Braxton Academy

By KA0827

Braxton Academy is a disciplinary (non-academic) school for minors. Naomi Taylor is a fourteen-year-old girl... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Update
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
New Chapter
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Continuing
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Update
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Q&A w/ me
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Room 113 Poll
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42

Chapter 13

4.1K 74 16
By KA0827

NAOMI'S POV:

Mr. Davis grounded me exactly nine days ago and, even though I was free to assume my normal schedule, I've made myself scarce lately. You would think that any teenager would be jumping-up-and-down after their punishment was over, but for me my punishment was replaced with a wave of depression. For the last two weeks I've been counting down the days like I normally would this time of year at home. I would be in our van on the way to the lodge, singing with my mom in the front seat and stopping every ten minutes for my brother to use the bathroom.

*Knock, Knock*

I shoved my calendar back into my desk drawer and returned my marker to my cup holder before calmly saying, "Come in."

Mr. Davis opened the door and stepped eagerly inside. I haven't spoken to him in almost four days and I've put my best efforts forward to make sure that I don't run into Mr. Patry either. But I'm sure that everyone in the Academy does that, even Mr. Davis even though he won't admit it.

"I haven't seen much of you lately." He said plainly.

"I haven't left my room lately, being grounded and all you know." I eyed at him.

He gave me a mocked smirk, "Those are the consequences that you brought on yourself."

I nodded my head, desperate to get out of this approaching conversation. I can only image what he wants to say.

"As you know, tomorrow most of the students will go home for the day for the holiday." He crossed his arms over his chest and leaned his shoulder against my wall. "Therefore, I think we should go get supplies and necessities for school since you'll be starting in early August."

I forgot all about that. Mr. Davis convinced me that it would be worthwhile to attend an early school program to help me adjust to the new surrounding and to get ahead in my academics. I was excited at first since it's a literature class, but now that it's practically on my shoulders I think I've changed my mind.

"What supplies?"

"What do you usually get every year for school?"

"Um, notebooks, pencils, highlighters, that's usually it." I looked around at my desk and noticed that I already have most of those things on hand.

"Well you don't have a bookbag and we also need to get clothes for your uniform."

"Uniform?" I asked shockingly.

"Yes," he smiled. "the school district in this area requires a uniform. All Braxton students who will be residing here during the school year are required to comply with the school dress code."

"Great." My shoulders had involuntarily slumped.

"Be ready in the morning by 10 a.m., we'll go to the mall and the plaza to get you what you need."

"Okay, thank you Mr. Davis."

I turned my head back to my desk, trying to hint that there was nothing more I wanted to say and nothing more I wanted to talk about.

"Goodnight then." He said awkwardly.

"Goodnight sir."'

________________________________________________

I woke up unexpectedly and not feeling any better than last night, it was as if my head was accusing me of not feeling sad enough about this week. So it decided to taunt me with an extra nudge of omission.  Looking over at my alarm, I realized that I have an hour before I have to meet Mr. Davis in his office.

"I guess I better get ready." I whispered to myself.

I grabbed my morning kit and headed straight to the bathroom to brush my teeth and splash my face with cold water to wake myself up. I hope my eyes won't be too noticeably red after struggling to clear my mind so I could sleep last night.

"Hey Naomi." Jessie came to the sink next to me.

"Hi Jessie, going home today?" I asked politely.

"Yeah, my parents always throw this over-the-top cookout for the family and our neighbors. I'd never hear the end of if I didn't come...besides it's gonna be nice to get out of here even for a day." She quieted down at the end after she noticed my immediate discouragement. "Sorry."

"It's okay. Mr. Davis and I are going school shopping."

"Oh that's right, you're doing the extra program in August right? What class are you taking?"

"World literature with someone named Ondako."

"Awesome, we'll be in the same class." She rubbed her shoulder up against mine and she managed to get a smile out of me.

"I didn't know you were doing the program but it'll be nice to have a friend in the class."

"Definitely. Well I hope you have a good day with Mr. Davis."

"Yeah me too. I hope you have a good day with your family. See you later." I said before zipping up my bag and exiting the bathroom.

I went back to my room and got changed, it felt nice to put on a pair of jeans and to actually wear open-toe shoes. My flats were starting to give me a bruise on my pinkie toe. Feeling a little more like myself, I decided to put on my charm bracelet. It was a gift from my mom when I was ten and every year for my birthday we would add a new charm to it. I stroked the multiple charms slowly as I admired how precious it used to be to me. After finding out that my parents weren't coming back, I threw it in a box and shoved it far back into the closet. It hasn't been on my wrist since.

*Ding, Ding, Ding* My alarm clocked buzzed, indicating that it was time for me to head down to meet Mr. Davis.

Exiting the girls corridor, I noticed that the building was entirely different. Everyone I passed along the way so far has been smiling and overjoyed, entirely thrilled that they would be going home even if it was just for a day. Not to mention that no one was in their Braxton uniform. It was so weird seeing everyone's individual fashion sense, it was like I was meeting everyone in a new light for the very first time.

"Wow, check you out." Jasper said after coming up behind me. "I like your style."

"Oh, thanks." I brushed my hair behind me and smiled. "Are you going home for the day?"

"Yeah, my dad will be here within an hour."

I took a step back and observed him; he was wearing jeans with a light blue collared t-shirt. He looked good, much more alive and awake than he was on the average day.

"I hope you have fun."

"It'll be nice to see my brother but I hate going home for the holidays. I don't get why everyone gets so excited about it."

"What do you mean? I would think it would be nice to see everyone, it even could be an opportunity to show your parents that you're ready to come home."

He sighed at my enthusiasm, "Take it from someone whose been in and out of here so many times before, all the holidays do is give you a taste of everything you're missing out on. It makes coming back here so much harder afterwards."

I nodded my head, he had a fair point. Even though it seemed a little pessimistic.

"We should do something this weekend." I said carefully, hoping that he hasn't changed his mind from the last time.

"I agree, what do you have in mind?"

I wasn't expecting a follow-up question, I was hoping he had something in mind instead so I wouldn't be forced to pick something he might not like. I know he would pick something that I would like because I'm a very easy person to get along with, but I'm a little insecure about picking the date activity.

"Tons, but I have to get going. Mr. Davis is waiting for me, I'll talk to you tomorrow." I said out of nervousness, it was the only legitimate excuse I could use.

I scurried away as fast as I could, adverting the eyes from all the guys in the hallway who noticed that I was flirting with Jasper. Normally I would be so excited about it that I wouldn't have even of noticed everyones judgement but this family trip tradition is making everything seem substandard or worse than it actually is.

"Naomi, right on time." Mr. Davis said as he noticed me standing outside his door.

Even Mr. Davis was dressed differently, this is the first time I've ever seen him in anything other than a suit. He was wearing jeans with a red plaid flannel that had short sleeves.

"Are you ready?" He put his wallet in his back pocket and grabbed his car keys from his desk.

I nodded and moved out into the hallway so he could lock his office door behind him. We made an immediate right turn and exited through the stairwell that led us directly to the parking lot. He led me to a dark grey car in the second parking space that was postmarked with his name, it was immediately beside Mr. Patry's.

I got in the back, my parents always made me ride in the back so I assumed Mr. Davis would as well. Putting on my seatbelt, I noticed how clean he kept it, every single thing had a place. His keys went in the first cupholder, his wallet went in the other, and I could see that his phone was wedged into the side holder on his door.

"Here is your phone." He slipped it onto the console in the middle of the driver and passenger seat.

"Oh, thanks."

He slipped the key into the ignition, carefully giving it a turn, before shifting the car into drive and pulling out of the parking lot. I looked behind me, out the back window, and watched as the Academy fade into the background. I've always wanted to see that happen, but in a much different context.

"Are you excited to begin school?"

"Anxious is more the word and I'm not looking forward to these uniforms. What even are they?"

"The colors are green and white, their spirit pattern is paid so you're allowed to wear that, but the dress code consists of skirts, slacks, blouses and sweaters."

"Can I wear plaid pants?"

"The students are permitted to wear plaid skirts so I would assume so."

"Okay, that's not so bad then." I shrugged.

That's actually great because I love me a pair of plaid pants. It's very weird for my age, but my mother instilled a love for business casual attire into my head since I was old enough to dress myself.

"But no white pants or skirts." He made clear.

"I have white and black tops, so I don't need to get those." I started thinking of everything that I needed.

"So then we need plaid attire." He glanced at me through the rearview to see my reaction. There wasn't much of one.

I started feeling nerves crawling inside my skin as I realized that I was about to spend the day with Mr. Davis outside the Academy. My temporary depression was even making today seem more of a chore than as a fun activity. I leaned my head against my arm, which was resting on the top of the passenger door, and soon started to fall asleep. _______________________________________________________

MR. DAVIS' POV:

She fell asleep within a matter of minutes. I was unsure of whether this was due to a lack of sleep or if car rides had this effect on her, I've never been in the car with her before so I didn't want to draw attention to it. She's lost some of the radiance she normally has towards her and that usually tells me that there is something bothering her but she hasn't mentioned it. I'm going to try my best to make today as exciting as possible, I'm aiming to help her get back to her normal life again. Hopefully school will bring that to her as well. As expected, there is a level of awkwardness that we will need to overcome today, but I'm confident that we can push past it and strengthen our relationship together.

"Naomi, wake up." I said eagerly as I pulled into the mall.

"Huh?" She said sleepily as she yawned.

"Where would you like to go in first?" I turned back to look at her, even though she was too busy looking around the plaza.

"My mom and I used to shop at Old Navy." She pointed to her right. 

"Old Navy sounds like a good place to get what you need. Watch your door when you get out." I warned.

I stepped out and walked around to meet her since she sat on the opposite side. We walked fiddly through the parking lot towards the store on the corner, she kept her head down the whole way and barely looked towards me as if she had just met me for the first time.

"After you." I opened the door for her.

"Thank you." She smiled.

Okay good, there's one smile. One step closer together. I angled her to the left of the store where the women's section was and watched as she walked through towards the professional division. Naomi was very mature for her age, even though she often finds herself in trouble, and I felt very proud to see her finding her own style.

"Mr. Davis." She motioned me forward.

"Hmm?"

"This stuff is too expensive. Maybe we could go somewhere else?" She lifted the price tag on a pair of plaid pants to show me.

"Don't worry about the price, this is for school and nothing is too expensive for that." I smiled but she didn't seem convinced.

"But it doesn't feel right that you're spending your money on me." She flipped to another pair. "This is awkward."

I sighed at her stubbornness, "Naomi, trust me, I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't want to. As your guardian, nothing that I do for you or with you is unnecessary. Okay?"

She nodded, I could see the corners of her mouth upturn and her eyes crinkle as she turned back to the clothing section.

"How about you get two plaid pants, two solid pants, the same with skirts, and maybe a new pair of shoes."

"I have a pair of dark green pants at the Academy so I got that going for me." She grabbed two green plaid pants and one pair of solid black pants, instantly knowing her size which was a bonus for me.

"Now for shoes." She walked parallel to where I was standing and picked up a pair of ankle boots.

__________________________________________________

NAOMI'S POV:

These were great for the plaid pants that I have and they weren't that expensive either. One was black and green and the other had white stitching added to it. I was trying to go as fast as I could because Mr. Davis looked like he was suffering over there but there were so many combinations and it's been so long since I've been anywhere other than the Academy. It was really nice what Mr. Davis was doing for me but I still felt uneasy about the whole situation.

"Are those what you want?" He interjected.

"I think so, I have flats at the Academy and they're still in good shape. Besides, these will go with everything that I would wear at school."

"Okay. Why don't you go look at the skirts." He motioned towards the aisle adjacent from the shoes. "There's also book bags over there."

I nodded and headed towards a stand that had several styled skirts. I was distracted for a minute by a light red bookbag that caught my eye. It was simple and functional and I loved that.

I turned back to see if he was watching but he was looking around him, he always was aware of his surroundings. I took the book bag from the rack and looked at the inside but then I felt a vibration from my phone in my back pocket. There was a text from an old friend from home.

Katie: Hey, are you and your family going to the grounds this year? I don't see you guys here.

And with that I was reminded in that single moment of how it felt to be left behind. Suddenly the little excitement I had left my body and I felt a blow of heat rush to my face. I was determined to grab the skirts and leave as fast as possible so I could go to my room and call Katie. Picking up one plaid skirt and one plain one, I shoved them into my arms and barged back to Mr. Davis.

"I'm ready."

"Do you need to try anything on?" He asked nicely.

"No sir."

He discerned everything I had picked out and took one of the skirts from my arms. Holding it up, he glanced at the stand from where I picked it out.

"No, the skirts are too short. Pick other ones."

"That's not too short, they're fine." I shook my head.

"That's not for you to decide." He shot me an altering look. "Go pick some other ones from that rack." He pointed in the opposite direction.

"But that's bull-crap. How do you know if they're too short..."

"I said no Naomi." He raised his voice slightly and stood straight.

"Whatever." I said with a sigh.

I took the skirt and put the plaid one back but I kept the black one shoved in between the pants in my arm. I walked over the rack he suggested and then pulled out another black one.

"Let's go." I said instantly as I returned to him.

We walked towards the check out line while I ignored every sign he was showing, even though subconsciously I noticed that his demeanor had changed, that was the last thing on my mind. The only thing rushing through my head was calling her to see if my parents were at the lodging grounds.

I zoned out, running a thousand possibilities of finding my parents through my head, from the minute Mr. Davis paid for everything until we reached the car where he turned around to give me a grim look.

"I am not sure what came over you in the store but I suggest you snap out of it now. If there is something wrong you can tell me, only then can we discuss it."

I shook my head slightly but then quickly pulled out my phone and shot a text to Katie: Do you see my family? Any of them there? Let me know if you do!

He turned forward and took a deep breath as he gripped the steering wheel tightly. Then he suddenly turned around and snatched my phone right out of my hand. "I was speaking to you."

"Hey! Give that back!" I started to object and I jumped forward but he had already put it in the console.

"Naomi Taylor," he wrapped his hand around the top of the passenger seat to look back at me. "either you're going to mind your attitude or I'll fix it for you...and believe me you do not want to see how I will handle it."

I sat back in my seat and put on my seatbelt, indicating to him that I had nothing more to say. He put on his seatbelt and started the car, heading back in the direction from which we came.

I've been staring at the console for the last ten minutes, I swear if he wasn't sitting right there I would definitely reach in and take a quick peak. There was a vibration that was driving me insane.

"Can I have my phone?" I tried asking nicely.

"No. Not for the way you've acted today."

"Mr. Davis please, it's an emergency." I emphasized as he glanced back at me in the rear view mirror.

"What's the emergency?"

"I...I can't tell you." I eased back against the seat, just this instant realizing that this wasn't something I felt comfortable talking to Mr. Davis about. 

"Then it must not be an emergency so the answer is still no."

"But Mr. Davis...!"

"No buts Naomi, now sit back and settle down." He said sternly

Another blow of heat rushed to my head and I felt so much pressure that I was ready to go to any extent to get the answers that I've been asking for the last six months. And with that, I unbuckled my seatbelt to reach forward and dig into the console. I swirled my hand around and finally caught ahold of it.

"What're you doing? Sit back now!" He reached back and grabbed my wrist.

"You can't keep this from me!" I yelled as I  transferred the phone into my other hand.

We've missed you! Come back to play another round for a special surprise!  Dammit. I slumped back against the seat. It was nothing more than an app from a game that I used to play at home.

After feeling a rippling space being sucked from my heart, since all my actions were suddenly futile, I noticed that Mr. Davis had suddenly pulled the car over in a flash and unbuckled his seatbelt before we even made a complete stop. Shifting the car in park and getting out in one swift motion, he entered the back seat behind the driver side. I went for the passenger door handle and managed to open the door slightly but he reached across from me and pulled it shut.

"Going somewhere?"

After no answer, he forcibly grabbed my wrist and took my phone from my left hand. Throwing it on the front seat, he closed the driver side door and then, without hesitation, pulled me over his lap.

"Wait!" I tried resisting but he already had my feet under his right leg and had ahold of my waist.

Smack! He pulled down my pants and then fixed my underwear so they were fitted.

"Get off of me!"

Crack! He put a lot of effort into that. "What the hell did you just say to me?"

I didn't respond, I was too busy wiping the tears from my cheeks. Growing impatient, he reached down to my feet and removed one of my shoes.

"Perfect, you're wearing leather sandals." Smack!

I yelped at that one after he landed it right across the middle. Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack!

"Please!" Smack! Smack!

"Have I got your attention now?" He asked coldly.

"Yes sir." I whimpered.

Smack! Smack! "This is not how this day was supposed to go Naomi but you insist on pushing me. When I say no, I mean no." Smack! Smack!  "Just like when I say enough, I mean enough." Smack!

"I'm sorry." I sobbed. "I'll act better."

He let me go and I immediately pushed myself against the opposite door as far as I could to catch my breath.

With my own shoe, he pointed directly at me and scooted to face me. "I don't want to hear another word until we return to the Academy, where you will go directly to my office upon our arrival."

"Yes sir." I nodded.

He put my shoe on the seat and then relinquished one more severe glare before opening the back door and switching to behind the wheel. I don't want to sound conceited but I'm a very smart person for my age...and I know how screwed I am right now.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.3K 85 16
A boy named Jamie had been suspended from school because of him bullying a kid, hes mum and dad have taught of being a good idea of treating him like...
4.2K 617 46
Dunwich Academy for Boys and Dunwich Academy for Girls annually send their Year Eleven students to The Facility - an off-school campus that, along wi...
1.9M 45.3K 28
Taylor Harrison has had an abusive upbringing with her father after her mother died in a car crash when she was 5. With her in the car when her mothe...
1.2K 80 10
A love story between Janet Jackson and Toni Braxton...Read the story!