The Cellar

By natashapreston

For months Summer is trapped in a cellar with the man who took her - and three other girls: Rose, Poppy, and... More

The Cellar - Chapter One
The Cellar - Chapter Two
The Cellar - Chapter Three
The Cellar - Chapter Four
The Cellar - Chapter Five
The Cellar - Chapter Six
The Cellar - Chapter Seven (Clover)
The Cellar (8)
The Cellar (9)
The Cellar (10)
The Cellar (11)
The Cellar (12)
The Cellar (13)
The Cellar (14)
The Cellar (15)
The Cellar (16)
The Cellar (17)
The Cellar (18)
The Cellar (19)
The Cellar (20)
The Cellar (20 - Clover)
The Cellar (21)
The Cellar (22)
The Cellar (23)
The Cellar (24)
The Cellar (25)
The Cellar (26)
The Cellar (27) Epilogue
Bonus Chapter - Finding Rose
The Sequel
Your help/opinion please?
Publishing and Fan Funding!

The Cellar (7)

973K 20.3K 11.1K
By natashapreston

**Please note Violet is now called Heather from here on, this is because I've only updated the first seven chapters on here***

Chapter 7

Lewis’ POV

It had been nine days since she was taken and I have barely slept; I’ve just pulled over in car parks and napped for an hour or two. Every day I spent the whole time looking for summer. I practically lived in my car, just getting out to search the forest and fields. There was huge media cover now but I guess it was a good thing, it means more people are searching for her and the whole nation is looking out for her. Someone must know something or have seen something.

I arrived back at Summer’s house where we were all meeting for a late dinner before we all go back out. I finally had to give in to everyone’s nagging and take half an hour to eat something, they were right I did need to look after myself a little better, for Summer’s sake.

“Lewis,” Mum said, giving me a hug as I walked through the door. “Honey you need to sleep.” She frowned at the dark circles under my eyes. I looked like shit but I didn’t care.

I walked in the kitchen where Dawn was keeping herself busy, making baked potatoes for everyone. I practically inhaled my food, barely tasting a thing; I didn’t want to waste too much time. “Lewis, you need to sleep. It’s almost nine o’clock, why don’t stay here tonight? You can go out again in the morning when you’re not so tired,” Dawn said as she put another potato on my plate.

“No I need to keep looking,” I replied, shaking my head.

“You can’t look properly if you’re tired. She needs you to be strong, get some proper sleep tonight.” Dawn argued, using Summer to convince me.

I sighed, “Okay fine but as soon as its light I’m going.” She nodded and poured more beans over my almost finished potato. Mum and Dad exchanged a little smile when I agreed to stay here the night, they were really worried about me; it was Summer they should be worried about. Dawn was right though, if I’m really tired I might miss something important.

The conversation was the same; it was all about how we will find Summer. Occasionally someone would say something negative, like a worst case scenario thing, and I’d have to leave the room. She was alive, I knew it. “I’m going to bed,” I announced as soon as I’d finished. If I went to sleep early then I’d wake get up early and could start looking again.

I took a deep breath and walked into her room; I hadn’t been in here in nine days. It still smells like her. Everywhere I looked were pictures of us or things I’d brought her, it made me miss her ten times more. The sunflowers I brought here were slowly dying in the vase on her bedside table. She loved sunflowers and they fitted her personality perfectly, they were like Summer in flower form.

My chest felt like it was tightening; it physically hurt to be away from her, to not know where she is or if she’s okay. I pulled my shirt and jeans off and slipped into bed, her smell surrounding me. I closed my eyes and gripped hold of her pillow as I fell into a restless sleep.

I woke to with the bright sun glaring down on my face. Shit, I overslept, it was almost nine! I threw the cover off and jumped out of bed, quickly pulling my clothes on. How could I sleep so long? Why didn’t anyone wake me? They were all up at six. I ran downstairs to grab an apple or something; there was no time to eat anything substantial.

“Lewis come sit down for breakfast,” Mum said, rubbing Dawn’s back as she sobbed quietly on her shoulder. Before I saw how upset Dawn was I was going to confront them, ask them why they let me sleep that long but she really didn’t need that right now. I shook my head and took an apple and a granola bar. “Lewis you need to have a proper breakfast.”

“No I need to find Summer!” I snapped, walking outside towards my car.

A few police officers and some of the neighbours were in the front garden looking at maps, planning where to search next. The police were knocking on peoples doors again. There had been a few leads so far but they never resulted in anything. It was like she just vanished off the face of the earth.

Theo was heading up a team of five searchers and was briefing them; he smiled at me as I walked past and got in my car. He doesn’t really talk to me that much anymore knowing I couldn’t handle making small talk.

“Lewis, wait. I’m coming with you,” Henry shouted as he ran towards the car. God hurry up if you’re coming! Finally he slammed the door shut and I drove off immediately. “Where we going today?”

“Woods, but a little further this time.” I’d been searching the woods surrounding the road where we lost the tyre tracks. He nodded and closed his eyes. He looked like hell too, none of us got much sleep and I’m definitely not going to bed again tonight, I wasted almost three hours this morning and I hated myself for it. I pulled up at the edge of the woods and we both got out. “Let’s start over there, I covered this bit yesterday,” I said, nodding into the forest.

We walked along slowly, searching the ground and in bushes. Part of me really wanted to find something but if we did then what would that mean for Summer?

The sun was blocked by the trees making it really cold; goosebumps covered the exposed skin on my arms. I didn’t even think to bring a jacket with me.

 “How far in are we going? I don’t think we’re going to find anything here Lewis.” Henry said, breaking the silence.

I sighed and leant against a tree, “I don’t know.” I didn’t think we’d find anything either but I didn’t know what else to do, I just felt so helpless. Henry looked at me with pity in his eyes; he knew how much I loved her and how hard this was. He was doing okay but I got the impression he was keeping it together for everyone else.

“Okay, let’s just carry on,” he said, patting my shoulder. If he was alone he would have gone back and tried somewhere else by now, he was just staying for my sake. I nodded and we walked further into the forest.

Summer’s POV

The cellar door opened making me jump in fear. I doubt that I would ever get used to that sound.

“Good evening flowers,” he said cheerfully, smiling at us as he reached the bottom of the stairs. Rose and Poppy greeted him and I just stayed on the sofa, watching carefully where he walked and planning where I would go if he got too close to me.

Rose called us all over to the table and we took our usual seats. “How was work today Clover?” Rose asked making me want to shake her.

“Very good, thank you. The extra hours I’ve put in recently have paid off and I’m getting a raise, I’ll be able to treat you all,” he said proudly, looking around at us for praise.

“That great, well done,” Rose said softly, smiling at him. I wanted to be sick. Did she actually like him?

He kissed her hand and I felt bile rise to my throat, I closed my eyes and concentrated on breathing. I could never let him do that to me; just the thought of it was sickening.

“I thought I would let you all know I’m going to be searching for Heather soon.” My head snapped up. What? He was going to kidnap someone else? Rose and Poppy both nodded and I looked down at the table. How would he choose her? Was it random? Did he just pick someone because of convenience like with me?

“We’ll start the washing up,” Rose said, grabbing the plates and breaking me from my thoughts. I started to panic and jumped up, catching up to them so I wasn’t alone with him.

“Poppy what’s this?” he spat angrily. His whole face had turned red and his body was tense. He was staring at the dead poppies in the vase with a strange expression.

The colour drained from her face as she held her hands up. Was he going to kill her? “I-I’m sorry Clover, they died.” The fear in her voice terrified me. Rose pulled me away and we stood against the wall.

He walked over to Poppy, breathing hard. “You didn’t look after them properly,” he growled.

Poppy flinched and shook her head, “I-I did but they...um they-”

“Don’t mumble!” he shouted making us all jump. “You did this on purpose. You did this to disobey me.” He accused.

“No I didn’t, I swear. I didn’t. I’m so sorry Clover, please forgive me,” she whispered pleadingly. He walked forward, backing her against the wall. Why was he reacting like this? They were only flowers!

Rose held me tight, stroking my arm comfortingly. “It’s going to be okay,” she whispered. Was it though? Would he kill her for the dead flowers? Tears were flowing down my cheeks. I was so scared for her.

Poppy held her hands up, pleading with him, “Clover I promise I took care of them, they just died.” His nostrils flared and he raised his hand, slapping her hard across the face. Poppy cried out in pain and held the side of her face.

He grabbed the flowers out of the vase and threw them at her. “I guess I need to get you more,” he spat as he walked out of the cellar, slamming the door. He looked so upset and angry, but why?

We both rushed over to Poppy who was sitting on the floor crying. “It’s okay Poppy,” Rose said soothingly.

After a few minutes Poppy stopped crying and stood up. “I’m okay.  Lily, honey, you’re shaking,” she said, rubbing her hands up and down my arms. I didn’t even realise but my whole body was shaking.

 Rose made us both sit down as she cleaned up the poppies that were scattered around the floor. I turned to Poppy, “Why did he do that?”

“He doesn’t like when they die,” she said quietly. I almost laughed. He has no problem murdering women but he’s doesn’t like flowers dying.  She must have seen the confusion on my face as she moved so she was facing me. “I don’t know why exactly but he says flowers are pure. I think that’s why he takes it so badly when they die. All of this,” she gestured around the room, “It’s all to make a pure and clean family. His idea of a perfect family.”

I shook my head in disbelief, “What?”

“That’s just my theory but I think it’s pretty accurate.”

“What’s wrong with him?”

“I don’t know, Lily.”

“It’s Summer,” I snapped making her flinch. “Sorry I just don’t like being called Lily.”

“Summer’s dead, you are Lily now. I’m sorry but I’m only trying to help you. If you keep holding on to who you used to be you’ll go crazy. Accept this life.” I turned my head away from her. I can’t accept this. I’m not accepting a life without Lewis or my family.

---

I had been down here for nine days now and every single day was the same. In the morning we would shower and make breakfast. We spend the day cleaning, watching films, reading and knitting. He comes back in the evening to have dinner with us. After that we clean up, watch more films, shower and go to bed.

On Mondays he would take Rose into that room and on Wednesdays it was Poppy. It always happens just after dinner and he leaves immediately after to go and shower. He sticks to the routine and if anything disturbs it he can’t deal with it and gets really violent.

So far he hasn’t done anything to me; just talks to me more and asks questions, he’s very careful not to ask things about my life though, mostly he asks about my favourite food, films and books. The thought of one day he’ll want to touch me is in my mind constantly.

He hadn’t brought anyone else back here yet and still hasn’t found a replacement for Heather which makes him be on edge. Apparently he doesn’t like there being an uneven number of us. Rose thinks it’s all about control. He absolutely hates losing control, even with the smallest things.

His overreaction to the dead flowers had happened with me a couple days ago, it was exactly the same as what he did to Poppy.  He screamed at me, slapped me then walked out. At the minute all three bunches of flowers were okay but we’d only had them a day.

The only way I get through each day is by thinking about Lewis, maybe I was making it harder for myself but I couldn’t help it. Most of the time I thought about things we’d done and occasionally I’d let myself think about the future. I didn’t think of anyone else, not my family or friends, it was too hard but I needed Lewis. Rose and Poppy keep telling me to forget about him but that was never going to happen. Even if I never got out of here, I would always love him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

289K 11.8K 23
((COMPLETED)) When Summer is kidnapped by a married couple who are determined to have perfect daughters,and a perfect family, there's just a sick tw...
40.8K 955 28
Ten years ago, Y/n was adopted from the Playtime Co orphanage, Playcare. Years later, their father gets a letter from the abandoned factory but Y/n f...
10.2K 123 18
Kathryn is an average girl, she's thoughtful and wouldn't hurt a fly but when a mysterious stranger takes her away to an unknown location and she's i...
253 33 17
A blood stained cardigan. A cut from falling. The DNA evidence. Bodies in the woods. Where did all this mess start? "The Eldest daughter of the wealt...