Moonlit Shadows

By Avid_Rdr

20 years have passed since we last visited Blood Mountain. Life has continued on, but for some of Blood Mount... More

Dead Ends
Home Is Where Your Heart Is
Just Like Old Times
On Your Own Terms
Arrivals
Destiny
Getting to Know You
Old Aquaintances And New
Whom Can One Trust?
Moonlight
The Transgressions of a Few
Unforgotten Memories
Treating the Wounds
When You Can't Stand To Be Apart
Distractions
Missing Luna
A New Plan
Connections
Getting To Know You
Come Back
Sounds of Grief
The Voice In Your Head
Today We Fight
Doubts and Decisions
The Full Moon
Pain and Hope
Friends Don't Let Friends Travel Alone
To London, To London
To Meet The King
So Close, Yet So Far
Things To Be Done
Sometimes It Takes A Vampire
Betrayal
Every Problem Has A Solution
Suspicion
Unleashed
Live To Fight And Fight To Live
Know Your Enemy
How Does One Win in a Bloodbath?
And It Ends in a Reckoning
The Slowest Way To Die Is To Wait For A Loved One To Live
Appreciation for the Mundane
Narrow Misses
Wounds Can Be Healed By Truth
Finally Home
Wedding Jitters
Two Become One
Overwhelm
The Best Is Yet To Come
Epilogue

Confusion

584 56 35
By Avid_Rdr

Derrick was praying that Fixer was sleeping, if the maniac slept at all, when he crept over to the room he was desperately hoping was Jaci's.

As he slowly opened the door, he breathed out a light sigh of relief and stepped into the room. Jaci was just as chaotic in her housekeeping as she was in her personality. Notebooks and clothes were strewn over her bed, some of her toiletry items were scattered on the dresser in front of the mirror.

He couldn't help but smile. Jaci had grown on him during the years she had been in his department. He now understood better the relationship Professor North had had with Sunny. Jaci felt like a daughter to him.

And the last thing he wanted was to see her get caught in the crossfire of this moronic expedition. If she got hurt, but those creatures or Fixer, he knew he would absolutely see red and lose it.

He sat down on her bed and picked up the nearest notebook. Despite the advances of technology, Jaci was really old-school. She still insisted on pen and paper.

He leaned through the pages and saw different notes on various myths and rumors. He dropped it back to the bed since it held nothing of note to him. He picked up the next one and inside was something far more interesting.

Korean Travel Log - Entry 2

Today I met the most amazing people, I should say beings, ever. I trekked up Blood Mountain and apparently a vampire hit me on the head and knocked me out.

Derrick's hackles bristled but he swallowed his ire and continued reading.

I should be upset about that, but because of it I was able to meet THE KIMS. Taehyung and Sunny Kim! I really can't even believe it myself. I will probably be pinching myself for a few days.

To be honest, they weren't the terrifying creatures I was expecting. Yes, my research has shown me that much of our preconceived notions are ill conceived, but they were kind, and rightfully wary of me at first. Sunny really stood up for me. I have a lot of respect for her. She is amazing. Not only that, I also met a werewolf! He stayed in his wolf form for most of the encounter but I didn't mind. I really wish I could have gotten my hands into that silky hair though. Maybe some other time. I guess I need to get to bed. I get to interview Taehyung tomorrow. He's so old! I have so many questions for him.

The entry ended and Derrick sat staring at it sadly. The handwriting was a little sloppier than Jaci normally wrote, probably because of her excitement. He sighed and closed the book. He shoved it between the mattress and the springs, hoping Fixer hadn't already seen it. He wanted anything that indicated where Jaci was to be kept from that psycho.

Derrick stood to his feet and returned to his room, being as quiet as he could. Tomorrow they would begin watching the mountain and slowly make their way up day by day to get a feel for its residents.

He did not relish in this excursion at all, despite what his instincts were telling him. He mentally loathed having been born a Hunter. The Hunter instincts for sensing the supernatural, and an almost overwhelming desire to kill whatever he found, was something that he would always fight with for the rest of his extended life.

But the fight was exhausting and his will to keep at it was dwindling.

***

Jaci felt her neck burn as she turned her head towards the warmth against her arm. It was still dark, and she was unable to focus her eyes well, but she could tell it was something heavy resting against her arm.

She blinked and rubbed her eyes with her free hand, being careful not to move her arm. With eyes now focused better, she looked back over to see a head of dark hair laying against her.

She couldn't see their face, however, but she could tell they were fast asleep. The soft snores came at a regular rhythm, and there was a warm breath breezing past her skin with every exhale.

A soft woodsy scent filled the air - a mix of pine trees and spring rain. It must be the smell of their cologne, she concluded.

The urge to run her fingers through that dark hair bubbled in her chest again, growing to a point she could no longer resist. Stretching her other arm across her chest, she sank her fingers into the darkened strands and let them freely glide through it, keeping her movements slow and rhythmic so as not to awake the person.

A sense of calm washed over her and the burning on her neck ceased to cause her pain. She almost felt euphoric and it was difficult to remove her hand from the raven locks.

The gentle snores stopped and the head moved slightly, yet Jaci could not bear to pull her hand away. The head nestled closer to her arm and a soft, manly moan came from it.

Jaci continued, enjoying the pleasant feeling she had and relishing in the thought that the other person might be enjoying the same. A part of her screamed that this was not something she should be doing to a stranger, but a louder voice inside her said that this was in fact, exactly what she needed to do.

Though thoroughly confused, Jaci shut off the internal voice of reason and continued her movements. The head just nuzzled closer and the deeper breaths seemed to indicate the person was relaxing even more.

"That feels so good," came a raspy whisper.

Jaci hummed a response and continued until the head jerked up and a pair of bright golden eyes stared at her in the dark.

"You're awake. How do you feel? Do you hurt anywhere?"

Jaci realized it was Jungkook and her face warmed under his gaze. His worried expression both confused and delighted her.

As he had pulled away, the calmness ebbed away and the burning slowly returned with a vengeance. Her hand flew up to her neck and she grimaced as the burning went across her skin in waves.

"It hurts," she whimpered.

Jungkook stood to his feet and made his way to the kitchen, preparing the tea kettle. "I'll make some tea for you that's supposed to help heal the wound and numb the pain."

Jaci closed her eyes against the pain and slowly sat up. Her head began spinning and she lowered her head, willing her brain to stop bouncing around her skull.

"Lay back down. You can sit up when it's ready," said Jungkook, his soft voice reaching her ears like a balm.

The door to the bedroom opened and Sunny staggered out, hitting her knee on Taehyung's rocker.

"I told him we need nightlights," she grumbled,

Jungkook chuckled and flipped on the kitchen light, grinning as Sunny hissed and squinted her eyes.

She turned her bleary gaze over to the bed and saw Jaci looking back at her with wide eyes. "Oh! You're awake! I wondered why I heard clanking in here."

"Sorry, Noona. She woke up in pain and I was just making some of Luna's tea for her."

Sunny grunted her acknowledgment and then went to sit beside Jaci on the bed. She looked at Jaci's neck carefully and frowned. "Hm."

Jaci looked at Sunny. "Hm? Does it look as bad as it feels?"

"Probably worse," said a deep, gravelly voice. Taehyung sauntered out of the bedroom, his hands shoved into his pajama pockets.

"Hyung," scolded Jungkook.

"What? It's the truth. She hasn't even seen it yet," grumbled Taehyung, unhappy that he was awakened from his slumber without his wife next to him.

"See what? It's just a bite, right?" Jaci felt fear creeping into her voice.

Sunny looked at her with a softened expression. "Honey, that bite is looking like thorns creeping across your skin."

"What?!" yelped Jaci, bolting upright, swaying and toppling into Sunny's arms.

"Wow, I think we should have just given her a mirror or something. You two aren't helping," muttered Jungkook, setting an empty tea cup on the table.

"We don't know why it looks like that," he said quietly, coming to kneel on one knee beside the bed. "But my Luna is aware of it and she gave us some things she thought might help. This hasn't happened in a few centuries so none of us are equipped with the knowledge to heal it."

Jaci looked into his eyes and tears pooled in the corners of her eyes. "Will I...die?"

"Oh, honey, no. No, we won't let that happen." Sunny grabbed Jaci's hand and held it

The tea kettle began to whistle and Jungkook rose to go pour the hot water over the teabag for Jaci. His hands trembled as he poured the steaming water into the cup and it caught the eye of the vampire slowly rocking.

"Something wrong?" Taehyung said quietly, getting a quick look from Jungkook.

The werewolf shook his head and smiled. "Just tired. I fell asleep leaning on the bed over there and I'm trying to work the kinks out of my neck and back."

Taehyung hummed in response but kept any further comments to himself.

"Babe, maybe you could put her back to sleep after she drinks this tea." Sunny looked over her shoulder to her husband and he shrugged and nodded.

"No, I'm not tired," protested Jaci.

Sunny giggled and shook her head. "You sound like a toddler. Tae can put you to sleep so the medicine can work better."

Jaci looked at Jungkook who gave her a reassuring nod as he walked over with the tea. She wasn't sure why, but that nod was all she needed to know that being compelled to sleep was good for her health.

"Okay."

***

Thirty minutes later Taehyung was removing his hands from her forehead and leaning back into the chair.

"It's not helping," he said darkly.

Sunny stood behind him and sighed. "I know. If anything, it looks worse."

Jungkook sat in one of the kitchen chairs and stared at the sleeping girl blankly. He thought back to when he woke up with her carding through his hair and how warmth and serenity had flooded over him. It had felt incredibly pleasurable and several times he had been unable to control the soft moans that rose in his throat.

But what it all meant? He had no idea. Maybe he was just so lonely that it was the need for contact that made him feel that way. And he couldn't even process the wound on her neck and the dark thorny lines that were emanating from the wound. But he felt a nagging feeling of concern for her and the need to make sure she was well.

"Jungkook? Did you hear me?" Sunny was looking at Jungkook.

He blinked and looked at her. "Sorry, what?"

"I said we need to get your Luna to come here and look at this herself."

Jungkook sighed and nodded. "Yeah, I agree that would probably be best."

"So, you will go bring her here?" asked Taehyung, giving him a curious look.

A sense of panic and dread filled Jungkook's chest and he had to take a deep breath to try and suppress it. He was confused by the feeling and frustrated with not having an answer for it.

"Kookie?" said Sunny quietly.

His eyes shot to meet hers and her eyes widened.

"Kookie, your eyes..."

"What?" He blinked and rubbed them but didn't feel anything.

"They're bright gold. What's going on?"

Taehyung sighed from his seat and crossed his arms. "Go get your Luna, Jungkook. We will protect Jaci while you're gone."

At Taehyung's words, Jungkook felt relief flooding his chest. "Okay. I will be back soon."

After shifting in the bathroom, and with Sunny opening the front door, he charged out into the moonlit snow, his mind focused on finding his way to Ga-Eun.

AN: Slowly but surely our two characters are drawing closer. I hope you enjoyed the update! Have a lovely weekend, Readers! 💜

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.5K 1.2K 44
„Werewolves don't exist." „But what if I was one?" „Huh?" ࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏ Kim Taehyung and Jeon Jeongguk definitely aren't...
278K 16.8K 33
Jungkook is the most loved and prized omega in the werewolf world. Son to the Red Lotus pack, he is kind, loveable and beautiful. All he wants is to...
652K 19.4K 20
He is cold He doesn't believe in love He gave up on his mate But what will happen when he does find her? In the middle of the forest, He found her...
96.9K 7.9K 112
"Why is it Luna?" Jimin asked. Yoongi smiled softly. "Because even the Alpha submits to the moon." ~ "Human lives are very fragile. They come and go...