Ever Shade (A Dark Faerie Tal...

By AlexiaPurdy

A dark twist on Faeries. For Shade, a chance meeting with a powerful Teleen faery warrior who wields electri... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twelve

3.2K 184 24
By AlexiaPurdy

The murmur of voices amplified in the growing light of the morning. Shade moaned and wished she'd thought of bringing earplugs. Rolling over, she stuffed her pillow over her head, hoping to muffle the noise. It can't be morning already! It felt like she'd just laid her head on her pillow and closed her eyes. Hiking was definitely not on her cool list right now. Her muscles ached and burned.

"Shade, get up. We have to pack and get going. I brought you breakfast. You're going to need it." She felt her pillow fly off her face. Dylan stood crouched at the entrance of her tent, his lips tight with disapproval. He looked wide-awake, making her wonder how long he'd been up. Was it possible he didn't need to sleep? He motioned to a plate of food and drink lying by her. In an instant, he was gone.

Shade blinked and rubbed her eyes. Stuffing the pillow under her neck, groaning and wanting more sleep, disappointment ran through her mind. Sleep was a pleasure of the past now, something she couldn't quite remember having enough of. She glanced at the food he brought; bacon and fresh scrambled eggs with a bread roll were still steaming. It looked amazing and smelled even better.

This coaxed her out of her warm bed as she pulled the food and drink toward her. Inhaling the savory aromas, she was amazed at how hungry she was. Slurping down the sweet, warm tea that Dylan provided made her instantly feel more alert. She wondered what was in that drink; it was always so revitalizing. She'd have to ask someone. Besides, it was curious how they managed to have bacon and eggs so fresh out here in the wild. Munching on the rich, thick slices of bacon, she enjoyed every bit.

Well, this is my one pleasure out here in this hellhole. Shade sighed, frowning at her empty plate. The food was gone much too fast. Good things just do not last around here. She stretched and fumbled through her bag, pulling her brush, washcloth and towel out, and hoped there was somewhere to wash up. She yanked on her shoes then wrapped the blanket around her like a cape.

Stepping out into the cold morning air was like being electrocuted. It stung her cheeks and sent a thrill down her body. Yay, winter weather. She wondered how it seemed to be a different season every place they went in the faery lands. It didn't seem possible it was spring back home.

Walking up toward the central fire, she looked around. She wanted to find and ask Braelynn or Sary where she could wash up, but Soap popped up in front of her instead. He grinned at her, showing off his pearly white teeth. "Where do you think you're sneaking off to, young lady?"

Shade froze in her tracks, her face flushing and feeling guilty without reason to. Tilting her head, she gazed back upon his still smiling but suspicious face.

"I'm not sneaking off anywhere. I just want to get cleaned up. You wouldn't happen to know where I could, um, go to uh, freshen up?" Her face flushed up scarlet once more under the cold air. Soap wasn't the one she'd wanted to ask.

"It's down that side of the hill a bit. It's a large red tent. Girls on the right, boys to the left." He winked, spun and trotted back to the camp. Shade gaped at him as he walked—no...skipped—away cheerfully. She shook her head. She couldn't get over how strange he was. They hadn't spoken much since they arrived at the Teleen caverns, making her wonder if he was just cautious with her since it was a Teleen who attacked her. It was something she'd have to talk to him about later.

She turned back in the direction he had pointed her to, gripping her supplies. Approaching the bathroom tent made her stop in confusion. It didn't look like anything special; the flaps were wind-worn and faded. She wondered how it was even big enough to hold two dressing rooms, let alone anything close to a washroom. She shrugged, too tired to contemplate it for long, and willed herself to get moving.

Inside, she was shocked at how warm and humid it was. The scent of flowers blooming in the springtime permeated the air, and the tent was definitely much bigger than it appeared on the outside. It even had a foyer with a table and hanging mirror. To the right of the wooden table hung a red curtain, and beside it a blue curtain. She supposed the colors were to separate the women and men.

Heading through the red drapery, assuming it was for women, she followed the hallway as it turned toward the left. In the end, it turned again to the right and opened onto a large room filled with mirrors on one side. On the other side were stalls with toilets and two showers next to them.

This reminds me of camp, only better. Shade was impressed but not curious enough to wonder for long how it was all possible. She was just grateful it was there. She laid her stuff on one of the chairs and pulled it near one of the shower stalls. She was definitely surprised to find actual flushing toilets in the stalls. Honestly, I can't believe the faeries have all this. She just shook her head in disbelief and undressed, stepping into a shower stall. Soap, shampoo, and conditioner were provided, and she was thankful the water was hot. The steaming spray felt exhilarating on her skin and eased her aches. All too soon, she stepped out of the stall, dried her body and hair, and pulled on her fresh clothes. Running the brush through her tangled hair, she gritted her teeth then pulled it back into a tight ponytail.

Her reflection stared back at her from the mirror. For the first time since the attack, she saw her face. It made her suck in her breath. Her face was covered with small, healing pink lines, like spider webs, all across her right cheek. She looked down at her arms where she saw more of the same thin scars. They're all over me.... Tracing them with her fingers, she found them smooth and a soft pink, nearly invisible to anyone who wasn't actually looking.

She studied the mirror for a bit longer to make sure it didn't ripple or look magical in any way. A shudder ran through her as she did her best not to be reminded of Darren. Turning away when she was satisfied it was just an ordinary mirror, she gathered her things and grabbed the blanket Dylan gave to her the night before. She wrapped it around herself, realizing she was in dire need of a coat. The weather here is so annoying. She didn't want to think about the scars, at least not yet. In a way, the blanket served as armor, covering them up and hiding her skin away. For that, she was grateful. Bundling up her old clothes in the towel, she turned to leave and ran right into Sylphi. Shade gasped, stumbling back with her eyes wide, regaining her balance.

"I'm so sorry, Shade. Did I frighten you?" Sylphi sneered slightly, studying Shade with inky black eyes. Her dark hair was down and a bit tousled like she had just rolled out of bed. However, it still managed to have some shine. She also held a bundle of clothes and a towel in her arms, pressed against her chest.

Shade gave a small, nervous laugh. "Oh... hello, Sylphi. No, well, maybe just a little. How long were you standing there?" She tried to swallow her anxiety and stood a bit straighter. Nothing about Sylphi made her feel warm and fuzzy. The girl radiated iciness like an open window in the late winter.

"Not for too long, really. I was just going to freshen up." She smiled her sickly, sweet smile, batting her eyelashes innocently. Her eyes were so dark, it was like staring into a pair of black holes. She continued to stare at Shade with her intensely black eyes and didn't make a move to get out of the way.

A chill ran through Shade, but she pressed her lips tight, attempting to smile back at the faery. The sight of her was unnerving to say the least. "Well, ok, I was just leaving. See you later." She had to side step a bit to get around Sylphi, who was still not budging from her spot.

"Why don't you just go home, Shade? No one really wants you here."

Shade hung in mid-step as she listened to Sylphi's icy voice. The woman was still not moving but slyly snickering. "You're too weak for this quest. Why don't you give up before you fail miserably? No one wants to be out here in this forsaken wilderness with you anyway. Do us a favor and quit already, half-breed," Sylphi hissed through her teeth, a menacing twinkle lingering in her gaze.

Well, heard that one before...

Shade glared at her in disgust. Shaking her head, Shade sneered right back. "I'm not a quitter, Sylphi. I need to do this, and nothing you say will change my mind. I don't believe you have to be here, though. You came by choice, remember? So did I... Maybe you should go home." She dodged Sylphi and stepped hurriedly through the doorway, ignoring Sylphi's snide laughter.

I wonder what the hell her problem is.

The cold air slapped her hard once she left the facilities tent, and her hair felt instantly frozen. She didn't stop, though; she hurried as fast as she could to her own tent, or what should've been her tent. All she found was Dylan sitting on the ground, patiently waiting next to her pack.

"What the...? Where's my stuff? What'd you do with my things?" Shade felt her anger tipping the scales and tried to grab a handle on it before hollering at him. She breathed in slowly and deeply, averting her glare away from him. It wasn't his fault that Sylphi had such a strange effect on her. She felt discombobulated. Her breath steamed like clouds floating out her nose and mouth.

He rolled his eyes almost as impatiently as she jumped on him.

"Well, Dylan?"

"Ok, calm down. I so graciously put away your things for you, since you were taking so long in the bath. We're leaving in just a few minutes, by the way." He stood up and held out her pack, dangling it from his fingers.

She snatched it from him with her free hand, biting her lip as he walked off to the main camp without another word. She sighed, realizing she hadn't even bothered to thank him. Why did it seem they clashed over everything? If they were going to be forced to spend so much time together, this would definitely have to stop. Kneeling down, she opened her pack and pulled out a sack for her dirty clothes. She stuffed them in and shoved it back into the pack.

This will just have to do until we reach the river. The clothes had a slight odor, and they needed a wash badly. Shade marched down the path to the main camp, joining the rest of the group. Ewan was already waving his arm around to capture everyone's attention as she chose a large boulder to sit on and rubbed her sleepy eyes. It's already been a long day, and it's only the butt crack of dawn.

"Alright, is everybody present? Soap, Jack, Braelynn..." The brawny man glanced about, squinting his eyes at the group. "Where's Sylphi?" Heads whirled around and searched the group.

"I just saw her in the bath tent. She's probably still there," Shade muttered.

"I'm right here." Sylphi stepped out from behind a tree and smiled at the group. Her hair was dried and slicked back into an even tighter ponytail than Shade's. She looked radiant in the morning sun, all dressed in white furs with her pack strapped to her back. She waved at Shade, a sly smirk on her face. Shade frowned back, but not as confidently. She wondered how Sylphi had bathed, dried, clothed herself, packed and made it to the group so fast. It's probably a fey thing.

"Alright, that should be everyone. We are heading to the great rivers. We will be getting wet, by the way. Shade, see Braelynn for water repellant charms so your stuff doesn't get soaked," he added as a side note, and then continued on. "We will be camping in the middle of the river lands. It's made up of seven rivers that wind, turn, and meet together at the Pacific Ocean. The rivers are pure Faerie territory, close to human towns. There is to be no wandering across the borders because the iron cities are too close to us along the coast.

He held up a large piece of parchment with a drawing of the rivers. They were vivid blue lines that twisted and curved around the vast green areas on the map. He pointed out the boundaries and again warned of the dangers of wandering too near a human city. Shade stared at the map, utterly confused. It looked so unfamiliar. If her sense of direction was right, they had to be near the coasts of California and Oregon. She didn't recall seeing such a tangle of large rivers there before. This revelation had her waving down Ewan.

"Those rivers are not on ordinary maps. You said it is purely faery territory? Does that mean that the river lands are hidden from humans?"

Ewan nodded, smiling at her curiosity. "Why yes, Shade. Aren't you just sharp as a knife this morning? Yep, human maps look quite different from faery maps, but we have the real world maps. Mortals' maps are only splices of the actual world. They don't know it, but there are vast areas of fey lands that are protected by enchantments and wards. So in essence, the area looks a lot smaller to them than it is." Ewan continued on, letting his finger trace along the borders on the paper. He then quickly rolled up the scroll map, ordering everyone to prepare to leave.

The desert wasteland twisted and blended into the lush forest of emerald green leaves and bushes. The land was riper and more fertile here, almost an artificially vibrant green. No matter which trail they took, Shade could hear rushing water in the distance. It surrounded them like endless background noise. The river lands were strange; there were islands between some rivers where they intersected and weaved together like a tangle of noodles. Then there would be long stretches of land that didn't run into a river at all. Some of the islands sported bridges, while others had none, forcing the group to wade through each river carefully. Even with the waterproof charm, which Braelynn and Sary placed on everyone and their items, Shade couldn't help but feel the cold embrace of the water stealing the warmth from her body. It flowed around her thighs, and the icy cold still seeped through her clothes.

She was left stiff from the frigid waters. With the charms, she did not feel wet but felt quite dry, even though her teeth chattered and her body shook from the chill. It was a relief to emerge from the cold, wet trek through a river. Once out of the water, the sun warmed her immediately. Her stiff, frozen clothes stuck to her, remnants of a watery grave.

After about four of these submersions, she was ready to smack Ewan. Did they really have to walk through all that cold, muddy, and swirling water so much? Her love of the outdoors, what little she did have, was washing away with each turbulent wave of river water.

Once they stopped to rest, eat and do their best to warm up, Shade pulled the warm blanket Dylan had given her from her pack and wrapped it tightly around her body. Turning her head up to the sun, she soaked up its comforting rays. It felt incredible, like hot cocoa warming her core after playing in the snow and getting frostbite on her toes and fingers. She closed her eyes, not wanting to move. She felt frozen down to her inner marrow, and her lips were chapped and surely a sickly shade of blue after spending most of the day in the water.

"Hey, drink some hot tea. It will warm your soul." Dylan handed her a steaming cup, his own secured in his other hand.

"Thanks, Dylan." Shade happily accepted it, wrapping her fingers around the warmth of the drink, soothing her stiff joints. She drank it down in a gulp. The hot fluid felt great against her throat, warming her from the inside out. Still huddled in the blanket, she was afraid to break her cozy cocoon if she dared to move.

"Tired of the rapids, huh? They get old really fast, don't they?" Dylan asked, attempting to sound friendly. "I don't miss crossing them at all. You would think some idiot would've put a bridge or something on every river here by now, but faeries are lazy, you know. They'd rather fly right over these banks any day. Of course, we aren't all able to fly, let alone carry anyone else with us," he said with a sigh. "So we have to do it the tried and true way, on foot. I think it's because us faeries don't like to disturb nature too much, so progress is limited." He chuckled, shaking his head as he took another large sip of tea.

He was sitting next to her now, their sides slightly touching, and she could feel his body heat closing the gap between them. Shade turned to watch him more carefully. His unusual, steel-colored eyes glinted in the bright sunlight. The deeper they ventured into the wilderness, the more relaxed he appeared. His face had grown softer and younger in the light of the afternoon. She wondered if nature gave off some kind of natural Xanax to the fey. Everyone seemed more at ease, maybe just a touch tired, but no one was complaining. She guessed that it was better than having a group of grumpy, pissed-off faeries. Who knew what they were all capable of doing if pushed too far?

Dylan's hair was still short, but growing faster than a human's hair would. It was dark and shiny, with silver highlights peppered throughout. He shaved that morning, and his skin still shone smooth, with no lines to betray his age. She wondered how old he was, remembering Ilarial mentioned how they were immortal. Besides Soap, no one had volunteered to say how old he or she really was.

"Dylan? Can I ask you something?" He turned toward her, eyes wide with surprise. She should probably speak to him softly more often because it was nice to see him shocked.

"Yes, of course. Go for it." He placed his cup on the dirt in front of him and sat Indian-style, his arms relaxed on his thighs.

"How old are you? How long do faeries live?" She pulled her knees up and wrapped her arms around her legs, clinging to the blanket and keeping it shut.

"I'm two hundred and forty-six years old. My brother Darren is only one-hundred and fifteen. We're immortal, but only to a certain extent. The fey are somewhat delicate in a way, more so than humans. We can wither away if we choose. Your world is fragile too when it comes to this matter. It's almost like a curse. We are tied to mortals in more ways than one." Dylan paused. He glanced at Shade but quickly turned back to stare down at his cup as he continued.

"When we wither, we choose to leave this world. Our mother was five-hundred and three when she decided she no longer had it in her to carry on, allowing herself to wither into dust. It only took two days. Just two days and slowly, what was a strong, bold, and amazing woman turned into dust and ash," he said with a hint of emotion leaking through his cracking voice. "Life is not easy for the fey. The exiles wither faster because of the toxicity of living in or near the iron cities. Smaller faeries go faster, too. We have stronger clans, like the Guildrin Clan, and our enemies, the Unseelie, are sometimes much stronger than our group of Teleen. Faeries our size are the closest to humans in appearance. My people, the Teleen, are more fragile, dying off as time goes on, very slowly, of course. There are not many Teleen born each year, so our numbers have dwindled as some of us die. If the world was stronger, and the magic in Faerie was not so faded, we could be true immortals and live forever."

"Why is your clan dying? I would think you would be the strongest since humans have a lot of iron in their blood. It would be hard for any fey to live near us or among us, but you guys are fine with it."

Dylan was staring back at her now. His eyes narrowed, amused as he thought about what she was asking and saying. He licked his lips and looked back over the river. The constant roar seemed to fill the silence between them like an unwanted third wheel. Shade waited impatiently for his answers. She stared at the river while she waited for him talk to her. At least I beat the rivers, she thought, knowing she'd bested the icy waters today and had nothing to prove.

"Well, it has a lot to do with there not being many mated pairs in our clan. Teleen females are rarely born to our clan now, and those who are, get paired off quickly and stay together for life. If you're not paired with one, as a male, you are out of luck. That is unless a free Teleen faery woman shows up out of nowhere," he said quietly as if he didn't think that was possible.

"What else is bothering you, Shade?" Dylan's deep voice was more like a harsh whisper. He was even leaning a little toward her to muffle his voice so no one else could hear.

"I don't know. It's just that, compared to all of you guys, I'm so weak. Even though you say you have vulnerabilities, you are still more powerful than me. I don't know how to do magic or any kind of fighting. Without you guys here, I would be useless... helpless." Shade took a deep breath before continuing. "It's all so intriguing, but it scares me so much. There are so many things I don't know. I'm as good as dead out here against other fey.

"Ilarial told me to learn, but how do I learn? I don't know a thing about fighting or handling a sword or knife." She sighed, closing her eyes as she cradled her head on her knees, tears prickling behind her eyelids. She thought back to about what he'd said about not being paired with a female Teleen. She wondered if he was paired or not, and if he was, where was his mate?

Dylan watched her thoughtfully. He nodded as though agreeing with her. His eyes seemed to glaze over for a moment as he was in deep thought.

Shade wondered what it could be that he was thinking.

"I must train you, then. You're right. You are weak without any kind of protection. If you were to be separated from us... well, I don't want to think about it. You have a sword, right?" She nodded, thinking about the beautiful sword in her pack Ilarial had given her. "Great. Then we train today." He stood, offering her a hand. "Grab your sword. I'll teach you a move or two."

Surprised, she took his hand, standing up and fumbling through her pack for the sword. Finding it, she waited, holding it slack in her hand.

"Alright, you need to stand ready. The easiest thing to do is to stand with your feet apart, knees bent. You can put one foot forward a bit. That's right. You need to keep your body balanced so you can move any which way during an attack." He moved to stand next to her, his body facing her side. Reaching out, he adjusted her arms to put both hands on the hilt of the sword, bringing her elbows to a bend. He tugged and pushed at her limbs, making her almost fall over as he adjusted her legs. Standing behind her, he placed his hands on her hips and back, pushing again to make her straighten up her poor posture while still bending her knees. Her thighs screamed in protest.

"You need to relax. I'm not going to bite." He snickered. Shade frowned but tried to do as he told her. "There. See? Flexed, ready to pounce."

Shade nodded, feeling nervous at his proximity but excited at learning something about using a sword.

"Now, I want you to do this exercise: step forward, then back, then side to side, holding the sword opposite the direction you head. It's like a dance; counterbalancing each other, like partners." His voice was just above a whisper near her face. It sent a thrill down her spine.

"Wh-what?"

Dylan groaned, motioning to her to give up the sword. She did and watched him as he showed her what he meant. His movements were fluid and well-practiced. She gulped, hoping she could look more like he did and less like a clumsy ogre.

"See? A dance. Practice it." He handed the sword back and stepped back to give her some room.

"That's it?" she stammered.

"That's it."

Shade felt slightly disappointed but didn't push him any further. Learning that 'dance' would be plenty for now. "Okay, I can do this. Oh, Dylan?"

"Yes?"

"Were you paired off at birth?" She risked a peek at his face as she attempted her first move to the left.

"No, I was never paired at birth, but our Oracle, who's about eight-hundred years old, did tell me a prophecy about it." He sighed and stared out across the river.

"What'd she say?"

"She said that I'd meet my mate one day, one who'd never resided among us and that my life would change forever. It'd be filled with great and challenging events, some unfortunate and some amazing."

"Really? So, did you meet her yet?" Shade watched his face, calm and handsome. She found him intriguing in a way she could not explain. And to think, just hours ago, he was getting on her last nerve.

Dylan turned toward her and studied her face, his flashing eyes amused at her questions. Giving her a smile, he reached out, pushing a strand of hair out of her face. Shade felt her heart jump, sending her skin flaring up at his touch. "I don't really know. Maybe." He continued to watch her, a sad smile playing across his lips. "Once camp is set up tonight, we will work on more sword fighting. Be ready!" He grabbed his cup from the ground while dusting off his pants. He walked away then without another word, leaving her stunned.

"Wh-what? More tonight? Dylan?" She stuttered and couldn't spit out the rest of her words. He was gone and nowhere near her now. Shaking her head, she laughed to herself.

He's so strange and drives me insane! Maybe that's a good thing.

***

Shade stretched her legs out before her, massaging her calves and working out some of the knots deep under her skin. They stopped for a rest again after another horrible river crossing. She wondered if the fey ever even got sore. Probably not. She kept wondering what Dylan was thinking, too. Some of the things he did and said confused her. It made her frown at the thought of how nervous he made her feel.

Standing up, she took her teacup back to Stephen, who seemed to like being the group's cook and occasional dishwasher. He gave her a short nod, smiling as he continued to wash the soiled dishes. He wasn't actually physically cleaning them, he was just moving his hands over them, making them rinse themselves in the river.

I need to learn that! That'd be useful back home! Shade thought, turning back toward the group where Jack was talking seriously to Ewan. Maps sat spread out before them on a table. Who brought the furniture? Shade thought as she walked toward them. She still couldn't get over the bath tent and the constant use of magic here. When she reached the two men, they were pointing at several spots on the map, plotting their journey.

"I think going over Fable's Fair Bridge would be a better option. It goes closer to the cliffs of Raenin. We need to go past the cliffs and end up on Solare's Beach. There's a cave road there we can take to the inland forests, around the Santiran lands. If we go down to Maziel's Pass, it will take us longer to make it to the beach, and it goes too close to Unseelie territory." Jack's hand was darting around the map at several points on the unfamiliar land.

Shade studied it while the men stood there thinking. She could see the cities of Portland and San Diego along one side of the great fey territory. There were areas marked off that showed the highways and smaller human towns. The vast wilderness that belonged to the fey was unbelievable. She traced the river lands with her fingers and found Solare's Beach on the map. Shaped like a crescent moon, it was not very big at all. It had a small river that emptied into the ocean along one side. Next was Craven's Cave Road, which wound around the cliffs of the beach and disappeared into a cave. Shade shuddered at the thought of going into another cave again.

"How do we make it across the cliffs?" Shade asked Ewan and Jack. They turned toward her and smiled.

"You have to walk down the west side of the cliffs or take a long rope bridge across this great river." Ewan pointed at a line crossing across the largest of the rivers that bisected the cliffs.

Shade cringed because crossing a bridge held together by rope was not much of a comfort either. Caves and unstable bridges... it's my lucky day. Her throat ached from nerves, and it felt as if there were a knot in it. "Really? Ah man, do we have to go on a rope bridge?" She glanced at Jack and Ewan. "And another cave?"

"You afraid of heights, Shade?" They said at once and laughed at the disgust all over her face.

"No! Of course not! It's just, they're so flimsy! It rocks a lot, and it just isn't safe!" She crossed her arms and huffed away. Jack started coughing, trying to hold back his laughter while Ewan slapped him on his back.

When they stopped snickering, Ewan cleared his throat, his face flushed and his eyes twinkling brightly. He motioned for everyone to gather their stuff and fall back into line to leave.

Shade fell in with the group, still grumbling under her breath. She followed everyone out along the bank of the rushing river. She began to wonder just how long it was going to take to get to the Santiran Fountains. It felt like they were gone forever. Her patience was wearing thin, especially with nature. Seeing the map made her feel even more sullen. The territory they were crossing was enormous and so vast that it seemed like they hadn't really gone that far. So much happened already, and they weren't even close yet.

"Hey, having fun yet?" Soap asked as he hung back from the others and fell in step with her. She gave him a nasty look and didn't like the fact that someone else from the group was making fun of her.

"Ok, ok, no need to be harsh," he said, losing his usual grin. "I was just wondering something, Shade, and I hope you would answer this for me."

She sighed and turned back toward Soap. His contagious good mood was already flowing over her and taming her gloomy demeanor. She grinned back, nodding. "What is it?" She slipped on a damp, mossy rock in the slick grasses. Soap caught her arm and cradled her with his other one. Her face was so close to his, he could have kissed her. She laughed a bit and thanked him for catching her, straightening herself up before he answered.

"The voices, the ones you said are your spirit guides, are they still bothering you? What do they say about us?"

Shade took a deep breath and thought about it for a moment. She hadn't really heard from her spirit guides since they'd left the caverns. As a matter of fact, she hadn't heard the voices at all since waking up from the attack. It was actually somewhat nice to hear just her own thoughts in her head. She stretched out her mind to find them, but no one answered her inner thoughts. Panic suddenly swirled inside her as she felt a kind of emptiness without them.

Why have they been silent? Maybe they're gone for good now.

"Honestly, I haven't heard them talk since Darren attacked me. It's funny, my whole life I wished they would just shut up, and now–now I miss them."

"Well, it's probably just the rivers. They're quite magical, you know. They say that the rivers are the roads of dreams. Once you stand by one, the magic is too strong. It can literally turn a fey into a near mortal. We can't use too much of our magic here. The river won't have it. That's the myth, anyway. It's like dead space to our kind, the in between of worlds. I think it might be affecting you, too. I literally can't change around the rivers. I can only use a simple glamour and charms. It's strange...."

Shade nodded as they continued down the slippery banks without speaking again for a while. She wondered if Soap wanted to ask her anything else. He seemed more quiet than usual. This would have bothered her more, but concentrating on not slipping on another rock or mossy wet patch kept her attention for now. They reached the edge of the bank to another crossing area. She groaned as she watched the front of the group submerge themselves up to their waists in cold river water. The rush of the current wasn't as strong at the crossings points, but she loathed the cold feel of the water. She reached the edge of the bank and watched as Soap strode right on in without so much as a whimper. Man up, already! She sighed and dipped her feet into the icy water, sucking in a breath.

She was near the other side when she heard some shouting. She straightened up to see further up the bank where Ewan, Jack, and Than were wildly shouting at someone, someone she couldn't see from her position in the river.

"Shade, come on. I think we're being attacked. Hurry!" Sary waved at her frantically and held her other hand out to her. She took it and pulled herself up out of the rushing waters. The chill was there again, and her teeth chattered together. She was pretty sure her lips were blue with cold. Sary kept half turning and pressing her on to follow, practically dragging her along.

Soap already left his position in front of her to join Jack and the others, who were now taking shelter behind some trees and drawing weapons. Shade found a large tree trunk to hide behind as arrows started sailing by, buzzing like bees as they flew. She felt drugged and sluggish from the cold. She had the blanket on, but in the cover of the trees and with no hot tea to drink this time, she was not recovering as well as before. Huddling against the tree and pulling the blanket around tightly for warmth, she was still shivering. She peeked around the tree as there was a break in the flying arrows. Whoever was attacking them had either run out or was restocking their weapons.

Jack was yelling at someone. Everyone stood their ground, hiding in their makeshift covers. She couldn't see who or what they were yelling at. She strained to hear anything... and then suddenly it came—a voice. The grave laugh was in the distance, but whoever it belonged to was not too far away.

"You can't hide forever, little half-breed. I know she's with you. Just hand her over, and we'll be on our way," the voice screeched through the trees.

Who is that? I've heard that voice before, Shade thought as the cruel laugh made her cringe. She strained a little more to see across the trees, spotting the owner of the voice. Lady Blythe was perched on a branch not too far above Ewan and the others. The Queen of the Dryad's skeletal, translucent wings were fluttering so fast that Shade could barely see them. If there hadn't been a slight breeze whirling around her, the tiny wings would have gone unnoticed altogether. Shade's heart pounded. She knew just what they wanted but not why.

"We will never give her to you, Blythe! You are far beyond your borders, and you have no rights here. This is neutral territory. Be gone already!" Jack's voice was strong and sturdy. He did not seem afraid but was definitely on the side of caution.

"You stupid fool! You dare insult me? I am Queen here. The trees are my domain, no matter where! You give me the Halfling, and I let you leave alive. Otherwise, you can all die, and I will still take the girl. Choose wisely!" Her cackling voice echoed through the air.

Shade didn't think it was possible, but she felt even colder than before. She worked hard to keep her teeth from chattering again, praying silently that the old hag of a faery would leave her alone. She didn't look like a nice faery from the 'fairy' stories of Shade's childhood. She looked vicious, dark, and ruthless flying up there in the branches. Shade's heart was racing as she glanced around, trying to think of a way to get away from there.

"No, Lady Blythe. We can't do that. It is our oath to protect her, and that we will, to the death even." Jack was holding his sword out. It glinted in the few rays that escaped the canopy of tree leaves above.

"So be it. Die then," she said without feeling. Lady Blythe laughed even harder as more arrows began to fly.

Shade ducked back behind the trunk and looked around for the others. Sary was pulling out daggers and weapons from behind a tree near her. Stephen was already returning arrows to whomever it was that was shooting them. Some screams of pain howled through the trees, but she wasn't sure who was behind it. Cracking branches and thumps in the bushes made her jump. She pulled out her own short sword and held it tightly in her hands. Taking a deep breath, she stood up and pressed herself against the tree, trying to become one with it. If only she could change into a tree, she could hide pretty well then.

The battle spilled around her as Lady Blythe's warriors pushed back against them. Jack was clanging swords against one tall but slender fighter. He had bulging muscles, pale skin much like Blythe's, and long white hair. All but his eyes were pale, and his skin was almost translucent. A pair of wings were tightly folded and pressed against his back to avoid being sliced by a sword. He wore thin metal armor that glinted in the streams of light as he fought. They all looked similar to the queen, and they worked and moved together like a hive of drones.

Shade ran for cover at the edge of the battle and hid behind some large looming trees. The best way I can help everyone is to stay hidden and avoid getting hit, she thought. Part of her wanted to help, but she was sure there was no way she could fight.

Suddenly, the arrows stopped altogether, and everyone was on the ground fighting. Even Blythe joined the fight with her own dual slender swords. She was holding off Than, who was fighting with his daggers, their silver sheen glinting with every movement. She kicked him hard in the stomach and laughed as he flew back to the ground. Dirt was flying up everywhere. Blythe caught Shade watching her, and a sinister smile crept across her face as she started toward Shade.

"Come here, little girlie." She started marching toward Shade but ran right into Jack and his swords, losing one of hers in the collision. She blocked him with her remaining sword and began battling his two. The metallic resonance filled the air as Shade backed away into the shadow of the forest. Her heart was pounding in her chest so hard that she could feel the beat vibrating in her throat. She felt flushed as her blood pumped rapidly throughout her body, her breaths growing short and quick.

"Shade!" Dylan was now next to her and tugging at her arm. He led her deeper into the woods, and she tried hard to not stumble or fall on the branches and dead shrubbery that scraped at her legs and sliced at her arms.

"Slow down, Dylan! I can't go that fast!" Her hand slipped from his as she fell to the ground, grinding her knees into the dirt and rock.

Dylan didn't pick her up. He was occupied, swinging his sword against another warrior dryad. As they fought around her, Shade managed to get to her feet. Mud streaked across her jeans and hands, making her wipe even more of the mess onto her pants. It was then that she noticed her sword had fallen onto the ground. She looked back over her shoulder at Dylan; he and his foe were still clanging their swords together. Dylan had a cut on his left forearm that was streaked with blood. Shade stepped forward and bent down to grab her sword, swearing as she did, for her right knee was on fire. I must have scraped it or bruised it when I fell. She stumbled to another tree and pressed her back to it, gripping the sword in her hands, the blade and hilt also caked in mud.

Her eyes were stinging with tears, although she didn't notice she'd been crying. Swallowing back a sob, she shook with fear. Breathing deeply, she looked around the large tree trunk and tried to see through the woods for anyone else in the group. She heard screams, yelling, and swords clanging, but she wasn't as close to the fighters as she'd first thought. She couldn't hear them clearly anymore, realizing she'd stumbled too far away. Her heart jumped as morbid thoughts crept into her head. What if they're hurt or dead? She couldn't even see Dylan anymore but continued to hear the clank of swords.

Shade moved slowly from her spot and crept closer to the voices, using the trees and bushes for cover. She hunched behind them, pressing herself close, wishing she could blend in and disappear. The hilt of her sword was cool but reminded her of playing pirates with fake swords as a child. She tried her best to slow her breathing, feeling slightly dizzy from her frantic panting. Shade listened intently, but it seemed like the fighting died down. The silence was even more frightening than the noise. Leaves rustled above her, like a flock of birds flapping their wings, startling her. She could hear a loud roar of rushing water behind her but nothing else.

This can't be good. What now? Where is everyone? Shade waited for an answer. Her spirit guides were silent. What happened to you guys? The silence made her feel utterly alone. The forest was daunting, dark, and forlorn. She let the tears flow but bit her lip to swallow her sobs. Sliding down the trunk, she curled herself in the oversized roots that veined the dirt. Her legs bent up under her as she hugged them, her sword still dangling loosely from her hands.

Time seemed to have stopped now. She still couldn't hear anyone but felt afraid to move. A fresh breeze rustled the canopy of the trees, and it felt like something or someone, had brushed against her, making her jump just a bit. It prickled along her arms like cactus spines, making her realize someone was very close. She held her breath and slowly stood up, still pressed against the trunk. Listening, she knew that whoever was around was trying to blend in too.

Shade could feel eyes burning into her, as though they were waiting for her to give herself away. She wiped the last of her tears from her face and gripped her sword more tightly. Her hair flew in her face, stringy and stuck with sweat. She could taste the salt on her lips, dirt and tears, and knew she was a disheveled mess. She thought about her family and Ilarial and didn't want to disappoint them. There was no giving up. There was more than just fear inside her, she could feel it. Straightening up, she breathed out slowly and began scanning the woods.

"I can smell your fear, little girl. Why don't you just give up? Lady Blythe won't hurt you, at first. I just want to talk for a bit, and then maybe the hurt can start after that," she sneered.

Shade was so disgusted by the old woman's cackling laugh. She could almost feel it rippling down her spine. Shade couldn't see her, but she could feel the old faery's magic dancing along her skin. The faery radiated power like an unchecked flame that touched Shade with its fingers. She estimated in her head that the faery was just on the other side of the tree. It was then that she squeezed her sword, feeling her fingers digging into each other and turning white from the pressure. She let out a primal scream, swinging the sword hard as she flung herself around the corner.

The blade sliced Blythe in her shoulder but failed to cut too deeply. She screeched and jumped back, bringing her sword up in defense. Crimson blood dripped down her arm and oozed off into the dark earth. The Queen did not seem very tall to Shade. Even standing up made her still look like a short, bony thing of a sprite. No wonder she spent her life up in the trees. Anyone can look intimidating from up high. Shade retreated behind the tree but readied herself for sprinting or fighting.

"You stupid girl! How dare you attack me!" There was a loud thump against the trunk of the tree.

Shade's bravery was being used up way too fast, and she was pretty sure the old woman had just tried to blast her with something. She stepped back from the tree and readied her sword once more. Blythe suddenly jumped in front of her from the side, hollering in another language, her pointy teeth flashing and her sword held high. Then she charged. Shade dodged her but tripped on a tree root. She scrambled to stand but stumbled backward, forced to crawl on her hands and feet to get away.

Lady Blythe hit the roots with her sword, making it stick. She tugged at it with her scrawny arms but failed to budge it from the earth. The tree seemed to grip it tighter the more she fought to retrieve her weapon. Shade took the moment to get back on her feet and run. She ran as fast as she could, glancing back only to find Blythe without her sword, moving just as fast and quickly gaining ground.

Shade dodged and wove her way through the trees. The roar of the river water was closer now, but the rush of wind blowing in her ears made it impossible to calculate how far away it was. She prayed that the land would not run out for her. She had the feeling the Dryad Queen could cross the river faster than she could.

Shade forced herself to make an abrupt stop as the land narrowed to an edge. Stuffing the sword away in her pack, she prepared to cross the river, but she was shocked to learn that instead, she found a drop-off. One of the rivers emptied over a cliff and formed into a waterfall.

Oh my God....Water clouds rose from the rocks below, and she could feel herself pale as the height of the cliff became more evident. The land stretched out beyond the drop-off with more forests, hills, rivers, and jagged mountains.

There's nowhere to go but down.

Shade turned to see Blythe slowing her run to a jog and snickering at her. Her large eyes flashed with her wicked smile. Her pale skin had a slight flush to it now, and she slowly stepped toward Shade. Shade felt her heart thudding hard in her chest and tried not to be afraid. The Dryad Queen licking her lips didn't help, but it made Shade feel like she was about to be dinner.

Blythe took out her dagger. "You have nowhere to go. You're so weak. I wonder why Zinara could even fathom that you could save them. The Unseelie will be greatly pleased to have you as their prisoner. The Unseelie Queen will owe me, and she will be sick with my victory. Come to me now... I promise it won't hurt much." She sneered, but her eyes were cold and dangerous. She stepped closer, pulling a rope from her waist belt.

Shade shook her head and turned her eyes back to the waterfall. There was nowhere to go. She strained to hear her comrades but heard only the rush of water overwhelming her ears. No one was coming to save her. She glanced back at Lady Blythe and her evil smile. No, Shade could not go with her. As Shade stepped farther back, she realized that the edge was inches from her feet. She knew with certainty that her fate was sealed.

"You don't want to fall now, do you?" Lady Blythe asked, eyeing her with words coming out like sweet, poisonous honey.

Shade wasn't fooled. She could feel her knees wobble but concentrated on not falling. She wasn't sure how long she could steady herself with a horrid witch in her face. Letting out a nervous sigh, she began to reach for her backpack. This is crazy and it won't work! After stuffing the warm blanket into her pack, she pulled it onto her shoulders. A moment later, she turned from Blythe and jumped.

The wind lashed at her body and howled in her ears. She could barely hear the queen's furious scream as the icy water swallowed her whole.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

131K 10.9K 55
A war is brewing in The Faerie Realm; it's up to a knight, a prince, and an outcast to stop it. When a sinister and mysterious master takes contro...
1.4K 94 21
All Autumn has ever wanted was to be able to live a peaceful life, but there always seems to be something that gets in her way. Her life has been alw...
9.9K 433 17
Sabine has spent the past decade hiding from the Wild Hunt. But when a charismatic stranger recruits her to retrieve an invaluable artifact, she'll h...
50.1K 5.2K 38
In the sequel to Treachery Queen, the Seelie Court has declared its war on the world, and nothing will ever be the same. It has only been a week sin...