✧The Earthe of the Elves✧

By StoriesbyAvery

"Upstairs!" I hear a yell and pounding footsteps. I crawl out of the window until I'm hanging from my hands... More

Note + aesthetics
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60- Epilogue
3 & 4 - Knox
17 - Knox
28- Knox
30 - Knox
59 - Knox
Extra chapter:)

8

214 8 5
By StoriesbyAvery

Mia's POV

--------------------

My dads favorite color was green.

Since he left when I was so young, I only have a few vivid memories of him. One is this.

We're walking down the path behind our house leading to the river. Just us.

"It's so pretty," I had said in that little kid voice I used to have. My dad smiled at me with the biggest smile, the kindest eyes.

"That's why my favorite color is green. It reminds me of nature, how beautiful the natural world is, the one untouched by us." His eyes got far away then, like he was thinking really deep.

"Life is so beautiful, we never want to take little moments like this for granted. You're going to grow up with this safe place in your backyard, Mia. Stay connected with nature, it's where we came from and where we will end up."

At the time I had just nodded, only grasping the idea that his favorite color was green and I thought that was cool. Now, as the memory plays out in my dreams, I understand that he meant so much more. It makes me wonder what his life was like before me and mom.

And why someone with such kind eyes would leave his little girl.

-

Consciousness slowly spreads through my body. I stretch, keeping my eyes closed. Just another minute, then I'll get up.

I doze off again.

Sleep finally fades out of my system, leaving me laying in my bed with my eyes closed, loving how soft and silky the sheets feel as I stretch out, sighing into my pillow. Hopefully mom made her classic buttermilk pancakes, I'm really in the mood for those right about now.

My room is still dark when I sit up, due to the curtains covering the windows-

Wait.

For a fleeting second, I had forgotten that this was real. For a second all of yesterdays events seemed like a long, painful dream. Like the adventure I so desperately craved back home had come true in the form of a dream.

Well, it's not a dream I guess. And this adventure is a hell of a lot scarier than the books make it seem. Instead of the tidal wave of memories that should come crashing through my brain, the events of yesterday seem to sink in gently, like my brain used all night to sort things out- now I'm just aware of how sorted all my thoughts are. I feel more at peace with yesterday, so that's good.

The wooden floor is actually a bit warm when I touch my feet to it, pushing myself off of the mattress that I just want to lie in all day. My eyes are still foggy from sleep, so I rub them gently with the collar of my tank top. Going to open the curtains to the windows, I groan as my feet hurt with each step I take. Hopefully this is only a morning thing. Grabbing onto the wool curtains I pull them open. My eyes immediately squint at the light that floods my room, and it takes a moment before I can pry an eye open and look outside.

It looks like I'm about two stories up, high enough to be able to see everyone strolling around the paths for... A while. If I had to guess, I would say I can see at least a mile under the treeline. Which is crazy. I should not be able to see that far, especially considering the ground is foggy as snow falls lazily to the ground. It's a beautiful sight though. Seeing all the trees in daytime is just as pretty as seeing them at night, and this time I can see everything clearer, including all the people walking around. It reminds me of those little winter wonderland villages you buy at the store and set up. Except there are huge trees instead of ceramic cottages.

After a surprisingly nice, hot shower, I brush out my  lightening hair, not even grumbling at my ears, which have gotten even pointier than they were yesterday. Pointy ears is on my 'shit I don't have time or energy to worry about right now' list.

Turns out the drawers under the sink hold all the toiletries I need. A toothbrush made out of some natural material I don't know, along with a tube of toothpaste. It's not a plastic tube, but I'm not sure what material it is. The toothpaste itself is thick and a light green shade. I expect it to taste gross, but once I got it in my mouth it actually tasted like a mint leaf. Pleasant.

There is no clock in my room, or anywhere that I've seen. So I don't know how- MY PHONE! Never have I been more excited about my phone. I had completely forgotten that I zipped it into my jacket pocket before I jumped out of my house. Rushing over to the closet where I hung it, I pull out it out, delighted that it's somehow fully charged. More magic..? When it lights up I can't help but feel a rush of excitement. The clock reads 10:30 am. I press my thumb to the home button to open it, and it does. Thank god. But when I try to open messages to send my mom or Lizzie a message saying I'm okay, an error message pops up. Same with every other app I try. Okay, so I guess you don't get service in alternate universes. My heart sinks a little at the knowledge. I want to be able to talk to my mom, but there's nothing I can do about that right now. So instead I choose an outfit.

First I layer on the winter underlayers, which consist of a warm pair of pants and a quarter sleeve shirt. Next I open my wardrobe to pick out a dress. Pushing dress by dress aside, I take them all in, feeling over the incredibly soft fabric. I eventually choose a cream colored dress with long sleeves and light green accents, a style I swear I've seen in some royalty Netflix show. Let me tell you, it's damn pretty.

After putting my shoes on I head to the bathroom and pull out a drawer under the sink I didn't see before. I gasp when I see my deodorant and perfume inside. The stuff from my house. Woah. How...? Ok, it doesn't matter, it's here. I grab it eagerly.

-

Sunlight shines through the windows as I walk down the hallway leading to the stairs. I think this is the way to get back to the throne room..? I wasn't told where to go, but somehow I know exactly where to go and how to get there. It's a super weird feeling, one that has me looking around to make sure nobody is following me or guiding me somehow.

Lifting up the front of my dress, I head down the last set of stairs, giving a polite smile to the guards who stand in front of the door to the throne room. They nod and open the doors for me, allowing me to see the room in all its daylight glory.

The fire-torches are still glowing, and the sunlight streaming in from the windows catches on the crystal chandelier, sending shards of rainbow light across the room. The queen is sitting on her throne, wearing a brown dress. You would think brown would look ugly, but that, paired with the green accents and natural feel makes her look even more regal. Knox is sitting on the smaller throne, with no crown, which was not what I was expecting from a prince. Actually, he looks normal. Or, as normal as you can get here. He's wearing a black tunic, similar style to yesterday's, but with gold accents and details, black pants, leather boots, and the same leather arm cuffs. His hair looks perfect, in the same braiding that it was yesterday. What's funny is how he is almost slouched on the throne, as if he was just sprawled over it but decided to sit up when the doors opened. Judging by his mothers small, amused smile, I would say I'm right.

I smile at them as I walk up, trying not to be intimidated when the Queen's gaze turns to me, or how Knox turns to watch me walk up. I'm screaming inside my head to get to the Dias already, but manage to keep a steady pace, stopping in front of them.

"Morning," I say quietly, clasping my hands behind my back because I'm afraid if I don't they'll end up all over the place, seeing as when I'm nervous I fiddle with my clothes.... Basically I twiddle my thumbs.

"Good morning," Knox replies with his mother, giving me a polite smile. Even saying 'good morning' sounds smooth and graceful when they say it, like they have an accent. That accent would be sophisticatedness and elegance, like the words roll off of their tongue as smoothly as they walk. Which is really smooth, by the way. I guess elves are just perfect.

"Did you sleep well?" Rose asks, standing up to her full height. Knox follows suit, walking after his mother as she steps down from her throne and heads to the left, motioning me to follow.

"Yes, thank you."

I go to follow them, and Knox gives me an 'after you' reference with his hand, quirking an eyebrow up. I let out a quite laugh and a 'thanks' before walking ahead of him. Even though I've only known him a day, it feels oddly like I've known him for a long time. I don't know. Maybe he's  just one of those people that I click with. That would be cool.

We enter a kitchen through the doorway. Knox informs me that this is their private dining space, and there is a bigger dining room in a different part of the Castle. Since this is where the royalty have always lived, he tells me, everyone calls this giant tree 'The Castle.'

The room has one long wood table and 6 carved, comfortable looking chairs surrounding it. There is a light fixture hanging over the table that looks to be made out of twisting green branches. There are two large windows providing a view of a section of regular forest stretching out for a long way- maybe a mile or two. Other than that the room is pretty simple. unless you count the walls which, like a few other rooms, don't have sharp angles or crown molding like houses on Earth. These walls seem to connect to the floor, having a slight curve from the floor to the wall, like it was carved out.

Once we're seated- Rose at the end chair, me on the side, and Knox across from me- an elf with red hair comes in and places a large bowl of fruit in the center of the table, a plate of blueberry muffins, and one bowl of oatmeal in front of me along with a plate and spoon to get fruit. I thank them, piling my plate with fruit before eating. After my first few strawberries I realize Knox and his mom aren't eating.

"We already had breakfast," Rose fills in as she notices me pause, "you slept in."

"Oh yeah." So I take a couple bites of oatmeal, not realizing until now how hungry I am. Knox spoons some fruit onto a plate, popping a blueberry in his mouth. A sudden wave of anxiety hits me as I gather the courage to ask my question. Or questions. Multiple.

"So," I say around a bite of a blueberry muffin, "If you don't mind, I have... a lot of questions."

"Of course, that's why we had you come in here and not in the public dining hall." Rose smiles kindly at me and nods, a signal to go on and ask my question. My mind races as I open my mouth. And absolutely nothing comes out. I have so many questions I have no clue where to start.

Knox must notice, because he suggests for me to start from the beginning. I nod, thinking back to yesterday when the men came into my house. It feels like a lifetime ago. First, though, I think I should get to know elves better.

"Well, first. Why was I able to walk on snow? And why is everyone's hair long? Is it true that elves live forever?"

Rose sits patiently while I get my questions out before turning to Knox for him to answer.

"You were able to walk on snow because that one of Elves' traits. We are all born with natural strength, agility, and balance. Hence the people swinging from trees. We might not look it, but we're much stronger than humans. We also acquire things like acute hearing and sight. We can hear and see better than any human, and most animals. As well as being lightweight, and magical, enough to walk on snow.""

"Ok..." It takes a second for that information to sink in, but once it does I repeat my other question.

"Why does everyone have long hair?"

"It's just... Part of who we are. I suppose it's a custom here, part of our culture. Plus, the magic of this place just makes our hair grow faster and stay healthy, so we just keep it."

I nod, finishing off my breakfast, satisfied. Resting my hands on the table, yet another question pops up.

"And what's with all the wood? I noticed there isn't any metal here."

"Ah, yes. Elves have always been, and will always be, close to nature. We value what the Earthe gives us naturally, so we use all natural materials for everything. And we don't kill animals. All elves don't eat meat or eggs, anything like that. We have milk, but we always get it in the most peaceful way possible. We like to stay connected to our foundation, considering that's where we go when we die."

More deja-vu hits me at her words, though my mind is having trouble connecting to where I've heard that before.

"What about the fur on my cloak?" I ask, remembering back to last night. Knox nods, then answers, "that is from an animal that has passed on. We only ever take things like that from animals that are no longer alive."

The mention of alive brings me back to a previous question.

"So is it true that elves live forever?"

Knox chuckles, causing my cheeks to turn pink briefly. Was that a stupid question?

"No, we don't, contrary to human myths. The typical elf can live up to 10,000 years, though. We can also die at any age- we can be killed, I mean. Age is different here, of course. A 1,000 year old elf, for instance, is young here."

10,000 years?! For some reason, I think living forever would make more sense to me. Looking over at Knox's perfectly smooth skin and young face, and his mother, who looks about 35 but with no wrinkles or anything remotely aging, I can't help but wonder.

"Are you...?" I refer to Knox, hoping he'll understand. Rose beams, holding in a laugh. Knox smiles.

"No, I'm actually eighteen years old, like you. My mom, though, is about 500 years old. We are considered very young compared to how long most live."

"Will I live long too?"

Knox leans across the table a bit, his gaze roaming my face. Not that I'm extremely uncomfortable, but I'm starting to get a little hot in all my winter layers.

"I think so," he says as he leans back. "Your face is starting to clear, which is usually the sign in halfbloods that you've received that gene."

"Clear?" I grab my spoon from the fruit and look into it, noticing that the acne I had yesterday is almost completely gone, along with under eye bags and red splotches.

"Woah," I breath, a small smile playing on my lips. If being an elf means I get clear skin forever, sign me up!

Suddenly I'm aware of how  many questions I'm asking, and how much information I'm receiving. I look down at the wavy wood patterns in the table, absorbing all this new information. My mind, however, can't stop thinking of my biggest concern right now. So I ask.

"So... Who- Who were those guys with black clothes that were- uh- I don't know. What did they want with me?"

Rose answers. "Those men were from the Cin clan. They are the... evil elf clan, to put it simply- or to put it how humans would. They live on basically the other side of Earthe. They, unlike us, were corrupted by power and magic. From rumors going around, they are trying to regain the power they lost at the Battle of Earthe, a battle that happened about 12 years ago."

"So how would they do that? What do I have to do with it?"

"Well, here is what we think. The Cin want the Heartstone. The Heartstone is a very powerful stone that fuels all of Earthe's magic. It was made long ago, and the Cin think that if they can get the stone, they could use its power to take over Earth and Earthe. They need you because they think you will be able to lead them to it."

"How could I lead them to it?"

"Because your father made it."

That little bit of information has my lips parting in shock. How long ago? How old was my dad?!

"Tell me about him- please," I correct, getting nervous with the thought of learning about my dad. A side of him I never knew. "How old was he? How did he meet my mom? Do I have other family here? Is he here?"

"Your father grew up in this city, actually," Rose reminisces,  "He met your mother when he was in Earth to check up on it, as we do every year. He met her, and fell in love with her- which, mind you, is extremely rare. To fall in love with a human. But anyway, your father kept his elf heritage from your mom, to let you have a normal childhood. Keep in mind, Mia, he loved you and your mother very much. So, he cut his hair to look more human, and used magic to hide his elf ears. He lived on Earth, but came to Earthe as his 'job.' He, to answer your other question, was 400 before you were born. Very young for an elf. And a king."

"I'm sorry, king?" The word sounds weird in my mouth, especially next to my dad.

"Yes. Your father was the King of Earthe before me."

I stare at her, surprised beyond surprise. "So does that mean I'm..."

Rose catches on. "Yes, technically that makes you a Princess. Even though he's no longer king, I was only elected, so... it's just some old elf rule but yes, you were a princess."

I almost laugh at the idea, but Rose continues talking.

"He was king up until 12 years ago. He, like a true noble king, fought side by side with our warriors during the Battle of Earthe..." She trails off and looks up at me sadly. From across the table I see that Knox's gaze is down at the table, his head bowed. Dread pools in my stomach.

"What happened?" I ask the dreaded question, locking eyes with Rose. She swallows, takes a deep breath, and answers.

"He was killed in the battle. That's why he never came back to you."

—————————————————————————

Sorry this chapter was so long, but it kinda had to be.
If you guys could go to Earthe, what would be your go-to outfit? I love imagining myself wearing the stuff they do on Earthe:,)
Here are some examples I found on Pinterest that scream Earthe to me:

-Avery<3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

85.5K 3.9K 71
"Just because we win the war doesn't mean we don't lose everything in the process." - Joey Magnom --------- Practically everyone dreams of having sup...
135 22 25
For over a hundred years, humanity has lived in fear of the monsters that roam the streets, lurking in the drains below. Women and their daughters hi...
594 56 18
Book One is finally complete, please look forward to Book Two, The Chronicles of Arnora: The Zemorian Invasion! Thousands of years ago there was a gr...
11.9K 742 39
Born an elf into a world where elves are hunted and killed, twenty-two year old Faeda fears she may be the last of her kind. Hiding amongst those who...