Project Publicity || l.h

De mukequality

[BOOK ONE] Jade and Luke have known each other since childhood. But as they grew older, Jade became glamorous... Mai multe

Prologue//
Chapter 1// Nerd Meets Diva
Chapter 2// Sealed
Chapter 3// Makeover
Chapter 4// Act One
Chapter 5// Secrets
Chapter 6// Party
Chapter 7// Prey
Author's Note
Chapter 8// Revelation
Chapter 9// Beginning
Chapter 10// Confession
Chapter 11// Trust
Chapter 13// Two-Faced
Chapter 14// Betrayal
Chapter 15// Old Flame
Chapter 16// Precedent
Chapter 17// Dreams
Chapter 18// Trouble
Chapter 19// Affection
Chapter 20// Replaced
Chapter 21// Lust
Chapter 22// Affliction
Chapter 23// Unveiled
Author's Note (SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION)
Chapter 24// Forgotten
Chapter 25// Exigent
Chapter 26// Conflicted
Chapter 27// Mistaken
Chapter 28// Habitual
Chapter 29// Chaos
Chapter 30// Animated
Chapter 31// Anemic
Chapter 32// Truthful
Chapter 33// Irresistable
Chapter 34// Uneasy
Chapter 35// Abandoned
Chapter 36// Vacillation
Chapter 37// Finale
Epilogue

Chapter 12// Unexpected

6.2K 233 93
De mukequality

Luke is late for Family Studies.

He appears by the door with some blonde chick I don't know, who leaves after they finish their conversation. That's when he finally sees me staring and flashes a sheepish smile, like my brother does when he knows he did something wrong.

"Hey," he says, carefully sitting down next to me.

"Hey," I reply casually. He seems surprised that I'm not shooting daggers yet.

"So, um. I'm sorry I didn't call. My phone died."

"For the entire day? Seems legit," I drone.

"I was actually calling to let you know: tell Ashton what I told you, and you are dead. I am dead. The plan is over."

"Don't worry, I'm not stupid," Luke says just as Mr. Lowry breezes by, putting an essay on his desk. A big red A is scribbled over the front with Luke's name on the top.

He isn't stupid, that's the thing. Luke is smart. (Maybe more than I think he is.)

"You don't trust me?" He cocks his head, clearly amused.

"No."

"Then I guess we're getting an F on our project for 'lack of trust between the couple'."

Behind us, Mr. Lowry declares that he is visiting the men's room. More time to talk. Fortunately.

I shoot Luke a longgg look.

He sighs.

"I promise, secrets stay between the two of us. And the two of us only."

I'm about to point out that Hailey is in on the plan, so it's three instead of two. But his phone begins to ring. He takes it out of his pocket with stumbling fingers, almost dropping it twice.

Fucking. Ariana. Grande.

Her single, 'Problem' is his ring tone. I can see Luke trying to hide his flushed face with shame.

I'm scared to go to his gigs now. If he likes that girl stuff, what type of music would he play as a band? I stare in horror as he glances at the screen, and frowns slightly.

"Who is it?" I ask, the phone still vibrating in his hand.

"A girl that was flirting with me at the party."

I almost choke on air. "Wait," I cough. "You got a number on the FIRST PARTY you ever went to?"

"Three," he says sheepishly.

"Damn!" I say.
Luke blushes.

"Well, pick up! Put her on speaker."

"But I have a girlfriend."

"She obviously knows that," I roll my eyes. Like I'd expected, Hailey had taken the cue and written an article about the new, hot couple of Cedarwood. She'd used phrases such as 'Opposites attract' and 'Shocking' 98% of the entire school had read it by lunch.

And she's already posted two exclusives on Luke's band.

Beside me, Luke gives up and finally takes the call. "Uh, hello?" he answers.

"Hey! Luke!" Right away, I identify the girl as a wannabee who puts on a high-pitched voice, just to talk to a boy on the phone.

"Look, I'm having a campfire at my house on Friday. It's not a party, but more like a...hanging out kind of thing. Would you like to come? That is, if you're not busy with school work." She giggles.

It sounds like a challenge. "Say yes," I grit through my teeth.

"Um...I'll check my schedule and get back to you on that."

Facepalm.

There's a short silence on the other end. "Sounds cool, I hope you come, then. But-uh-make sure you bring Jade!" She yells, hanging up.

Luke seems genuinely confused. "What girl would flirt with a guy that's dating the most popular girl in school? Do they want their asses kicked?"

"No, it's more like a 'suck on this, Jade' kind of attitude. The 'You may be cooler than me, but I'll still flirt with your boyfriend while you're three feet away' kind."

His jaw drops open. "The girls at this school are scaring me more and more every day," he whispers, making me laugh.

"Have you ever even liked a girl before?" I ask.

"A long time ago. In grade three. But she and I were too different. It didn't work out."

"Well, that was grade three. And now's Sophomore year. Are you gonna go?"

He doesn't even give the suggestion a thought. "Probably not. I was planning on going to the library on Friday."

"For the whole day?" I nearly shriek.

"Well....exams are soon. I need to start studying."

"Exams are a month away!!"

"Exactly my point," he says like a British prof, reaching into his pocket for his glasses by habit and finding it empty. It seems that he's still not too used to the makeover. I mean, my plan was to give him style and some flair. I wasn't planning on changing his entire identity or looks...but so far, it seems he's only changed physically, not mentally. The glasses are no big deal. He's the same Luke I've seen in the hallways since kindergarten.

I hope.

"Just hang out with her on Friday. If you like her..." I trail off. "If you really like her, you can tell her that we're not real. You can still be with her while pretending to be with me."

"We'll see." Luke puts his finger in his mouth and starts biting away at an already-ragged nail. A sign that he's nervous.

I pull his hand forcefully away from his face, and he looks up at me with big blue eyes that dance with uneasiness, but doesn't say anything else.

"Look, if you're that anxious, I'll help you prepare."

Luke lets out a huge sigh of relief, like that's what he wanted to hear all along. "Thank you, Jade," He practically moans. "I don't know how I'd be 'cool' without you."

That makes my heart clench a little, an uncomfortable feeling. I bite my lip slightly.

"You know, Luke. Part of being cool is NOT trying. But you're over thinking everything, and trust me when I say girls won't fall in love with your fake identity. So, just... show her the sweet, nerdy side of Luke, all right?"

"I'll always be nerd Luke." He smiles from ear to ear. Then he surprises me by giving me a quick, childish hug. "Thanks for helping me more than I'm helping you."

I struggle out of his arms, giving him a death stare.

...

By Tuesday, there are changes around the school. Luke is invited to our lunch table with Kiera and Brooke, and surprisingly...Hailey, as well. I've explained that I'm not actually dating Luke to my best friends, but haven't told them the reason. The same with Hailey. They know we've suddenly been hanging out, but has no idea why. But she's okay I guess, IF i get past the fact that she slept with my boyfriend, I guess her and I aren't too different after all. I might be able to trust her one day, but just not right now. There's too many things at risk, and I've only given her one job... to use her stupid gossip blog.

Kiera had actually sighed out loud when I told her Luke and I are fake. "Thank goodness, because eye candy like that kid looks better single." I gave her a weird glance and she slapped a hand over her mouth. It was official. My best friend thought Luke Hemmings was attractive.
All he really needed was the right attitude and some gel in his hair and boom, Mr. Hidden hotttie behind square rimmed glasses. It's like we're living a (clique) chick flick. (Geek Charming. Ugh.)

And one more thing: I've noticed that every day starting the week I made the deal with Luke, and as the date my father's supposed to visit nears, Mom gets a little antsier. She has to take a calming pill just to fall asleep.

I was a little concerned to leave her alone tonight to go to Luke's gig, but she kissed me on the forehead and told me not to worry. She seemed surprisingly calm. Which relieved me.

At 6, Luke picks me up in his car again, which he keeps insisting we drive when I could just take out my car (instead of his old beat-up one).

"Are you nervous?" He asks, eyes on the road.

"The only thing that makes me nervous is Sasha," I say, turning around to sneak a peek at the she-devil. It sits in the back seat, like an actual person: arms by it's side and staring straight ahead. Gives me the fucking creeps. But Luke says it's a good luck charm for his first gig in front of 'popular people', and insisted on bringing it along.

"Why, are you nervous?" I ask him.

"Yes," he admits.

"Well, how many people are coming?"

"After we got together, probably about 30 more people bought tickets." Not bad for a small, club gig. Luke explains that you can either buy the tickets online or by the entrance, which is what last-minute audiences usually buy.

Since he can't bite his nails with his hands on the wheel, he starts to babble nervously about introducing me to his band. Honestly, I'm glad. I want to meet these people that 1. Apparently taught Luke to throw a punch 2. Apparently helped Luke through his parents' divorce 3. Were his friends since childhood.

Luke was talking about something else, too, but I don't remember what it was. His words are cut off mid-sentence as he pulls the car over.

"Oh god."

When he sees what awaits us in front of the club, Luke sticks his fingers in his mouth and tears at his nails like there is no tomorrow.

---

EARLY UPDATE!!! Yay :)) I'm sorry this was kind of a filler, but there's drama coming like REALLY REALLY soon!

Question of the chapter: How would you describe Jade's personality (as you can see so far)?

Hope you're enjoying the book and thank you guys for voting/commenting/reading!

xoxx

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

530K 8.6K 100
So I have a 5sos account on Instagram, @2.much.5sos , & I do some 5SOS imagines on there so yeah, just thought I'd put them all together in Wattpad f...
72.9K 2.4K 38
'No questions. I won't ask you about your past, you won't ask about mine. The only past we talk about is ours. And no asking about my problems. Every...
42.7K 395 84
This is a preferences book of 5SOS (most from Tumblr) and please request something !!!!! Love you X If you want to talk or ask something feel fr...
12.1K 302 21
He Maybe My Bully But I Love Him... ~-~-~~ Where Ashton and Luke falls in love with their bullies... (COMPLETE) Cover By: --ilovefourbands--