Handcuffed Heiress

By MemoirsofaGeisha

Handcuffed series book 2 Following in their parents footsteps, Marc Jr. and Kaitlyn-Rose Paxton got caught up... More

0. Prologue
1. The brother, the best friend, and her...
2. The deal
3. Mysterious stranger
4. Setting the stage
5. You're a star
6. Battle of the sexes
7. Delayed rage
8. Unseen Attraction
9. Thoughts of a new beginning
10. The Paxtons
11. Changed
12. Meet the fiancée
13. Bad ass twin
14. Call me Jax
15. Return
16. The crazies
17. Paxton Heiress
18. So it begins
19. Like mother, like daughter
20. Phoenix craze
21. The feels
22. Don't shake her
23. Hunted and haunted
24. An apology and a promise
26. Accept help when it's given
27. Confusion, forced acceptance, an unlikely confidant
28. Le boyfriend
29. Uncertainties
30. Leaning towards acceptance
31. A turn of events
32. Lost for words
33. It gets more complicated
34. Conclusion
35. The Maddox's
36. Will there ever be peace?
37. Don't make me go crazy
38. He's gone...
Epilogue

25. Staking a claim

5.9K 222 41
By MemoirsofaGeisha

25. Staking a claim

Niko
I watched her closely with an amused expression on my face. She might not have realized that she was comfortable enough with me to discuss her family drama in front of me. I wasn't going to point it out.
"Family troubles?"
"You could say that." She walked around the office seeming to notice it for the first time. She'd remodelled to her liking. "Why did you replace there with glass?"
"Because I'd like to be able to see what my employees are up to out there."
"And they'll be able to see what goes on in here too. What happens when you need privacy?" She laughed. I haven't heard a real laugh from her since she came back.

"The glass can be frosted." Now why didn't I think of that? "What did you want to talk about?"
"Are you going to stay over there?"
"If I do?"
"Are you scared of being near me Kaitlyn?" Her name rolled off my tongue expertly. She'd come to know that I didn't need to touch her to have an effect. I'd use my words. They'd leave her panting. I wouldn't force myself on her though. I wanted her to come to me willingly.

"I think you like provoking me."
"Is that what I'm doing? That wasn't my intent. Let's deal with business first then. First on the agenda is Victoria."
"Do you want me to throw you out? Why is it that I can never get rid of that bitch?"
"Is that what you're trying to do?"
"I'm sick of hearing about Victoria this and Victoria that. Go be with that bitch and leave me alone." I smirked at her blatant jealousy.

"Give her back the house."
"Why the bloody hell should I do that?"
"Because I'd rather not have to deal with her in my apartment." Her eyes widened. "She's staying with you?"
"She's staying in my apartment."
"Good luck to the both of you then."

I laced my fingers together on my knee. "What's it going to take for you to give her back the house?"
"I can't believe I have to deal with this so early. Okay, how about this then? I'll return them to her if she leaves London. No, not just London. If she leaves England, I'll think about returning her home. If she leaves the UK I'll definitely return them." She smirked. "That would defeat the purpose don't you think?" She shrugged. "That goes to show you how bloody ridiculous this conversation is."
"I promised her I would get her house back."
"Why don't you just buy her another one? You can afford it." She rubbed the side of her head. "Forget it. I don't care. I don't want to hear anything more about the wench or her stupid house. If you utter another word about her I'm throwing you out." I remained silent and studied her. She was pacing. Something was obviously on her mind.

"Let's talk about the foundation dinner then."
"The what?"
"By the look on your face I take it you don't know. That might be a problem. The Birke foundation will be hosting a charity dinner for children with leukaemia. We have to plan and execute this event."
"We?"
"You as well as myself. We're in charge of putting this together."
"Excuse me? What does the Birke foundation have to do with me?"
"You're a member of the board. We both are."
"It's the first time I'm hearing of it. As far as I know, my mum is the one in charge of that."
"Not since your twenty-first birthday."

She rubbed the side of her head again. "Do you have a headache?"
"It seems one is fast approaching from all the bloody nonsense you've been saying. She sat down heavily in the opposite couch. "I'll put this simply. Your grandfather commanded that we run the foundation together from now on. Since you've never been involved I can only assume you know nothing about the foundation your grandfather has been involved with for over thirty years. We have a month to put this together. That means we'll be seeing a lot of each other."

"Listen, De Luca, I don't have time to head a foundation. I'm in the process of getting Accosi International London off its feet. I don't have time for anything extra." She did have a point. I already knew this. A plan started forming in my mind.
"All I ask is that you read upon the foundation. If there is anything you want to know, you can ask me. As for the event, I'll organize it."
"By yourself?"
"Yes."
"What's the catch?" Smart woman. "The catch is that you have to give me a day."
"A day of what?"
"Of your time." She laughed. "Listen, I don't even have time for myself. Do you think I have time to waste with you?"

"I thought we were making a deal right now? You're a business woman. I'm sure you can understand that. I will organize the event. Of course I will confirm everything with you. You'll need to have an hour of your day available for that purpose. I'd prefer evenings. We can talk over dinner. But you can decide when. I'll make myself available. In addition to giving me an hour out of your day up until the event, you'll accompany me as my date. It's only fitting both foundation heads go together. Lastly, this is more for selfish reasons, but I can't let the opportunity go to waste. I'm asking you for one full day of your time. You have the choice to refuse of course. I won't hold it against you. You can also decide when you want to give me that day whether before or after the event."

"What would this day entail?"
"I haven't decided yet." She sighed. "I'll think about it."
"Give me your answer over dinner."
"I already have plans for all of today."
"Call me with your answer then."
"I don't have your number."
"Don't you? I'd thought my background check would have provided you with all the basic information."
"Oh please. I haven't even opened the file yet. I'm too busy."

My eyebrow rose in an amused fashion. She covered her mouth realizing what she'd given away."What I meant was that," she stopped mid sentence. "You don't have to explain." I got to my feet. "I do think it's time I get back to my office. Your assistant must be getting blue in the face from waiting so long." She turned her head and looked at the woman who tried to look inconspicuous, before getting to her feet.

I moved closer to her. "I'm looking forward to working with you on the foundation." I leaned in and gave her a kiss on the cheek, lingering longer than necessary. When I pulled away I studied her expression closely. "You didn't slap me."
"Why would I? Kissing the cheek is the Italian way. Aren't you Italian? My uncle does it all the time. Since you're my grandfather's son, you're considered an uncle. I think I'll start calling you uncle Niko." Her laugh followed her as she disappeared behind the door to the side of her office. Uncle Niko? The hell she would!

Kaitlyn
My cheek felt hot. My body was reacting to him even if my heart didn't want to. My cheek had gotten pink because of his lips.

I stayed in the bathroom trying to talk myself down from the ridiculous thoughts going through my head. Once I was sure he was safely tucked away in his office on the first floor, I resurfaced. I had job interviews to do today and I hope I can get through a chunk of them before the day ends.

"What was Mr. Sexy doing up here?"
"How nice of you to show up at twenty minutes past nine, Taylor? One would think you were the boss of this establishment." He flushed. "I got stuck in traffic."
"Uhuh."
"So?"
"So what?"
"What was he doing here?"
"It's personal."
"Oh? Do tell. You wouldn't be engaging in certain activities with Mr. Sexy on the side would you?"
"Don't let your imagination run wild. We have work to do." I walked away dismissing him and his ridiculous claims.

"How the bloody hell did someone of these people make it to the interview phase?" I flung another file on the reject pile. My head was throbbing. I'd been conduction interviews all day and have yet to see anyone worth potential. I hate to admit it, but I needed help. Maybe I just didn't like any of them. I'd find fault with every small detail. Their resume wasn't neat enough, or I didn't like their attire. The colour of their hair would bother me. I didn't like their smile or the way they sat. Bollocks! This was supposed to be easy.

"Madeline!"
"Yes, Ms. Paxton?"
"Cancel the rest of the interviews. Tell then we'll call when we've rescheduled."
"Yes, ma'am." My head was pounding. Today was a total waste and on top of it all I was starving. I plopped down heavily in my chair and rested my head on the desk. "Tough day?" My head shot up at the sound of his voice. I really wasn't in the frame of mind to deal with him right now. I needed to be armed and ready whenever I'm around Niko De Luca. Right now I was just tired and feeling defeated.

"Go away. I don't have the time to entertain you right now." He closed the door and walked over to me. I rubbed the side of my head. "How often do you get headaches?"
"I get headaches whenever I'm stressed. Now go away. You're just adding to that stress."
"Have you eaten?" I wasn't going to answer that. "Your face says you haven't. You didn't have breakfast either. It's almost five. You went the entire day without eating. Is this how you normally take care of yourself?"
"It's none of your business."
"It is my business. I've told you. I'm interested in you. Therefore I care about your well being. You don't seem to take care of yourself well."
"That's because I always have someone taking care of me!" I was startled by my outburst. I usually have a better handle on my temper. "You mean the boyfriend. Well he isn't here right now and you obviously can't seem to think about yourself long enough to even get food. Get up."

I sighed. Talking to him was using up way too much energy than I have. "Listen, De Luca." I got to my feet slowly and placed my palms on the desk. "I am not your responsibility. You don't get a say in how I live just because you want to screw me."
"This is not about me wanting to fuck you. This is about you not taking care of yourself. Do you think you can run a multimillion dollar corporation in this condition? How are you going to take care of your employees if you can't even take care of yourself? Now I'm giving you two options. You can either walk out here with me on your own, or I can carry you out. You can choose."

"Why are you doing this to me?" I closed my eyes and opened them again. "Someone needs to do it."
"I am not your responsibility!"
"I'm making you my responsibility. Get your things. I'm taking you to get food. You can glare at me all you want over dinner, just as long as you eat something." I didn't have the strength in me to argue with him anymore. My body was too weak. So against my better judgement I caved.

"Fine. If it will make you stop nagging me I'll go with you to eat."
"Thank you." I took up my purse and phone and moved from around the desk. After exchanging a few words with Madeline and Taylor I exited the building with him. When he opened the door for his car I got in without looking at it or acknowledging him. Once I was nestled against his plush leather seat I closed my eyes. He reached over and buckled my seat belt. I was too weak to even do that.

"I assume your security will follow?"
"Mhmm."
"What would you like to eat?" I managed to open my eyes briefly. "It doesn't matter. You decide."
"Do you always do that?"
"What?"
"Let people decide for you?"
"It has always been that way. I had a nutritionist as a child. In boarding school, my best friend took care of what we ate. And in university my boyfriend did it."
"And now?"
"Now, my boyfriend still does it."
"But he's not here and now and I guess the reason you're eating poorly or not eating at all is because he isn't here to make the decision for you."
"What does it matter? I'm too weak to talk about this." I closed my eyes again. He sighed and drove off.

I found comfort in the silence that fell between us. Somehow inside the car seemed to block out the noisy London streets. Surprisingly we didn't go far. In about ten minutes the car stopped and he was opening my door. It took more energy than I had to exit the car. I swayed on my feet a little, feeling dizzy.

"Are you all right?" I nodded but swayed towards him. My palm rested on his shoulder for balance. "Kaitlyn?" He called my name questioningly but sounded far away. Black spots danced before my eyes. I shook my head trying to get rid of them and felt myself falling forward. "I don't think I'm all right," I found myself saying before pitching forward into his arms.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

52.1K 3K 175
****Story contains mature themes and adult content**** Book #1: Binding Agreement I could feel my breathing begin to get slightly heavier. "Mainly be...
226 15 3
As the only child of a career politician, Taehyung had grown up under a microscope. Now, his father was the President, and he was starting college, a...
5.3K 137 38
Catalina Anne is the one and only heiress of her father's company. She really didn't want to handle business, she always wanted to become a psycholog...
Fractured By Ren

Mystery / Thriller

2.2M 50.7K 74
(Book 2) Now that Luke knows the truth about his wife, there is one thing left to do to in order for Clare to get busted: find evidence. And that co...