Clarity ~ m.c.

By kat_5sosAussies

After losing her mom to the war in Afghanistan Lauren thought it was the hardest thing she would have to go t... More

Clarity
•Chapter 1•
•Chapter 2•
•Chapter 3•
•Chapter 4•
•Chapter 5•
•Chapter 6•
•Chapter 7•
•Chapter 8•
•Chapter 9•
•Chapter 10•
•Chapter 11•
•Chapter 12•
•Chapter 13•
•Chapter 14•
•Chapter 15•
•Chapter 16•
•Chapter 17•
•Chapter 18•
•Chapter 19•
•Chapter 20•
•Chapter 21•
•Chapter 22•
•Chapter 23•
•Chapter 24•
•Chapter 25•
•Chapter 26•
•Chapter 27•
•Chapter 28•
•Chapter 30•
•Chapter 31•
•Chapter 32•
•Chapter 33•
•Chapter 34•
•Chaper 35•
•Chapter 36•
•Chapter 37•
•Chapter 38•
•Chapter 39•
•Chapter 40•
•Chapter 41•
•Chapter 42•
•Chapter 43•
•Chapter 44•
***Autor's Note***
•Chapter 45•
•Chapter 46•
•Chapter 47•
•Chapter 48•
•Chapter 49•
•Chapter 50•
Author's Note

•Chapter 29•

90 4 0
By kat_5sosAussies

Playlist:

Do or Die- Thirty Seconds to Mars

Up in the Air- Thirty Seconds to Mars

***Lauren's POV***

"This is it. You ready?" Brendan asked me as we stood in the tunnel to enter the arena gym floor.

"More than ever." I said shaking my hands like I had water on them, trying to get loose.

February 20th, Day 1 of Australian Olympic Gymnastics Team trials. Today's activity: Vault.

They had these coming six days set up with one activity a day, so today the only event every girl would be participating in is Vault and each girl would be given three chances to show their three best routines they prepared. There were a lot of girls trying out, but they calculated that for the next four days (Feb 20-23) each girl will have three opportunities to show their routines on each event. Then the two days after that (Feb 24-25) it will be run like a real competition and every girl will have two chances to run through each event. Then on the 26th is results day. So it basically looked like this:

February 20th: Vault

February 21st: Balance Beams

February 22nd: Uneven Bars

February 23rd: Floor Exercise

February 24th: one run through every event

February 25th: second run through every event

February 26th: Results

"This isn't going to be your average competition Lauren; this is going to be a lot harder physically and mentally. They're going to be judging you on every little thing and nit-pick you and your routines to the bone." Brendan reminded me.

"I know." I said taking a deep breath.

"Oh and let's not forget that it's all in front of a crowd too." Brendan added.

"Brendan are you purposely trying to make me nervous?" I chuckled.

"Oh sorry."

"It's okay." I laughed.

"Gymnasts line up please." Someone yelled into the crowded hallway of girls so they could get us in alphabetical order and we could enter the gymnastics arena.

"Any last minute advice?" I asked him.

"Have fun." He said to me. "I know you want this so bad Lauren, but make sure you have fun and enjoy the experience more than anything."

"Will do." I said, I took off my mom's combat jacket and handed it to Brendan so I was in my black and red leotard. I walked over so I was on line and they started rearranging everyone.

There were so many girls, how am I going to beat all these girls for one of the five spots on the team? I thought. Don't think like that, you can do this. I reassured myself.

"Overwhelming isn't it?" a voice came from behind me. I turned around found a girl my age who was wearing a purple and white leotard and had her brunette hair pulled back in a tight bun like mine.

"I would say more surreal." I commented.

"Yeah that's a good word to use." She chuckled. "I'm Grace." She added since they were still trying to get all the girls in line.

"Lauren." I told her.

"You wouldn't happen to be Lauren Jacobs would you?" she asked me.

"Um, yes." I said. "Why do you ask?"

"Because you're the American Reject!" she said.

"What's with this name American Reject?" I asked still not fully understanding this nickname.

"Because you came here from America and you've been winning competitions all over Sydney and the East Coast, like you had to go somewhere else to make a name for yourself. Everyone in the gymnastics world knows about you!" she explained to me. "Oh and lets not forget that your dating Michael Clifford from 5 Seconds of Summer."

"How do you know that?" I asked her confused to how she could possibly know about me and Michael.

"Everyone knows about it, it's all over social media." She showed me her phone.

"Right I forgot about the pap's and stuff." I chuckled becoming a little embarrassed that I forgot. "Look, I'm just another person who loves gymnastics and happens to be dating someone famous." I told her. "There's nothing special about me."

She was about to say something else to counter argue but the line started moving so we had to walk out so they could introduce all the gymnasts. Standing on the floor exercise mat in the center of the arena all of us stood shoulder to shoulder waiting for our name to be called where we would have to step forward and walk to everyone in the stands.

"Lauren Jacobs." The announcer said into the microphone and my name echoed in the arena. As soon as my name was announced a distinct roar came from the stands as people started cheering. I took the step forward and started waving make a full 180 degree turn in order to wave to every side of the arena. I tried looking for my family but it was hard to spot anyone you recognize in the huge crowd of people.

"Yeah there's nothing special about you." Grace laughed as I took my spot back.

"Grace Johnson." The announcer said and Grace did the same thing I did and people clapped for her too. After that was all over we were directed to stand back in the hallway we were in before. I started talking to Grace more waiting for further instruction and for all of our coaches & trainers to find us.

"Well. Well. Well. Look what the cat dragged in." Another voice came from behind me, turning around I became face to face with Mia. God can't his girl leave me alone? I thought to myself.

"Oh and look the loser found another loser to talk to. What's wrong Lauren? Got tired of hanging out with your other loser friends?" she said pretending to look like she was trying to show sympathy.

"Oh and where are your stuck up bitches you call your friends Mia? Did they finally realize how terrible you are and leave you?" I said mocking the same tone she talked to me and giving her the same look she gave me as well. And she became infuriated.

"How did you even get in here anyway? Only Australian citizens can try out." She snapped.

"Oh did you not hear? I am an Australian citizen, since Saturday in fact." I told her and she became even more pissed off.

"Look you little wanna be bitch I've worked too hard to get here only to let someone like you take it away from me!" she yelled in my face.

"That's enough, break it up here." Brendan said separating the two of us. "Mia, go back over to Jill." He told her. Mia was going to say something else but Brendan cut her off.

"Go." He boomed pointing back over to where she should be and Mia stomped her foot and pouted away.

"Well that wasn't awkward." Grace said sarcastically.

"She never stops!" I told her. "That's what I have to deal with!"

"I understand." Grace commented and Brendan and I looked a little confused.

"How?" I asked her.

"She's my cousin." Grace told us emotionless.

"I am so sorry." I told her and she started laughing.

"Thanks."

"Alright gymnasts!" someone called out to get all of our attentions. "Today's event is vault. You were all put into groups, so everyone in group A please follow me!" and girls who were in group A started walking back into the arena. I was in group D so I had a while.

"Lauren I want you to take this time to stretch and get loose okay?" Brendan directed me and I shook my head.

***

"Next on vault, Lauren Jacobs." My named boomed through the arena.

My third and final run on vault for the day; make it a good one, I told myself.

Standing at the end of the runway, I looked down to the vault at the other end, and blocked out all the surrounding noises in the arena. I could hear no one, no cheering or anything, nothing but waiting for the buzzer to go off that I could begin at any time. Taking deep breaths I had my eyes closed, then with the sound of the buzzer going off, my eye lids shot open and I started running down the runway.

Sprinting down to the vault, I could feel my feet connect with the box springs and push off the vault to flip in the air and stick the landing. The pitch erupted in cheers and screams. Walking off of the platform and Brendan greeted me with a big hug. Standing there we watched the score board waiting for my score to come up. Based on what I did the max score I could get is a 16.500 so when my score finally came up and I got a 15.233 I was not complaining at all.

"That's how it's done!" Brendan cheered. "Keep it up like that and you'll be in for sure!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.3K 218 47
{COMPLETED}Izzy has always been looking for the person she would fall in love with at first sight. when she catches the eye of Michael Clifford, she...
661 13 35
Rose Clifford lived a relatively happy life in Southern California, until her parents died in a car crash. She woke up from a concussion with the new...
121 0 20
After a tragic change in her life, she's gotta find a place where she belongs. Her group of friends try to help her, but one tries more then the othe...
34.1K 1.2K 24
Cassie, 17, has to leave everything behind when she moves across the country. She's miserable about it, but someone she meets on the plane ride may c...