What The End Looks Like | ✓

By lau_matthews

The final book (4) in the What A Lie Looks Like series! Dean Benson finally has everything he thinks he's ev... More

author's note
epigraph
01: dean
02: lacey
03: lacey
05: dean
06: lacey
07: lacey
08: lacey
09: dean
10: lacey
11: lacey
12: lacey
13: dean
14: lacey
15: lacey
16: lacey
17: dean
18: the impact
19: lacey
20: lacey
21: lacey
22: dean
23: lacey
24: lacey
25: lacey
26: dean
27: lacey
28: lacey
29: the turmoil
30: lacey
31: dean
32: lacey
33: lacey
34: the aftermath
35: dean
36: dean
epilogue
author's note

04: lacey

1K 60 5
By lau_matthews

 Once I got over the shock of him driving a Corvette and the way his blue eyes popped with his light blue button-down, I felt like myself with him. He has this peaceful presence to him that makes me feel at ease. Even with the prospect of meeting his family tonight.

"Thank you again for coming tonight. You're saving me from Sephine and Cassidy trying to set me up with people they know. They don't quite believe that I'm content single, even though I am." He admits, turning onto a side street.

I play with the bottom of my dress, "So am I a friend or a pretend girlfriend?"

He glances over at me, "Friend. The pretend girlfriend thing might have worked out for my cousin and his wife, but I prefer to be the first to have a normal relationship. I'll meet someone when it's the right time, but I'm also banking on the idea that me bringing someone new will satisfy them to the point where they back off for a bit."

I stare at him in shock, "What do you mean the first to have a normal relationship?"

"My family has a track record of making things incredibly difficult on themselves. Intentional or not, we have kind of a bad track record."

I'm still not following, but I don't think he wants to go in depth or he would have by now. "I'm sorry to hear that, I bet they're all really nice."

Dean genuinely smiles, "They're all incredible people and I love them more than anything. It just hasn't been an easy road to get here."

"I bet. My family is all back in Virginia, along with a good chunk of my friends. The last few weeks have been kinda hard only communicating with them over the phone." I respond, sharing a bit about myself. I miss them, but this is something I needed to do for myself.

"And how has that been going?" He asks curiously causing me to giggle.

"Well just look at how I met you and I think that answers your question."

The smile he gives me is heart stopping. "I wouldn't call it terrible. You seem pretty cool, so I can't consider it a solely bad thing."

I pull my braid over my shoulder to mess with it, "I think you should pay attention to the road before we crash."

He rolls his eyes, "You're being dramatic. I'm a great driver. But I've been spending way too much time with the guys at the house since my best friend decided to move out and live with my brother. This is refreshing already. I think Cass would kill me if I brought Linc tonight."

"Hold on, I'm a bit confused on a few things. Your best friend is dating your brother, and you think this Cassidy person will be more relieved you brought someone you hardly know to whatever tonight is?" I'm starting to get a little skeptical about tonight. I mean yes, Dean is nice, but I feel like I'm way out of my league right now.

"And I'm definitely ready to learn more about you. Sorry, Cassidy is my best friend who also dating my brother. She helped me get on my feet again after my dad cut me off, and is kind of the whole reason I applied to the fire academy. If it wasn't for her, I'd be stuck in some stuffy suit at the family company. She's also been great for Maddox." Dean admits proudly, and I'm really glad I said yes to tonight. So far, everything has been a breeze. I've got a few questions, but I'm hoping they will be answered as the night goes on.

Until we pull up to a townhouse with cars parked in front of it that cost more than I could possibly add up in my head. He really wasn't kidding about his car being nothing compared to these. Dean doesn't even seem phased and now I'm back to second guessing my decision to wear a skirt and sweater. I'm sure I'll be way underdressed if this is the house we're at.

"Last chance to back out?" He asks after parking the car in front of the house.

I push a smile on my face, "Hell no. I want to find out a lot more about you and I'm betting all the answers are behind that door."

And boy was I surprised by the people we found on the other side of the door. None other than Hayes Benson and his wife who I was extremely jealous of six years ago. Ruth and I used to get the business magazines at the grocery store because they always had something about him in them.

He's holding their daughter in his lap and I look at Dean with more questions than I came in with. I see Tessa Kaplan sitting next to another guy and I am shocked.

"Hey guys," Dean says as a short woman comes up and hugs him tightly.

"Where have you been? We almost thought you weren't coming." She says shaking her head at him.

Dean smiles at her while I'm trying to figure out what exactly I've walked into. "We were like five minutes late. Chill out Cass."

"Dean don't you dare tell me to 'chill out,'" She glares and I have to admit for as short as she is, her expression is rather intimidating. "Oh my gosh, you brought someone other than Linc, thank god." She exclaims doing a complete one eighty.

Okay, if this is Cassidy, that would make her Dean's best friend. The one that lives with his brother. I'm kind of following, but also not at all.

I give a timid wave even though she's right next to me because I have no idea what to do. I am just shell shocked.

"This is my friend Lacey. Lacey, meet my crazy family." He jokes and I shake my head in disbelief. "I can take your coat?" He offers and I hold my crutches in one hand while balancing on one foot as I try to take my jacket off.

"Oh hun, what happened to you?" Hayes's wife asks, standing up to help me. "I'm Sephine."

I struggle to find my words for a second, "Uh-the diner I worked at caught on fire last week and I tripped trying to help customers get out. The doctors said it's just a bad sprain and I'll be good as new in a few days hopefully."

Dean reappears with another person behind him. They have the same features for the most part so I'm guessing that this is his brother. "Look at me, saving lives left and right." He jokes causing Hayes to chuckle.

"Well we sure could use you around at the company. But I get why you choose not to spend your time there, it's kinda boring. It's nice to meet you Lacey, I'm Hayes, Dean's cousin, and this little peanut is Marley."

My heart melts a little at the sight because he doesn't seem like the guy who posed in the magazines. That was also eight years ago so it's clear that a lot has changed.

Tessa lifts her hand up in a short wave, "I'm Tessa and this is my husband Grayson." She says motioning to the man sitting next to her.

"So Dean helped you out of the fire as he so subtly mentioned?" The new guy that came back with Dean asks curiously.

I nod slowly, "Yep. He's pretty good at his job," I try to joke and Cassidy beams.

"Well any friend of Dean's is a friend of ours." She says warmly and I smile back at her. Dean was right, they are a friendly bunch.

"Except for Linc, he isn't allowed to another family function," Tessa groans, leaning into Grayson.

I sit down in one of the unoccupied seats as Dean takes the one next to me, thankfully staying close by. "Why don't you guys like him?"

"Maddox, why don't you tell the story about what happened last time since it was your idea he be invited," Cassidy directs as I finally learn his name.

He laughs gently taking his own seat next to Hayes, "We had the get together at Dean's. We couldn't just not invite his roommate? But anyways, Linc is perfectly fine until he starts drinking. He gets a little... rowdy to say the least. He said a few things about what he thinks about people with money, and it's left a sour taste to say it politely."

This is surprising because Linc seemed like a pretty nice guy when I met him? "He's not all bad. Linc said to tell you guys that he was sorry?" Dean tries to excuse, but it's clear that whatever was said is not going to easily be forgiven.

Grayson shakes his head at Dean, "You can tell him that he'll have to try harder than that. They all suck at forgiving if you haven't figured that out yet."

His comment causes me to giggle as Tessa and Sephine look at each other, "Sure, we aren't. Grayson, I think you forget the only reason you found out who Tessa was is because I had her over at my house after forgiving her!"

Grayson backtracks, "Okay. So you forgave Tessa, and when are we going to stop bringing that up?"

I tune out their friendly bickering to try and figure out what exactly is going on here tonight. Thankfully, I wasn't too off base with the dress code, but I would bet my apartment that all of their clothing is designer. If Dean is related to Hayes then I have a pretty good idea that he has a decent amount of money.

So this brings the question of who is Dean? I get they don't like Linc, but there is no reason to bring a stranger to a family get together?

I'm brought out of my daze when Dean nudges me, "Lacey? You okay?"

I put a smile on, especially when I realize that everyone in the room is staring at me. "Is there something on my face?"

Cassidy shakes her head, "No, I just wanted to try and include you into the conversation. You looked a little spaced out," She tries to joke and I can feel the heat of embarrassment crawling up the back of my neck.

"Sorry, it's a bad habit of mine. You guys can continue on though, I'm happy to listen." This is just a bit overwhelming. Dean did a shit job giving me a heads up about who all was in his family.

Sephine shakes her head, "No way. I want to hear more about how you guys met."

Maddox is peering at me curiously from where he sits next to Hayes and I want to hide from the way he is trying to read me. It's uncomfortable.

Dean shrugs and motions to me, "You can tell the story."

I play with the end of my braid as I recap the last week of my life. "Well, the fire is where I hurt my ankle, but Dean is the firefighter that pulled me out. My best friend convinced me that it would be a great idea to go to the firehouse and thank him. I'm not even sure why I went, but I said thanks. We chatted for a few minutes and he invited me to come with tonight?"

Cassidy is smiling at Dean, but she says nothing. I do want to know what the look she gave him is about though. My god there are so many things I want to know right now.

"You really are saving lives. Impressive," Grayson nods his head at Dean.

"I tried telling you that earlier and Maddox made fun of me for pointing it out!"

Maddox scoffs, "Because you were humbly bragging. It sounds a lot better when it comes from the person you rescued. Besides, I'm your older brother. I'm supposed to be making fun of you."

Dean responds very maturely by sticking his tongue out at him. I try to hide my laughter at his response because it's quite obvious he is the youngest of them. But their love for each other is there too. They are a fun group of people.

"As the younger brother who often gets teased by an older brother, you definitely had that one coming. Maddox is right; it does sound better when Lacey says it." He admits tiredly before redirecting his attention towards me. "So the place you worked at had a fire which led to tonight."

"Yep. Wasn't exactly what I thought would happen when I moved here." I say twisting my hands in my lap.

"If you'd be interested, my assistant just left for maternity leave and I need to find one quickly." My jaw drops slightly and I try to recover quickly.

"Um, yes. I-I would definitely be interested."

Grayson smiles easily at me, "Great, you can get my number from Dean later to send me your resume."

I nod as Dean clasps his hands together in front of him. "When are we eating?"

Sephine shakes her head, "You'll have to ask Hayes. I think all of us can agree that I'm not to be let into the kitchen."

"Because you have burned water before! Water Montgomery," Hayes teases her, bouncing Marley on his knee.

"Give Marley to Auntie Tessa before you end up burning dinner and we have to order Pizza." Tessa says holding out her arms and Marley is passed over.

"I'm not going to burn dinner. I have a timer that isn't supposed to go off for another ten minutes. Besides, not everyone is here yet." He says rolling his eyes, "Lacey, I hope you like chicken. It's what Cass requested so that's what was made."

"Yeah, chicken is great." I respond slowly feeling more at ease with everyone in the room. They all seem so normal?

Dean however looks confused next to me, "I thought we were the last ones to arrive? Are Ollie and Ryan coming?" He asks Sephine who shakes her head.

"No, they're in Europe for the weekend."

Europe. For the weekend? She said that so nonchalantly. My god I really am with the one percent of the population right now. If only Ruth could see me now.

Tessa is completely occupied with Marley who is giggling happily in her lap, while Grayson stands up. "I'm going to get a beer, Dean do you want one? Maddox?"

Maddox stands up, "I'll just come with you. See if Hayes needs any help."

"Uh, sure. Thanks." Dean smiles briefly at them before checking his phone. The only guy left in the room but it doesn't seem like he cares.

"So how exactly do you guys all know each other?" I ask hesitantly and Cassidy chuckles.

"Well, I'm the newest addition to the Benson clan. I met Maddox at a gala or something almost two years ago. He then introduced me to Dean, Sephine and Hayes in that order." She explains and Sephine picks up the slack.

"I know Hayes and Tessa from high school which feels like forever ago. I introduced Cass and Tessa. Ollie isn't here tonight, but he's my best friend from high school. We also dance together at the New York Ballet Company. I met Maddox five years ago while he was engaged to Paige which is another long story."

"I was Sephine's enemy in high school and I dated Hayes then," Tessa jokes, winking over at Sephine. "Grayson and I had a one night stand like five-six years ago? He is the lawyer for Benson Pharmaceuticals and Hayes's best friend if you couldn't tell."

I nod, trying to follow along, but that was a lot of information. "Wow." That's all there really is to say.

Sephine chuckles, "I know it's confusing, but it'll get easier. I'm assuming Dean told you nothing before you got here?"

"Not really. It's okay though, I was just a little shocked by everything." I admit taking another glance over at him to see him on his phone still. What is he doing?

"Dean tends to forget that often. The first time Linc met Tessa, he accidentally sprayed the drink in his mouth all over me in shock. You're already doing better than he did." Cass teases giving me a smile. She seems to be only a few years older than me, but I know besides Marley that I'm the youngest one here.

The doorbell rings before I can respond and she jumps up to get the door as Sephine and Tessa resume chatting. Dean immediately sits up straighter and I catch a glimpse of nervousness on his face. Who would be at the door making him act this way?

Cass returns with a taller woman with shoulder length curly hair. "Sorry I'm late. I was in the middle of a piece when I realized what time it was." She apologizes, sitting down next to Sephine who welcomes her with a hug.

"Oh Paige, have you met Dean's new girlfriend?" Tessa asks and I recognize the slight look of shock on her face.

"No, I haven't." Her smile is polite, but I can tell she's trying to figure the situation out just like I am. Didn't Sephine say Maddox had a different fiancé named Paige? Is this her?

Dean is quick to correct her, "Tess, Lacey and I are just friends. I don't have a girlfriend." He hasn't taken his eyes off Paige since she walked in.

Oh my god.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

316 50 14
From the outside they look like the perfect family, they've got it all - the houses, careers, the money and their happy relationships. But someone ou...
208 1 17
It's been 3 years since you last saw each other and you've both changed. He's famous and it looks like it's gotten to his head. After spending a nigh...
138K 8.4K 34
Jesse's entire life is a charade. Everything he does, he does to hide the truth. His girlfriend? Fake. His hair colour? Fake. His love for soccer? Fa...
930K 28.8K 44
Emma White never had the perfect life. Her mother died giving birth to her, her father was always working and never gave her attention, but when she...