All Is Fair ~ Tom Riddle AU

By 888AthenaBlack888

In Horace Slughorn's defence, he couldn't have known that all this would happen. All he had wanted to do was... More

ALL IS FAIR
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Epilogue
IN LOVE AND WAR
SEQUEL | Fire and Gold

Chapter 32

24.6K 1K 1.3K
By 888AthenaBlack888

---------------------> STRESS WAS UNIVERSAL. It existed in every single human being and increased during pressure full times like when a person was due to write a set of examinations that would basically decide their future- only one Artemis Potter did not know what exactly she wanted to do with her future. Lovely.

People also had different ways of channelling their stress into somewhat productive ways. Gen would randomly pull up a few unfortunate lower-class years and explain to them in detail the entirety of the history portions for O.W.Ls, firmly a believer that it was only if one could teach a topic to someone who knew nothing about it, only then were they through in that particular topic. Roman let out his stress in an aggressive manner, spending it at the Quidditch pitch and smashing bludgers, with Reginald, Bilius and many of the other O.W.L or N.E.W.T taking Quidditch players.

Artemis, on the other hand, took to painting or sketching every time she allowed herself a break, and so, Tom was also struck in the Ravenclaw Tower for hours on end, one of the drawbacks of being the blonde-haired blue-eyed beauty's artistic inspiration.

It was admittedly helpful for them both as the two first-in-their-years quizzed each other on topics and worked out problems and assignments together, having taken the same electives although they weren't in the same class considering nearly everybody in the year had taken either Ancient Runes and Arithmancy or both, mainly at the insistence of their parents.

And so, Tom and Artemis sat in one of the many royal blue sofas in the beautiful Ravenclaw Common Room, textbooks and marked homework sheets surrounding them with the occasional litter of quills, charcoal and ink-pots, a mug of coffee, pieces of chocolates and wrappings seen on the small tea-table in front of the sofa.

Tom was holding his transfigurations textbook, reading it aloud so Artemis could study as well while she drew him with charcoal at the back of one of her already corrected homework assignments. At random intervals -just to check if she was listening- Tom would ask her questions.

"What is the difference between conjuration and elemental transfiguration?" He asked, prompting Artemis to let out a thoughtful hum before she replied.

"Well, transfiguration is changing matter from one state to another while elemental transfiguration is changing one of the four elements -water, air, earth and fire- into an actual object or thing. Conjuration is just a fancy name for air elemental transfiguration. After all, Gamps laws make it clear that we can't just summon things into existence; so during conjuration, we basically transfigure the air around us into something else, don't we?"

Tom nodded his head. "Yes. However, while your answer is correct, it is not the explanation given in the textbook."

"So?" Artemis retorted, a small smile adorning her face as she finished sketching Tom's face perfectly, leaving two holes for eyes because even with Tom right in front of her, she sadly still couldn't draw his eyes as perfectly as she wanted it to be. She finally lifted her head, meeting Tom's eyes. "The textbook is just a guideline to understand the topics. Since I've understood it, I can write it in any way I want as long as I have the key points and I do."

"But the textbook explanation sounded neater." He said pointedly.

Artemis rolled her eyes, ready to answer when somebody else did before she could.

"An explanation does not have to be neater as long as the person who is being explained to understands the topic."

Tom whirled his head around to see who spoke while Artemis beamed at the support. "Lady Ravenclaw!"

The portrait of Rowena Ravenclaw that had been hung near them smiled at Artemis before narrowing her painted eyes at Tom. "As I was saying, everybody is unique and has a different method of learning; and learning isn't just restricted to books. Some are visual learners, others audial. Some have a brilliant memory while others have virtually none. Some can recite facts straight from a textbook while others can explain it wonderfully. Do not bring Artemis down for being the latter or not even being dead will restrict me from cursing you with unspeakable horrors, am I clear?" She said sharply, making Tom nod mutely before clearing his throat.

"Of course, Lady Ravenclaw. I was just saying-"

"-I don't care what you are saying," Lady Ravenclaw interrupted, glaring at him. "You're a Slytherin, aren't you, boy? You'll slither yourself out of situations for sure just like Salazar, so I don't want to hear your explanation. But I do want you to remember that every one of my little eagles is different and unique, as they should be. Do not dare criticise any of them in their academics or other activities or make them question their place in my house even the teensiest bit if you value your life, okay?"

"Okay," Tom echoed immediately. The portrait of Lady Ravenclaw gave him a barely visible nod, her unwavering eyes still fixed on him with a doubt-filled, disgusted look before a bunch of seventh-years quickly ran towards the portrait, begging her to explain a few concepts in Ancient Runes to them, which she did with an encouraging smile, thankfully ignoring his existence.

"My founder's pretty amazing, isn't she?" Artemis grinningly asked Tom who snorted.

"That's not exactly the word I would use to describe her." He stated dryly, prompting Artemis to shoot him a glare.

"Don't judge her, okay? You have no idea how many times Ravenclaws have said that they think they were sorted into the wrong house or that don't belong here, even though they do. You have no idea how many times other students have taunted some of us for not being very academically inclined and said that the sorting hat made a mistake even though it didn't." Artemis vented hotly. "You have no idea what it is like to be an eagle when everybody else thinks that we are all supposed to be smart. The thing is, we are, in our own different ways and like Lady Ravenclaw, I too am tired of the definition of words such as 'smart' and 'intelligence' being restricted to numbers on a fucking paper! So do not judge her, Tom, for being defensive because Merlin knows she has heard all the awful remarks directed at us and just wants to keep us safe. I mean it."

Tom raised his hands in the universal surrender motion. "I won't, really," he promised, before pausing. "Although, it is interesting that the portrait of your founder takes an active interest in you all considering the portrait of Salazar Slytherin just glares at us, after all." He mused aloud, effectively changing the topic and bringing curiosity to knit Artemis' pretty face.

"Well, we've actually had that as a debate topic a few years ago, especially since the portrait of Godric Gryffindor only grins and Helga Hufflepuff only smiles, neither of them speaking. We wondered if it was just Lady Ravenclaw who had the ability to speak, then we realised what their speaking nature depended on."

"And?" Tom prompted curiously. "What is it?"

Artemis smiled, happy to oblige in his request. "See, Lady Ravenclaw told us that when the founders got their portraits painted, for some odd reason, they listed conditions during which they would speak to the students. Godric said he would speak to those who could wield his sword, Salazar would only speak to descendants of his who knew the tongue of the snakes, Helga would chat with anybody who wanted to talk to her while Lady Ravenclaw said she wanted to speak when anybody criticised one of her students or to explain doubts and answer questions." She stated, making Tom freeze for a second before he played it off as a casual hum.

Salazar would only speak to the descendants of his who knew the tongue of the snakes, Artemis had just said. That meant that there was a very easy way for Tom to find the location of the legendary Chamber of Secrets. All he had to do was speak in parseltongue to his many times great -in terms of both, the family tree and the quality of absolute brilliance- grandfather.

He filed that thought under the mental To-Do list in his head before clearing his throat, eyes moving across the words in his textbook as he read it aloud, resuming the practice he had been doing with Artemis as she took another parchment and flipped it to the back, grabbing the charcoal and starting to draw an eye-less portrait of him once again.

———> 0o0 <———

Artemis and Tom were walking to their potion's classroom when a cat ran up to them. Artemis instantly picked up the cat, holding it to her chest with one hand and petting it with the other, a soft expression on her face. "Why, aren't you the prettiest, cutest, most adorable kitty in the whole wide world!" she gushed making the cat let out a satisfied purr.

Tom frowned. "Aren't you allergic to cats?" He questioned.

Artemis petted the cat slower, not meeting his eyes. "Maybe," she replied, prompting Tom to roll his eyes, snatching the cat from her arms and ignoring her protests as he set it down on the floor, intertwining his hand with his or's as they headed to the potion's classroom.

He sneaked a glance at her scowling face as they walked. "Your nose is pretty red," he observed. "Are you going to sneeze? If you do, then do it in the other direction."

Artemis shot him a glare. "Just for that, if I do sneeze, I'll make sure to do it on- AKWHEAUA!" Her head ducked down, hands moving to cover her mouth and the golden blonde curls that had been tied into a ponytail flying high up in the air before falling down.

Tom's eyes were wide. "What in Morgana's name was that noise you let out?!"

Artemis cocked her head slightly, so he had a clear view of the annoyed expression visible on her face. "I sneezed, okay?"

"That was not a sneeze."

"Oh, just shut up!" Artemis said, moving past him, the red on the tip of her nose slowly fading. "Next time you have allergies, I'll be sure to extend the same treatment you just executed."

Tom walked quicker until he matched her pace. "Jokes on you, I don't have allergies."

"That you know of," Artemis added pointedly. "And if allergies don't work, there's always poison."

"If you're going to poison me at least be discreet about it."

"Oh sweetheart," Artemis said empathically. "I'll poison you in such a way that you won't even realise what you just drank until you're choking on fire and being suffocated by air. I'll poison you in such a way that you'll question which is worse- drowning beneath the waves or dying from the thirst. I'll poison you in such a way that everybody else thinks you died peacefully in your sleep."

Tom smiled. "Well, that's an absolutely delightful image!" He exclaimed, making a proud smirk adorn Artemis' face.

"Thank you."

"You are very welcome."

------> 0o0 <------

Since the two of them had arrived early to potion's class, they were burdened with the weighty task of passing time until Professor Slughorn arrived. Artemis, as always, took out some parchment from her never-ending sling bag and a piece of charcoal and took to sketching the room.

Usually, Tom would have taken out a book to read. However, in a move that surprised even himself, he decided to try something new.

Picking up his peacock quill and dipping it in some blue ink, he began to draw on a parchment. The inspiration for his doodle came from Artemis herself, particularly, a phrase that she had used to describe him when they did the date-thing at Hogsmeade.

A butterfly in a trash bag.

Butterfly, because of his striking looks and a trash bag, apparently, for his personality. Oh, how he adored it when Artemis spoke romantically to him. Or at least attempted to.

He sketched the butterfly, taking care to make sure the wings were even and alike before detailing intricate patterns on it. He also drew the trash bag, outlined the holes for a person to carry it and the slight crumbled look it carried. He added the curled antennae of the butterfly and even made two filled circles to portray its eyes.

Finished, he looked at it with pride.

Although he had never really drawn something before, his picture had come out wonderfully. So much so that he could even give his or a run for her money.

Tapping on Artemis' shoulder, she turned to look at him questioningly when he held up the parchment, waiting smugly for the sure expression of awe to descend on her pretty face.

....Only for her to begin laughing.

"Oh, Merlin where did you find that! Did Walburga darling slip it in your textbook and expect you to be awed? I've scribbled things on the walls when I was a child that is better than this pathetic shit!" Artemis roared with laughter.

Tom's jaw clenched. "It is not pathetic."

"You're absolutely right, my muse! It's worse than pathetic! A new word should be invented solely to describe what an absolute disaster this picture is!"

"It's not that bad." he defended, which only brought Artemis to laugh harder as tears streamed down her cheeks.

"Tom, I know you're kind, but that's honestly the funniest drawing I've ever seen! That picture is a complete and utter-"

"-I drew it-"

"-masterpiece," Artemis was instantly sobered at his confession, a serious look on her face as she continued to speak without missing a beat. She squinted her eyes at the picture on the parchment, her face deep in thought before she leaned back and clapped. "Look at the details! The exquisite outlines! It's more gorgeous than any Bulgarian Quidditch player! I love the shading and the colouring is also lovely! Excellent penmanship! Absolutely sublime!"

"There is no shading or colouring in my drawing."

Artemis smiled good-naturedly. "I meant in a metaphorical way."

"Even in a metaphorical way, there is no shading or colouring."

Artemis laughed awkwardly before she brought her index finger to Tom's nose and touched the tip of it. "Boop," she said with a smile.

Tom raised an eyebrow, the corners of his lips curving upwards without his consent at her action. "What was that supposed to do?"

"Distract you," Artemis replied simply, repeating her action. "Boop." She paused. "Is it working?"

"Unfortunately, yes," Tom said, making Artemis giggle, pressing her index finger on the tip of his nose once more.

"Boop."

Tom laughed, prompting Artemis to laugh and for a while, that's all they did, not noticing the looks directed at them by their classmates or the way Professor Slughorn -who had entered the class just in time for the first boop- was red in the face from attempting to swallow the squeal that was threatening to escape.

"What was it supposed to be anyway?" Artemis asked after their laughter had reduced into smiles, gesturing to the picture that Tom held.

Tom studied the picture, now seeing it without a rose-coloured lens and realised that there was just the slightest chance that his or was correct when she declared it to be worse than pathetic shit. Not that he was ever going to tell her that.

Instead, he directed a raised eyebrow at her. "Can't you tell since you called it a masterpiece?"

"Art can be interpreted in several different ways," Artemis said defensively. "And I want to hear the interpretation of the artist."

"It's supposed to be a butterfly in a trash bag," Tom murmured.

For a second, Artemis was confused. But then she remembered the offhanded comment she had made when they initially did the date-thing and her heart melted into a pool of romantic puddle, touched by his gesture.

"It's beautiful." She stated and this time, she wasn't lying.

Artemis took the picture gently from him and carefully placed it in between one of the pages of one of the many sketchbooks she always carried with her before meeting his eyes. "Really. It's gorgeous. I love it." She said in such a sincere voice that Tom's cheeks pinked.

And for the sake of not ruining a precious moment, Artemis didn't voice the discussion they had had before Yule break when he had claimed that he couldn't blush.

Tom cleared his throat. "Thank you."

Artemis smiled. "No, thank you." She stated, leaning in and softly kissing him on the lips as his hands -naturally, instinctively- were lifted to cup her face, twirling one of her golden locks with his fingers.

Unfortunately, hardly a second later, a loud squeal bordering on a shout of euphoria rang through the room, prompting Tom to bang his forehead on Artemis' and send her sprawling to the ground.

The couple snapped their heads to the general direction from where they had heard the out-of-blue shout, only to spot Professor Slughorn looking between where Tom was rubbing his forehead and Artemis had fallen to the ground lovingly.

"Oh, you two have finally gotten together! Took you long enough!" he clapped his hands together cheerfully as Tom helped Artemis to get back on her seat, both students sending their potion's professor a quizzing look accompanied with a glare.

"I only wish you'd gotten together sooner," Professor Slughorn continued absentmindedly, a wide smile stretching his face. "I placed ten gallons for the two of you to get together before Yule break, you see. I guess Professor Dumbledore won the bet."

"Professor, you bet on us?" Artemis couldn't help but ask with wide eyes.

Professor Slughorn looked almost offended by her question. "Of course, everybody did! After all, I'm the one who brought you two together, didn't I? Might as well make a profit out of it!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.5K 1.4K 31
cover made by: @marvelgirl_10 _________ [TOM RIDDLE x OC] BOOK ONE OF THE SEASON OF THE HARVEST SERIES enemies to lovers | slow-burn | dark themes |...
155K 5.1K 19
No one is completely good and no one is only bad. Every dark person chose that way. It could have been because of bad upbringing, hunger for power or...
80.5K 2.2K 74
Rose Davies was no ordinary teenager, even though she felt like she was invisible. As Rose entered her fifth year of Hogwarts, she drew the attracti...
463K 13.4K 61
◦•●◉✿ A Tom Riddle Fanfiction ✿◉●•◦ ( characters, places and some scenes belonged to J.K Rowling ❤️) "Because I loved him too much, a bit too much...