Lacking Humanity|Crescent Moon

By NerdyxWitch

[COMPLETED] BOOK ONE of the LACKING HUMANITY SERIES * * * In a cold and damped cell lies a young she-wolf who... More

-Author'sNote-
-Important Details-
-Prologue-
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
-New Moon-
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
-Waxing Crescent-
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
-First Quarter-
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
-Waxing Gibbous-
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
-Full Moon-
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
-Waning Gibbous-
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
-Third Quarter-
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
-Waning Crescent-
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Lacking Humanity: Book Two
-Deleted Scenes-
Deleted Scene #1

Chapter Eleven

4.9K 209 15
By NerdyxWitch

* * *

Over in the playroom, Sage looked around in awe at the monstrous amount of toys that littered everywhere. All filled with color that caught her interest, she took a few things in her hand and take a quick glance at them before putting it back down.

She noticed that the figures held small faces and smiled up at her, and she foolishly smiled back.

Casey was more than ecstatic to meet Sage and showered her with all the toys he has. Pointing out a few of his favorites and what they were, his old blanket that he doesn't sleep with anymore.

His favorite teddy bear, that he does sleep with.

"Bear."

"Papa says I can go hunting with them when I'm big and strong! Will you come, Sagey?" Sagey. It sounded so odd and delicate, but it sent small tingles into her heart as he looked up to her with a toothy grin, awaiting a response.

"Hunt bear." She repeated, though it was slow and quiet, but it was a good enough answer as he rushed off to the other side. And the lesson of colors and drawings had returned.

Something that Sage is familiar with after enjoying her time with Jade.

"Mama bought me paints for my birthday, but we have to ask if we can use them." The idea of paints didn't register, so she silently continued copying shapes and the flowers she learned in the last few days.

"Caleb, no! My Sagey!" The young pup shouted, and it had her eyes connect off towards the wolf lingering in the doorway, his presence causing her to still.

"Not stealing her away, Casey. No worries. Just checking in, what are you two drawing?" Caleb asked, continuing towards them but stopped instantly when he caught Sage's discomfort.

"Hey, it's alright. Here." His voice was undoubtedly soft, and she recognized what he was trying to do when he offered out his arm. After a quick sniff, she huffed. Defiantly a wolf.

With that, Caleb was then allowed to sit down alongside the two, though his eyes wandered down to whatever Sage was attempting to draw.

He couldn't imagine what a whole life inside a cage could be like, but she was so calm that it almost felt like they were waiting for an episode.

Or did her emotional breakdown already happen?

The episode could happen later on, and Caleb only thought this way because she was faced with escaping and traveling. Obviously, both she and his brothers are tired, meaning that it was put on a halt until everything starts to calm down.

And against his mother's wants, Sage would be sleeping in a boring guest bedroom before the new bedsheets could get here. Though he really doubted she cared about things like that.

Caleb's thoughts had cycled through, and his eyes trailed down to Sage's bareback, not in the same intent Cameron had before. But he caught interest in the thin scars that seemingly made up her shoulder blade.

And while it didn't look like it did any permanent damage, as she moved along just fine when it came to playing with Casey, he did note that she could feel his returning gaze.

Enough to retain eye contact with him before huffing. "Hurt." She mumbled, knowing that they were being looked at, granted she had never seen herself in the mirror to that extent. More so, she knew her body and the worst injuries she's faced over the years.

Her shoulder being one of the few.

"Does it still hurt?" A quick shake of her head had caused her long hair to fall in her face, and even though Caleb caught the odd number of hair ties around her wrist, she didn't bother pushing her hair away from her eyes.

Caleb still stared, wondering what type of wolf she really is. And it still pained him in thinking that she's never caught a glimpse of the moon before.

But then he smiled, knowing that he couldn't change the past, but he can certainly rectify what's lost.

"Hey Cas, how about we watch stars tonight?" The young pup squealed, excitement rushing through his veins as he started drawing stars. All in anticipation of an old family activity.

Sage wanted to join in too, but the five-pointed shape started to cause some confusion with the lines didn't meet up correctly. So Caleb laid on his stomach beside her and walked her through the steps in making a star.

Her smile was wholesome and appreciative when she realized what she accomplished with his help. Still, Caleb could only feel his wolf whining at the surface towards her, as everything about Sage screamed pure torture and agony.

Then the settled thought of what would happen if the Alpha didn't allow her to stay.

After listening to how well Sage got along with Luna Jade of Mystic Grimm, it wouldn't be a surprise if they allowed her entry. Truthfully, there hadn't been many escapes or rescues for wolves in the Elwood's situation, as fear of future capture and knowledge of the supernatural world being exposed to humans worried far too many of those in power that they—The council—Leave well enough alone.

But a pup?

A missing pup?

That should cause an uproar. That should've caused an uproar.

After an hour, Liam couldn't handle it anymore. And so he snuck away from his parents and Luke to take a peek in the playroom. And in seeing Casey curled up on Sage's lap as he pointed out shapes and colors was all he needed to feel relief, and an even better outcome was finding that Caleb didn't leave like his parents thought.

He, too, is holding Sage under his arm and pointing out what he wanted to hear her say, hoping to give a little lesson to tie along with the book.

She's fine. Go stay with mom. She's been a mess ever since Auntie called.

Liam did feel pretty guilty in wanting to spend time with Sage over his worrying parents. Still, he needed to get used to the idea that everything is okay and somewhat going back to normal. The house is filled, and all they need to do is properly address is if they would be having a new member join the family.

It wasn't unheard of for families to adopt pups, but the problem here is that Sage could pass as an adult. That is what is so worrying. But it was more or less up to the Alpha in what was going to be decided for their sister.

"Le?" Sage whispered, her eyes blinking up to him in question and he flashed a smile. "Hey hun, do you need anything? Dinners almost ready." The mention of food after the given hours of motor exercises definitely worked up her appetite, but she wouldn't verbally say it when dinner was so close to being finished.

"Water?"

"I can do that." Liam was about to leave, but Casey screamed for his brother's attention and asked if he could get an apple juice. "Yeah, brother. I don't need a coke or anything." Liam threw his hands into the air and walked out, cursing that he isn't a damn waiter. Just wanted to know if she needed anything since Sage was still learning how to voice our wants and needs.

Grabbing the glass that Sage used before, he went towards the fridge, but his return into the kitchen caught Luke's eye. "Sage alright?"

"Yeah. She's curled up with Caleb and Casey. Getting better with the markers and pencils too." Camilla had instantly stopped tossing her salad after hearing that the girl didn't know how to use something so simple as a pencil.

"What did she for all that time?" She asked, though with the grim face she received from Luke, she wasn't exactly sure if she wanted to know the answer anymore.

"She had everything down to the minute, mom. She'd get in bed, and seconds later, the lights shut off, or she'd get up with the lights in the morning..." Liam explained, and that had Luke close his eyes after thinking about Alex.

"I'm glad she killed him." He mumbled, more to himself than anyone else. But in a house filled with wolves, everyone in the room heard.

"Who'd she kill?"

"The guard. He—He was sick." The mother thought everything that happened to them was considered sick, but the mere mention of a perverted human had the salad bowl threaten to fall if Leo didn't manage to catch it in time.

"We'll bring her to the pack doctor tomorrow, all of you. Beta Eli will say whatever the Alpha has ordered, and we'll go from there. Now help your mother set the table. You missed a hell of a lotta dishes." Liam was the only one of the two to groan, and it echoed in the hall as he went to the playroom to deliver the drinks.

While Luke started to grab the given plates and silverware without a complaint, he remained mindful that Sage would be the seventh placemats, and eighth including the Beta.

So perhaps the three lasagnas weren't exactly overdoing it, nor were the salads and garlic bread.

"Alright, Sage likes apple juice. Add it to the list."

"List? What list?" Camilla peeked her head up from the laptop to look at her son, confusion already bearing on her expression.

"We're trying to figure out what she likes and doesn't. Chicken and potatoes are a yes. Lemonade and coke are a no." Leo chuckled as he knew well enough that his sons could handle Sage, it was her wolf that needed pack integration.

That is where he planned to step in. Otherwise, he would allow Camilla to help her in terms of being a female.

"Does she like anything else?"

"She doesn't like sweet things, but likes ice cream. She'll eat as much as you give her." It was a concept to realize, Sage would until she was overly stuffed. Granted, this was because her portions were always mandated and never enough to properly fill her.

Although the food needed another five minutes or so, the doorbell rang, and off Leo had gone to go and answer it. The relieved smile lingered as the Beta looked to his two previously missing pack members. "Good to see you two again. You raise some hell?" Liam smirked while Luke nodded. The male was usually silent, considering his position of taking his father's place.

"Left the building burning, sir. Get a nice car out of it too." Eli laughed while looking around the room in question. Waiting for the newcomer to pop out of nowhere. Which elected Luke to go and offer to get her.

Cameron had remained silent for the entire afternoon, listening and scolding himself and his wolf after his hormonal indifference after seeing a new she-wolf. He needed to gain control over himself, and this was what he needed. A time-out.

Luke found his siblings in the picture he imagined after hearing what Liam had said. A grin flashed. Sage had initially caught it, but the nick of his head motioned for her to come and follow. Leaving Casey and Caleb behind her.

"Sagey nooo! Let's finish the story!"

"No can do Case. Beta wants to talk to Sage." Caleb's eyes widened as he stood up to leave, too, causing the little pup to pout at losing his new friend.

"Big wolf stuff. Remember we have some stars to watch tonight." Luke didn't protest. He actually thought it was a great idea. Sage needed to start getting used to the idea of being outdoors. The girl already hated shoes—Wanting the souls of her feet to touch the grass without any blockage.

"Beta just wants to ask some questions, alright? No hurt." She exhaled quite loudly, and he growled out that his words were final. If she wouldn't respond to words, then perhaps her wolf would get the severity of it all. There was no talking back this time around, so maybe she did understand, and it was her attempt at agreeing?

Though it sounded as though she didn't like it at all.

"Beta Eli, this is Sage—Sage, this is Beta Eli." The male before her was a bit older than Luke but still in his prime years. His appearance came with the stress of the title. He took the position close to when Remus took the title of Alpha, making their reign end the everlasting dictatorship that they suffered through for almost two decades.

Their pack members did indeed favor these news laws in comparison to the old ways, and while it did take time to construct, the outcome was worth it.

"I hear you helped these two escape. Thank you." His words didn't correctly combatant to respond with a 'thank you,' so it causes her to tilt her head and sizing him up.

A growl leveled the room just like it had when she did the same with Alphard Harlow, though Luke and Liam couldn't do anything. It was Leo who needed to speak up against the Beta.

"Calm yourself, Rivers. She's a curious she-wolf." Any elder could call their younger generation a pup, and it aggravated them to no end. Eli was now aggravated on two accounts, a small she-wolf not backing down to his Beta voice, as well as Leo demanding to stand down.

"Sir, she isn't used to pack life yet. She's already had to fight against the pack lines." His attention caught elsewhere as he felt in awe of this female never traveling onto pack territory before. But after all he gathered from both a snippet bit from Leo and in combination to the report Harlow wrote,

it wasn't much to go off of.

"We believe she's been there since she was a pup. She's a strong wolf, sir. But she lacks basic human interaction and—"

"She's getting better." Liam defended his sister against Luke's words, narrowing his eyes as he interrupted his brother. Which earned him his own pair of squinted eyes, though he wouldn't back down.

While the two were having their staredown, Sage inched closer towards the new male. Sniffing the air around the Beta, and thus he offered an arm out, a small gesture that was polite enough for her to get a greeting out of.

He smelled strong. And that had earned him a surge of respect, but it still didn't cause her to stand down.

"Beta." She whispered a greeting, and he hummed in recognition of her knowing his title. Though his wolf's own interest in the young she-wolf began to rise. It was hard to ignore the small scars that lingered across her tiny figure, and they all proposed question after question.

But the answers were all trapped in a mind that didn't know how to respond.

"What do you know about her?" Luke took the initiative, as this would be explained to the Alpha soon after this meeting, and the Beta listened intently. "A-are you sure?" It was the same reaction as their father, that the impossibility of being immune to silver had now been proven.

"It's true, sir. Liam was in the cell beside her and checked to see if the bars were silver. They were.'

"Why would she be touching them?" Although it didn't look like it, Sage was actually listening, even if her eyes were in a different direction. "Pull up." She answered, and Eli turned his head, bewildered once again. "Believe it, sir, her wolf is a feisty lil thing." Liam scoffed at his brother.

"She's not little, sir. Alpha Harlow thought she could have higher-ranked blood in her." It wasn't as though it could be identified, especially if it's been dormant and never pushed to the surface. It would have to come out gradually on its own.

That was one of the worries that passed through Eli's mind, an unknown she-wolf who's immune to silver and has strong blood?

"Alpha is returning soon. He'll have the final say, but I don't see anything wrong other than her having to learn her place. But if she felt the denial when entering the pack-line, then she's not too far gone to be a rog—"

"Does she look like a rogue, sir?" El growled, pointing off in her direction for emphasis.

"Rogue?" She tested on her lips, recalling that she heard that name before. Thankfully, it was Camilla that took the seat beside Sage and quietly whispered an explanation while soothing her crazy strain behind her. "Can't really be a rogue if you were stuck in a facility," Liam added, and the Beta nodded to that comment. "You're right. So that means she needs to learn the ranks and proper respect to those above her." That she understood, and it issued another growl.

"She's never had to fight for a position, sir. We'll teach her." Eli didn't have any doubt in that, but truthfully, he didn't want to see a shift in ranks just because this new she-wolf has higher blood—All from Harlow's claims.

His wolf felt the threat and shook with anticipation of what it could possibly lead to.

"Good. Then we'll have nothing to worry about." The Beta spoke, just in time for Camilla to announce that dinner is ready. She soon left Sage at the table while the rest of the room bustled with excitement and orders, but then her attention drifted back to the Beta.

A small smile erupted onto her face, and he read the beginnings of trust. That caused him to grab onto one of the brothers that were imprinted with her.

"Has she ever met with wolves in the facility?"

"Probably, not like we could really do much other than sit in our cells. She'd shift, and it was clear her wolf wanted to play. Damn hard not being able to give in." It wasn't that Eli didn't feel empathy for her situation. But the idea of working with her and properly introducing her into the pack was going to be a strain. One he wasn't sure was actually worth it.

Eli didn't know whether his Alpha would allow it, but then again, the politics that would follow in pursuit of them shunning this innocent she-wolf would give them negative attention.

So he watched her across the table, seeing her wait patiently for the commotion to slow down while silently taking small sips of her water—But he caught the way she smiled up to Luke in a small greeting. It felt invasive to watch them silently communicating with each other, so he looked away and picked up a conversation with Leo.

Sage felt the warmth grow throughout her body as she watched everyone sit down at the long table, and her heart started to grow further. With Luke and Liam sitting on either side of her, it made her feel protected. While the Beta and Leo sat on either end.

"Been dreaming about mom's cooking—Think she'll make wings tomorrow?" Liam leaned in to speak to his brother, not minding that Sage listened in. Truthfully she should be kept in a socialized group with everything that happened.

She survived alone for so long that being near her new brothers made her smile so easily.

As everyone was set with a hefty serving, Camilla grinned down to Sage as she filled her plate for her. Though the garlic bread looked like a simple piece of bread, little did Sage know what type of surprise she'd be in for.

When those around her started eating, she took her fork and cut a small piece of the block. A mixture of cheese and pasta with a flavorful sauce erupted in her mouth, and goddess did she feel like she's been transported to heaven.

A small wiggle commenced, and Liam smirked off to the rest of the table, everyone waiting to see if she liked it. But Eli remained wary, studying her carefully from his position at the head of the table, and he grew to wonder a few more things about this potential new member of the pack.

How did she appear to be so calm? So Tamed?

Granted, it was little bits of aggression, but what pup didn't have it?

He would have a word with Leo and extended his own helping hand to build relations with her and other pack members. His Beta title meant there was already a line of trust-building on her side of the table, but the way they were all interacting with one another allowed her to gain a bit of knowledge as well.

As if Beta Eli was being sly in glancing her way every time he took a sip of his drink.

Sage remained quiet among the talking family, while Liam explained the game plan after getting an okay from the pack's healer. Otherwise, their freedom would be set out for the next few days, until both were commissioned to continue their pack chores.

"You think she'll handle taking care of pups?" Eli asked, wondering where Sage would find herself working to give her more of a stance in the pack. But Luke chuckled and denied that. "Tracker, maybe runner?" It sounded odd for anyone of his family members to hear that this small and scrawny wolf would be able to manage either one of those jobs.

But nothing would come without training, so that was the plan.

Leo wanted to be present for this family get-together and proposed that more than just Liam and Luke be with her in case any trouble arises.

Although it didn't have to be turned into an order, the Beta suggested, in terms of protecting the pack, that there was a possibility of Sage's short temper scaring pack members.

With Sage eating a hefty serving, they said their goodnights to Beta Eli, and off he went to deal with other pack issues. With the Alpha off-pack grounds, he was acting as stand-in Alpha until he returned.

After dinner was well over, the demand for dessert came in the form of cheers from Casey—Luke managed to scoop out a few servings of ice cream for his siblings while Sage chased Casey throughout the den.

The two got on well, too well. The squeals and giggles bounced off the walls as they zig-zagged around the couch, though the laughter soon turned into a loud shriek as Sage had managed to come in and swoop the pup into the air.

Camilla looked adoring to the scene before her. As she always yearned for a daughter just so her sons didn't have to battle in being their parent's favorite or pitted against one another as males usually end up doing.

"Help! Help! Sagey! Let me go!" Though Caleb needed to do a double-take to see if he actually needed help. But instead, he took off towards her, so that either of them fell back onto the couch with a thud.

"I gotcha!" He cheered, and Sage—Like the pup she seemed to be—Attempted to get out just like Casey tried to do just a few moments ago.

"What the hell is this, a litter of pups?! I guess I'll have to eat all the ice cream by myself." That captured the three's attention instantly, as well as earn a scoff from Caleb.

"Hey, that's not right." He huffed, pulling Sage back to her feet as he gave her a piggyback ride back over to the kitchen's island.

She soon found herself go from playing with a pup, to sitting on the island's stool with a bowl of vanilla and chocolate ice cream in front of her. And even with a small yawn, she managed to enjoy the sweet treat right beside Casey and the rest of the brothers.

Humming in delight as her heart and stomach never felt so full all at once.

"So, what's the plan for tomorrow?" Caleb questioned, hoping he wouldn't miss anything important from his own pack chores, but the two shrugged.

"After the healer's visit, not sure. We could go on a run, hunt a little? You up for that, Sage?" Her wolf turned to Luke after his question, beaming at the opportunity to actually get to use her talents.

"Hunt." Luke liked the sound of that and continued off with a few other ideas until Casey reminded them of their promise to stargaze. It had them grab a few blankets and lay them out into the backyard.

Sage had prime seating as she rested her head against Luke's stomach, while Liam took refugee on hers.

Caleb had come out a few minutes with another few blankets and laughed as he caught how soft his brothers were with her. But then join in nearby, resting against his hands while Casey took to curling into Sage's side.

The female was new and exciting in his eyes, but either Caleb and Cameron knew it was due to her pup attitude.

Though it was the first time Cameron had come as close to Sage since she arrived, and she stilled at the unfamiliar scent in fear of who he is.

"No hurt." He whispered, offering out his arm, something he knew he should've done before. And after a light sniff, she wiggled back into a comfortable position amongst the brothers.

Her arm soon extended to the million dots above them in the sky, and Luke sighed. "Those are stars hun, what's that?"

"Moon." She whispered, now confident in her answer, but still in awe of such a heavenly symbol dominating the darkened sky. "That's a Waxing Crescent. When it's a full circle, we call it a Full Moon. That's the strongest we'll ever be." Luke explained, running a hand through her hair as he continued to speak, and it earned him a purr reply through their bond.

"Soon, we'll have a First Quarter moon. We'll get to see a little more of the circle on this side." She blinked, trying to piece together what in the world it meant for it to be hidden.

But out of the blue, a shooting star had appeared, and in her efforts in understanding Liam's explanation had fallen short as she pointed up to it.

"That's a shooting star. Make a wish, Sagey." Her brows netted together.

A wish? It caused her to perk her lips, and Caleb sighed again, wondering if she even had a wish she wanted to come true. And just as he was going to help her make one, Sage smiled.

"Hunt bear." Casey instantly sprung up to his feet and cheered, but the rest of the brothers looked at one another and nodded. Causing Caleb to lean back inspire of not needing to explain it.

"That could be arranged. Have to train that kind of hunt, hun. Dad has to give the okay, but I can go for some bear meat." He claimed, patting the side of his stomach. Though Sage just smiled in record of the idea of getting to hunt something big and strong.

Her wolf needed to take down something that could cure the wracked-up anger she's been harvesting for years now.

The brothers found themselves falling into their normal routine. Though without Sage here, they probably wouldn't have stopped to take the hour out of the evening to just sit outside and relax.

But she would have them come together more often, especially if all went well with the adoption.

At the current moment, Sage had fallen asleep on Luke. While Casey was curled up beside her, slumbering just as deeply. The little pup was going to be difficult to move as he usually turned into a cranky bear when woken up.

Caleb took hold of Casey, already getting a little drool on his shoulder while Luke carefully Koala bear-hugged Sage. Her hair falling both over her face and back. "Mom's going to cut her hair soon if—"

"No cut." Sage shushed Liam instantly, and her dark pools immediately enacted as she glared over Luke's shoulder.

Hating the idea of a haircut now just as much as she did in captivity.

"She likes her hair. Leave it alone. Is her toy still in the car?" He asked, and Liam went off to retrieve it just in time to see his mom getting her ready for bed.

The girl now changed into shorts and a long t-shirt that smelled heavily of Luke that it gave her an extra bit of comfort as she sunk further into the bed—Enjoying the soft blanket and fuffed pillow.

Her trust in everyone in the room was higher than ever, more so in Luke than anyone else. But their mother had certainly paved the way for a caring female figure.

Having finally made it to Crescent Moon and safe within the Elwood residence, a delightful smile blossomed on her face as she closed her eyes for the final time that night.

______

Date: 11-16-2020

Time: 6:56

Words: 4110

______

EDITED:
DATE: 08/19/2021
WORDS: 4709

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

781K 2.1K 32
April Rymer needs a change in pace, a change in scenery. Having grown up her entire life as an outcast within her own pack, she's desperate for an ad...
3M 106K 46
"You were made for me. And I, for you." His breath is right beside my ear and I tightly shut my eyes closed. He leans down closer. "I was made to lo...
20.7M 677K 109
Once a forgotten Omega, now the next Luna of the Blood Moon pack-Nova must uncover the secrets of her heritage while unraveling the reason her new Al...
805K 34.3K 54
**In the process of being edited** Some wolves are born rogues but still maintain their human side while others are made into rogues, they lose all h...