Calculatingly Wise

By TheQuietHufflepuff

Still recovering from a devastating loss, the pack must trek on as new threats surface. Feelings are admitte... More

Aesthetics
Playlist
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
Epilogue

25

193 1 2
By TheQuietHufflepuff

Scott went inside his house to talk to Liam and Stiles remained outside to work on his Jeep.

Eventually, Scott returned and Stiles turned to Scott and asked, "So, what did he want?"

"To help," he answered.

"You gonna let him?"

He shrugged. "Eventually, I guess."

"Okay, but shouldn't he be a little higher on your priority list right now? I mean, since he's the only other actual werewolf, your only actual Beta."

Scott shook his head. "You didn't see the way that he came at me. You didn't see the look in his eyes."

"Well, I've been with you on a full moon, so I've seen that look." Stiles let out a sigh before saying, "You want to get the band back together, Scott, you don't leave out the drummer."

The engine roared to life and Stiles pumped his fist into the air. "Success! Yes!"

Scott turned to see countless bottles of antifreeze in the back and Stiles glanced at him. "It's a minor leak. Very minor."

As they were driving, Scott let out a sigh. "Man, I think the Jeep's overheating again."

Stiles shrugged. "Probably."

"Should we pull over and put more antifreeze in it?"

Stiles shook my head. "No, we can just turn the heat on." He did so and went on to ask, "You find anything yet?"

Scott propped open a book. "They're mostly the same stuff you already knew. "Damnatio Memoriae was a Roman practice, a government decree to destroy the images of the damned. And they would scratch off their names from inscriptions, chisel their face off of statues. The Romans believed it was a punishment worse than death.""

"Being forgotten."

"Listen to this. "Damnatio Memoriae, was later used on a serial killer in 1598, known as the Demon Tailor. He lured children into his shop in Paris where he would kill them and boil the flesh off their bones to eat. The courts believed the crimes so horrible, they ordered all the documents destroyed. To this day, no one knows his real name."

"So the Dread Doctors resurrected a killer who was so bad that he had to literally be erased from history. A killer that became a werewolf. Which probably made him a better killer. That's great."

"Stiles, I can smell your fear and concern. We'll get Lydia and Tessa back. Trust me."

"I know we will. I'm just worried y'know? I just... Tessa was in the wrong place at the wrong time. She never should've gotten taken."

"No, she shouldn't have. But she's smart enough to find a way out."

The Jeep sputtered, slowly coming to a stop. "What's happening?" Scott asked.

"Um... Yeah, we're out of gas. It's out of gas," Stiles replied.

He frowned and looked at the gauge. "It says we have half a tank."

"Yeah, not necessarily."

"You didn't fix the gas gauge, didn't you?"

"Not necessarily."

---

In their dream, the girls walked up to Valack's old cell. "Do you know how he did it?" Meredith asked.

"He put the recorder in the cup to amplify Lydia's voice," Tessa remembered.

Meredith shook her head and looked at Lydia. "It didn't just amplify your voice. It gave it direction. Focus. Valack used your screams as a tool focusing it. If you're going to use it as a weapon, you need to learn to do the same."

"Same..." Lydia repeated as her scream resounded over the recorder, causing the glass to shatter.

---

Stiles pulled up to a gas station only to find it closed. "Locked." Scott broke the chain and Stiles asked, "You got a twenty?"

Scott gave his friend a twenty and he started filling up the Jeep. As Stiles filled up the Jeep, he began telling him about what had happened with Donovan. "There was a pin. There was one little metal pin attached to the scaffolding. He was trying to pull me down."

"He was trying to kill you."

Stiles nodded. "Yes, and then I pulled the pin. And all these metal braces came down. And one of them just, just went right through him."

"Why didn't you think you could tell me or Tessa?"

Stiles let out a sigh. "It was just the way you were looking at me that night. You know, you're standing there with a wrench, you're looking at me like I just bashed you in the head with it. You know, like I'd broken your sacred rule and that's it, no going back."

"I know the difference."

"What?"

"I know what self-defense is."

Stiles relaxed, visibly relieved, and walked back to the Jeep.

---

Lydia and Tessa's dream took them to the school. "Our names are gone," Lydia said. "Our initials."

Meredith shook her head. "Not just you and your friends. Everyone."

"What are we supposed to do? How do we save them?" Tessa asked, annoyed that she couldn't figure it out.

"Don't be afraid."

The girls saw Theo holding Meredith down by her throat. He bent her neck back and slashed her throat, causing the Banshee and the demigoddess to scream, "No, don't!"

Back in their cell, a light blew out. "What the hell was that?" Nurse Cross asked.

"Did you hear that?" Dr. Schrader questioned.

"It came from Lydia and Tessa's room."

"What did you hear? What was it exactly?"

"I heard a kind of explosion."

"Before that," Nurse Cross said impatiently. "You know what I mean."

"A scream. I thought I heard her scream."

---

Stiles glanced to see that Scott had fallen asleep. He saw a massive storm brewing over the mountain complete with lightning and rolling clouds. "Hey, Scott. Scott. Take a look at this."

Scott woke and looked around outside. "What the hell do you think's happening out there?" Stiles wondered.

Scott shook his head. Stiles pressed down on the gas, making the car accelerate. Once they reached the top, we got out of the Jeep and stood outside.

Scott turned to his friend. "I don't know why I believed him. I don't know why we didn't just keep talking that night. Five more minutes and we would've figured out that there were two different stories. We would've filled a lot of blanks. Should've kept talking."

"He knew we wouldn't."

Scott sighed. "I didn't want it to happen like this."

"Like what?"

"I knew, sooner or later, one of us was going to get a little too much blood on our hands. I had thought it was going to be Malia."

"Well, she definitely seems like she's working on it."

"Just always thought that if it were to happen, then it should be me. I'm the one who's constantly putting you guys in danger, risking your lives for people you don't even know. It should've been me."

Stiles placed a hand on Scott's shoulder. "Come on. We only got a few hours to sunrise. Come on. Let's go."

The boys heard a sword clanging and Scott pointed to a figure fighting. "Hey, Stiles. Do you see that? It's Kira."

They drove up to where Kira was fighting. Scott rolled out of the Jeep still moving, and growled at the Skinwalkers. Stiles urged everyone out of the Jeep as a Skinwalker threw a spear, but Noshiko took Kira's sword, and split the spear, causing it to fall harmlessly to the ground. "Get in!" Stiles yelled. "Come on. Come on, come on. Let's go. Come on, come on, come on." When everyone was in, Stiles asked, "Everyone okay?"

Kira and Scott began kissing. "You came back for me. I love you. I love you so much."

Stiles glanced away, not needing a reminder of the girl he loved wrongly locked up in the institution.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

203K 3.6K 102
Nicolette Hamilton, the seemingly reckless orphan Melissa McCall took in, daughter of Poseidon, returns to her hometown of Beacon Hills, California a...
3.1K 57 18
Lindsey Dunbar's journey in the supernatural world continues. New relationships and enemies arise. And not everything is like it seems. Will they be...
13.3K 269 13
Under heavy editing!
12.5K 284 38
Kya Hansen was invisible to all but one. Her rambling spaz she liked to call him. Six years before, she had died and was left wandering aimlessly. U...