Great Loss (a hotchniss story)

By lylovescm

Aaron Hotchner gets some news about one of his members, Emily Prentiss. Little did the team know, he develope... More

background
worry (emily's POV)
feelings (hotch's POV)
truth (emily's POV)
plead (hotch's POV)
confess (emily's POV)
regret (hotch's POV)
rush (emily's POV)
gone (hotch's POV)
the letters
new start (emily's POV)
contemplate (hotch's POV)
anger (emily's POV)
secrets (hotch's POV)
aware (emily's POV)
odd (hotch's POV)
baby & death (emily's POV)
grieve (hotch's POV)
stress (emily's POV)
suspicions (hotch's POV)
new life (emily's POV)
Athena (narrator's POV)
unveil
encounter
trapped
too much?
a moment
family
a question
talks
perfect
epilogue

a blast & its aftermath

957 11 4
By lylovescm

The Prentiss' and Luke spend the day exploring, they go downtown and shop. Athena wanted to do so much more but she was worn out.

"Mommy? Let's go look at the toys," Athena whines.

Emily laughs. "There's a tomorrow. We can come back soon. You need a nap. And Mommy needs some wine."

Luke grabs their shopping bags and puts them into the car. As they drive off, Athena falls asleep. "So...how was it?"

Emily looks out the window. "It was okay. She called him Dad and they got to know each other for a couple minutes."

"That's good, but you don't seem happy for her?" Luke looks over to her.

He's right. She wasn't happy. Emily Prentiss wanted to keep Athena a "secret" between everyone who lived in their house, but under the circumstances, everyone she knew, knew about her daughter. She wanted to protect her baby.

Emily sighs. "I'm happy for her. So happy. It's just that she has you and Spencer, and Tara and Elle. It was supposed to just us. And now Aaron wants to be in her life."

"You can't blame him, she is his daughter," Luke says. "Don't use your heartbreak to rip your daughter and her dad apart."

Luke was right again. Now that Athena knew who her dad was and how important he was in her life, she couldn't tear them apart.

Changing the subject, Emily wipes her tears. "So what'd you do while we were gone? You weren't in the car till minutes later."

"Um... I was talking to that technical analyst, Penelope," Luke says. "I had to use a bathroom and I got lost."

Emily smiles. "You should ask her out."

"Nah... she's with that man who's buff," Luke laughs. "I could never be with a goddess like that."

"You never know till you try," warned Emily.

They finally reach the house and Luke gets Athena from her car seat. "I'll put her in her room."

Emily agrees and she grabs the bags. She walks into the house to see the house clean and Tara and Elle are sitting on the couch with some wine. "Save some for me ladies. I got a lot to tell you."

She drops the bags near the door and grabs a glass and explains what happened.

"Damn, what are you gonna do now?" Elle asks.

She was tired of this question. "I'm not sure. All I know is that Athena's 4th birthday is coming up in two months, and I need to plan for that."

Tara sets down her glass of wine. "Wait, stop thinking ahead. Your birthday is literally next month."

"What should we do for Emily Prentiss's birthday bash?" Elle asks.

Emily didn't know what she wanted. All she wanted to do is spend the day with her daughter and loved ones.

Tara gasps. "We could go to the club! I haven't been there in ages."

"Maybe we could all get some," Elle smirks. "Don't worry. Tara and I can handle your birthday. You focus on Athena's."

Emily agreed, though she was scared. She knew they were going to do something suspicious.

-

Over the next couple of weeks, Tara and Elle become very secretive. As for Athena, she begins to think about her birthday next month. "Can we invite Daddy?"

"Let's see."

As time went by, Hotch has been trying to see Athena every week, when they're not on cases. "Spence, why would you give him my number?"

"He was going to get it anyways, better from me than Strauss," Spencer explains. "You can't keep Athena from him Em."

Emily glares at him. "Reid I'm not, I've been spending lots of time with Athena because she's growing up too fast."

It's true, Emily doesn't want Athena to grow up. Even though she's so little, she's about to turn 4.

"Hotch needs to spend time with her too," Spencer replies.

She gives in. As Hotch and Emily communicate, it was only for Athena. Hotch tried to talk about other things except for Athena but Emily always ignored him. "So... your birthday's coming up?"

Emily shoots a look at him. "How do you know?"

"I remembered and Elle Greenaway invited me for an event for your birthday," Hotch says, watching Athena go down the slide at the park. "I'm not telling you what it's about. But you do need a babysitter."

"Why?" Emily asks.

Hotch smirks. "Because it's an adult party."

Emily doesn't trust babysitters or anyone except the people who have been there since Athena's been born. She doesn't want to let down her wall.

"Jessica can watch Athena for the night," Hotch says. "She can bring Jack to your place if Athena's more comfortable."

It's not that Emily doesn't trust Jessica, it's just that Emily's never really left Athena. But she had to someday.

Emily looks at him. "We can — um arrange that."

"Good."

-

The day came. Emily's birthday.

It was a sunny day. "Happy birthday Mommy!"

The night before, Athena sneaks into her Uncle Luke's room. "Athena, how'd you get down here?"

"Let's make Mommy a yummy breakfast tomorrow," Athena whispers. "It's her birthday tomorrow!"

Luke groggily nods his head. "Come on let's take you back into your room. It's past your bedtime Missy."

Luke carries a tray full of food while Athena brings in flowers and balloons. "Look Mommy!"

She gets put on the bed and Emily gives her a kiss on the cheek. "Thank you Baby, it looks so pretty and good!"

They eat in bed, after they're done, they both walk downstairs to see her close friends awake. "Happy birthday Em!"

Hugs go around. "You better get ready for tonight!"

Emily completely forgot about her "surprise" birthday party. She spent her time spending time with Athena.

"I don't want to leave Athena," Emily whispers. "She doesn't know I'm leaving her either."

Elle sighs. "You know it's gonna happen one day. Besides you told me that Hotch's sister in-law is coming with her son since we haven't gotten a baby sitter yet."

Babysitter for what? I'm home all day.

Emily gives in. "What am I gonna wear?"

"Just wait till tonight, Elle and I found the perfect dress for you," Tara smirks.

Night falls and it's time for Emily to get ready. As she sits on the counter of her bathroom, she contemplates.

Tara busts through the door. "Yo — you aren't ready."

"Can't we just stay home?" Emily pleads.

Elle walks through into the bathroom in a brown velvet romper, wearing black stilettos. She puts a diamond earring in her ear. Her make up's full glam. As for Tara, she's wearing a royal long sleeve dress along with some royal blue heels. They really went out for shopping.

"Look, if you don't have fun tonight, we won't go out again, and we'll get a taxi for you to come home," Elle bargains. "If you do, you at least need to take a couple drinks."

She did miss the old times. Drinking and dancing on the dance floor. Emily nods in agreement. Tara and Elle shriek in excitement. Elle begins to an easy glam look on Emily.

Tara walks in after doing light makeup on herself.  "Never seen you like this Prentiss."

Emily hasn't seen herself like this either. "Probably the only chance you'll see me like this Lewis."

"Okay, your dress is on the bed! Hurry up and change, we'll be downstairs," Elle says. "We got you a small handbag to fit your things."

The girls rush out of the room in excitement. Their friend was finally going to go out.

Elle rushes back into the room. "You... you know... you groomed right?"

Emily walks to the bed, chuckling. "Get out Greenaway. I'll be down soon."

Laughing, Elle walks out of the room. Emily takes the dress out and begins to dress herself. She slips on some red bottoms and puts a red lipstick on. One last look in the mirror and she's out the bedroom door.

"Let's go Em!"

She looks downstairs and she sees a group of people waiting for her. As her heels click on the wooden stairs, heads turn toward her. Luke whistles as he carries Athena.

Walking down was Emily Prentiss, in a bright red silky dress, that ends a couple inches above her knees. The straps were about a couple inches wide, Elle knew she couldn't handle spaghetti straps. Hair curled and easy but classy make up done.

"Wow Birthday Girl, you look stunning," Luke says in awe, wearing a light blue button up with dark blue pants.

Emily smiles. "Thank you."

Athena stares at Emily. "Mommy? Where are you going?"

As Luke sets her down, Emily crouches to get to Athena's level. "Mommy and your Uncles and Auntie are going out for the night. Daddy's other family is coming to watch you."

"But I don't want you to leave," Athena wails. "I want to watch movies with you."

Emily looks around. "You'll have fun Baby. Mommy promises that she'll be home on time to tuck you in."

Athena looks at Emily and hugs her. "Okay."

"I'll tell Jessica to give you ice cream but only a little bit," Emily whispers.

The doorbell rings. It's Jessica. "Oh my, when Aaron told me that you had a daughter I couldn't believe it. I can't believe you're alive."

"I'm sure Aaron's explained," Emily adds on.

"Me and Athena will have so much fun, and I'm so sorry Jack couldn't be here. He was invited on a last minute sleepover," Jessica says.

Emily nods. "We'll be back before midnight. Help yourself to anything, I mean it Jessica. If you need to find a room, ask Athena, she knows this house pretty well, although it's quite large. And this little one gets a little ice cream tonight."

She crouches down to Athena. "I'll be home. Be a good girl for Jessica. I love you Angel."

Athena kisses Emily's cheek and hugs her. "I love you Mommy."

Luke helps Emily put on a long black coat and Elle puts Emily's essentials in her black handbag. They walk out of the house and they get into the car.

"Finally! The parents are out and about," Elle shrieks.

Tara looks back at her. "Are you sure you didn't have a little bit to drink back at the house?"

"Haha," Elle says sarcastically. "Em, you ready?"

Emily gives a big sigh. "Yup, let's get this night over with."

As they arrive at the club, it's already packed. They show their IDS and they walk in. Loud music blares and Emily's already annoyed. She hasn't heard music this loud since a couple years ago. Elle points to the second floor where it's a certain part is closed off. "UP THERE!"

The four of them walk up and a man removes the barrier for them to go through. "YOU GUYS MADE IT!"

Near the balcony, Emily spots JJ, Penelope, Kate, Derek, Rossi, Reid, and Hotch, all were looking classy.

"Well we weren't going to miss drinks? Who's paying anyways cus I know damn well Greenaway can't afford shots for all of us," Morgan snaps.

Garcia hits him and they all look at Elle. "Shut up Morgan. And we have a sponsor. Mr. David Rossi! Or as Garcia calls him 'Italian Stallion'."

Everyone looks at Rossi. "What? Elle and I got to talking and you know me, I'm loaded with money..."

Kate and Penelope hug Emily. "Happy birthday! You look smoking hot."

"Wait! Let's have Emily blow her birthday cake before we party!" Elle shouts.

They gather around as Rossi lights the candle. They sing Happy Birthday as Emily blushes. "Thank you everyone."

She closes her eyes to make a wish and she then blows out her candle.

"Shall we start drinking?" Tara calls out. Almost everyone takes shots, as Hotch and Rossi drink scotch.

Within the hour, Garcia, Morgan, Tara, Elle, Reid, Kate, and Luke are on the dance floor, dancing to 24K Magic by Bruno Mars. Emily couldn't believe that they all got Spencer to get on the dance floor, he barely drank.

Emily takes another shot before walking to the balcony. She looks down and realizes that there were more people than she anticipated.

JJ walks up to her. "Hey."

"Hey, why aren't you down there with them?" Emily asks.

JJ shakes her head. "My dance moves aren't that good. And um I kinda wanted to talk to you about what happened."

Emily turned to her. "I said that I forgive you and Garcia."

"But to me, I want to explain my side, I didn't get to," JJ says. "Em, I was upset that you didn't say anything. It was wrong of me to chose sides. I was in shock and I never wanted you to leave. Since that day, I've always had that guilt feeling inside of me. That if I never said that, you would still be here. And we still would've had that bond."

Emily knew that JJ was saying this from the heart. She noticed JJ barely drank more than 2 shots from the minute they arrived. Even though Emily was somewhat drunk, she couldn't leave JJ hanging.

"JJ, if I'm being honest, you helped me see a new light. I made new bonds in London, I carried my daughter in me for months," Emily explains. "To be honest, life was peaceful there. And don't beat yourself up. It's the past. I'm happy now, with my daughter."

JJ goes in for a hug and Emily hugs her back. A tray of shots pass by and Emily snags two. "To rekindling old friendships."

They cheers and Penelope shouts their names from the stairs. "Boss Man and Italian Stallion, come with us too!"

JJ finally gives in and takes Penelope's hand as they walk back down.

After taking a couple more shots, Emily finally heads down to the dance floor. The song My Girl by The Temptations begin to play.

Instead of dancing, the ladies being to scream out the lyrics, causing the people around them to look towards them. A new song Emily doesn't know plays right after and she dances, closing her eyes to feel the vibes around her.

She hasn't felt this alive in a while. The past couple of years she's been stressed out by protecting her own daughter. Tonight was the night she was able to let loose.

Suddenly a hand wraps around Emily's waist. "Hey beautiful."

Emily opens her eyes to see a stranger right in her face. "Let's get outta here?"

"There you are Love," a voice says. "I've been looking for you."

She could barely see a thing. "Sorry Man, it's my bad, she looked like she was alone."

The stranger then leaves, leaving Emily in someone's hands. They trudge upstairs and the person sets Emily onto the booth. "Reid, send me their address, I'll drop her off."

"You sure?" Reid asks.

"Yeah, just make sure to get her friends home too, they all look pretty wasted on the dance floor," the voice says. "If they ask, I brought her home."

Emily couldn't believe that she was so wasted that she couldn't open her eyes nor figure out who's voice it was.

The person puts a jacket on her and grabs her hand bag. They put her left arm over them and they walk out of the club. Getting onto the passenger side, the person guides Emily to the seat, strapping her in.

As they head off, Emily moves around as if she can't get comfortable in the leather seats she was in. She then feels nauseous.

"I — I'm going to throw up..." Emily mumbles.

Not knowing what to do, the person tries to search for a plastic bag. But they were too late. Emily through up on her jacket.

The person threw her jacket in the back, they soon arrived at Emily's house. They get out and help Emily out of the car. They ring the doorbell. "Hey, it's only 11."

"She's pretty wasted," the person says. "And how was she?"

"She was perfect. Athena missed her Mom but we played and watched movies, she's asleep in her room," a feminine voice says.

"I'll take it from here, thank you Jessica," the person thanks.

The door closes and they walk up some more stairs.

Why are there so many stairs? Who even is this person?

Emily finally is set down, she gets under her fluffy comforter. She squirms around to find that perfect spot to lay still in.

The water turns on and a cloth touches her forehead. It's dim in the room as Emily opens one of her eyes.

"Y—yo—you know what?" Emily slurs. "I love vodka and te—tequila. They're my top 10, Athena being f—first."

The person chuckles. "I know that, from that one time we went out after a long case, the night before we left."

Emily smiles in a funny way. "Hotch was no fun. All he drinks is Scotch with Rossi. And is always strict."

"Am I really now?" Hotch whispers. "And Scotch is delightful."

"Yeah, he's always hard on the team, but when it came to me, he was wrapped my finger because he loved me," Emily mumbles. "It was a good thing because he looked happy."

Hotch gets up and wrings the cloth in the sink. He runs it under warm water and gets back near the bed to put it on Emily's forehead again. "Was he really?"

Emily scratches her head. "Mhm. I was happy with him too. A shit ton of happy. Until he broke my heart."

She opens her mouth to say something but instead, she snores.

He couldn't leave her in the house by herself with Athen so he decides to go downstairs. Hotch looks through the cabinets to find the medicine one. He finds the bottle he's looking for and brings it upstairs along with a cup of water.

Hotch sets it next to the bed on the night stand. He looks at Emily before walking out. Not knowing what to do, he slowly looked around the living room. He admired the pictures of Athena as she grew up. In one shelf held a baby book. Hotch gets a hold of it and sits down. He flips through the pages to see his daughter grow up within 5 minutes. He catches himself tearing up, before he hears a scream. "MOMMY!"

Dashing upstairs, Hotch opens Athena's bedroom door to see a crying toddler in tears. "What's wrong sweetie?"

"Daddy? Where's Mommy? I need her," Athena cries, hugging Neo, her stuffed panda.

Hotch didn't have the heart to tell her that she was passed out in the room. He remembered the time Jack found him blacked out on the floor in their home. With his daughter, he didn't want that happening.

"It's okay, what happened?" Hotch asks.

Athena gets out of bed and jumps into Hotch's arms. "I had a bad dream that something bad happened to Mommy."

Now that his daughter was looking for comfort, he couldn't leave so he got himself comfortable on the floor. He pulls the large cover off the bed to cover him and his daughter. He begins to rock her as he reassures Athena. "Mommy's okay. She's in the other room sleeping. I'll stay here with you."

Within 10 minutes, Athena falls asleep in his arms. He looks down to see a mini Emily Prentiss, she definitely looked like her mom. Slowly getting up from the floor, he sets Athena down and tucks her back in. He gives her a kiss and walks out.

Athena shuffles in her small bed and she mumbles something, before he closes her door. "I love you Daddy."

He smiles and finally closes the door, then leaning on it.

She just said that she loves him.

-

The bright light wakes Emily up, with a throbbing headache. She's still in her dress. She looks around and sees some medicine and a cup of water on her right. Taking it, she tries to recall her memories of last night.

What time is it?

Emily looks at her alarm clock. It was almost 12pm. She slept in, but that meant, where's Athena?

Grabbing a robe, Emily wraps it around herself. The house was quiet. She walks downstairs to find Penelope, Tara, and Luke covered in blankets on top of their long, white cloud couch. She shakes them. "Where's Athena? And Penelope what are you doing here?"

Luke wakes up first. "Ah shit, huh? What do you mean?"

"What time is it?" Tara mumbles.

"Let me sleep in peace please," Garcia complains. "It's my day off."

The door opens and in walks Spencer and Athena. "Hey."

Emily looks at Athena all dressed. "We went to Uncle Spence's house and we brought you food!"

Athena gives her mom a hug and walks to the dining table as Spencer sets the coffee down. "Coffee?"

She glares at him. "Spencer what happened last night?"

Spencer whispers. "You see. All 4 of you, along with Penelope and Morgan were the ones who had the most shots. Kate was more responsible, from our last experience when we went out after a case. From what I could tell, you were racing to see who could consume the most shots."

"Mommy! Daddy gave me cuddles last night," Athena calls out.

This was news to Emily. "What is she talking about? Di—did Aaron bring me home?"

"You were all dancing on the floor and Hotch brought you back hours before I brought these 3 home," Spencer blurts out. "Actually 5."

Emily stares at him. "What? He volunteered."

Coming out of Luke's bedroom was Elle and Derek. "You're all too loud."

"Spence, what actually happened last night?" Emily whispers.

"Did you not hear me? It was your birthday, we went out, everyone in this room, except for me, got pretty wasted. You being the first one to take at least 10 shots. Hotch decided to bring you home and then helped me get everyone else in here, since he didn't want me driving Garcia and Morgan around. He left around 4am," Spencer explains. "Then I went to sleep in Elle's room, and Athena woke up. She ate and I needed to take a shower and change so I brought her with me to my place. We got food and coffee and now we're here."

Elle huffs. "Why were me and Morgan in a room together? Shouldn't it be Morgan and his "Baby Girl"?"

Spencer takes off his bag. "You two were the ones who spent the whole night attached each other. Didn't think you'd wanna be separated from him."

Penelope, Tara, and Luke finally get up. "How fucked up did we get last night?"

"A lot, I brought some more medicine and there's coffee and food," Spence instructs. "Athena and I will be your doctors. She's inexperienced but I have 3 PhD's so she's my little helper."

Emily smiles and sits next to Athena. "How did you do with Jessica?"

Athena leans back into her chair, playing with Neo. "We watched movies and played and we ate ice cream."

"That's good Baby."

The rest of the day consists of sleeping and watching movies. They all changed as for Penelope, Derek, and Spencer used their pajamas in their go bags when needed. Surprisingly, 7 people and a toddler can fit on a massive couch. But figured it was going to break so they moved the table, right in the middle of the room and spread blankets all over. Athena switched from the floor to the couch from time and time. They ordered take out and watched rom-coms, a request from all the ladies. "So what's up the flirting last night?"

Elle sits up. "What do you mean Tara?"

"Don't know you remember? You were grinding all up on Morgan, and Garcia kept touching Alvez's chest. And what did Spencer say? That you were inseparable?"

"Actually, I said —," Spencer gets cut off.

"Woah woah, there was no such thing," Luke justifies. Derek nods in agreement.

Taking out her phone, Tara shows and scrolls through the pictures taken last night. From blowing the birthday cake to taking shots, to the stumbling while dancing. "Oh shit."

"Hey, there's a child here," Emily hits Luke playfully. "HAHA you guys look like couples."

"Mhm. I don't like you guys right now," Penelope mumbles. "Just because I'm touching his chest doesn't mean I have feelings for him."

Elle shrieks. "Who said about having feelings for someone?"

Luke chuckles. "You got feelings for me Penelope?"

"I'm not answering that. I just met you," Penelope insisted.

"And what about you Auntie Elle?" Athena asks. "Do you like Chocolate Thunder?"

Heads turn towards Athena in amazement and surprise. She caught on so quickly. She hides under the blanket, snuggling close to Emily. "Okay okay, stop looking at her, she's shy. But answer my daughter Greenaway, don't keep the princess waiting."

Elle's eyes grow big. Emily shrugs it off. "Um..."

She suddenly gets off the couch and gets in front of the TV. The lights are off and the only thing that's bright is the TV, playing White Chicks.

"Derek, I —," Elle looks at Emily for support. She mouths for her to keep on going.

She takes in a deep breath. "I've always been in love with you. I didn't realize till I left. Ask Emily or Luke, I talked about you to them. I wouldn't have left but I really needed to. And God, it's not because of your abs or any of your physical features, although I like those too. Your personality, the way that you show affection and how you care for those around you."

Derek gets up and walks towards Elle. "I love you too."

They kiss as the end credits to the movie show up. Emily covers Athena's eyes. "Okay you two. You can do that somewhere else but not here, my daughter is present."

Penelope begins to tear up. "I'm so happy for you Chocolate Thunder!"

Everyone hugs Elle and Derek and they look at the time. "I think it's time to go home."

Spencer bids his goodbye, along with Garcia and Morgan. "Thank you Prentiss, for letting us crash here. Hope it won't be the last time we see you."

"It better not be," Penelope adds. "I'm the spoiler and I haven't had the time to spoil your perfect little angel, who by the way is a little genius."

"Looks like Pretty Boy became a good influence on her," Morgan ruffles Spencer's hair. "And tell my girl that I'll be calling her as soon as I get home."

Emily waves as they leave and she walks back into the house. Athena insists on watching one more movie after bath time and the adults gave in.

As they all took much needed baths and the house was cleaned up, they sat on the couch getting ready to watch Moana. 30 minutes in, Tara, Luke, and Elle are already asleep. "Mommy, look."

She laughs as she wakes them up. "You guys can go to bed. I'll finish this movie with Athena."

They agree and they give their goodnight hugs to Athena. They trudge to their rooms and Athena snuggles with her mom.

About an hour in, Athena falls asleep. Emily decided to continue watching to find out if Moana restores the heart of Te Fiti.

The doorbell suddenly rings.

It's late. And I'm not expecting anyone.

Emily pauses the movie and gets up quickly so the doorbell doesn't ring again. She looks through the peephole. She opens the door in a confused state.

"Hotch?"

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡
Author's Note:
omg i'm so glad i don't have writer's block right now cus im writing a lot (long chapters).
i do know that i don't want to right more than 40 chapters so this story might be ending soon. but maybe a new story might come out ;)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.1K 482 29
It's took years for her to see that the situation she was in was abuse, mentally and physically. Y/n Marie, once a lawyer with the BAU, is strugglin...
13.2K 214 17
A boss and his own agent who has her own secrets to guard? She knows that not only is her boss off limits but he wouldn't want a damned soul like her...
341K 6.3K 68
Jessie Grey just got hired in the BAU and feels like her life is finally getting in order. She finally found a way out of her old life and is more th...
5.5K 92 17
After Penelope chooses to leave the BAU, Emily and JJ get closer. JJ is still facing the consequences of confessing her love to Spencer but no one k...