The Chosen One

By jadadenae

Women in her village are expected to clean and cook, while the men and other boys are praised for their might... More

• Prelude •
• Prologue •
• [ 1 ] •
• [ 2 ] •
• [ 3 ] •
• [ 4 ] •
• [ 6 ] •
• [ 7 ] •
• [ 8 ] •
• [ 9 ] •
• Rose's Gift List •
• [ 10 ] •
• [ 11 ] •
• [ 12 ] •
• [ 13 ] •
• [ 14 ] •
• [ 15 ] •
• Academy Courses •
• [ 16 ] •
• [ 17 ] •
• [ 18 ] •
• [ 19 ] •
• [ 20 ] •
• [ 21 ] •
• [ 22 ] •
• Schedules •
• [ 23 ] •
• [ 24 ] •
• [ 25 ] •
• [ 26 ] •
• [ 27 ] •
• [ 28 ] •
• [ 29 ] •
• [ 30 ] •
• [ 31 ] •
• [ 32 ] •
• [ 33 ] •
• [ 34 ] •
• [ 35 ] •
• [ 36 ] •
• [ 37] •
• [ 38 ] •
• [ 39 ] •
• [ 40 ] •
• [ 41 ] •
• [ 42 ] •
• [ 43 ] •
• [ 44 ] •
• [ 45 ] •
• Announcement •
• Question •
• Update •

• [ 5 ] •

10.3K 352 74
By jadadenae

Rose's POV

I wake up fairly early compared to my usual wake up time, feeling very excited for the events to come. I haven't really described what happens or the ceremony itself in detail, so I'll do that now.

So basically, four seasoned dragon riders and three experienced magic wielders (chosen by their designated Academy's Headmaster) travel to every village within a hundred-mile radius of their assigned academy. There are specific designated days for each village for when the choosing ceremony is to commence annually. Each region is made up of 20 villages or more, give or take that each village has a population between 500 - 2,400 people. The largest village in my region is my own, with a population of 2,340 people. The smallest village in my region, Lake View Village, has a population of 569 people. There are about five different Magic Wielding Dragon Riding Academies per region, but the most prestigious Academy known in the magii community, and the one all people from Trinity Stone Village attend to if chosen, is called Stone Heart Magic Wielding Dragon Riding Academy or just the Stone Heart for short.

You get chosen if the ancient aura-reading stone glows certain colors. Every 15 year old will line up and place their hands on the elemental stone. The stone itself is a murky white color, basically just a sturdier and larger version of a pearl. All girls and boys line up in hopes of the stone glowing. If it does not glow any bit of color, you are a human full blood. Nobody is shunned for being human, and frankly, although Trinity Stone village has a reputation of housing / breeding the strongest magii users, most of the villagers are human.

If the stone glows red, you have the ability to manipulate and control fire. If the stone glows blue, you have the ability to manipulate and control water. If the stone glows green, you have the ability to manipulate and control nature & other earth elements like rocks and soil. If the stone glows grey, which is different than the white looking stone because it will emit a stormy-looking glow, you have the ability to manipulate and control air.

If it glows multiple colors ie. red and grey, you have the ability to manipulate and control both fire & air. Some extremely advanced magii users are able to create and form their specific elements, as well as being able to use their element's sub categories. When this happens, they are named masters of their elements and a receive specific master tattoos correlating to their element. Masters are praised and often times become teachers and mentors at the academy they graduated from. As stated before, only the strongest and most capable magii users master their element, I believe that the youngest recorded master was a 19 year old dual wielder prodigy, who mastered water, nature, and their sub elements. That happened a little over a decade ago, and only those who have mastered their ability are able to control their elements' sub elements. You can also master your element without being able to control the sub-elements, which is more frequent in air and fire masters.

The element of water has two sub elements, ice and snow. The element of nature has five sub elements, controlling or talking to animals, creating life-like creatures from Earth's resources, earthquakes, and quicksand. The element of air has three main sub elements, creating storms, creating tornados and creating hurricanes. Yet, the rarest sub elements of air that only nine have ever been able to master in history, were teleportation, telekinesis, and levitation. Lastly, the element of fire has two main sub elements, lightning and creating thunderstorms. But, the deadliest and rarest form of power, was the sub element of fire called white fire.

It is 5x hotter than regular fire, takes a great deal of energy to control, and can burn someone's body to a crisp within seconds. Only one person has ever been able to wield white fire, and his power corrupted him so much that his soul became evil. He later became a leader of darkness, attempting to take over the magic community. He thrived off of his power and his greed is what led to his demise. It is rumored that he has a descendant capable of this powerful form, but no evidence of this rumor has been found.

Lots of people hope to be able to manipulate and control the elements, let alone become masters. There have never been reports of someone who was able to wield all elements, three is extremely rare and has happened on occasion only four times ever, to wield two elements is still rare but more of a possibility, and has happened about 512 times ever in history, and of course, everyone else who is a magii user can wield at least one element. But, many people hope to become dragon riders as well. That is why I, and every other male in the village train extremely hard, just for this moment. If they do not become magii users or dragon riders, they become village warriors so that their capabilities are not put to waste.

If the stone glows purple, you are a dragon rider and have the ability to control and form bonds with dragons, bond-link. The sub category for dragon riding is having the ability to wield your dragon's powers. For example, if your dragon has the power of energy formation, if you are one of the strongest dragon riders, your bond with your dragon would be so strong that you will be able to form raw energy balls and use them in battle. This has happened sixteen times before, and takes a great deal of mental capacity and strength to use. If the stone glows gold, you are both a dragon rider and an element wielder. This is extremely rare, and has only happened 61 times in history, which is near nothing compared to the knowledge that every generation of dragon riders and magii users attend three different academies per region since forever centuries ago.

If the stone glows gold, the seven experienced people chosen by their Academy's Headmaster, pull out a separate more powerful stone that has the ability to determine what element the dragon rider will be able to wield. The stone only glows for 15 year olds whose status is gold, if an average day water wielder puts their hands on the stone, it would not glow. No dragon rider whom is also a magii user have ever had mastery over their element, simply because the power needed for the specific person to be able to do both of those tasks has never been recorded. Also, every time the stone has glowed gold, the dragon rider is able to wield only a single element. But, the occurrence is still celebrated widely throughout the magii community and the village the rider came from is praised from all over for having the ability bear a child who is able to manipulate an element along with riding a dragon.

Today is my favorite day of the year by far, and I hope to be one of the chosen ones. Yet, I am not getting my hopes up because only 10 females have ever been able to wield magic. None of the chosen females became masters, none of them were the best at their academies, and no female has ever been chosen as a dragon rider .... ever. So the odds are not in my favor, if anything, it is discouraging. Though I must say, it only makes me more determined to be chosen and become apart of the magii community by attending Stone Heart.

Lots of the villagers and warriors support my ambitions, those who don't are the sexist, egotistical males who weren't good enough or who I have beaten in combat, yet were blinded by their pride to admit that I bested them. The others who don't agree with my views are the girls in my year or are older than that and have an unhealthy obsession with my friends. So, in conclusion, all of the village elders, parents, and younger children have faith in my abilities and will support me no matter the outcome, which is more support than I can ever ask for.

Because today is the ceremony, I will dress nicer than I usually will, deciding to wear a dress with my combat boots and some jewelry that's been gifted to me. My dress is not too revealing, rather simplistic yet shows grace and elegance in its design. I may or may not have sketched this dress out and asked for our village seamstress to make a personalized dress to my liking. It cost a pretty penny, but was completely worth it in the end. Whenever I put it on, I fall in love with it all over again, as if it's the first time I have seen it. No body has seen me wear this dress yet because I was saving it for my 16th birthday, but for some odd reason, I know today will end in happiness, making me want to dress nicely for once. I throw on my combat boots because I am still a warrior at heart. Then, I delicately put on the pieces of jewelry I have been given over the years.

The first is an gold amulet, engraved to look like a sunflower with a healing stone in the middle. It was given to me by our village leader, Nicholas, for helping out his wife with their newborn when he had to attend a village leader conference sometime last year. Nicholas is actually a magic wielder, able to manipulate nature and earth's resources. He is not a master, but is still very powerful. He had manipulated a diamond in its natural state with healing properties from an aloe plant and a few other advanced things, making it a very thoughtful gift and nice necklace.

Secondly, I put on a rose gold ring that has a red rose on it, in honor of my nickname. My full name is Vera Hadley Wellington, I only know this because when I was abandoned on the doorstep, I was wrapped in a blanket with my name engraved on it. I acquired the name Rose because as I grew up, my village elders saw I was delicate and had the beauty of a rose with my rosy cheeks and plump lips. It started when Nicholas's wife called me Rose, and I squealed in delight when we were painting one time at the day care. It sort of stuck, and since then, I've been called Rose. But, this piece of jewelry was given to me by Colt for my 15th birthday, that passed on April 4th. (Today is June 30th, tomorrow is July 1st) I got him a star pendant for his 15th birthday because it reminded me of his name, so he got me something that reminds him of my name.

After that, I put on my bright gold ring that matches with Jason's. Jason and I were given these rings from his parents because they were very proud of us after we completed our first hunt together, and as a symbol of their pride, they got us all matching rings. I was 10, and Jason was 23. They both have one too, saying things along the lines of how we are a family and this ring is just a small appreciation for the love they hold for Jason and I. Let me just say that I had never cried so many tears of joy than I had that day.

Next, I put on a beautiful gold ring with three small stones in the center, with the design of leaves opposing in direction. The golden boys, aka my best friends, all piled their money together to get me this on our friendsiversary. They paid extra for the stones in the center because they said that I was like the glue to our group, and they wouldn't be the same if I wasn't their friend. We all got really close after that day and now I have more non-blooded brothers who care for me as I them.

Lastly, I put in my gold stud earrings that I made myself when there was leftover gold from a mining exploration that couldn't be used due to the amount leftover. So instead of throwing it out, I made earrings that look very nice.

I don't wear jewelry very often due to my training, but the only pieces I have never taken off if not bathing or sleeping we're the pieces Nicholas and The Lucia's gave me. But, I am very appreciative of all gifts that I have ever received. I finish getting ready, putting my hair in a simple half up half down bun look, with some flowers entwined in it, leaving my hair in its natural waves. Then, I head downstairs to get an early start to making my once a year famous pancakes.

I just finished flipping the last pancake when I hear a stampede herding down the stairs.

"PANCAKES!!" The twins shout in glee. Thankfully, they woke everyone else prior to coming down. I pass out plates and everyone gets a plentiful amount that is sure to satisfy them for the next year, along with my homemade syrup sauce. We all get settled down and say grace to the goddess, and the others wish Oliver and I good faith for the upcoming ceremony that starts at half past 12.

The reason it starts at this time is so that if you are chosen, after the ceremony you are able to say your goodbyes and pack for Stone Heart. Then, when you arrive at the Academy, you are given some time to settle and eat dinner while you are given instructions for the next day. After breakfast, everyone dispersed in preparation for the ceremony. I pull Oliver aside and tell him to follow me, I bring him to the village park and sit on the bench. We sit in a comfortable silence before I break it.

"I just want you to know that no matter the outcome of today, I am extremely proud of how far you have come. Since watching you evolve as a warrior in training, to becoming a respectable man, I am so pleased to call you my brother. I do not know what will happen today, but I want you to know that everything happens for a reason, and will have my full support." I tell him with compassion and conviction. He just looks at me his eyes tearing up. He may not talk to the others much, but I know he is nervous. As much as I like to say we are a family, we all know that life will not always stay this way. Thus, why I need him to know how much I care for him, and will support him whether he is fully human or a magii user.

"I really needed to hear that sis." He says, his voice cracking at the end. I pull him into a hug of comfort while wiping away his tears with my thumb.

"Of course. I am not just saying this because you are my brother, but because I care so much for you." I look into his eyes. He breaks into a smile and hugs me tighter. We stay like that for a while until he pulls away, yet still in an arms reach. I just pull him up and we make our way to the town, walking together for what may be our last time in a while.

"What do you hope for?" I ask, starting up a conversation. He wonders for a moment before he replies.

"Either air or water." I can see that for him. Water is a very graceful element, and air requires free flowing movements. I always joked around about how Oliver used to be a dancer in his past life with his gazelle-like walk. He hesitates before asking me the same question. I smile reassuringly, telling him he did no wrong to ask me the question.

"Honestly, I don't know. I'm elegant and simplistic just like the elements of air and water. But- "

"But you are also strong and have bravery just like the elements of nature and fire." He finished for me. I just nod, acknowledging the truth of the matter. I don't really fit in one specific category because I can apply myself to all. This just makes me more anxious for the ceremony. We run into some of Oliver's friends on the way and I tell him to go have some fun with his friends, but to come see me before the ceremony starts.

I continuing making my way towards the training ground, hoping to get some last minute advice. I look around as I pass by my community. The shoe shining store run by a newly wed couple. The seamstress shop run by Mr. Romano, an air wielder also of Italian descent. The bakery, where I spent my afternoons with Mr. and Mrs. Wilson baking and learning various recipes from different cultures. The trail that leads to school, where I was quite popular yet never let it get to my head. The salon, where I held Garret's wife's hand as she got her hair shaved off. The dirt road that leads to a farm, where Nicholas contributes his magic use to ensuring plentiful crops for our village. The small boutique, run by Miss Donna and her best friend, Miss Valorie. They helped me when I was questioning the finery of certain materials and fabrics. The art studio, where the store owners, Mr.Olly and Olsen (married), helped me find my love for creativity and other artistic aspects. I pass by plenty more places full of people who helped shape me into the woman I am.

Finally, I make my towards the training center, where I am to meet The Lucia's. They wanted me to spend time with them and the rest of the warriors before my awaited fate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~\\~~~~~~~~~~~~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

144K 4.1K 54
[BOOK 1: THE GRAND MAGIC GAMES] Published: [05/03/2017] Completed: [22/09/2017] HIGHEST RANKINGS: #2 in Assassin [04/12/2018] #19 in Anime [24/11/201...
113K 7K 45
#1 in Reverse Harem and #2 in Harem on 08/28/2021 #4 in Harem on 9/30/21 #17 in Romance out of 1.91 million stories on 1/16/22 #4 Paranormal 12/11/22...
39.4K 5.3K 72
When Lyn falls for a girl who is out of the world, she did not expect her to literally not be from this world. *** Lyn Bronte is a talented lightning...
5.9K 386 34
The story's narrator: "Once upon a time, in a land far far away. In a kingdom not known to the modern world there once was a queen and a knight.... ...