Tears of Zubaida.

By HalimatuAbdulrazak

~~~~~~ When two ends meet, does that mark it the end? Or the beginning of another roller coaster? ~~~~~~ The... More

•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter One•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter two•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter three•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter four•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter five•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Six•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Seven•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Eight•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Nine•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Ten•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Eleven•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Twelve•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Thirteen•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Fourteen•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Fifteen•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Sixteen•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Seventeen•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Eighteen•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Nineteen•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Twenty•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Twenty-one•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Twenty-two•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Twenty-three•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Twenty-four•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Twenty-five•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Twenty-Six•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Twenty-Seven•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Twenty-Eight•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Twenty-Nine•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Thirty•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Thirty-one•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Thirty-two•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Thirty-three•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Thirty-four•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Thirty-five•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Thirty-Six•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Thirty-Seven•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Thirty-Nine•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Forty•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Forty-one•••
•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Forty-two•••

•••••TEARS OF ZUBAIDA••••• •••Chapter Thirty-Eight•••

386 103 4
By HalimatuAbdulrazak

It's going to be fine.

It's going to be fine. Ruqayyah kept telling herself, for the first time, she's doubting her decision.
Maybe it's because, this is happening officially like how it's suppose to be, traditionally and religiously.

Zubaida watched her anxious sister quietly staring at the trees that look like moving ones as the car speeds past them. She felt happy for her sister, this time around, it was pure happiness. No envy, nothing at all.
She felt a soothing ease at the sight of her sister, she hopes this is the best for her, after all, she deserves it. She deserves to be happy.

"Do you know what?" She broke the silence.

Ruqayyah shook her head saying "not until you tell." And turned to face her sister.

"It's nothing, I just wanted to distract you from your world of thoughts ne."

"Are you sure?" Ruqayyah asked. Because one glance at Zubaida, you'd need not to be told she has a lot to loll out of her tongue.

She wished she could say no, and tell her she's afraid of going home now. She wish she could tell her she's afraid of almost everything. She wish she could tell her she's in love and it's a one-sided one. She wish all her worries could just vanish away.

"Yes, bakomai. It's nothing."

••• ••• •••
Wardanga was just the way it usually was everyday that time, except this time around, as Ruqayyah, Zubaida, Baraka and two cars behind them emerged, it dragged lots of attention. And Ruqayyah hates it.

Those two cars, are her soon-to-be-in-laws. As well as her suitor, Aliyu.

The whole plan changed, instead of Malam Musa to go and pick Zubaida, Aliyu decided to make things formal, and so, here they are now. To seek the hands of Ruqayyah in marriage.

So instead of their familiar route to Unguwar mai dile, they took a different route to Layin Kuka.

Her paternal uncle's place, there, the visitors will be received and the seek will proceed, then the arrival of Zubaida will also be looked upon.
The house was recently renovated, the once faded gate has now been changed to a more metallic and durable one. They honked and entered the spacious compound where the three cars were parked respectively.

Zubaida saw the renowned station wagon of their uncle and nudged Ruqayyah.

"Baba Habu na gida. Baba Habu is home." She whispered.

"It's obvious." Ruqayyah rolled her eyes. The memories of every Fridays and Saturdays nights they always go to the sectarian with her uncle and cousins vividly came back to her which had a nostalgic feeling lingering on it.

Ruqayyah smiled at the notification that popped on her phone. It was a text from Aliyu, asking her of her trip.

- it was fine, alhamdulillah.

- Maa Shaa Allah. After this meeting today, they will be just some few more maybe two to three and then you'd be officially my wife. Ko?

A blush crept on her face which she quickly pushed away and replied him rolling her eyes and twitching her lips as if he could see her.

- don't be too giddy, I might have a change of heart, few minutes later.

- that change of heart will then have to be only after seeing my cadaver. Kashe ni zaki yi?

Ruqayyah chuckled and decided to divert the topic.

- you look handsome today.

- haven't I always being handsome? or have you been too blinded by my love to notice? I also can't wait to see you, could you please step down from the car?

Ruqayyah peeped through the tinted window, and saw Aliyu already leaning by the car with his ducked low and focused on his phone screen.

- not when you are outside, this is your in-laws place. Not a place for public display of affection.

- that will even make them give me you without any hesitation.

- you wish!

She offer her data and watched as her cousin led them in, before they also came down and left to the other side of the house, where they'd meet Zainaba, and the other wives of their uncle.

••• ••• •••

Friday, 8th July, 2016.

That day, the Musa residence was gloom, nothing seemed to be appealing, even the rain that poured that morning had something melancholic lingering in it, maybe it's in the sound it gives when it hits the roof, or in the tiny holes it digs when it beats the ground.
But, something was wilted and ebbing from the house.

In the room Ruqayyah shares with her sister were three tear stricken faces. Especially Ruqayyah's whose whole melanin turned to a cherry pigment from the cries of the previous night amalgamated with the ones of the day.

Her fate was changed within twenty-four hours, and it was drastically changed. The bubbly Ruqayyah was gradually dying and a solemn one awakening.

Even Malam Musa, she's a few tears before choosing the decision that was just beginning to ruin his firm house.
In a few minutes time, his daughter will start bearing the title of a missus and that too, not to a man she loves, but a man that wanted her as a compensation.

"I'm sorry." Were what her father said to her the moment she entered his room the previous night.

"I chose my reputation over you, my daughter."

And before he could finish saying what he wanted to she cut him short.

"Baba naji komai. I heard everything." She felt sober for her father. "I eavesdropped you that day."

"I'm sorry Ruqayyah. I choose to give him you." He said using his right thumb and index finger to squeeze his eyes. "Tomorrow is the Fatiha." He had said.

And now few minutes left to the Fatiha. That wasn't how she imagined her wedding to be like. That wasn't how.

"The groom and his waliyy are here, the imam too is here. Please you all should get ready, he'd wait until after Friday prayers and he will leave with her; the bride." Malam Musa peeped and announced to the trio.

Zainaba only nodded her head and didn't bother replying. She quietly left the room and took some bathing water to the bathroom for Ruqayyah.

"Go and take a bath." She said.

"Okay." Her voice crooked. It was rather more masculine than feminine.

"Zubaida stop the cry. It's enough."  Zainaba persuaded.
But Zubaida didn't stopped, she woke up in the morning and saw her mother and sister crying, she also joined them not knowing the reason behind it. And it worsened when she realized the reason, but now her cries were because her sister is getting married and will be living the house. After all, that's the tradition right? She thought. Brides cry before they are conveyed to their new homes, that's why she's also crying.

••• ••• •••

The Fatiha took place with only six people apart from the imam. They were only the groom, his waliyy, Malam Musa, his brother whose role was the bride's waliyy, and two of his neighbors. Trusted neighbors.

Immediately after the Friday prayers, Adam demanded Ruqayyah should live with him instantly.

After so much hugs and endless cries, Malam Musa peeled her body from Zainab's and Zubaida's and gave her to Adam who forcefully dragged and pushed her to the car. It was still raining and they were no people outside to witness it.

Ruqayyah's last words to her father had haunted him since then.

"Maybe next time, you choose your daughter over your reputation instead."
•~•~•~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15K 939 37
" I know this marriage started as an arrangement but now I've fallen for you. Please give me a chance to love you and show you that I care." I told h...
107K 18.4K 54
Copyright© 2020. All rights reserved. Completed! ~•BOOK 2 IN THE ROYAL SERIES•~ Perhaps it was the fact that despite the inner turmoil she has, some...
28.5K 4.7K 52
Andrew and Victoria's relationship was their definition of perfect, but everything came crashing down when Andrew broke her heart. The only problem n...
739K 75.4K 78
[UNDER EDITING] BASED ON A HAUSA LIFESTYLE. --- "Too bad you're mine and you have no choice but to stick with me" --- Umar Kashim is rich, and from h...