The Light to His Darkness

By theboywhosabrat

Ruthless, heartless and a man with no weaknesses. That's what they say. Those steely grey eyes of his hold t... More

A/N
Characters and Aesthetics
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49

Chapter 7

16K 323 10
By theboywhosabrat

"So how do you think Amy is going to work there, huh, Trevor?" Hailey mumbled while munching on the peanut butter and jelly sandwich that I made just now.

"I think she's going to do just fine....right, Amy?" Trevor questioned me.

"I hope so. I hope that there's at least one woman on the team; if not, then those men are going to have a hard time communicating with me," I replied while having the last bite of my sandwich.

"I think you're going to do just fine. You were leading every single group assignment assigned to you throughout university. And you don't need to be scared of those men; it's not that they're going to bite you. Even if they did anything to you, Amelia Lockwood is there to rescue you," Hailey said sheepishly.

"Or you could just go to Amelia's office when you're bored," Trevor said.

"Now that's the last thing I'm going to do. Even though she's my friend, she's my boss at work too. I've got to keep things professional. Also, I don't want the team to know that I'm privileged. The interview was just a mere formality, you know?"

"You're right, Amy. I definitely gotta keep things professional. Wait till you get yourself a man at work," Hailey sassed.

"Ooh........office romance is legit hot Amy. Don't forget, either way, you are going to get men's attention, and you're going to be asked out by a guy some time," Trevor said.

"Nope. Not going to happen to me."

"Yeah, we'll see about that," both said in unison.

"Okay, guys. I need to go to work. I'm running out of time," I said.

Both of them engulfed me in a big hug peppering me with kisses on my cheek.

"Okay, okay, guys. Stop, stop!" I giggled.

"We love you so much, Amy. Good luck on your first day at work," Trevor said.

"Sure, thank you to both of you."

I said my goodbyes to them and left my apartment.

I had my coffee during breakfast, so there's no need for a trip to Starbucks. Upon sitting on the driver's seat, I plugged my phone into the AUX cord, and Scars To Your Beautiful by Alessia Cara instantly started to play. Okay, what a great song to start my day with!

Parking my car at the parking lot of Lockwood Enterprises, I made my way inside the building. I waved at the main receptionist as I walked past the reception desk.

As I emerged from the lift to the fifth floor, I met Chelsea having a conversation with a rather tall man.

"Good morning, Amy. Mr. Adams here is expecting you, actually. He will be showing you around and introducing you to the IT Department."

I turned to see the man that she was talking about. The man looked like he was in his late twenties, quite charming, to be honest. He has green eyes, just like Amelia, but darker. And he has quite a good build too.

Realizing that I was staring at him for a moment, I looked down at my shoes, and a blush crept on my face.

"It's okay, Miss. Roberts. I know women can't resist me," he said in a cocky manner.

Normally, any other woman will be annoyed by his cocky endearment, but me being me, I just remained silent.

"Stop there, Hunter. You're going to scare the girl away," Chelsea told him.

He chuckled.

"After you, Miss. Roberts. The team is waiting for you."

"S-sure Mr. Adams."

As I was going to walk, Chelsea told me, "Amy! Meet me here when you're out for lunch. I know a good diner across the street."

"Sure thing, Chelsea! Meet you later," and I followed Mr. Adams.

As I was walking with him along the hall, I could feel his eyes on me. It's not in a creepy way, but it's definitely not pleasing either.

"You are really not much of a talker, aren't you, Miss. Roberts?" he asked.

"Guess you could say that," I replied.

"Don't worry. You will warm up with the team soon enough," he said.

I gave him a slight smile in which he returned as well, and he walked me to a room.

As he opened the door, I stumbled upon a desk with cupboards at the inner left edge of the room.

"Miss. Lockwood has requested that I give you this room as your office. Feel free to utilize this room to your liking."

I thanked him as I kept my stuff on my desk as he waited for me. Why is he waiting for me here?

"Come on, Miss. Roberts, I have to introduce you to the rest of the team. They are eagerly waiting to meet the newbie."

"Oh, sorry," I said as I followed him to meet the others.

As we reached the center of the hall, he gathered the other employees and introduced me to them and vice versa. Everyone was quite friendly towards me, but only time will tell me what it's like to work with them. I never thought Mr. Adams would be the assistant to the head of the department. I swear, looks can sometimes be deceiving. After the introductory session ended, Mr. Adams called me to his office.

As we reached there, he sat and started opening and looking for something on his computer. I hesitantly sat on the chair and looked down on my shoes again.

" Miss. Roberts, I assure you that I will not harm you in any way. Just be calm," he said soothingly while looking at his computer.

"Sure, Mr. Adams," I replied.

"Please call me Hunter. Mr. Adams makes me feel like an older man. I swear everyone calls me by my first name here. You're not going to be the only one."

"Then you have to call me Amy."

"Sure, Amy," he replied while giving me a slight chuckle.

He took his time doing his thing on his computer, so I opened my phone and replied to Trevor's texts.

"Aha! Found it!" exclaimed Hunter.

He printed whatever document he was referring to and presented it to me.

"Okay, here is your first task assigned by Mr. Sanders himself. You are required to fix a bug that has been found out a few days ago in our hotel system where it has been messing up our customers' hotel reservation dates even though they've inputted the right date. Written below here on the paper is your ID and password to access the system for yourself. Mr. Sanders said to take your time because this is a small bug that requires less time, and the system needs to be top-notch so that customers will have a good experience using our system."

"Indeed, I will fix this bug as soon as possible, despite your previous statement Hunter. I will report to you as soon as I'm finished."

"Liking the enthusiasm so far, Miss. Roberts. Good luck on your first task," said Hunter before returning his gaze to his computer.

I mumbled a goodbye and went to my workplace. Honestly, my first day has not been bad so far. After getting to my workplace, I sat down and started working on the task till lunchtime. I hope this task is not contrary to my expectations.

I was heavily immersed in my task until I didn't hear Chelsea coming inside.

"Girl, it's lunchtime. I know that you're really invested in your task given, but you know you can do it afterward, right?"

"Yeah, sorry. Give me a moment," I said while logging out of the system and closing my computer.

We soon left the humongous building that I call my workplace, and Chelsea walked us to this diner, which looked aesthetic. Even its name, Dave's Delight, sounds like it. Being the introvert I am, and with a history of social anxiety, restaurants and diners aren't my forte, unless Amelia brings the three of us every end of the month. At first glance, Chelsea seems to be a loud person who is the total opposite of me, but hey, opposites attract. She is currently looking intently at the menu to find a good dish to devour. She must be starving. 

"Good afternoon, ladies. I am Sally, and I am your waiter for the day. What would both of you like to have for lunch?" the waiter asked. 

"Uhm...... I will have steak and Amy?"

"-oh, I will have spaghetti with carbonara sauce," I replied. 

"How about drinks?"

"We will be having some lemon tea," Chelsea interjected before I started to speak.

"Sorry for being rude, Amy, but trust me, you will love their lemon tea. It tastes wonderful. This diner is kind of known for its homemade teas." 

" I love tea! I always had tea every evening the whole time I was living with my parents. Since my mom is British, tea has been a staple drink in my family till now."

"Oh, I didn't know that," she said, looking surprised. 

"No one knows except my best friends," I replied. 

The rest of our lunch went by us simply getting to know each other. Chelsea is from Toronto, Canada, and she's been working as a receptionist on the fifth floor for two years. We got our food served not long after. She was right; the lemon tea was indeed superb. Not too sweet and not too sour. The spaghetti was great too. We continued our conversation while we were eating. The best part was talking about makeup and beauty brands, which is obviously my favorite topic to talk about. 

Honestly, I feel happy that I got the job because it makes me move out of my comfort zone, making my introverted self socialize with people. Before this, the people that I knew other than my parents were literally Trevor, Hailey, and Amelia. Now, I am acquainted with Chelsea and Hunter. Both of them seem very nice. But that's just the both of them. I hope the others are nice to me because the last thing I want is someone not liking me, which could totally escalate into something worse. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.2M 246K 46
One of the most powerful man in the world. He was called Octavius. Cruel, coldblooded, and completely unobtainable. The Devil in a Brioni suit. The m...
3.3M 89.3K 71
(THIS WAS MY FIRST BOOK!!, it may not be what you like and that doesn't matter to me because it was long ago, ANYWAY HOPE YOU ENJOY) ALSO ITS NOT EDI...
22.7M 775K 50
"Your problem is that your heart is too big, it leaves you vulnerable and makes you weak." He spoke in such certainty that it brought tears to my eye...
53.8K 781 38
This is my first story sooo🤨 He was cold, ruthless, and killed. There was no doubt that people feared him, he was the mafia don for crying out loud...