It All Started With An Apple

بواسطة TaintedRain

Was published, but is now off the market--I'm sorry! Brianne is the opposite of her best friend, Kyla. Kyla... المزيد

Author PreNote
SOME BIG NEWS 🎉
Read Project University on Wattpad + Patreon! ✨
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Epilogue
Q & A
FAN ART CONTEST
FAN ART CONTEST WINNERS
ANNOUNCEMENT
CHARACTER ART REVEAL
CHARACTER ART MERCH 🎉

Chapter 4

534K 15.7K 11.9K
بواسطة TaintedRain

“Which one looks better?”

I let my head fall back, banging against the wood of the small changing room stall.  Kyla had dragged me in here, informing me that I had to give her “fashion advice” whenever she put something on.  I felt suffocated in this stall—in this store as a whole.  Clothes shopping was not my thing.  But Kyla promised that we’d go to Borders, my favorite store in the world, after so I guess I could deal with this.

I sat up, turning to Kyla.  She stood in front of the finger-print covered mirror hanging from the stall’s wall, holding two practically identical T-shirts out in front of her.  The only difference was the color.  One was blue, and one was pink.  “They’re exactly the same,” I muttered, not understanding Kyla’s thought process.

“No they’re not!” Kyla exclaimed, the shirts flying out in front of her as she threw her hands out in exasperation.  “The color of a shirt means everything to a person’s figure.”

I looked down at the shirt I was wearing—a gray and white striped Tee from JC Penney—contemplating what she said.  I didn’t see how the color of a shirt meant everything to a person’s figure.  Sure, it mattered when it came to your skin tone, but did it really change how you looked figure wise?  I thought that always depended on the shirt as a whole.

“All right, genius,” I said finally, giving up on trying to understand Kyla’s logic.  “You choose which one is better for your figure.”

I let my head fall back on the wall and closed my eyes.  I’d been stuck here for over two hours, watching Kyla try on shirt after shirt with forced patience.  Now all I wanted to do was go to the bookstore.  But, as time ticked on, I began to think that I wouldn’t be able to go at all today.

“I can’t!” Kyla hissed, glaring at my reflection in the mirror.  I stared at myself, noting how worn-out I looked.  Wow.  Clothes shopping really did take its toll.  And I hadn’t even bought anything!  “They both are fine.  I need to know which one is better.”

“The pink one,” I said, randomly choosing one and pointing at it.  I hoped that she would just say okay, pick the shirt I’d chosen, and buy it so that we could leave.

“But . . . .” She bit her lip, hesitantly bringing the blue one out in front of her.

I pulled my cell phone out from my butt pocket and checked the time.  Great.  I had to be home in ten minutes.  It looked like I wasn’t getting a new book today. 

Irritated now, I snapped, “Holy hell, Kyla!  Just buy both!”

“I only have twenty more dollars,” Kyla whined, throwing her hands in the air, almost whacking herself with the shirts.  “I won’t be able to get anything else.”

I stood up, untwisting my shirt and moving my hands to hips.  I regarded her impatiently as I said, “You don’t have time to get anything else.  I have to go, and thanks to you I wasn’t able to get a single book.”

Kyla barely paid any attention to me as she brought the pink shirt in front of her again, a thoughtful look on her face.  “You already have a bunch anyway,” she murmured absently, switching shirts and tilting her head to the side.

“And you already have a bunch of clothes,” I grumbled.  I stuffed my phone back into my pocket and moved toward the stall’s door.  “I’m walking home,” I announced, pulling the stall’s door open and stepping outside.  “You’ll be here all night.”

Kyla mumbled something under her breath.  I paused for a moment, waiting for her to follow, but when realizing she was staying where she was, I pushed away from the door and stormed out of the changing room.  I moved through the racks of clothes, staring at them in disgust.  I truly hated clothes shopping.  It was the worst thing someone could ever make me do. 

I burst through American Eagle’s doors, feeling the sunshine hit my face.  I looked up, shielding my eyes from the sun with my hand.  I let out an aggravated sigh.  What was it about clothes and boys that made girls go crazy?  And why were clothes so important that you chose them over your friend?

This world confused me.  A lot.

I stepped off the sidewalk and began my journey through the parking lot.  I had a long walk home ahead of me—one that was definitely going to take more than ten minutes.  I would call my mom, but she would probably tell me to get over it and just push Kyla out of the store.  Little did she know that there was no pushing that girl out of a clothes store.  I’d be sitting there all night.

But, then again, I was probably going to get lost and take all night to get home anyway.

I sucked at directions.  They just weren’t my thing.

I twisted around, catching a quick glance at Borders.  It stood alone, smack in the middle of the mall’s parking lot.  I sighed longingly, wishing that I could spare a few minutes to buy at least one book.  But, sadly, I couldn’t.

I turned back around, starting through the parking lot again.

“Going somewhere?”

I jumped, spinning around.  I sighed in relief when I realized who it was.  But the relief disappeared as soon as it had come.  Why, oh why was this happening to me?  “Why are you turning up everywhere I go?” I demanded, pointing an accusing finger at the person in front of me.  “Are you following me?”

Dannon held up his hands innocently.  “I was just shopping at the mall and happened to see you.”

“What kind of guy shops at the mall alone?” I wondered aloud.  I wasn’t really talking to him.  I tried to think of a single time I went to the mall with Kyla and saw a boy alone.  It never happened.

“Uh me?” Dannon grinned.  “I was at Borders.”

He held up the Borders bag in his hand.  I stared at it, wide-eyed.  I couldn’t help but feel a sting of jealousy.  While I was stuck in a changing room he was having the time of his life at Borders.  Well, that was, if he liked Borders as much as I did.    

“You went to Borders?” I sputtered, my shock not concealed very well.

“Yeah.”  Dannon brought a hand through his hair.  “It’s my favorite store.”

My mouth almost dropped.  “A guy . . . likes . . . books.”

Dannon laughed, tossing me a smile.  I looked him up and down.  It was odd seeing him out of the school’s atmosphere.  What was odder was the fact that he didn’t seem different at all.  Usually people were at least a little different during the school day.  Kyla and I were both usually quiet during classes unless we were in each other’s class, but the second we left the building we were goofing off.  Everyone else that I’d seen around outside school (like at Wal-Mart or something) seemed different, too.  But Dannon didn’t.

Odd.  So very odd.

“Yes,” Dannon drawled, the smile still on his face, “guys can like books, too.  You sexist female you.” 

I rolled my eyes, glancing behind me.  I turned back to him, sighing.  “Well, congratulations on going to borders.”  I took a step back.  “Now, if you would excuse me, I have a home to get to.”

Dannon easily caught up with me as I hurried away.  I mentally cursed.  Damn athleticism.  “Where’s your car?” he inquired cheerfully.  “I’ll walk you to it.”

I could have puked at how cliché this situation was.  In fact, this entire experience was becoming like a stupid chick flick.  I almost laughed at the thought.  Me in a chick flick?  No chance.  I hated chick flicks almost as much as I hated clothes shopping.  “I’m walking home,” I said simply, trying to quicken my pace.  It didn’t work.  He caught up with me anyway.

“You walked to the mall?”  He seemed shocked.

“No,” I said slowly, wishing that I was anywhere but here right now, “I came with Kyla, but she’s not leaving and time soon and I need to be home in ten minutes.”

I stopped walking as Dannon suddenly reached out, grabbing me lightly by the arm.  “You’re not going to get home in ten minutes if you’re walking.”  His eyebrows furrowed.  He tugged my arm slightly.  “Come on, I’ll drive you.”

I eyed him suspiciously.  “Why?”

“Because I’ll feel bad if I let you walk home knowing you’ll get in trouble for being late.”  He smiled.  “Humor me?”

I paused, thinking it over.  It was true.  I would get in trouble if I got home late.  My dad was cooking tonight—something that rarely ever happened due to the fact that my mom always insisted on doing the cooking.  But, then again, I didn’t really like the thought of getting in the car with Dannon.  I mean I knew he wasn’t a creep that was going to rape me or something, but still.  I wasn’t comfortable with him.

After weighing the options, I gave him a pointed look and nodded.  “Just this once.”

He grinned and slid his hand down to my wrist, pulling me through the rows of cars.  I decided not to yell at him for touching me, because I really wasn’t in the mood to fight with him.  All I wanted to do was get home and eat food that was actually edible for once.

His car wasn’t that far away—about two aisles over.  He was silent as we walked, which really surprised me.  Ever since I’d thrown the apple it took all I had just to get him to shut his mouth.  I eyed him curiously.  He really was an odd guy.

Once we reached his Saturn, Dannon pulled his car keys out of his pants pocket and pressed the Unlock button on his automatic locker.  “Hop in,” he murmured, moving toward the driver’s door.

I scurried over to the passenger’s side and pulled the door open.  I slid inside, trying to get comfortable as I buckled up.  His car smelled nice.  I couldn’t put my finger on what it exactly smelled like, but it smelled good.  

Dannon held up his bag of books, looking at me questioningly.  “Can you hold these?”

I nodded, taking the bag silently.  He smiled, giving me permission to look at them if I wanted.  How he knew I wanted to see what he bought, I didn’t know.  It was probably in my expression.

I pulled out the two books he’d bought, looking them over while Dannon pulled out of the parking spot.  I smiled, running my fingers over the covers.  I had both of the books—had read them both multiple times.  “Gone and Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment,” I murmured vaguely, my smile growing.  “You have a freakishly good taste in books.”

Dannon laughed and I looked up.  His eyes were alight with amusement.  “You’ve read them?”

I nodded, setting the books back in the bag.  “Yeah.  They’re both really good.”

“Good to know.”  Dannon glanced at me from the corner of his eye.  “I need directions to your house.”

I rubbed my arm, biting my lip.  “I suck at directions.”

Dannon smiled.  “Just an address will be fine.”

I relayed the address to him, and he nodded.  That was a good sign.  At least he knew where my house was. 

It was silent for a little while.  I looked out the window, pretending to take interest in the scenery outside when I actually didn’t.  I wondered if Kyla realized that I was gone yet.  Sure, she’d replied when I said I was leaving, but that didn’t mean she was really listening.  Knowing her she thought that I was still sitting there in the stall with her listening to her complain about how she didn’t know what shirt to buy.

I jumped slightly when my phone buzzed in my pocket.  I pulled it out, sighing when I saw who it was.  Kyla.  Irony was a funny thing.  I pressed the Ignore button before shoving it back into my pocket, returning to the “amazing” scenery out the window.

“You don’t want to get that?” Dannon asked.

“No.”

“Why not?” he asked curiously.

I looked at him.  “No reason.”

He chuckled, shaking his head as he turned down a street.  “That was Kyla, wasn’t it?”

I decided not to reply to him, for he was forcing his way into business that wasn’t his.  I turned back to the window, studiously ignoring both Dannon and the pestering buzzing of my phone.  I instead stared at a fly that had flown onto the window and was clinging to it.  I poked it with my finger, grinning as it flew away.

From the corner of my eye I saw Dannon move to turn on the radio and then suddenly moved his hand away, changing his mind.  I cocked an eyebrow. What station would he have turned it on to?  Was he the type of person who listened to Q97.9—a pop station—or did he prefer something like 94.3, which played rock music?  Or did he prefer something else entirely?

Dannon made another turn.  We were almost at my house.  I shifted in my seat, antsy to get home.

“So,” Dannon drew out, throwing me a smile, “how was the mall?”

My eyebrows rose.  “Are you trying to make small talk?”

“You couldn’t have just answered the question?” Dannon asked with a laugh.

I crossed my arms over my chest, staring him down.  “Well, why are you answering my question with a question?” I challenged.

“Why are you?” Dannon retorted, the smile remaining on his face.

I slumped, sighing in defeat.  “It was boring,” I muttered finally.

Dannon grinned, looking thoroughly proud of himself.  He fist pumped, laughing as I rolled my eyes.  I pushed back in my seat, stretching out my legs.  The way he was acting right now reminded me of Garrett.  Whenever my brother would win in some form or another he’d fist-pump and whoop about how he was the king of the world.  And then, when I’d had enough of his bragging, I’d whack him on the shoulder and tell him to shut up.

I’d whack Dannon if I had the guts.

There was some part of me that was scared the smile was going to suddenly vanish from his face and his true self would appear.  I could just see it now: he would glare at me, his jaw working in irritation.  He’d yell at me for being so difficult, for not accepting his façade.  And then he’d reached forward, withdraw his fangs—

Great.  So I imagined his true self as a vampire.

Yeah, because that was realistic.

I sat up as my house came in view.  “It’s that one on the left,” I said softly, pointing to my house.

Dannon nodded, pulling into my driveway.  We sat there silently for a moment.  I looked up at my house, smiling at its familiarity.  I’d lived there my whole life, in the grey house with a small bricking at the bottom. 

“Nice house,” Dannon said softly, bringing me from my reverie.

I looked at him to see if he was being sarcastic before saying a quick, “Thanks.”  I lifted up the Border’s bag and handed it to him.  “I believe these are yours.”

Dannon smiled, taking the bag from my outstretched hand and setting it gingerly in the backseat.  I watched, slightly surprised that he cared enough about the novels to not toss them carelessly.  Everyone else I knew would.

I shifted, unbuckling and tossing the door open.  “Thanks for the ride,” I mumbled.

“No problem.”  He shot me a quick smile.

I stepped out of the car, standing there awkwardly for a moment before shutting the door.  I mean, what else was there to say?  I’d thanked him.  It wasn’t like I was going to stand there and have a conversation with him when the comforts of my home were right there.

As I began my journey up my driveway, my mom appeared at the doorway.  I half-expected her to look upset for me being late—even though I really wasn’t that late, maybe five minutes at the most.  But, then I realized that she had a curious expression on her face.  “Who’s that?” she inquired, gesturing to Dannon still inside his car.

I glanced at Dannon.  Telling her who he was probably wasn’t in my best interest.  I mean she thought I had a crush on the guy.  “A guy from school,” I said, stepping onto the porch.”  I waved at him stiffly, making that the signal for him to leave.  But, obviously, Dannon didn’t understand that, for he simply waved back, smiling.

Why wasn’t he leaving?  Why, oh why wasn’t he leaving?

My mom’s mouth dropped.  “Is that—?”

I immediately shook my head, feeling dread as she began jumping on the balls of her feet.  Oh jeez.  This was not good.  “No, Mom,” I muttered, pushing her lightly toward the door.  “Can we please go inside now?”

“That’s the boy you have a crush on, isn’t it?” She squealed, grabbing me by the shoulders and shaking me slightly.  “What’s his name again?  Oh, what is his name?  It starts with a D . . .”

Suddenly she was gone, hurrying down the driveway and to his car.  I watched her, my eyes wide.  Oh no.  Oh no, oh no, oh no!  What was she doing?  Was she waltzing right up to his car and telling him about my supposed crush for him?  I clutched to the side of the porch.  I would die if she did that.  He’d probably never let that go.

My eyes widened even more as I watched her open the driver’s door and Dannon stepped out.  Dannon was getting out of the car.  He was getting out of the car!  Why was he doing that?  Why

My mom had invited him inside, hadn’t she?  How lovely.

“Mom,” I hissed through gritted teeth, “what are you doing?”

My mom smiled brightly, gesturing for Dannon to go ahead of her.  He obliged, coming to stand beside me.  I scowled at him from the corner of my eye.  I did not like this.  At all.  “He brought you home!” she exclaimed, pointing out the obvious.  “The least we can do is invite him for dinner.”

I shoved my hands into my pockets.  “Mom,” I said, smiling tightly, “he didn’t get permission from his parents.”

My small attempt to get her to change her mind didn’t work because stupid Dannon had to butt in.  “My dad won’t mind.  He always begs me to get out of the house.”

“What about your mom?” I demanded, not allowing this to slide so easily.

Dannon smiled at me.  “She died when I was three.”

I froze, not knowing what to say.  He didn’t seem at all bothered by the fact that his mother was no longer here with him, nor bothered that I asked about her.  But, still.  “Oh . . .” I muttered, feeling completely awkward.  “I’m sorry.”

Dannon was about to answer, but my mom threw her arms around him, blubbering, “Aw you poor thing!”  She shot a pointed look in my direction.  “Brianne, why don’t you stop being so coldhearted and open the door?”

I grumbled under my breath, prying open the door and holding it open irritably as my mom and Dannon headed inside.  Dannon thanked me softly as he passed, throwing me one of his smiles.  I imagined kicking him in the nuts and smiled back.

As we entered the household my mom said in a sickeningly cheerful voice, “Dannon, hon, why don’t you make yourself comfortable while Brianne helps me set the table?”

I rolled my eyes.  Why hadn’t they set the table already?  Usually my mom took pride in setting the table before I got home so that we could immediately begin eating the second I stepped through the door.  I guessed that only applied with her cooking.  Adults baffled me.

“All right,” Dannon murmured politely, a small smile on his lips.  “Thank you, Mrs. Nichols.”

My mom gave a dismissive wave of the hand.  “Oh, call me Julie!” she exclaimed.  She smiled in a way that made me want to gag.  It reminded me of a part in a movie I watched a few years back called She’s the Man where the mom was talking about her daughter’s ex-boyfriend.  Talk about ew!

Dannon didn’t seem to detect this, however.  He simply smiled like he always did, saying, “Okay, Julie.”

This dinner was going to be awkward.

Very awkward.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

3.8K 263 35
𝙒𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙬𝙤𝙪𝙡𝙙 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙙𝙤 𝙞𝙛 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙛𝙚𝙡𝙡 𝙞𝙣𝙩𝙤 𝙖 𝙘𝙤𝙢𝙖 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙬𝙤𝙠𝙚 𝙪𝙥 𝙛𝙚𝙚𝙡𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙗𝙚𝙩𝙧𝙖𝙮𝙚𝙙 𝙗𝙮 𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙮𝙤𝙣𝙚...
872K 18.8K 66
"Okay, you know what? You're such a jackass and I never should have kissed you," I say. Colton stands up. His green eyes are just as angry as mine ar...
1.2K 249 19
Caden grabs both of Lilly's hands, pulls them close to him, and says, "Lilly, please stop saying that. It's not your fault Caleb's a jerk who likes t...
10.7M 74.9K 22
(Sample. Watch out for the official book release on January 31, 2015!) The women in Brianne Montgomery's family have a curse. And she isn't going t...