thriller

1K 341 12
***A forbidden romance, mystery-thriller short story*** Due to depression, anxiety and financial issues the 20 year old Arlen stumbles across a fores...