Just a Background Character

By RandomPerson286

Evelyn Adely Anderson just fits in. She is your normal meek, quiet 15 year old. Evelyn has always been the sh... More

Chapter 1: Cold Morning
Chapter 2: Am I Really a Background Character?
Chapter 3: The Project
Chapter 4: Tacos and Photos
Chapter 5: Memories
Chapter 6: Guilty Lies
Chapter 8: Treacherous Past
Chapter 9: Old Past, Brand New Future
Chapter 10: Trains
Chapter 12: Blueberries
Chapter 13: The Past Isn't Always so Great
Chapter 14: I Feel as if I Know You
Chapter 15: A Ringing Doorbell
Chapter 16: Hotel Rooms
Chapter 17: New Family
Epilogue
Author Note

Chapter 7: Differences

21 2 1
By RandomPerson286

I felt hands grab my body, and gently shake me. My senses were slowly coming back. I could hear leaves rustling and voices talking.

"Is she awake?" A small, young voice asked.

"No, not yet." Another voice answered, closer to me.

I guessed the second voice was the person who shook me. They both sounded female. The first one sounded younger than my little brothers-no- cousins, and the other sounded around my age.

"What happened?" The young voice questioned.

"She must have passed out. From exhaustion or anything." The other one responded.

Passed out? I attempted to force my eyes open. I blinked quickly. My vision slowly came back to me. An older girl was crouched next to me. She was about my height, but a lot skinner. She was wearing a heavy, old coat, and ripped, old jeans. Her hair was most likely blonde, but it was so dirty; I couldn't tell. Her eyes were a dark brown. They were dull, but clear. A young girl stood behind her. She was short, and just as skinny. Her hair was the same color as the older girl's, but longer. They had the same eyes too. They must be siblings, or at least related.

"Hey. Are you awake?" The older girl asked.

I managed to do a small nod.

"Hi! I'm Atlas!" The small girl jumped in front of me.

"Atlas-" The older girl began.

"What are you doing out here? Do you know this is the Kilen Woods? If he sees you out here, he'll call you a trespasser, and threaten to call the police! He once caught me picking berries, and eating them! He yelled at me, and hit me! It's so unfair! I didn't mean to! I was just really hunger, and-" Atlas rambled.

"Atlas! Stop scaring her with that rambling!" The other girl snapped.

Atlas only smiled mischievously, but stayed quiet.

"Can you get up?" The older girl asked.

"I-I think so." I mumbled, slightly embarrassed.

The older girl nodded, and grabbed my arm. She pulled me to my feet. I wobbled for a moment, but quickly gained my balance.

"What's your name?" The older girl asked.

I paused. What do I say? Evelyn? Kayla?

"Evelyn." I said out of instinct.

"Evelyn?" The older girl checked.

I nodded.

"Well Evelyn, I'm Hannah and this Atlas." The older girl explained.

I nodded in response, not knowing how else to respond.

Hannah took Atlas's hand, and began walking down the trail. Away from the way I came. Where were they going? Were they just leaving me here? Hannah turned her head around to stare at me.

"Aren't you coming? Or are you going to stay here? If you stay here, the Kilen guards will surely catch you." Hannah looked only slightly confused.

I was surprised. Go with them? To their house? I hobbled after them. When I caught up, they continued to walk down the path.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"Home." Atlas beamed.

When we finally left the woods, I was exhausted. I saw the sky was getting dark. How long was I passed out? How long was our walk? Hannah walked to a small village just out of the woods. The houses were small, they weren't even really houses. More like shacks. They were dirty and falling apart. Hannah walked to one of the larger ones. She pushed open the door. I quickly took the shack in. The floor was dirt, and the walls were falling apart. A small counter was against the wall to our right. There was a small cooler on the right side of the counter, and a small old stove on the left side. Small cabinets were half on the wall. An old couch was on the left side of the room. A small, old box TV sat in front of it on an old wood table. In the middle of the room was an old dining table with 5 chairs or boxes spread around it. Along the center wall were two doors. Both were opened. I could see one big bed in the left one, and two full size beds in the right one. A small boy darted towards the opened door. He was toddling fast. He looked only about three years old. He had the same hair, and eyes as Hannah and Atlas. Hannah lunged forward, and grabbed the small boy.

"Henry!" Hannah scolded.

Henry only began laughing.

Hannah sighed and walked in. Atlas and I followed her. A elderly women walked out of the left bedroom. She hobbled with a old cane.

"Hello Granny!" Hannah called happily.

"Hi Granny!" Atlas smiled at the elderly lady.

"W-Welcome back my granddaughters." The elderly woman croaked.

"This is Evelyn. Is it okay if she stays with us for a little while?" Hannah asked.

"O-Of course. H-Hello Evelyn! Y-You can call me Granny." The elderly woman smiled, revealing rows of crooked teeth.

"Okay, Granny." I smiled back.

Granny wobbled over the old cabinets. She opened one cabinet, and grabbed five apples.

"D-Dinner." Granny said happily.

That's dinner? Just one apple? I nearly gapped. Atlas scampered over to Granny, and took four of the apples.

"Thank you Granny!" Both Atlas and Hannah said in a chorus.

"T-Thank you." I stuttered after them.

"Y-You're welcome. N-Now go to bed and get rest." Granny stuttered.

Hannah walked into the right room. She sat Henry on the right bed. Atlas handed Henry an apple. He grabbed it, and ate it happily.

"Do you have any pajamas in that bag?" Hannah asked, glancing at me.

"Yeah." I nodded.

Hannah walked over to a small dresser, and opened a drawer. She took out a small cleanish zip up sleeper and a diaper. Hannah waltzed over to the left bed. She undressed Henry, and changed his diaper.

"I cold." Henry shivered.

"I know Henry. Just finish your apple." Hannah quickly put Henry's sleeper on him.

"Atlas, go check on Granny. And eat your apple." Hannah ordered.

Atlas nodded and left, her apple in her hand . Hannah turned to me.

"How old are you?" She asked.

"15." I responded.

"Me too. You're old enough to help out, you know. We can't afford for you not to do anything." Hannah said matter factly.

"I know." I agreed.

"Good. Put Henry to bed for me. I want to go spend time with Granny and Atlas." Hannah ordered.

I simply nodded, and Hannah left. She was bossy! I walked over, and sat next to Henry.

"Hey Henry. You tired?" I asked softly.

"No! I hungry!" Henry cried.

I grabbed my apple, and gave it to him. Somehow I knew he needed it more. He gobbled it quickly. I picked him up, and cradled him to my chest like a baby. I sat on one of the pillows, and leaned my back against the wall. Henry snuggled up close to me. He quickly started to snore softly. I leaned my head on the wall and eventually fell fast asleep.

I woke up suddenly. I didn't know why, but I just did. I was covered up with a blanket; Henry snuggled up beside me. Atlas was sleeping in the other bed with Hannah. Hannah sat up.

"You can't sleep either?" I heard Hannah whisper.

I could see the outline of her face staring at me. I didn't respond. Hannah climbed out of her bed, and walked over to me.

"I know you're awake." Hannah whispered.

"I know." I whispered.

"Get up." Hannah ordered.

I obeyed. I followed Hannah back into the main room. Hannah sat down on the couch; I sat down next to her.

"Let me tell you somethings." Hannah began.

I stayed silent to let Hannah speak.

"I have to go to work soon, so you need to take care of Atlas and Henry. I normally take Atlas with me, but since you're here, you take care of her. Granny can take care of Henry for a few hours. You can take Atlas to pick some fruit or something." Hannah explained.

"Okay." I agreed.

Hannah smiled, and stood up. She walked up to a cabinet and took out a small loaf bread.

"When was the last you ate?" Hannah asked.

"Yesterday morning." My stomach growled.

"What did you do with the apple?" Hannah questioned.

"I gave it to Henry." I responded.

"That was nice." Hannah answered.

She cut two slices of bread. Hannah picked them both up, and walked back over to the couch. She handed me a slice. I ate it slowly. It tasted so good.

"What's your last name, Evelyn?" Hannah asked with a mouthful of bread.

"Anderson." I replied.

"You're from the Andersons? The rich ones?" Hannah said calmly.

"Yes." I nodded.

Hannah seemed lost in thought. I heard small feet run out into the open. Henry ran over to me, Atlas in tow.

"He woke me up!" Atlas complained loudly.

"New fwriend." Henry smiled and hugged my legs.

"Henry, that's Evelyn." Hannah introduced.

Henry scrambled onto the couch between me and Hannah.

"I hungry!" Henry declared.

Hannah got up and went to cut another slice of bread.

"Get me one too!" Atlas called, plopping down on the couch.

Hannah came back with two slices. She gave one to Atlas, and one to Henry. Henry gobbled his up, and stuck his tongue out at me. I giggled and tossed him up into the air. Henry laughed. Hannah grabbed Henry from me, and cradle him to her chest.

"My baby." Hannah said defensively, while Henry fought to get up.

I grabbed Atlas and pulled her to me.

"My baby." I hissed playfully.

"Hey! I'm not a baby!" Atlas complained.

I tickled her, and she burst out laughing. I joined in laughing, as well as Hannah and Henry. We laughed and laughed. For the first time I felt like I truly belonged.

-Note-

Thank you for reading this chapter. Sorry if it's posted a little late. But, what did you think of it? What do you think of Hannah, Atlas, Henry, and Granny? What do you think is going to happen next? And as always, have a amazing day/morning/evening/night.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43K 1.3K 53
Evelyn Grey Is what people call nightmare. She can destroy your life before you can blink your eyes. Hell break lose if she's angry... All you can se...
30.8K 988 17
[DISCONTINUED] Beyond expectation between life and death, I know nothing about the truth, for my past remains unknown, a secret I cannot unveil, my m...
58 9 11
This is a life of a 15 year old girl. She is a tomboy and a person that almost every people in the school scared of her. She has a disease that even...