the truth about survival part...

By unbrokenreflection

Kamille Ali considered herself lucky for being able to find a second family in a world that constantly stole... More

i. and the search begins
ii. truly alone
iii. road trip
iv. long time no see
v. getting revenge
vi. it's history
vii. what could have been
viii. crazy woman
viv. haunting green eyes
x. h2-no
xi. stay
xii. forgive her
xiii. a familiar face
xiv. forgiven
xvi. mía
xvii. a messy plan
xviii. hypocrate
xix. a little bit of fun
xx. better as friends
xxi. a setup
xxii. babysitting duty
xxiii. wearing your heart on your sleeve
xxiv. just be careful
xxv. a sudden realisation
xxvi. it's not the right time
xxvii. the promise of a lifetime
xxviii. make a move
xxviv. the answer is always yes
epilogue
a final thank you!

xv. it's temporary

1.6K 143 36
By unbrokenreflection

"Can you cover your left eye for a moment?" June asked Alicia with a small smile.

Alicia nodded, covering her good eye, and awaited her next instruction.

June raised a pencil in front of Alicia's face, a fair distance away. "There's an eraser on the top of this pencil. Can you tell me which direction it's facing?"

Alicia nodded, clearing her throat. "The ceiling."

June nodded and took a small step back, changing the direction so it was facing to the left. "How about now?"

"To the left," Alicia answered without struggle.

June stepped back again, turning the pencil so the eraser was facing the ceiling again. "Now?"

"The ceiling?"

"That a guess or are you certain?"

"It's– I– yeah, it's the ceiling."

"Okay, how about..." She stepped back, so it was facing the floor. "Now?"

Alicia chewed on her lip, trying her best to focus on the pencil, but she was clearly struggling. "I... I don't know."

Kamille pressed her lips together nervously, glancing at June, who lowered the pencil and wore a comforting smile as she stepped closer to Alicia.

"It's okay, you've made progress," she said as Alicia lowered her hand. "It's only been a week. Your sight is clearly returning."

Alicia seemed disheartened, but nodded. "Yeah, sure..."

"How's the pain everywhere else?" June asked, watching attentively.

"Tolerable," she admitted, pushing her hair behind her ear. "I've been using ice packs and I think it's working. The bruises, er..."

"They're looking a lot better," Kamille finished for her when she wouldn't, earning both of their attention. She continued, looking to June, saying, "We've been walking her around when she's up for it. She's not been coughing as much compared to the first few days."

"That's good, that means your breathing should feel a little better, right?" June asked Alicia.

"Yeah," she answered, and Kamille noticed a hand resting on her stomach where her bruises were. "I think I just need a shower if I'm being honest."

"Of course," June said with realisation. "We can go now if you want...?"

Alicia's cheeks were dusted pink as she said, "Actually, er, I was hoping that Kamille could... erm..."

She glanced at Kamille, certainly surprising the Brit.

Kamille raised her eyebrows. "Oh, yeah, 'course," she answered quickly, a little too quickly, hoping nobody noticed.

"Okay, well, I guess I'll leave you both to it," June said, looking between them both, before leaving them in the medbay.

"Sorry," Alicia apologised awkwardly, avoiding Kamille's eyes. "I would have asked someone else, but, er, you're the– you've already seen me, er..."

"It's cool, don't worry," Kamille replied, feeling her own cheeks grow warm with embarrassment. "Let's grab your clothes and we can go."

Alicia nodded and the the two of them collected her clothes, with Kamille grabbing a stool also, before heading to the shower.

"You sure you don't want a stool to sit on?" Kamille asked as Alicia stood in the shower cubicle, taking off her clothes.

"I'm sure," she said confidently. "I think I can manage."

"Okay, if you're certain," Kamille said with a hint of concern in her voice, leaving the stool next to her just in case. She collected the clothes Alicia hung over the shower door and put them by the sink to wash later. She sat on the sink counter and heard Alicia put the shower on. "You need anything, just let me know."

Alicia didn't say anything, but Kamille noticed her hand over the top of the door in a thumbs up gesture, making her smile.

It had been a week since the unfortunate incident with Kyan had occurred and Alicia had been making slow but hopeful progress. She struggled to breathe properly at first, her bruised ribs causing a build-up of mucus and making her cough a lot. Her right eye was causing her a lot of hassle as well, but now she was doing a lot better in just a short amount of time.

Kamille rotated with the others in keeping Alicia company and looking after her, making sure she got her walks in and didn't overexert herself. Alicia was able to get off the drip and move back into her room after the first few days, but June kept up with the checkups, knowing it would still be a while before she was back to normal.

The bruising was still heavily prominent on her face and all over her torso, but Kamille knew they were getting better and no serious damage had been done. Still, it reminded her of what she'd almost lost because of a stupid mistake. She tried not to imagine the state she could have found Alicia in if she hadn't stopped Kyan in time...

Kamille was rocking her legs at the edge of the counter as she waited for Alicia to shower, but she stopped as soon as she heard Alicia coughing a little.

Eyebrows furrowed with panic, Kamille called over the running water, "Alicia, you okay?"

She noticed Alicia's hand holding the top of the door for support and stood up worriedly, waiting just outside the door.

"I think I–" Alicia began, but coughed again, "–I may need that stool after all."

Kamille swallowed hard with worry. "Okay, step back, yeah? I'm coming in."

She waited a moment, grabbing the towel off the side and hoping Alicia listened, before opening the shower door and stepping in. She quickly turned the shower off, getting a little wet in the process, before wrapping a coughing Alicia in a towel.

"Come on," she said calmly, trying not to show her panic, as she led Alicia out the shower and onto the stool.

Alicia's coughs subsided as Kamille kneeled beside her, rubbing her back soothingly.

"Just take some big, deep breaths," Kamille instructed gently, still rubbing her back.

Alicia straightened up, clutching her towel as she breathed in and out deeply a few times.

"Better?" Kamille asked, moving so she was kneeling in front of Alicia.

She tried to meet her eyes, but Alicia looked elsewhere and nodded slowly before hiding her face in her towel.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Kamille asked quietly, resting a hand on her shoulder and subconsciously rubbing her thumb in circles.

"I'm fine," Alicia said, but it came out muffled because her head was still stuffed in her towel.

"Alicia," Kamille said knowingly, watching her with a matching expression. "Come on, tell me."

Alicia sighed dramatically, finally lifting her head. Her face was flushed as she avoided Kamille's eyes, water dripping from her hair and down her face.

"This whole thing is embarrassing," she admitted, pursing her lips.

Kamille's eyes widened a little as she realised what Alicia meant. Now that she was acknowledging their circumstances, she realised how Alicia must have felt and suddenly felt bad.

"Hey, c'mon, it's not that bad, honestly," Kamille tried to reassure her. "It's not a big deal. I mean, I've done worse... I don't know if I've told you, but when I was fourteen, I was having a shower and when I finished, I slipped on the wet floor. Like, butt naked. And my mum had to come and help me out, but she couldn't stop laughing because I was crying. I think I landed on my arse and hurt my arm, too. It was really embarrassing."

Alicia finally looked to Kamille, her green eyes sparkling with amusement as she tried to stifle a chuckle. Kamille smiled with relief, glad she'd steered the attention away from Alicia's embarrassment.

"As much as I love that little anecdote, I meant I was embarrassed because I can't seem to do anything myself," Alicia explained, wiping away the water dripping down her forehead and into her eyes.

Kamille's smile faded. "Oh."

Alicia let out a contagious laugh, her smile brightening the room in an instant, and Kamille suddenly didn't mind that she'd embarrassed herself in front of her.

"In that case, here's a more relevant anecdote," Kamille amended, playfully rolling her eyes. "After the dam, when Oliver and Mía took me in, I told you about how I hurt my leg, right?"

She nodded, attention on Kamille wholly.

"Well, I was bed-ridden for a good few months," Kamille remembered, crossing her legs to get a little more comfortable. She looked up at Alicia, continuing, "I felt the same as you, embarrassed that I couldn't do anything for myself. Oliver and Mía had to help me with everything, and if I couldn't do it myself, they'd do it. Even look for you guys. But I eventually learned that they did it because they cared about me. I couldn't have recovered without them, despite how frustrating it was to ask for their help... my point is, it gets better. You won't be like this forever."

Alicia returned Kamille's smile, but still looked down to her hands with a bothersome expression.

"I appreciate you telling me that," she said gently. "It's just, I feel stupid. This whole thing... I can't help anyone. And I won't be able to for at least another month."

"Sometimes you can't help what happens," Kamille said simply, trying to push away the guilt she felt.

Alicia sighed, sitting up straight and holding her towel with one hand as the other stayed underneath, resting on her stomach.

"Is there anything else wrong, Alicia?" Kamille asked gently, noticing her repetitive action. "I know I've been distance since before, but I'll listen now."

"It's not that," Alicia said, licking her lips and tensing her jaw a little. "It's stupid."

Kamille watched her patiently. "What is?"

Alicia smiled uncomfortably, grimacing. "I never used to care much for how I looked, but I feel so... I don't know, gross? I just... I don't recognise myself right now and it's just messing with me."

Kamille frowned when she heard Alicia talking like that. She couldn't pretend it didn't hurt her a little, as she cared about Alicia and only wanted her to feel better in both physical and mental form.

"Like I said before, this isn't permanent," she said, resting a hand on Alicia's knee and squeezing it gently. "It sucks, but bruises are temporary. And as for your eye, that'll be better in a few more weeks. Your vision will be back to normal and you'll be just like you were. Even better in fact."

Alicia offered a small smile. "It's hard to think about that when I feel like shit."

"I'm not gonna lie to you, you're probably gonna feel like shit for a while," Kamille admitted, making Alicia snicker, "but it gets better. And we're all here to help. I promise you that this," she motioned to Alicia's face, "will be as good as new by the time June and I are done with you. It doesn't even look bad now, but in a month's time, it'll look even better."

"Kamille..."

"If it doesn't, you can punch me in eye and we'll be matching," Kamille settled with a smile.

"Kamille!"

"I'm serious."

Alicia rolled her eyes, but a smile ghosted her lips.

"Are you alright to get back in the shower now, or d'you wanna call it a day?" Kamille asked, standing up.

"I think I can get back in," Alicia said, standing up carefully.

"I'll be right here the whole time," Kamille promised, taking a seat on the edge of the counter again. "You need anything, just let me know."

"Thanks," Alicia said with a grateful smile.

Kamille returned the smile before covering her eyes jokingly, earning a laugh from Alicia. A moment passed and then Kamille heard the water running and uncovered her eyes, seeing Alicia was in the shower again.

"Hey, Kamille?"

Kamille perked up. "Yeah? Everything good?"

"Yeah, I just– I..." It was quiet a moment, the sound of the water hitting the floor filling the silence. Alicia spoke over it, but her voice was so soft it carried away with the steam in an instant. "I missed you."

Kamille breathed out slowly, heart fluttering in agreement. A smile crept on her lips as she looked down.

"I missed you too," she replied honestly.

Alicia didn't reply after that, but Kamille hoped she was smiling all the same.

"Was it a success?"

"I mean, I wouldn't exactly say no since nobody got hurt," Kamille answered June as she got out the truck. "We found some supplies. No infected."

"But no signs of people either," Morgan added, joining Kamille's side. "It's okay though. No infected means nobody has been killed there."

"Or died," Kamille agreed.

"Or present at all," June added with a grimace. "You sure we shouldn't think about moving out farther?"

Kamille looked to Morgan, who seemed tired from their supply run. He rubbed the back of his neck and shrugged.

"Not sure just yet," he admitted. "Maybe we can all talk about it over dinner tonight."

June suppressed a smile. "Go on, Morgan. I know you want to go inside and have a nap or something."

Morgan cracked a small smile and nodded appreciatively before leaving them both there. Kamille noticed June was pulling down some clothes from a washing line she'd strung up.

"You need any help?" Kamille offered, raising a brow.

"You look tired, too, it's okay," June politely declined. "Charlie said she'd give me a hand. Think you can grab her for me?"

"Geez, do I look that bad?" Kamille joked.

"No, no, sorry, that came out wrong," June said quickly, before laughing. "I meant that you guys left pretty early this morning. You should rest your feet for a bit."

Kamille rolled her eyes playfully. "Yeah, yeah..." June gave her a knowing look and Kamille added, "I'll get Charlie. Where is she?"

As she folded a shirt, June said, "Last I saw, she was with Alicia playing with a gun."

Kamille raised her eyebrows, sure she'd misheard. "What? Playing with a gun?"

June shook her head with realisation. "Water pistol– gun thingy," she amended. "My bad. Should've specified."

Kamille nodded slowly. "Uh-huh..."

"They're somewhere inside," June added, waving her hand.

"Okay, I'll send her your way," Kamille agreed, before heading inside and a little glad June declined her offer to help – she was tired.

After asking around, Kamille eventually found Alicia and Charlie in Alicia's room, sat cross-legged on the floor and talking between themselves as they played with plastic water guns.

"You know you're supposed to fill those, right?" Kamille teased from the doorway, earning both girls' attention.

"Hilarious," Alicia said sarcastically, expression matching her voice.

"Where did you get them anyway?" Kamille asked, stepping in and joining them on the floor.

"Al gifted them to me," Charlie explained as she handed Kamille the toy. "She said she found them the other day on a supply run. Not really sure why she thought of me, but yeah."

Kamille stifled a laugh as she studied the blue plastic water pistol in her hands. "Does she know the age range of these things? Last time I checked, you were eleven, not seven."

"She was excited to give them me, I couldn't exactly say no," Charlie said with a shrug. "We could totally play with them later."

"I think you mean we're definitely playing with them later," Alicia corrected her with a playful smile.

"I guess you're feeling better then," Kamille pointed out, a smile on her lips.

It had been almost two months since Alicia had been injured and it had taken that long for her to fully recover, both mentally and physically. Of course, she was still hurting at the fact that she still hadn't had the chance to help someone out there, but recovering had improved her mentality a lot because she could actually get up and do something now.

"Damn right," Alicia agreed, before raising her water gun in the air. "Not using these would be a crime."

Kamille rolled her eyes amusedly, choosing to ignore the unusually excited brunette, and instead looked to Charlie.

"June said you'd give her a hand with the laundry?" she asked. "She told me to come find you."

"Oh, yeah," Charlie said with realisation, before standing up. "I'll catch you guys later. Try not to break the guns."

Kamille couldn't help but smile. "We won't."

Charlie returned the smile and left, leaving Alicia and Kamille sat cross-legged on Alicia's bedroom floor, playing with empty water guns.

"You know there's no age limit on water pistols, right?" Alicia asked, quirking a brow.

"Clearly not," Kamille said jokingly, glancing at Alicia.

Alicia studied the pistol in her hands, a fleeting glimmer of hope in her eyes. "I just think it's nice that Charlie can be a kid for once. I used to love playing with these as a kid. Nick an' I would always bug mom with it."

Kamille hummed in agreement, a nostalgic smile on her lips as she thought of her own experiences with water guns. Of course there were her childhood memories which included Adam and her parents, but the most recent ones took first place. And she suddenly had that melancholic sickly feeling inside of her as she thought about it, turning her smile into a frown.

"What're you thinking?" Alicia asked gently, pulling Kamille from her thoughts.

Kamille looked up and saw Alicia smiling at her softly and encouragingly, her green eyes meeting her brown ones invitingly as they waited for a response.

Kamille suddenly grew flustered, clearing her throat and shaking her head as she gave the water gun in her hands her attention.

"It's nothing," she assured Alicia, before swallowing hard. She could feel Alicia's gaze on her, and inevitably, the words flew from her mouth as if they needed to be said. "I guess I was just thinking about Oliver and Mía... We found some old water guns once. Well, Oliver and I did. Ended up surprising Mía with them."

Kamille smiled a little as she remembered the memory clear as day.

"We had a little water fight in the woods," she continued to reminisce. "Got soaked to the bone, but God it was worth seeing the smile on her little face."

Once again, that sickly melancholic feeling returned and her smile faded into a thin line.

"Kamille, it's okay to be sad about them sometimes," Alicia reminded her, watching with sympathy.

Clearing her throat, Kamille smiled to distract from her bitterness. "God, I hate that, you know?"

"Hate what?"

Kamille lifted her eyes to meet Alicia's confused ones. "That look that people get when they talk about something that made them happy. When they recall a memory of a place or people that they don't have anymore."

"Kamil–"

"And they wear that stupid nostalgic smile on their face whilst their eyes look all distant and lost," Kamille continued suddenly. "They're not happy and they're not sad. They're just remembering. It's the worst. It's temporary."

Alicia's gaze glazed over with concern as she studied Kamille.

"Sorry," Kamille apologised, looking down. "I didn't mean to put that on you. We were having a nice chat and I just–"

"It's okay," Alicia cut her off. "You're right."

"I'm not," Kamille disagreed with a sigh. "If we didn't have memories, then we wouldn't have a purpose. It shouldn't matter if we get all distant when we talk about them. It just is."

"I get why you hate it," Alicia explained. "It is the worst. Remembering something that doesn't exist anymore. That's why we try our best to keep those memories alive. So we don't have to tell the story like it's gone."

"I guess."

Alicia's eyes were still on her. "You sure you're okay?"

Kamille nodded, plastering a smile on her face. "Yeah, don't worry. I think I'm gonna head to my room. Read a book or something. I'll be fine."

Alicia opened her mouth to speak, but Kamille stood up suddenly, dusting her jeans off. Alicia followed suit, still concerned, but clearly noticing Kamille's need for being alone.

"Okay, I guess I'll see you later," Alicia replied, as Kamille headed to the door. "I– yeah."

Kamille hated how awkward she had made things in such a short amount of time. Things were going great between them both, and now she'd gone and done this because her thoughts couldn't stay exactly as that, thoughts.

"Alicia, I– erm, you're feeling better, right?" Kamille called, stopping by the door and turning around.

Alicia nodded with confusion. "Yeah. What's up?"

Kamille cleared her throat. "Sarah and Wendell said they wanted some meat for dinner tomorrow. They're apparently cooking up something special and they asked if I could find something. Out in the woods nearby. I could, er, use the assistance, if you're up for it?"

Alicia's shoulders relaxed as a beautiful smile graced her lips. "Sure. I mean, yeah, I'm up for it."

Kamille couldn't help but return the smile. "Good. Okay. Yeah. I'll er..." She pointed over her shoulder awkwardly. "See you later."

"See you later," Alicia replied with a little nod and toothless smile.

Kamille left the room and didn't feel like she'd screwed things up yet again, even if temporarily.

Ever since she'd forgiven the Clark girl, their friendship was returning to normal, like how things used to be before they, well, before they became a couple. Kamille wasn't intending on 'being a couple' with Alicia again, but having her as a friend was pretty damn great.

//

slow but steady wins the race! remember that before y'all say you want them back together again okay 😂

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

336 22 8
"Swear to me. Swear to me right now. That you'll stay alive and come back home." The world has collapsed and in its wake, humanity prevails. Amidst t...
807 23 11
"stop the world I wanna get off with you" Angel never thought she would survive on her own. Somehow though, she's made it this far, after the events...
133K 7.6K 43
Helping people was Kamille Ali's goal in life, embedded within her from birth and all the way through to the end of the world. The rise of the dead...
15.9K 696 32
"Fear the Walking Dead" fanfiction with characters from "The 100" featuring Lexark. Alicia worries about her family. Elyza runs from her past. When t...