Twisties

By Wikitiki16

Twins Tara and Tatiana Wynne are living in the infamous Southern Gardens. Despite being rampant with poverty... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17

Chapter 16

5 1 0
By Wikitiki16

Chapter 16

Tatiana

I never asked Les why he didn't come to my party. It's not like it really mattered, but I thought boyfriends were supposed to do things like that. Maybe we were so progressive that we weren't obligated to do stuff like that. Even so, I was still curious.

We talked on the phone the day after like everything was normal. We sent memes to each other, talked about video games, the same old shit. Yet something was wrong. I felt like the air around us was suffocating and it made me antsy. I couldn't enjoy doing homework.

So I called Les and asked if he wanted to hang out. He was enthusiastic over the phone, saying he felt like he hadn't seen me in a while and missed me. For a brief second, there was a pause. I was suspicious, but said fuck it and told him I would be over after work.

Next Saturday came and I stood on Les' front porch, waiting for someone to answer the door. I wiped my hands on my pants, not liking the clammy feeling.

A few seconds later, Les' mom opened the door. "Oh! Tatiana, how are you?" She sounded surprised.

"Hello Mrs. Jameson, I'm doing good. How are you?" I asked.

"Not too bad. I was just cooking." She frowned a little. "If I would've known you were coming..."

I cut her off, but gave her a smile that I hoped looked reassuring. "It's okay, please don't worry about it."

She stared at me for a few seconds before smiling. "Thank you dear. I'll go get Leicester." She was about to leave when Les appeared in the doorway, breathing hard.

"Sorry mom, I was in the middle of a match." Mrs. Jameson shook her head before walking back to the kitchen. "Hi babe, sorry about that."

"You're fine." I followed him into the house. From the kitchen, I could hear Mrs. Jameson talking, so I assumed with dread that Mr. Jameson was home. I really didn't feel like seeing him, but I couldn't just throw away good upbringing.

Quickly, I stuck my head through the kitchen doorway and waved at him. He must've just gotten home from work because he was wearing a full suit. "Hello Mr. Jameson, how are you?"

He nodded stoically. "I'm fine, thank you."

I gave a small smile before I left. I let out a sigh when we got to Les' room. He shut the door behind us before he plopped on the bed. He patted a spot next to him, waiting for me to come sit. Happily I obliged, taking comfort in his body heat. It had been a little chilly tonight and I felt foolish for not bringing a heavier coat.

Les grabbed the Ps4 controller and started a game. "So, what's up?" He asked, eyes focused on the screen.

I sighed before letting my body fall onto the bed. "Not much, I guess. Feel like shit."

"Oh?" He said intrigued. "Are you pregnant?"

I sneered before I tossed a pillow at his head. "Yeah right. Unless I've been ghost fucked."

"Or tentacle fucked," he said, shrugging his shoulders.

My face scrunched up. "You are so disgusting. Ugh. Please lay off the hentai."

He chuckled. "Alright, alright. Why do you feel like shit though?"

I sighed again. "I don't know Les. I guess it's about my mom. She made a painting of us. It was beautiful but I don't know. I'm feeling weird about it. And then she sends letters too. You remember me talking about it right?"

Les nodded, flinching as his character was attacked. "Yeah. You said she would say she misses you, but you feel like you don't know her."

"Yeah, exactly. And I feel bad for Grandpa too. He tries so hard to get us to build a relationship with her, but I'm not ready. Tara's worse though. She gets angry and lashes out."

"Yeah, sounds like your sister," he said rolling his eyes.

"Can you blame her?" Tara is more emotional than I am, but that wasn't her fault. Everyone dealt with their feelings differently and Tara definitely had some heavy baggage when it came to our mother, rightfully so.

"Yes," said Les confidently. "She's such a brat."

I got defensive. "She can be at times, but it's not like that for everything. You don't even know her well. You met her once."

Les sighed and put down his controller. "Just based on the single interaction with your sister and what you have told me, I can tell she's freaking stupid, useless, selfish, promiscuous, and a waste of space. Her clothes also leave little for the imagination." He sounded like such a snot when he spoke, as if he was an expert. For someone that only met her once, he had such a strong opinion on her. It was unnerving.

"Tara is my sister. She isn't your girlfriend or anything, so why does it matter to you what she wears?"

"I just don't want to associate with those kinds of people," Les shot back.

"What-" I cut myself off, waiting for my brain to play catch up. I looked at him strangely. "What do you mean by "those kinds of people?"

Les glared at me. "Seriously Tatiana? Are you trying to say I'm racist now?"

I threw my hands up in frustration. "Uh, no! I was asking what you meant by those people. What is my sister classified as when you say, 'those people?'

Les' game was long forgotten. "Trash. She's just trashy people Tatiana and I know that's your family, but I don't want her part of our lives in the future."

I was flabbergasted. I struggled to form words. "So...what am I supposed to do? Just ignore my sister's existence? Find a new family?"

My frustration kept rising with each thing Les said and my original plan to avoid arguing went out the window.

"Well I don't know, maybe you could live with me!" Irritation flashed through me, annoyed that Les could make jokes when I was already so pissed. Yet he dead stared at me, his face firm.

My mouth dropped open. "Are you serious?"

Les hesitated before speaking. "Well yeah in a way. I could convince my parents. I already talked to my mom about it. They would love to sponsor someone from Southern Gardens. We'd just have to convince my dad, but you could go to a private school, get into Harvard or Yale. You're smart enough! Your grandfather would-"

I held up a hand to stop him. "My grandfather would what? Willingly send me away? You don't even know him! Why are you assuming this wild ass shit?"

Les looked surprised. "Look at where you live. There's nothing there. Education, jobs, it's all shitty. I'm here giving you a chance to be different. And I know if we go about it the right way, my dad will invest in your future. It's a great opportunity."

I shook my head in disbelief. "I don't want any part of it."

"Tatiana." Les grabbed my hand and squeezed. "I just want to help you. That's all."

"Help me with what? Charity? When did I ever tell you I needed your help Leicester?" My gaze was piercing. Les squirmed in discomfort.

"I- you're my girlfriend. I just want the best for you! I want you to have what I have, surround you with good people. I hate seeing you live like this." His words sounded sweet but I couldn't shake the undertone of pity.

Suddenly it hit me. I stared at him. "Why didn't you come to my birthday party?"

For a second, he was silent. "What does that have to do with anything?" He said, arms thrown up in frustration.

"Why didn't you come to my birthday party?" I repeated, agitation in my voice.

He was at a loss. I felt I was getting somewhere now. Les sighed deeply. "Well I was doing something else that day. My parents wanted me to go to this thing with them and you know I can't say no to my dad..." he trailed off.

I spoke slowly. "They knew my birthday was coming up though."

Les shrugged his shoulders. "I guess my dad thought that wasn't as important..."

I shook my head slowly. With the talking in circles and confusing statements, I was finally able to decipher whatever the hell was going on. I jabbed a finger into his chest. Anger radiated throughout my every pore.

"You didn't go to my party because of where I'm from. It's too 'trashy' for you, right?"

Les tried to talk, but I cut him off, poking my finger harder into him. "Don't you even." I continued. "I know your parents don't like me. You would have to be a fucking imbecile to not see that. But as your GIRLFRIEND, I'm supposed to put up with shit like that because I love you."

I started to get worked up and I felt the pressure build behind my eyes, but I would hold this shit in. He didn't deserve to see that.

"But instead of standing up for me, you hatched this plan to turn me into something more suitable for your parent's liking." I laughed. "I thought I was in a relationship with you but it seems like I'm going to be fucking the entire Jameson family huh?"

Les looked horrified. I was channeling my sister at the moment, unabashedly crude.

"Where I'm from is a part of me, but it doesn't mean I'm going to become a product of my environment."

Les was silent for a minute before suddenly shouting. "People get shot there Tatiana! What did you want me to do?"

I looked at him in disgust. "Are you freaking kidding me? That's your excuse?"

"Well I'm sorry I just don't want to die. My parents and I, we see that shit all the time on the news. People are just dropping like flies. No one wants to go in that war zone."

Wow. For someone who's only been to Southern Gardens once, he sure knew everything about it.

I shook my head, chuckling. "You're kind of a pussy, you know that right?"

He ignored that and tried to comfort me. "Okay okay, look, I'm sorry. I'm just scared, and I want my parents to love you. Like I love you."

Oh Les. I was past being consoled and wasn't in the mood for sweet words. "You don't love me Leicester. Because if you truly did, you would love all of me." The color drained from his face and filled with anguish. Tara would be proud. I was hitting Les with low blows that belonged in a romantic comedy drama. Except, this wasn't a movie, we weren't actors, and I was actually really fucking hurt. I had enough of feeling tonight and I knew it was time to go. Without saying anything, I walked towards the door.

"Wait, where are you going?" Asked Les.

I looked at him like he was dumb. "Home."

Concern washed over his face and he grabbed my arm. "It's too late for you to be walking around."

I nearly threw up, but I settled for a laugh instead. "Oh, now you want to say something about that? Where were you all the other times I had to walk through Southern Gardens at night?" I rolled my eyes and snatched myself away. How annoying. Without waiting for a reply, I left.

I was really regretting not getting a thicker coat. It was even colder now and since buses stopped running at 10, I had no choice but to walk. I was too cheap to get an Uber and from Northern Gardens to Southern, it would probably be at least a $30 ride. I had to pay my phone bill this week. I started my journey home, estimating it would probably take an hour. Thank god Grandpa was working. Worrying wasn't good for his blood pressure.

I had walked for about 30 minutes. It was still cold, but I kept my mind off of it and Les by solving some equations in my head cause you know, I loved math.

I sighed, seeing that it was only 10:50. I still had a ways to go before getting home. As I passed a closed gas station, a scream bubbled up from my throat when someone grabbed me from behind.

I lunged forward, but was yanked back by my hair. I screamed my lungs out, even when they placed a blindfold over my eyes, I just kept on struggling. I heard the screech of tires nearby before I was picked up like a sack of potatoes and thrown into a car.

I whimpered loudly, petrified and confused. A sharp pain came across my cheek.

"Put a gag in her," I heard a voice say. I tried to wiggle around in the person's arms, but they just tightened their grip around my body. Someone else roughly pried my mouth open before stuffing a cloth in it.

Someone gave a low whistle. "Man, is this what Deon be having around him? Where do he find these girls?" I froze when I heard the name. Deon? Tara's boyfriend? Why the hell were they talking about him!

"Aye, quit playing man. We ain't here to get pussy," said another voice. "I want Deon on the phone now. Or message him on Facebook, I don't give a shit."

Something wasn't right here. This shit was planned and it had something to do with Deon, which meant it was related to Tara.

My body went rigid. Wait. This was about Tara. These people thought I was her! Fuck! And I had to be the one to get taken.

"Uh, yo. Check this out. It's the girl's profile."

"What's up?"

There was silence in the car. I heard someone utter "Fuck".

The guy holding me gave me a shake. "Aye, you a twin?"

I hesitated for a minute. I had to think this through. If I lied, Tara would end up calling the police once I didn't come home tonight, but I doubt they would get to me. If I told the truth, then they could go after Tara too and both of us would be caught. And if they found out I lied, they would get mad. Maybe even kill me. I was rattled, but I knew what I had to do.

I nodded my head vigorously.

Someone sucked their teeth, while others sighed, sounding exasperated. "We got the wrong one."

There was a brief silence before someone else spoke up.

"Nah, we're good. I got an idea."

🌸

Tara

I was wrong about my sister. I thought she would wait until she got married to lose her virginity, but I guess that wasn't the case tonight. She went out to see Leslie a while ago, but it was going on midnight soon and she still wasn't home. Which meant my girl was probably getting some!

At the same time since it was Leslie, I couldn't be 100% happy. I'd rather she save it for someone worthy, but who was I to decide that stuff for her?

From my pillow, my phone buzzed with a text. I picked it up, thinking it was probably from Deon, but it turned out to be Tati. I opened the message, seeing that she only wrote my name.

Confused I type back: 'Yeah? What's up?'

I froze. 'We got your sister. Tell Deon we want $1500 before the morning. No cops' was the reply.

I jumped into action. I ordered an Uber, threw on some sweats, and grabbed the pocket knife I kept hidden under my mattress. My Uber was only five minutes away, so I dialed Deon's number, anxiously waiting for him to pick up.

"Missed me?" He answered the phone.

"Deon, I got a big fucking problem." I wasted no time with greetings.

"What's wrong?"

I shouted into the phone. "Some sick fucks got my sister. I think they may have thought she was me and took her. They know you Deon!" I was breathing heavily, talking crazy fast. I was scared out of my fucking mind.

"Ight, calm down. What did they say they want? Money?" He asked.

"Yeah, said they wanted $1500 by tomorrow morning. Deon, I need that money to get my sister, she has nothing to do with any of this. I would rather it be me over her, any day." I was shaking at this point. My poor sister was god knows where and probably freaking the hell out.

"Tara, listen. I don't got $1500 on me right now." I felt my heart sink when he said that.

"So we're just gonna leave her there!?" I shouted. Tears poured down my face.

"No. Listen to me." Deon's voice was calm but firm. "I had a few houses that wanted me to hit em up tonight, but I'm outta town right now. Do it for me and I'll let you keep the money so you can go get your sister."

I didn't even have to think twice. "Alright, where am I going?"

"First, go to the club and pick it up. And bring the stuff you already have with you too. Then do the rounds. It's only about two houses. You're gonna have to walk though, can't be getting pulled over. I'll text you the addresses."

I hung up on him and ran downstairs to meet the Uber. Fifteen minutes later, I was in front of Club Haze. I ran right in and ignored everything around me, walking straight through groups of club goers trying to have a good night. When I got to Deon's office, the door was open and Jacques was in the room, waiting for me.

"Where is it?" I said in a hurry. I was looking around for a huge duffle bag, but instead I was handed a leather pink mini backpack with silver studs.

I looked at Jacques confused. He nodded at me. My eyebrows raised. "Seriously, this is it?"

"It's less conspicuous," he said.

Whatever, I didn't care. I nodded before slinging it on and running out of the office. I was on limited time. I had no idea what they would do to my sister.

People around here could be greedy. Who knows what else they might ask for after I gave them the money.

Once outside the club, I opened the text Deon sent me. Both houses were between a thirty to forty minute walk, but I had no choice. I couldn't risk riding around with drugs.

I knew where the first house was, so I made my way there, making sure to take side streets. I would instantly be flagged down if I was seen running on the main road.

When I made it to the first house, I was out of breath and a bit nauseous. I pushed that aside though and walked up the front steps. No surprise here, the house was dingy. Paint peeled off the sides and weeds were growing through the porch. This neighborhood was right in the center of Southern Gardens. I was always hearing about homes being broken in and people being shot. Nobody wanted to buy houses here. There weren't any groceries stores nearby either and too many damn potholes.

I only lived about 10 minutes away and we were better off by miles. That's crazy.

I knocked on the front door because the bell probably didn't work. I heard someone messing with a lot of locks before the door swung open to reveal an old lady.

Shit, was this the right place? "Uh I'm sorry. I got the wrong house," I said going to turn around, but she grabbed me with a strength I wasn't expecting.

"Nah, this is the right house." Her voice was raspy with impatience.

"Oh," was all I said. See, I really wasn't made for this type of work. I know you're not supposed to get all up in your customer's business and shit, but someone needed to come get their grandma. With her gray hair and wrinkled body, she could've been at least 80 years old.

She sighed before rolling her eyes. "Are you gonna give it to me or not?" I snapped to attention and hurried to go in my bag. I gave her one of the baggies in there, not daring to even look at it. I'd rather not know.

The old lady snatched it from me before slapping a stack of cash in my hand. Without a word, she went back into her house and slammed the door, making me jump. Well moving on. I quickly left the house, heading over to the next. In no time, I ran the five blocks and arrived.

I actually sorta knew the place. It was rumored to be "the" trap house. It was under Deon's operation, but only small-time dealers ran the place. At least there wouldn't be any surprises here. I went up to the door and knocked. There was the sound of moving metal and I looked down to see the mail flap had opened. Then the sound of a bunch of locks being turned before the door opened.

A man popped his head out, looking up and down the street before nodding at me. I followed him inside and stood in the middle of the living room, waiting for him to finish relocking the door. I could hear laughter and loud music bumping from upstairs. The smell of weed was thick in the air.

"Let's go," he said. Nervously, I followed him. We went upstairs where the smell got stronger and smoke was coming out from under the doors. We stopped at the first room and went in. There were a ton of people, most of them looking up at us when we came in. Door dude told me to stay put before he walked up to a group of three guys sitting at a table. Everybody else was sitting on the brown leather couch, gathered around the tv. I glanced at the screen before looking somewhere else. Definitely not PG-13.

Girls whom rested in men's laps, giggled at me standing here awkwardly. It didn't help that they had the tv going real loud. I just wanted this shit to be over with. I also didn't appreciate how some of the dudes were eyeing me. I sighed before snapping my fingers loudly, getting the door dude's attention. I mouthed 'bathroom' and left the room quickly once he gave me the okay. Out in the hallway, two of the doors were now open, and some people were looking at me as I passed by.

I took my time once I found the bathroom. I wasn't happy about going back and dealing with the weird shit. Whatever those guys were talking about was taking too long and I still had to get to wherever Tatiana was. Once I finished, I opened the door and walked right into someone's chest. I was already annoyed, so I didn't bother apologizing. Obviously, this person didn't take it so well because when I tried to walk past them, I was pulled back by my arm. I whipped around to scratch their eyes out, only to freeze in complete shock.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Jawani was still holding onto my arm, anger as clear as day on his beautiful face. God, he was hot even when he was mad. "Aye!" He said shaking me gently, trying to get my attention. "I said what are you doing here Tara?"

I froze again. I didn't know how to start or even if I should. "Uhh..."

He glanced at my mini backpack. "You have drugs," he stated. I couldn't hide anything from him huh. His gaze was so intense and with his hand still gripping my arm, I couldn't think straight, and everything just came out.

"They took Tatiana thinking she was me and they want money and I had to sell to get the money and they want it by morning or who knows what they're going to do with her," I cried out quickly.

He didn't waste time with useless comments. "How much did they ask for?"

"$1500. I already got $750," I replied. He started walking, pulling me along with him. I tried to pull away, but Jawani obviously was stronger.

"Wait! I have to go sell the rest!" I protested, still trying to get away. He had brought me all the way downstairs and we were already heading out the front door.

"We aren't wasting any more time here. Let's get your sister, I'll pay the rest." I looked at him in surprise.

"But why?" I asked. He didn't even know us like that. Besides, who just gives someone $750?

"Do you really have the time to be asking questions Tara? Where is your sister?" He asked impatiently.

Shit, he was right. It didn't matter how I got the money. "Hold on," I said, taking out my phone. I quickly texted Tatiana's phone, telling the people I had the money and needed the location. A second later, they replied with the address. I showed it to Jawani.

I saw him tense. "I know where that is. Come on," he said before crossing the street. He pulled out a set of keys and opened the door to a black Honda Civic. "Get in." I ran across the street and jumped in the car. We sped off. "Put your seatbelt on," he commanded. If my sister's life wasn't in danger right now, I'd be sharing the driver's seat with Jawani.

We were cruising at 70, not even slowing down at the corners. A loud beeping echoed throughout the car, coming from some device stuck on Jawani's windshield. It was blinking red like crazy and beeping even faster. Jawani let out a curse before slowing down all the way to 30. Seconds later, we passed a closed gas station. On the side of the building, I could make out a cop car. It was hard to see him with his lights off, but that's probably how he got drivers speeding on through.

"That's a police scanner?" I asked Jawani. He nodded, checking his mirror every few seconds.

"Why do you have one of those?"

"So I don't get pulled over for speeding," he replied, eyes on the road.

Well duh. That wasn't much of an answer.

"Tara." I looked over at him. "When we get there, I want you to stay in the car."

"No," I said immediately. He must've been crazy. I couldn't believe he would even suggest that.

"I'm going to go in and get her, but I can't have you with me. You'll get in the way," he said sternly.

I got irritated. "She's my sister! It's all my fault and I should be the one to go. I have to make sure she's okay and I'm not taking no for an answer," I replied. When I was set on something, I was set.

Jawani took his eyes off the road and stared right into my eyes. "You're staying in the car," he said with finality. I shivered, feeling myself squirm under his scorching gaze. Jawani could be scary if he wanted to. "I'm not trying to do a second trip if they decide to take you too."

He had a point. I wanted to save my sister, but I didn't like the idea of the same thing happening to me. Jawani probably didn't have stacks laying around either to keep bailing us out. "Fine." I didn't like it, but I would listen.

He glanced over at me. "Good girl."

Shit, my heart really shouldn't be fluttering at a time like this. I had to focus and push my hormones aside.

A few minutes later, we pulled up to the front of a pawn shop. Jawani turned the car off. "They're in the apartments above, so I'm gonna go up there and get your sister. As soon as you see me coming, start the car. Okay?"

I nodded. "Okay." My hands were sweaty and I licked my lips. They felt like sandpaper. Things were starting to feel too real for me right now.

"Lock the doors. Don't cause attention to yourself." That was hard.

He got out of the car and shut the door. I watched as his body disappeared into the alleyway, praying that we would come outta this alive.

🌸 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.1K 3.9K 24
Meet Gwen Turner. Recently, she turned 40. She and her friends are the worst bowlers at their ladies-only wine and bowling league. She's content with...
80 3 18
Tired of all her sufferings, she's a girl who escaped her pack to start over and hopefully find her mate. will she be able to do it? ...
12.3K 512 18
Avalon Carter, Alpha of the Todium pack is about to walk into the biggest surprise of his life...... literally. Gaia and Iris belong to a family of t...
1.5M 73.3K 49
One crazy night. One drunken mistake. One careless hookup. Noah Brown never thought he would return to his hometown again. Sophia Stone never thou...