The Girl who Survived (Fred...

By Mystic_sins

"You forget, I notice everything too" "I love you tulip" "You know you can be very sweet sometimes, and then... More

Authors note
Ch. 1 A day at the park
Ch. 2 A Wand and a Friend
Ch 3. Last Day of Summer Holiday
Author's Note
Ch 4. And so, It Began
Ch 5. Start as Friendships
Ch 6. The other Suitor
Ch 7. A Confession
CH 8. Gift of Knowledge
CH 9. The First Truth
CH 10. Collection
CH 11. Secrets
CH 12. Rumors Hurt
CH 13. The Black Dog
CH 14. First Holiday Away
CH 15. Confrontations
Authors note
CH 16. Coming Alive
CH 17. Blinded Visions
CH 18. The Truth about Padfoot, Moony and Wormtail
CH 19. The Do Over Day
CH 20. Some Kind of Ending
CH 21. The First Time
CH 22. A Different Type of Feeling
CH. 23 The Sound of Water
CH 24. A Very Weasley Summer
CH 25. Feelings Return
CH 26. The World Cup
CH 27. Back to school
CH 28. A New Defense
CH 29. The Goblet Has Spoken
CH 30. Technically the Truth
CH 31. Well Done Dragon
CH 32. Dates and Ball Gowns
CH 33. The Yule Ball PT. 1
CH 34. The Yule Ball Pt. 2
CH 35. The Black Lake
CH. 36 Visions or Dreams
CH 37. Sweater Weather
CH 38. Floating
CH 39. Biscotti and The Hogwarts March
CH. 40 Blinding
CH 41. Aftermath
CH 42 The Quiet That Follow
CH 43. Reading
CH 44. Future mornings
CH 45. Guardian
CH 47. Cutting Deep
CH 48. Trust
CH 49. Leftfield Conversations
CH 50. Strict
CH 51. Psychic Bonding
CH 52. Good Days Turned Banned
CH 53. Cunning
CH 54. Letters
CH 55. Occlumency
CH 56. Truths and Burns
CH 57. Awkward Memories
CH 58. A Very Giving Christmas
CH 58. Rhapsody
CH 59. The Last Party
CH 60. Patronus
CH 61. Smashing
CH 62. The First Act
CH 63. Reactions
CH 64. Family Matters
CH 65. Planning
CH 66. Unexpected
CH 67. Lilies
CH 68. The Last Minute
CH 69. A Long Road
CH 69.2 Wedding Night Short
CH 70. Leaving the Bubble
CH 71. The Secret Keeper
CH 72. The Secret Keepers Secrets
CH 73. Reaching out
CH 74. What If's
CH 75. A New Marauder
CH 76. A Reunion
CH. 77 An Invasion of Trust
CH 78. Incoming Rain
Remus Bonus Short
CH 79. Smell of Home
CH 80. Joy and Grief
CH 81. Similar Actions
CH 81. Returning
CH 83. Decisions
CH 84. Fear
CH 85. The Second Act
CH 86. Rubies on the Pitch
CH 87. Inferno
CH 88. Dumbledore's Truth
CH 89. Sectumsempra
CH 90. Plotting
CH 91. Clean
CH 92. The Astronomy Tower
CH 93. Turmoil
CH 94. A Realization
CH 95. Farewell
CH 96. Fight or Flight
CH 97. A Wedding
CH 98. An Arrangement
CH 99. Surviving
CH 100. A Blending of Realities
CH 101. Consequence for Humanity
CH 102. Heart to Heart
CH 103. Avalanche

CH 46. A New Year

2.3K 49 77
By Mystic_sins

~Elodie's POV~

All charges against Harry had been dropped, and we were on our way to school as usual. Only this time we were escorted by the Order. Remus was pushing my trunk cart in his subtle attempt to get me to walk beside Harry in the hopes we would talk and mend the gap that had grown between us. Except Harry was almost as comfortable walking in silence as I was. Though I didn't need to be psychic to know that there was tensions and confusion there.

            Harry hadn't brought up the letters he had sent me all summer, not that I'd be able to comment on them, they were still sealed and tucked away in my trunk barely touched. I didn't bring up the fact that I didn't know how to look at him without feeling pain. Pain for what he'd been through, for not being able to be the sister he needed, for being a stranger to him.

We were nearing the platform when I felt a brush at my legs in between Harry and me. It was Sirius in his animagus form.

            "Padfoot, are you barking mad?" Mad-Eye said angrily. "You'll blow the entire operation."

            I ran down the stairs with Harry directly behind me, and into an isolated room to see he had changed back to his human form.

            "Sirius what are you doing here?" Harry asked.

            "Honestly, if somebody sees you..." I began saying as Harry shut the door behind us.

            "I had to see you off, didn't I?" Sirius said as he waved for us to take a seat. "What's life without a little risk?"

            "I don't want to see you get shut back in Azkaban," I told him sternly as I took a seat behind him and Harry so there wouldn't be too much space between us.

            "No, don't worry about me," He said casually. "Anyway, I wanted the two of you to have this," He said as he handed Harry a folded photo. "Original Order of the Phoenix. Marlene McKinnon," He said as he pointed to one of the ladies in the group. "She was killed two weeks after this was taken. Voldemort wiped out her entire family. That's Frank and Alice Longbottom."

            "Neville's Parents," Harry said heavy heartedly.

            "They suffered a fate worse than death, if you ask me," Sirius said in a softer voice. "It's been fourteen years, and still a day doesn't go by, I don't miss your dad."

            I looked away and leaned back in my chair, so my head was resting against sirius gently. I looked up at the ceiling and closed my eyes. I could see my parents faces, forever frozen in their young beauty.

            "Do you really think there's going to be a war, Sirius?" Harry asked.

            "It feels like it did before," Sirius said, choosing his words carefully. It was still too soon to tell Harry everything. "I suppose you're the young ones now," He said as he looked at me and Harry. "Now I want you to take care of each other, and I'll see you on holiday."

            He hugged each of us properly before me left as he stayed behind with Mad-Eye. I hugged Tonks and promised to keep in touch to let her know how my practice was progressing. Remus handed over my tolly and gave me another reminder to write to him and Sirius. I'd miss the three of them most, and after we left to board the train, I just felt tired. They said I would feel better once I got to the castle and settled back into my room, and I really hoped they were right. Cause feeling numb wasn't as great as I thought it would be. Fred, George, and I found Lee in a carriage with Katie looking exceptionally loved up. Neither had seen Angelina or Alicia yet.

            "How was your holiday?" Alicia asked me once Lee and the twins started going on about all they had gotten done while we were away. Subtly, Fred looked at me through the corner of his eyes when she asked.

            "Quiet. But I was able to spend time with my Godfather so that was definitely helpful," I told her vaguely.

            "That's brilliant. I'm glad you were able to find some peace," she said gently. It was nice. If all interactions over the first few days went similar to this, it may not be so bad.

            Angelina and Alicia walked by, but that was just it. Alicia waved at us and looked like she was ready to come in, but when Angelina shot George a look through the window, they kept walking. I thought it was strange, and I realized that George hadn't talked about her all summer, so perhaps something happened there that gave her reason to give him the cold shoulder. Katie shared a confused look with me, indicating she didn't understand either. The worst-case scenario was that he hadn't written to her all holiday, but she wouldn't act like this if that were the case.

            "Anything off the trolly dear?" The trolley lady asked.

            "Can I have a packet of Drooble's and a box of Bertie Bott's please," Katie said as she took her money out of her pocket eyeing it realizing she didn't have enough. "Actually, just the Bertie Bott's."

            "It's alright, I got it," I told her as I reached into my pocket. "Can I also get a box of Bertie Bott's," I told her, handing over the money before taking my seat. Fred took the box from my hand as I went to sit down. "Hey, those are mine," I said in a sing-song voice.

            "Oh, are they?" He said as he stretched his arm up to hold them over his head. "Take them then," He said with a huge grin on his face.

            With a poke to his ribs he lowered his arm enough for me to snatch them from his hand. "You're so thick," I said jokingly.

            "You have no idea Potter," He said and quickly kissed my jaw.

            By the time we made it to Hogsmeade it was dark out. We walked a bit ahead of Harry and his friends. I'd decided to try and ease into things. I thought it would be better this way, maybe even speak with Minerva and Dumbledore once more. Something said between Fred and Lee had then quickly ahead of us with them trying to place each other into a headlock leaving George Katie and me together.

            "Just stay away from me!" I heard the sound of Harry's voice shouting.

            I turned around and saw Draco and his goons approaching. A creepy smile formed over his face as he caught me looking at him. I'd still been cordial with Draco, but it seemed he was irritating everyone else more and more.

            As they approached behind us in line for the carriages, I heard Crabbe and Goyle whistling and yelling "Ow!" it seemed as if they had graduated from drooling, to catcalling. How fantastic. Katie looked uncomfortable, while I only felt it. I wouldn't let them see me phased in any way.

            "Looking Good Potter," Goyle said as he eye-screwed me up and down.

            "Better than good," Crabbe said. I rolled my eyes and turned my attention to the carriage pulling up, and Fred and Lee returned to us.

            "Tell me Potter, how was it when you fell from Heaven?" Draco asked as he puffed up his chest when he stopped to stand next to me.

            "I wouldn't know," I said, not looking at him. "I came from Hell," I said and climbed into the Carriage.

***

            We all filed into the Great hall for the welcome feast. I sat between Fred and Nigel Wolpert who was very excited to see me and apparently had spent the summer reading as many of the muggle books I recommended to him as possible. Fred and George wanted to sit with the younger students to start talking up their products. Ginny and Angelina sat across from us next to Harry and Hermione playing friendly enough. Though I kept getting the feeling there was something more going on that I couldn't see yet.

            "Good evening children," Dumbledore said as he stepped up to the podium. "Now, we have two changes in staffing this year. We're pleased to welcome back Professor Grubby-Plank, who will be taking care of Magical Creatures while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave." I looked across at Harry and he looked just as confused as I was.

            "We also wish to welcome our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Delores Umbridge," He said and gestured to a woman dressed entirely head to toe in pink. She let out a high-pitched giggle which caused both Snape and Minerva to give her a not so friendly side eye. Oh, how Minerva would be in for a treat this year.

            "I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the professor good luck. As usual our caretaker, Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you—" Dumbledore continued before he was interrupted.

            "Ahem," Professor Umbridge said as she cleared her throat, too high pitched, and very rudely. The entirety of the room went quiet, even Professor Trelawney who usually continued eating through announcements froze stiffly. She rose to her feet and began walking over to the Podium.

            "She was at my hearing. She works for fudge," Harry said as he recognized the too pink woman.

            "Thank you, Headmaster, for those kind words of welcome. And how lovely to see all your bright, happy faces smiling up at me. I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends," She said as she addressed everyone.

            "That's likely," Fred and George said in unison, not hiding their volume. I looked over at both of them and felt my smile grow instantly.

            She tilted her head to the side, indicating that she more than likely heard them, but then she proceeded on. "The ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. Although each headmaster has brought something new to this historic school, Progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what must be preserved. Let us perfect, what can be perfected, and prune practices that ought to be prohibited," She said and ended her speech with an annoying giggle.

            "What a load of waffles," Ron whispered.

            "What's it mean?" Harry asked.

            "It means the ministry is interfering at Hogwarts," Hermione said.

            Fred and George opted not to do a big welcome back celebration this year in light or everything still being tense. Though Fred did make a case for why it would be perfect to lighten the mood, George and I were on the same side. Instead we all just spent time in the common room. Ron and Hermione showed the first years around as per their prefect duties. Katie showed me pictures she had taken on holiday with Lee. At one point they even ran into Dean Thomas and his family which was interesting. 

            Angelina and Alicia joined us after a while as if they hadn't been distant all night, but also not adding too much into the conversation other than a few words here or there. Things shifted when Harry walked in. like a dark cloud fell over the room. Everyone began whispering.

            "Dean, Seamus, good holiday?" Harry asked his friends, breaking the awkward tension in the room.

            "All right. Better than Seamus's anyway," Dean said lightly.

            Seamus threw his copy of The Daily Prophet on the table in front of him as he rose to be equal heights with Harry. Blimey, what mess had my brother made now that I'd have to help him clean it up?

            "Me mum didn't want me to come back this year," Seamus said loud enough for everyone to hear.

            "Why not?" Harry said.

            "Let me see, uh, because of you. The Daily Prophet's been saying a lot of things about you Harry. And about Dumbledore as well," Seamus said. I rolled my eyes and looked at George who was sitting on the arm of my chair. He didn't notice me; he was too busy watching Harry.

            "What and your mum believes them?" Harry said accusingly. He and Seamus were in the same class together and had always been friends. So, to be in an argument like this with him must be hard on Harry. Then I realized. It was almost as hard as being ignored by his only sister for months.

            "Well nobody was there the night Cedric Diggory died," Seamus spat at Harry.

            Instantly I felt my eyes shift and anger take over. It was like his name was a trigger word for me. I knew I hadn't actually dealt with everything that happened, but I thought I had passed this. Then again, I hadn't taken into account that anyone would say something like that. I didn't even want to use magic on him, no, I wanted to walk over and punch Seamus across his smug face. I locked eyes with Harry for a fraction of a second and then I felt Fred reach around George and place a hand on my shoulder.

            "Oh, well, I guess you should read the Prophet then, like your stupid mother. It'll tell you everything you need to know," Harry spat back.

            "Don't you dare talk about my mother like that," Seamus said defensively.

            "I'll have a go at anyone that calls me a liar," Harry announced before Ron walked in and broke up their dispute.

            "Has anyone else got a problem with Harry?" Ron asked as Harry left and went up the stairs, following after him not long after. It didn't go away. My eyes had shifted back, but the anger was still swirling in me.

            "You okay?" Katie whispered into my ear.

            And in a split-second decision, "Hey Seamus?" I called ignoring her.

            "Yea-" He began.

            I balled up my fist, making sure to keep my thumb on the outside like Cedric taught me when we were younger. In one follow through motion, my fist collided with his nose and punched him causing him to take a stumble back and quickly pinch his nose.

            "Bloody...What are you- you nearly broke my nose," He said frantically as his nose started bleeding.

            "Talk about Cedric again and I'll finish the job next time," I said and went up to speak to Harry. I need to end this. To face it head on and make things right.

            "Your girlfriends' crazy mate," Someone said, addressing Fred no doubt.

            "Yeah, but I like that," Fred's familiar voice responded.

            I went up the stairs and to the boy's dorms. I could hear a dying conversation coming from inside but was only able to catch the end of it. How could I tell him everything that was swirling around in my mind all summer? Everyone kept me so distracted I hadn't even worked it out myself.

            "I'll just leave you to your thoughts then," I heard Ron say as he left their room. He gave me a warning look, but I just gave him a small smile back. I nudged my head gesturing for him to go back downstairs with everyone else.

            I entered the room and looked at Harry rolling his neck. I closed the door behind me not wanting anyone to come in. I walked over to his window and took a seat. He didn't really meet my eyes as he looked at my face, he was just looking me over.

            "If you're here to tell me to apologize to Seamus-" he began but I held my hand up to stop him.

            "Mm, we're past that. I already took care of Seamus. I assume he's on his way to Madam Pomphrey's right about now to see about a possible broken nose," I told him as I shook my hand looking at my already swelling knuckles.

            "Right," He said and let out a little huff.

            "Harry about this summer," I began looking up to see that it was now him that was looking at his feet.

            "Did you read my letters?" He asked.

            "No," I told him honestly. "They're all still sealed in my trunk."

            "You-" He began again but I raised my hand once more.

            "Just let me speak please," I asked him. "I needed to leave, after it happened. I needed distance, to be alone. Because the thought of being here, listening to everyone, having everyone stare at me the way they did," I said as I looked down at my feet. "It was all too much. We don't have family other than each other, even then you didn't know me for a long time. But I always had him in my life. And that night, I lost him. But what made it unbearable was that the one person I was supposed to protect, was the one that watched him die. It shouldn't have been you. So, I couldn't talk to you, because every time I thought of you, I remembered that night. I'm not going to lie and say that I've worked it all out in my head, but I've lost too many people to push you away like that."

            "He really loved you, you know. He wanted to come back to you," He told me softly. The sadness in his eyes alone would have broken me. My little brother, in pain because of me.

            "I know. And he wouldn't want me to shut you out like I have," I said.

            "So, you're not angry? With me?" He asked me.

            "Oh, I'm angry. I think I'll always be angry. But not at you. I know better," I told him. "And when I'm ready, I'll read your letters if you still want me to. But I need to do it in my time. I can't be forced into any more corners," I stood and went to stand in front of him. "Harry," I said, and he finally looked in my eyes. "I love you. You're my little brother, and I will always love you, okay?" I said as I teared up at the sound of my voice breaking.

            He pulled me into a hug and whispered, "I love you too."

            I felt like I was finally able to breath. I took in a deep breath that reached the pit of my stomach, giving air to the parts of me that had been suffocating. Everything was going to be okay. Harry was mine, and I wouldn't let anything get in the way of the life that we deserved.

            I unpacked my belongings at my usual bed between Katie and Angelina. I didn't have it in me to confront Angelina tonight. On the brighter side, the sour look on her face had softened. Alicia was more neutral. More than likely taking Angelina's side because it looked like Katie was on mine. What we were on different sides over I had no idea. If things persisted much longer, I'd ask George if he had any idea so I could try and fix it.

***

            I began my first day of classes with Muggle studies and ended it with Divinations. Friday's and Wednesday's, I had Potions and Defense against the Dark Arts, in addition I met with other professors to arrange Independent study with Dumbledore's approval. It seemed easier to focus on schoolwork than it did anything else. Dumbledore told me to look at the good things that happened in my day. To make a little list and that after a while, things wouldn't be as hard to notice.

            I had Defense Against the Dark Arts with George while Fred, Alicia and Angelina were in Transfigurations. It was strange that Fred and George didn't have every class together, but if they were only separated for two classes they would survive. The first day of class with another new teacher seemed to be pretty ridiculous. In my opinion, Remus was the best D.A.D.A. teacher we'd had, but due to parents complains, he wouldn't be returning.

            When professor Umbridge walked in, she was one, late, and two, too perky for my liking. Minerva had done my school shopping without me, so it wasn't until the first day of classes that I noticed no one had been told which textbook we were learning from. With it being a N.E.W.T.s level class I'd figure it'd be something exceptionally girthy. However, Professor Umbridge instead issued everyone 'Dark Arts Defense: Basics for Beginners'.

            "Your previous instructions in the subject had been disturbingly uneven. But you will be pleased to know that you will instead be following a carefully structured ministry approved course of defensive magic," Umbridge said.

            In front of us Roger Davies raised his hand and said, "Excuse me Professor, but there seems to be a chapter missing on using nonverbal defensive spells?"

            "Using spells?" Umbridge chuckled. "Well I can't see any reason why you would need to use spells in my classroom."

            "So, we're not using any magic?" Adrian Pucey asked.

            "You will be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free manner," Umbridge answered.

            "Is this a joke?" I asked with a scoff as I shut the book in front of me.

            "I beg your pardon, Ms. Potter? But students will raise their hands if they wish to speak in my class," Umbridge said, in her annoying too high pitch voice.

            "This isn't a textbook, it's a children's coloring book," I told her letting my irritation come through. I didn't spend the last two years of my time in school with my nose in a book just to be shown pretty pictures of spells I was able to produce before I was 10.

            "It is a ministry approved text," Umbridge responded. "Perfectly suitable for teaching young wizards."

            "If this is what you plan on discussing all term, don't fool yourself into believing you have anything to teach me," I told her as the room went silent. I'll admit, I had been pretty off the rails lately. But what was the point in stay in this class if I could have taught it better.

            "Ms. Potter! You and your brother certainly have taken it upon yourselves to create a spectacle in my class and I will not stand for it," Umbridge responded growing angrier.

            "I know that I didn't spend the entirety of last term working like a mad woman to learn spells I've known since I was in nappies. When you teach a class that is deserving of my attention perhaps..." I said before I was rudely interrupted.

            "Enough!" She shouted. "Now, you will meet me in my office this week for detention," she said firmly.

            I slid the textbook away from me and leaned back in my chair ready to spend the hour dozing off. Perhaps if I asked Minerva and Dumbledore, I could take Alchemy as a class and this excuse for defense as an independent study.

            "Now I will not stand for insolence, disruptions or any talk of someone coming after children. There will be no talk of Mr. Cedric Diggory or the reasons behind his death," She said.

            I felt the shift in my eyes as the rage boiling inside of me was no longer able to be contained. My head snapped forward, staring at her, and without realizing what I was doing I felt my body moving, and a light from a lamp on her desk shattered. I felt George grab onto my arm to try and calm me down, it worked enough to pull me out of my shift, but not enough to calm me down. I grabbed my bag and stood to walk out the door as Umbridge turned back around to see me.

            "You will take your seat Ms. Potter, this instance," She said.

            "There's nothing for you to teach me. I have nothing to learn from you," I said as calmly as possible and walked out of the classroom without a second though.

            In my rage I was still able to keep in mind where I was going, other than just getting farther and farther away from the troll. Above me an owl zoomed by, more than likely passing a message between classrooms. She would know I was on my way.

            I peeked into Minerva's class and caught sight of the back of Fred and Lee's heads. Part of me felt bad for leaving George alone, but if I had to listen to her for another moment I'd surely say or do something that even Minerva couldn't fix. She looked over and saw me at the door and waved me in, while her class was taking notes from their text. I approached her desk at the front of the classroom and noticed she had a stern look on her face. She knew I didn't have a free period right now, and I had no reason to be walking around right now.

            "You're supposed to be in class with Professor Umbridge right now. Do you have a good excuse for why you happen to be here and not there? Or better yet an explanation for why you're shouting at professors?" She said to me fiercely as she set a piece of parchment on her desk.

            "So that's it? You're going to believe her word over mine?" I asked, laughing a bit. "She's already given me a week's detention, so you can spare me the lecture," I told her, no longer interested.

            A number of "Ooo's" came from those in her class that were watching us, I turned and caught Fred's eye. He was smiling at me, like he was proud of me for walking out of her class or for being so feisty lately.

            "Quiet," I Minerva responded. "Young lady, it is the first day, do use your common sense!" She said to me sternly. "I know I taught you better than to as she says, 'Call a noble piece of text a children's coloring book and claim there is nothing for you to learn.'" She said as she lifted the note and read it back to me no longer caring that she had a class in front of her.

            "What can I say? It's a slow day for sass talk," I said.

            "Young lady!" she said firmly. Can you give me a reason why I shouldn't give you another week worth of detention? And take away house points?" She asked me as another wave of whispers began which Minerva silenced with just one look.

            "She brought Cedric. And that he's very obviously dead. I'll be in your office," I said flatly as she looked at me in disbelief.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

114K 2.7K 90
"Whatever memories and moments define who you are or who you want to be, this one was among his." _ The second Sarah McCauley stepped over the thresh...
523K 14.7K 52
*WARNING! This book contains mature themes such as drinking, drug use, explicit language, mentions of suicide, sexual content, abuse, and more. Pleas...
60.9K 2.2K 7
Her entire 5th year at Hogwarts felt like a cauldron boiling perilously out of control, ready to explode at any given point. So when Hermione catches...
1.2K 104 9
❝freddie, focus on the letter. your grammar's atrocious.❞ ❝you know i can't focus when you sit so close to me.❞ arabella sayer is unusual. not quirky...