Great Loss (a hotchniss story)

By lylovescm

Aaron Hotchner gets some news about one of his members, Emily Prentiss. Little did the team know, he develope... More

background
worry (emily's POV)
feelings (hotch's POV)
truth (emily's POV)
plead (hotch's POV)
confess (emily's POV)
regret (hotch's POV)
rush (emily's POV)
gone (hotch's POV)
the letters
new start (emily's POV)
contemplate (hotch's POV)
anger (emily's POV)
secrets (hotch's POV)
aware (emily's POV)
odd (hotch's POV)
baby & death (emily's POV)
grieve (hotch's POV)
stress (emily's POV)
suspicions (hotch's POV)
new life (emily's POV)
Athena (narrator's POV)
unveil
encounter
a blast & its aftermath
trapped
a moment
family
a question
talks
perfect
epilogue

too much?

812 9 4
By lylovescm

The night of the sleepover finally comes. The ladies kicked out Luke for the rest of the night, Kate was willing to let him stay the night at her house, as Chris and her baby boy were home alone. Meg tagged along since she's been begging to go to a sleepover. "Well this is a sleepover. You'll have fun."

Meg sighs as they ring the doorbell. Emily opens it. "Hey, you guys aren't the last ones."

For some odd reason, Penelope's the last one to arrive. "I know, I know. I got caught up at the BAU."

"You're the one who planned this sleepover yet you're the last one?" Emily teases.

The fun then begins as everyone's in their PJ's. Before Luke left, Tara and Elle got him to help them move the table in the middle of the living room. That's where everyone was going to sleep for the night. The ladies of the house didn't want their guests to sleep downstairs alone, so tons of blankets and old bed mattresses were used for this special occasion.

"Okay, what should we do first? It's only 6:30," Elle asks.

After a few minutes of debating, they finally settle on karaoke. Athena and Meg decide not to join in so Emily decides to send them to her room to watch some movies. "Meg feel free to choose anything but not anything scary, Athena's a little too young."

She nods as she carries some of the snacks and drinks upstairs. "Thanks Em! Athena and I will have fun, right?"

Athena nods as Meg lets her walk in front of her. This doesn't surprise Emily as Athena trusts women better than men. "She must be the best big sister huh?"

Kate smiles. "Yeah, it was hard at first but she's our little guy's protector."

The ladies start off with a cup of wine and they begin to sing their hearts out. This goes on for about an hour and a half until the microphone gets to Emily. She's on her 2 and a half glass of wine. "Fine."

She chooses the song, All I Ask by Adele. After looking at her friends for support, she begins to sing.

I will leave my heart at the door
I won't say a word
They've all been said before, you know
So why don't we just play pretend?
Like we're not scared of what's coming next
Or scared of having nothing left

This surprises the ladies. "Damn I didn't know Prentiss could sing."

Look don't get me wrong
I know there is no tomorrow
All I ask is

If this is my last night with you
Hold me like I'm more than just a friend
Give me a memory I can use
Take me by the hand while we do what lovers do
It matters how this ends
"Cause what if I never love again?

The ladies group together as they lean on each other, swaying to Emily's voice. They close their eyes.

I don't need your honesty
It's already in your eyes
And I'm sure my eyes, they speak for me
No one knows me like you do
And since you're the only one that matters
Tell me who do I run to

Emily's tone begins to change, and Elle notices first. It's small but it's there, it sounds like she's crying out in a singing voice.

Look don't get me wrong
I know there is no tomorrow
All I ask is

If this is my last night with you
Hold me like I'm more than just a friend
Give me a memory I can use
Take me by the hand while we do what lovers do
It matters how this ends
'Cause what if I never love again?

Let this be a lesson in love
Let this be the way we remember us
I don't wanna be cruel or vicious
But I ain't asking for forgiveness
All I ask is

If this is my last night with you
Hold me like I'm more than just a friend
Give me a memory I can use
Take me by the hand while we do what lovers do
It matters how this ends
'Cause what if I never love again?

The song ends and everyone opens their eyes. "YES EMILY! YOU CAN SING!"

She smiles while biting on her tongue to hold back her tears. Her friends are profilers so they must already know, they just don't want to say anything. "Let's take a shot!"

They finally take a shot and continue singing while Penelope orders pizza. After a bit, everyone gets hangry, waiting for the food. "Okay I don't know why it's taking so long."

Everyone begins to snack on the snacks till the doorbell rings. Emily rushes to the door, a little drunk but tolerable.

I'm gonna yell at this pizza man.

She opens the door in anger, with cash in her hand. "What took you so —"

Standing in front of her was Alex Blake. "Alex."

"I have 4 boxes of pizza in the car," Alex whispers.

Emily didn't know what to do but hug Alex. "You're here."

"Em, what's taking you so long? We're hung —," Elle yells from the hallways. She then get a glimpse of Alex's face. She then joins in on the hug.

"Okay...okay... I'm pretty sure the driver's mad that my stuff's still in the car," she explains.

They look at the car and it looks like their blue Honda Pilot. "Wait, did Alvez bring you here?"

She nods and he waves with pizza in his hand. "Have fun ladies!"

Elle grabs the pizza while Emily helps Alex with a big suitcase and a bag. "How —,"

Penelope appears. "You like my surprise?"

"You did this?" Emily asks.

"Luke and I were talking and the sleepover topic came around, turns out there's one more lady who hasn't seen you in a while," Penelope smiles.

They leave Alex's things near the door as she walks into the main room. Kate looks up and she sees Alex. "You're here!"

JJ, Tara, and Penelope are then introduced. With all the commotion, the girls come down, Athena holding Meg's hand. Athena jumps down from the last step and they walk towards the kitchen. Meg sees Alex and gives her a hug. "Hi Auntie Alex."

Athena stands beside Emily. Alex looks down. "Is this her?"

Emily nods and crouches down to be at Athena's height. "Say hi to Mommy's friend from London. Her name's Alex."

"Hi Auntie Alex," Athena waves.

Alex waves back. "She's beautiful Emily, just like you."

Everyone begins to dig into the pizza. Alex talks to Elle about Luke letting her stay here rather than a hotel. Elle agrees, knowing they would let her stay with them anytime. She gives up her room and talks to Emily about sleeping in her room, a sleepover with just them two. They all hug it out.

After eating, Alex decides to take a shower after coming from the airport. The ladies mingle till Alex comes down in her PJ's. "Am I ready?"

They all nod and they gather near the couch. It's around 9:45, past Athena's bedtime but Emily allows her to stay up because she cleaned her room and took a long nap earlier that day. Which meant that she wouldn't be sleeping for a while.

It was then time for games. They started off with Uno, it actually took a while for everyone to get a jist of the game. Athena couldn't play but she entertained by her Mommy, every once in a while she would walk around looking at everyone's cards. At times, it would get a little violent. This didn't surprise Alex as they were on their 3-4th cup of wine and other alcohol while she was on her first.

"HOW COULD YOU DO THAT TO ME ELLE! The eye contact was strong, I THOUGHT WE WERE WORKING TOGETHER," Penelope complained.

Elle laughs. "Well I didn't win. Meg did."

Meg was familiar with this game which gave her the advantage of winning. What surprised her was that even though everyone else was getting used to the game, it was one of the longest games she's ever played. "GG, everyone."

To end the night (for the girls at least), it was time for movies. Rom-coms were a must, and there was no debate about that. Athena and Meg went upstairs to brush their teeth while everyone got situated. Everyone was everywhere, some were on the floor, some were on the couch, some were at the island, Elle was actually sitting on top of the island, and etc. First movie they watched was Just Go With It, featuring Jennifer Aniston and Adam Sandler.

Starting with this movie was a good idea. It was a somewhat kid friendly movie, Athena understood some parts but was entertained by the visuals of the movie instead. She snuggles to the right of her mom, as they are on the right edge of the couch. To Emily's left, Kate and Meg are on the left edge of the couch, snuggling too. Everyone has their own blankets and everything feels right.

Towards the end of the movie, Emily looks around. Athena and Meg were asleep. Elle's laying down on the large island. Tara has a bottle of wine in her hand and JJ and Penelope were sharing a bag of chips.

Kate and Emily tuck their girls in and the rest of the ladies gather on the mattresses before choosing the next movie. "Since the girls asleep, let's have girl talk."

"We'll all go around and say a couple things about our life, and then you drink," Penelope says. "JJ you start and then you'll call on someone."

JJ grabs her cup of wine. "Well, me and Henry are doing good. I'm actually getting close to Will again, we are coparenting after all. But I just don't want to ruin it, what if something happens again and it'll get Henry's hopes up and things might become messy between us?"

Alex leans on the couch. "JJ if you think it's right and he still makes you happy, go for it. Just live life and if it doesn't turn out the way you expected, then it's okay."

"And that's Mama Bear Alex Blake for you," Elle states.

JJ smiles as she takes a sip. "I'll take your advice, and it's your turn Tara."

"There's no one new in my life, so it's just me and wine," Tara puts her bottle in the air. "Focusing on myself after the split up with the fiancé."

Emily and Elle knew about this on one of their girl nights. Her fiancé made her decide between her job or him, but she knew that he had to make the decision too. He had the opportunity to go to San Francisco and he took it. "Tara's so badass, I love it!"

"Your turn Kate," Tara says after taking a big swig of wine.

She sighs. "This is one of the very few times I'm able to go out. Plus I have my teenager with me. So I can't really get away from the mom life. Baby boy and Chris are doing well, he's definitely a daddy's boy but I got my Meg."

Kate takes a drink of her wine. "You're up Alex."

"Well, London's doing good. James and I are communicating well. I'm just happy to be here," Alex explains, taking a shot of vodka. "I'm being adventurous tonight. Your turn Penelope."

Penelope shuffles around. "Work's been fine and I'm always happy!"

She takes a quick drink of her wine as everyone stares at her. "What?"

Tara chuckles. "So we're not gonna talk about your lil crush on Luke?"

Hiding herself with the blanket, she tries to not blush. "It's not a crush, we're just talking."

"Mhm..." Elle says. "I'll go. I'm really happy at the moment. I'm with Derek. Yes Alex, the Derek I talked about in London. And I'm here with my best friend and god daughter and I'm surrounded by so much love."

Penelope leans on her. "I love you and my Chocolate Thunder together. But if either one of you break each other's hearts, I'm going to stop it and rekindle you two together."

Elle hugs Penelope. "Looks like it's Emily's turn."

Emily leans on the couch too. "I'm gonna be real honest, I'm kind of drunk."

Tara leans over and high-fives Emily, they're basically drinking buddies. "So if anything too personal is said, please stop me."

"I'm doing well, I guess. I'm living happily with my daughter and her "parental" guardians. I'm slowly rekindling friendships with my friends even though you guys thought I was dead," Emily snickers. "I have to be quiet. But did I tell you guys?"

Elle knew where this was going. "I went to the BAU a couple days ago. And Hotch and I got locked in a room, he tried to —"

Covering her mouth, Emily pushes Elle's hand away. "As I was saying before I was rudely interrupted, he tried to kiss me but I said I couldn't. That's it."

Elle sighs as everyone gasps. "I tried to stop her."

"I think it's time for Emily to stop drinking," says Alex says. "Help me lay her down."

After a couple minutes of trying to keep Emily quiet, she soon falls asleep.

JJ stuffs Cheetos in her mouth. "Well that was eventful."

"Are we going to ignore what she said?" Penelope asks. "She just said Hotch tried to kiss her."

"Garcia, we don't even know how she feels about him. Yeah we think they could be the cutest couple ever but you can't forget about their past," Elle explains. "She was hurting for months, and I could see it in her eyes."

Kate butts in. "Okay, but you haven't seen Hotch at work. That one time when Emily and Athena visited, he spent the whole day smiling. And he rarely smiles."

Penelope gasps. "You know who we could call, to confirm if Bossman still loves Emily? Rossi."

Everyone agrees except for Elle. "Don't you guys think it's a violation of her privacy?"

Tara looks at her, bobbing her head. "Out of everyone here, I'm the most drunk but I can tell that Emily's in love with him. You know what, let's make a deal. If Rossi says that Hotch isn't in love with her, then we forget all of this happened. But if Rossi confirms that he does, then we're going to do everything in our power to get them back together."

Elle doesn't answer for a moment. She wanted her best friend to be happy but she was somewhat happy, with Athena. Athena was her pride and joy but Elle knew that something was missing.

"Fine," Elle gives in.

Penelope phones Rossi at almost 12 in the morning. "Penelope?"

She snickers while putting him on speaker. Everyone forget that they all consumed wine so they laugh quietly too. "Italian Stallion, we have a question for you?"

"We? Oh — you're at that sleepover you ladies couldn't stop talking about. Hello to you all, and what's your question?"

"From family member to family member, is Hotch in love with Prentiss?" Kate yells quietly into the phone.

A silence occurs. "You didn't hear it from me. But yes, he told me hi—"

"Thank you!" Tara says into the phone, Penelope ending the call quickly.

They all laugh quietly. "I told you, I knew it."

Elle laughs sarcastically. "Okay, since now we know, you guys need to know something."

Everyone faces Elle as if they were children listening to a story. "It's October, Athena's birthday is next month. Our Chief at Interpol told her that she needed to make a decision if she wanted to go back to London. And if she did, she needed to tell him by the end of the year. Em hasn't told me her plans but she's been talking about how she misses London."

Alex grabs Elle's shoulders. "We can't let her. If the love of her life is here, she needs to be here."

The rest of the ladies drunkenly nod. "We'll talk about this tomorrow."

Everyone gets comfortable on the mattresses and Alex, the least drunk, turns off the lights. She finds a spot and falls asleep.

-

The next morning, Meg wakes up first, she hops over the couch and checks her phone at the island where it was charging. It's 9:30 and everyone's still asleep.

She calls Luke, one of her main contacts on her phone after Kate and Chris. "Hey Luke, is Dad and Cairo doing okay?"

Although Meg isn't Kate's biological child, she grew up calling Kate and Chris by their names. She decided it was time to change it up.

"Yeah, we had a fun night watching sports, everything alright?" he asks.

"Yeah, do you think you guys could come over? They're all hungover and I don't know what to do when they wake up? Didn't my Mom get headaches when she drinks?"

Luke laughs into the phone. "Mhm, I'll be there within the hour."

Meg hangs up and walks to get some leftover pizza, 2 at the most. She gets to the microwave but hears a voice. "I want one too."

She looks and Athena's up. Meg nods and lifts her from the couch. After getting their breakfast, they get settled onto the couch and they turn on the TV to watch a movie.

Seeing that Athena's distracted and isn't worried about her mother, Meg decides to clean up. After her baby brother Cairo was born, she became more helpful around the house, doing more chores, and cleaning the baby's bottles, etc.

By the time Luke walks through the door, Meg just finished putting the many wine glasses in the dishwasher. "Am I missing something here?"

Meg laughs. "No, I cleaned while Athena was watching the movie. I gave her some fruit snacks if you don't mind. And the ladies are still out."

"Wow, your parents taught you well. This is very well appreciated," Luke says. "Chris couldn't be here since Cairo throwing a tantrum before I left."

She smiles. "Understandable."

Athena turns around to see Luke and she jumps in his arms. "Do you think you can finish watching the movie in Mommy's room with Meg?"

Meg agrees while Athena nods. She takes her hand and they head upstairs.

Luke starts to shake the mattress to wake them up. "Hello? Wake up!"

That didn't work so he decides to hit them playfully with pillows. "I'm gonna start a pillow fight."

That also doesn't work so he runs out of ideas. Until he spots the microphone, he turns it on and connects it to the TV. Luke turns it to the highest volume but then realizes that it might scares the girls so he brings it down a little. "Wake up! Wake up!"

Finally he sees some movement from the women. After 5 minutes, everyone's awake except for Emily.

"How much did we um drink?" Alex asks.

"Is there leftover pizza?" Elle mumbles.

"I need to throw up," Tara groaned.

Luke laughs. "There are consequences when it comes to drinking. Come on, get up!"

JJ stretches and looks around to see Emily who's still asleep. "Guys."

Everyone looks at her. "We need to talk about last night, before she wakes up."

"What happened last night?" Luke asks, turning off the microphone.

Tara sighs. "Do you wanna know?"

"Is it bad?"

"No, but it's about Emily."

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡
Author's Note:
this chapter was kind of fun to write :) AND I WATCHED THE GREYS ANATOMY SEASON 17 PREMIERE!! it was so good :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.5K 92 17
After Penelope chooses to leave the BAU, Emily and JJ get closer. JJ is still facing the consequences of confessing her love to Spencer but no one k...
29.3K 541 21
You've been working for the BAU for couple years and was sent undercover on a dangerous mission. As you came back, you saw someone new in the team. ...
5.9K 116 12
This is a Jeid, Hotchniss, and Morcia story. If you don't like one of the ships don't read. *Completed*
6.8K 81 15
Emily Prentiss joins the bau, and immediately takes notice of a certain blonde woman. The secret that Emilys hiding from the team could either bring...