mahogany ; d.m

By canyonsunflowerr

[ᴍᴀᴛᴜʀᴇ ᴄᴏɴᴛᴇɴᴛ- ʀᴇᴀᴅᴇʀ ᴅɪꜱᴄʀᴇᴛɪᴏɴ ᴀᴅᴠɪꜱᴇᴅ] "You look so good like this," he smirked, lifting her chin with t... More

disclaimer
cast
1 - stunned
2 - detention
3 - invitations
4 - the three broomsticks
5 - amortentia
6 - slytherin
7 - desire
8 - quidditch
10 - firewhiskey
11 - suspicious
12 - honey
13 - nausea
14 - flames
15 - incrementum vitae
16 - decisions
17 - rid
18 - molten mandposey
19 - necessity
20 - warmth
21 - unexpected
22 - victory
23 - birthday
24 - the hogwarts express
25 - the burrow
26 - christmas day
27 - accusation
28 - slytherin vs hufflepuff
29 - gone
30 - void
31 - condolences
32 - high
33 - photograph
34 - pensieve
35 - catastrophes
36 - temptation
37 - aftermath
38 - the trophy room
39 - lies
40 - endings
41 - ruined
42 - tension
43 - promises
44 - truth or dare
45 - nightmares
46 - deceived
47 - ache
48 - yours
49 - reflection
50 - longing
51 - mine
52 - mysteries
53 - demise
54 - memoriam
55 - void again
56 - still life
57 - theodore
58 - two christmas'
59 - disappearances
60 - luna
61 - remember
62 - the manor
63 - wards
64 - alive
65 - departures
66 - the battle
67 - heal
68 - then forever
epilogue
author's note
new book out now!

9 - hufflepuff

6.2K 137 22
By canyonsunflowerr

Later that evening, after dinner, Athena and her friends walked back to the common room, where she would wait for eight o clock to roll around.

She asked Hermione if she would come but she thought it 'un-prefect like' to be sneaking alcohol into Hogwarts and had a rant about how Cedric should know better, being Head Boy and all. So of course, Hermione was not willing to come along. She asked Harry and Ron too but they couldn't be bothered so she gave up trying to get people to come with her.

They slumped down next to the fire place, their stomachs full to the brim with their dinner. Today on the menu was fish and chips which was a rare meal in Hogwarts considering the kitchen usually took fancy to potatoes, vegetables and some form of meat.

"Harry, what did you mean earlier when you said Malfoy is a Death Eater?" Athena whispered to Harry who was sitting next to her on the sofa.

"That he's working for Voldemort,"he said bluntly.

"Well yes, I know what a Death Eater is but why would you think that?"she asked.

"He's been sneaking off somewhere. He didn't play today for a start, which is unusual. Remember third year when he 'broke' his arm? He had the whole game moved. And that's only one thing," he explained, his voice low so only the three of them could hear.

"You're jumping to conclusions,"Hermione said.

"Alright Hermione, lets see shall we,"he sulked, obviously frustrated by Hermione's lack of faith in his knowledge.

Athena had no idea what to think. Before Harry had said that today, she hadn't thought anything of it. But looking back on the past month, she realised small things which could hint it.

There was his ever-growing ill appearance. He'd been so pale as of recently, he seemed much skinnier, his face gaunt and not to mention the deep shape of grey-purple under his eyes.

And then what Harry said about the Quidditch game seemed very likely. If there was anything known about Draco it's that he was competitive, always wanting to be the best. He wouldn't dare miss a Quidditch game prior to today's match.

  Due the focus on her thoughts, Athena hadn't realised that their conversation had changed. They spoke of Ron and Lavender, which he was still planning their breakup. Athena could tell Hermione was pleased though she was ever so discreet.

  They sat around for a while chatting until Athena realised the time; it was five to eight.

"Shite I've got to go,"she said, standing up. She waved goodbye to her friends which they returned by saying, "have fun".

From across the room, she could see Isaac Shire coming from the boys dormitories. He nodded when he saw her and walked towards her.

"Hi, you going to Hufflepuff?"he asked, ruffling his hair.

"Yes I am,"she smiled.

"Cool let's get going then,"he said. They walked out together through the portrait.

"So how are you? I don't think I've seen you since..."he trailed off to think.

"Three broomsticks,"she finished for him.

"Ah yes. When that Malfoy git nearly killed me,"he grumbled humorously. "I promise you I'm stronger than I look."

"I wouldn't say you look weak,"she chuckled.

"Well then. That's just embarrassing,"he sighed. "I was wasted! There's my excuse."

She laughed in response as they walked down the stairs.

"So how are things with you and Aurora?"she asked, making light conversation.

"Oh great. Same old really,"he smirked.

"How long have you two been together?"

"About two years strong," he said. Athena let out a "wow", before he continued. "Yeah she loves me too much to let me go,"he said jokily.

"You guys are great together,"she smiled.

"Yeah I'd hope so. I mean I haven't been in love with the girl for us to be boring,"he laughed.

They turned into the hallway where the Hufflepuff common room was located, as well as the Hogwarts kitchens, which thanks to Fred and George, Athena knew the location.

"What about you and Cedric? Things going well?"he asked.

"Oh um—we aren't actually together,"she replied awkwardly.

"Oh sorry. I just assumed..."

"No, well, we're just friends at the moment,"she said feeling slightly resentful.

"Well between you and me, I think you'd be a good match,"he said. Athena's cheeks warmed at his words.

"I mean, I know you'd be lucky to have Ced. He's a great guy and from what I've heard, he knows how to treat his ladies," he winked. "And well, from what I know about you so far, he'd be lucky to have you too."

"Well that's nice of you,"she smiled, feeling slightly flustered at the comment he made when winking.

They reached the Hufflepuff common room a few moments later but there was no sign of Cedric outside yet. Athena and Isaac stood waiting for a little while longer.

"Did none of your mates feel up to coming?"he asked.

"No, unfortunately,"she replied, awaiting the questions about the famous Harry Potter.

"Shame. For' will be disappointed. He was looking forward to seeing Granger,"he chuckled.

"Forester likes Hermione?"Athena asked, astounded.

"Well lets just say, he admires her brains, and probably her looks too,"he sniggered.

Before she could form a reply, the common room entrance opened and out walked Cedric. He smiled at Athena when he saw her and patted Isaac on the back, who had already entered.

"I'm glad you came,"he smiled.

They entered the common room after Isaac and she was taken aback by her surroundings. They were walking on an earthy passage which sloped upwards to a low ceilinged room. The room was decorated in the Hufflepuff colours, yellow and black, creating a cheerful aesthetic. The tables were made from a honey-coloured wood, with plant pots and flowers on top.

As she scanned the room, she realised that their were plants everywhere such as cacti on shelves, fern tendrils and ivies hanging from the ceiling. Above the mantelpiece, hung on the wall was a portrait of the one and only Helga Hufflepuff. The round windows dotted on the walls had yellow curtains hung over them to cover the room from the night.

They headed over to a crowd of sofa chairs by the far left of the room, where Aurora, Elias and Forester were already seated.

Aurora leapt out of her seat to greet Isaac, when he grabbed her by the waist and pulled her onto his lap, collapsing onto the sofa chair she had been sat on. He then kissed her, which made Athena feel envious of their perfect relationship.

"Athena! How are you?"Forester asked enthusiastically, while holding a bottle of firewhiskey. "It's good to see you again."

"You too. I'm good thanks,"she smiled while sitting in the chair between Cedric and Elias.

"Here,"Elias said, passing her a bottle of firewhiskey.

She twisted off the cap, opening the bottle and then took a sip. Immediately that familiar fiery sensation, ignited in her throat and chest filling her with an eager feeling of courage.

She took another swig.

"Easy,"Cedric chuckled. "I don't wanna have to carry you back to your dormitory."

She threw a beam at him through the burning sensation in her body.

"I bet he wouldn't mind that though,"Isaac coughed.

Athena giggled whilst Cedric blushed.

As the night commenced, they did plenty of chatting and drinking to the point where Isaac suggested playing strip poker with the deck of cards Forester had brought. Though Aurora shunned the idea as they weren't alone in the common room. Athena was extremely grateful to her. 

She was on her second bottle of firewhiskey, having gulped down the first slightly too quickly. She wasn't drunk yet but did feel strangely confident about every idea she had. They put some music on the radio and she asked Cedric if he wanted to dance which was very unlike her as she tended to dance with two left feet.

And so they laughed and drank and danced to the late night mashup from the radio station, an abundance of serotonin enthusing the room.

The best part of it all. Nothing in this particular moment mattered to Athena. Nothing at all except having fun.

Cedric's hair was all ruffled and disheveled which Athena thought was extremely attractive. Her cheeks burned just at the sight of him. She wondered what it would be like to touch it.

She ran her hand through his hair, which caught him off guard, but he let her continue.

"You h-have nice hair,"she hiccuped.

"Thank you,"he beamed, holding onto her so that she didn't toppled over. "You seem like you could use a rest. I'll get you some water."

He placed her onto one of the sofa chairs, where she was glad to feel the comforts of the cushion. She was a bit tipsy by now having just drunk her third bottle but still didn't want to leave.

Cedric walked back over to her holding a cup of water in his hands. Athena scooted over in the large sofa chair so that Cedric could squeeze in but he didn't seem to understand. He gave her the water and proceeded to walk away, when she tugged at his sleeve.

"Will you sit with me?" she asked, patting the space next to her. He smiled, nodded and squeezed himself in beside her. She then rested her head upon his torso and he was warm, so damn warm. He placed his arm over her shoulders and they stayed like this for a while.

Athena thought she could probably have been stuck in this position forever. She was so comfortable and content right here. From the soothing rising and lowering of his chest under her head to the warmth emanating from his body, everything seemed perfect.

Until reality set in.

"Blimey is that the time?"Elias said. "You guys better get back before Filch comes around to check the common rooms."

"Oh you just wanna go to bed you soppy git,"Isaac teased, as he and Aurora were slow dancing to a song by the Weird Sisters.

"Well I think I'm gonna head off,"Forester yawned, placing his bottle of firewhiskey on the table next him and standing up.

"Alright I guess I'll come with you then,"Aurora sighed, giving Isaac a kiss, who looked devastated that the party was ending. Athena felt the same.

"'Thena don't tell me you wanna head back to Gryffindor yet,"Isaac groaned.

"No I'm alright at the moment,"she said, looking up at Cedric who seemed quite tired. "Unless Ced's going to bed."

"I'll wait up,"he smiled, rubbing her shoulder.

"Great! Another bottle?"Isaac beamed enthusiastically.

"Sure!"Athena stood up, tearing away from Cedric's grasp and took her fourth bottle of the night from him. She knew she probably shouldn't have another but she was craving that fiery sensation.

Cedric stayed put in the chair, watching and laughing with her and Isaac as they danced to the radio. How she had this much energy at this time of the night, she did not know.

"You are an amazing dancer!"Isaac slurred sarcastically.

"Oh shut it! I am a-amazing!"she hiccuped, moving parts of her body every which way.

"What do you think Ced?"he cackled, as they both looked to Cedric.

However, Cedric seemed to have dosed off.

"Sad fuck! We better let him have his beauty sleep,"Isaac said, taking the last sip of his bottle.

"Should we wake him? Maybe move him?"she asked.

"You wanna try carrying that sack of weights? By all means,"he chuckled, putting down the empty bottle. "He'll be fine."

Athena obliged and she turned off the radio and chugged the last bit of her drink. Before following Isaac, she went over to Cedric and couldn't resist running her hand through his hair one more time.

They then left through the exit of the Hufflepuff common room. They were trying to be ever so quiet in the corridors, though Isaac tripped up as they were coming out of the passageway, almost plummeting onto the floor which made Athena snort with laughter.

"Shhhh! We're gonna get caught,"he said, drunkenly throwing his arm over her shoulders. She tried to assist him to not trip over again but he was rather too heavy to support. It got much harder when they were stumbling up the stairs.

"I need the loo,"she said as they passed the girls bathroom.

"Can't you go in the dorms?"he moaned.

"But it's right here,"she sighed, coming to a stop outside the bathroom.

"Fine, do you want me to wait?"he asked, looking slightly apprehensive.

"No no you go ahead. I'll be fine."

He nodded and continued to stumble down the corridor and she swung the bathroom door open.

Once finished in the toilet, she began making her way back to the dormitories when a sudden thought arose in her mind. Without knowing why, there was something she had to do.

Athena turned on her step, walking back the way she came, heading downstairs. She wasn't exactly sure what she was going to do or say but she ended up down in the dungeons, outside of the Slytherin common room.

'Now what?' she thought. 'Oh yes.'

"Pureblood" she whispered quietly. But nothing happened. She said it again, a bit louder this time.

"Pureblood," but again, nothing happened.

"What the fuck are you doing?"a shrill voice spat.

-

ninth chapter complete :)

get your seatbelts on...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

123K 2.4K 58
Elle Dawson and Draco Malfoy are sharing the same friend group, but that doesn't make them friends, not even close. Cedric Diggory, Elle's boyfriend...
8.5K 195 34
Draco Malfoy and Emma Dawlish attend Hogwarts: School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Emma is almost always a straight A student and she is forced to wo...
82.2K 1.5K 18
Your life before Hogwarts wasn't all that special. You watched your siblings practice magic and watched them go off to Hogwarts. Now, Ron Weasly, you...
70.1K 2.3K 49
(A Draco Malfoy x she/her Reader fanfiction) Your time as a Hufflepuff at Hogwarts and the Second Wizarding War is a few years behind you as you star...