Great Loss (a hotchniss story)

By lylovescm

Aaron Hotchner gets some news about one of his members, Emily Prentiss. Little did the team know, he develope... More

background
worry (emily's POV)
feelings (hotch's POV)
truth (emily's POV)
plead (hotch's POV)
confess (emily's POV)
regret (hotch's POV)
rush (emily's POV)
gone (hotch's POV)
the letters
new start (emily's POV)
contemplate (hotch's POV)
anger (emily's POV)
secrets (hotch's POV)
aware (emily's POV)
odd (hotch's POV)
baby & death (emily's POV)
grieve (hotch's POV)
stress (emily's POV)
suspicions (hotch's POV)
Athena (narrator's POV)
unveil
encounter
a blast & its aftermath
trapped
too much?
a moment
family
a question
talks
perfect
epilogue

new life (emily's POV)

1K 17 11
By lylovescm

Deep breaths. Just take deep breaths.

My body hurts.

"You can't come in. She's going into surgery," a voice says.

"SHE'S ALL ALONE, I NEED TO BE THERE FOR HER!" another voice yells out.

I hear a sigh. "I'm sorry, I need to attend to her now."

I open my eyes slowly and I see a bright light. I wince. Something suddenly blocks the light.

"Hi. You're going into surgery," a voice says. I think it's a surgeon. "Go ahead."

I begin to fall asleep.

I begin to dream.

My baby. She's in my arms as I look over the balcony, watching the ocean as the waves collide. The sun is setting and I admire the fresh breeze and the tiny human in my arms.

I suddenly feel something digging into my back. I gasp as it goes in a little deeper.

"Follow my instructions or the baby gets it," the person demands.

I turn around and the person is in a mask. Other people are in the room with the same masks too. One takes the baby from my arms and walks out, touching her face.

"DON'T DO ANYTHING TO HER, I SWEAR,"  I yell out.

The masked individual chuckles. "How can you do anything if you're dead?"

They walk out of the room and a shot goes off.

"Push 1 of Epi," the Surgeon says. "She's gonna bleed out if we don't hurry up Karev."

"Robbins don't you think I know that? We need to get this baby out now, or they're both not going to make it!" Karev snaps back. "Get me an incubator because this baby is coming out soon."

"I'll work on Mom and you work on Baby," Robbins declares. Karev nods.

The baby's out and Karev rushes to the other side of the room. Wires are attached to her. "Come on girl, just give me a small cry."

He pumps her little heart. "Karev...tell me what's going on."

"GIVE ME A MINUTE," he says. "Come on, I know your mom can't live without you so just fight."

A rhythm appears on the screen. "We got a rhythm but not a cry. Bring her to the NICU," Karev says to a nurse.

Karev walks over to Robbins and helps her. "We're supposed to be here for a stupid presentation, not actual surgery."

"Alex, just shut up. We're surgeons to save lives. And we're going to save two today," Robbins says.

Silence occurs except for a beep from the monitor. "She's stable for now but we got to stop this bleeding."

Over the next couple hours, I'm still in surgery. The team's in the waiting room.

"We should've waited. I knew this was going to happen," Elle says, pacing around the room.

Luke walks up to her and touches her shoulder. She pushes away. "Look, it was bound to come out some day. It just turns out today was the day."

"Luke's right. We can't predict the future Elle," Kate says.

Elle begins to breathe really fast, making everyone look at her. "I need air."

She runs outside and throws up in a bush. Someone holds up her hair. "Let it out."

Wiping her mouth, she looks up to see it's Alex Blake. They sit on the wet curb, watching as the cars go by.

"I can't lose her or the baby. Sh** I made a mistake and my mistake is gonna cost her, her life," Elle explains. "I needed money after all the traveling, I needed to get away from here. I'm still afraid to be here."

Alex scoots near her and gives her a hug. "It's normal to be scared. You got shot here, almost lost your life. And you never knew that Emily was going to London. Or she was a mastermind. What'd she want you to do anyways?"

Elle leans on her shoulder. "All she did was send money. And I accepted it because I was desperate. She didn't need anything. I didn't even know her name but once we heard Prentiss was coming here, she called up and said she wanted me to get rid of her. I couldn't do that."

It starts to drizzle again. "If she loses the baby, she's gonna hurt herself. That's the only thing she has from her ex. It's gonna kill her if the baby dies," Elle sobs. "I can't lose her, not this far into our friendship. She's my best friend Blake."

"I know. We don't want to lose her either or the baby." She pauses. "Let's go inside and see if there's any news."

Alex gets up and starts walking towards the entrance. Elle grabs her arm and pulls her in for a long hug. "Thank you, you really are the Mama Bear of the team. Ethan would be so lucky."

Blake gives her a small kiss on her head before letting go. They walk in together and they see the Doctor walk away. Elle runs towards the team. "What happened?"

"Greenaway, sit down," Walker says. "The baby's out but they're working on her because she's so little. They're both touch and go. As for Emily, she has lost a lot of blood. They're also working on her." He looks around. "It's late, let's all go to the hotel. The hospital can contact me once one of them is out of surgery."

Elle knows that she can't argue with Walker right now. Her mind is on Em and the baby. The team heads back to the hotel and they get ready for bed.

"Hey you know, we're a door down if you need anything," Kate comforts. Alex nods in agreement. "Get some sleep."

"Thank you, good night you two," Elle whispers.

She hops into bed and dozes off. Within hours later, a knock comes to the door. Elle instantly wakes up and rushes to open it. She looks around and no one is there, then she looks at the door, with a yellow envelope, addressed to Elle Greenaway.

Elle closes the door and sits on the bed. She opens the letter. It says:

"Elle Greenaway,
You took advantage of me. Took my money and didn't do what I asked in return? You ungrateful b****.
By the way, how is Agent Emily Prentiss? Is she settling well in London? You haven't started on the baby's room yet?
Karma's going to bite you in the ass Greenaway. I'll make sure of it. Maybe in the way you wouldn't think it would happen.

Kisses,
Your Favorite Friend"

She runs down the hall and knocks on the 3 doors, making everyone look down the hall. "Elle it's too early for this."

"Shut up Alvez, I just got this," she explains. She shows everyone the letter after heading into Walker's room. "What do we do know?"

Matt starts to talk. "Well... we have to think of all the possibilities. She wanted to get rid of Emily right? Maybe it's about her?"

"Walker..." Elle glares at him. "We need to get there now."

Walker gets on the phone. "Don't worry. I'm calling Strauss if we can use the BAU's security to protect Emily and the baby for now. She has to know."

"Let's say it is about Emily. How can we protect her and the baby from any trouble?" Matt asks.

Silence occurs.

"What if we... fake Emily and the baby's death?" Elle says.

Heads turn towards her, eyebrows raised. "Listen. The only identity being changed is Emily's. No one is going to know about the baby's name. We'll hide out until you catch her."

Luke chuckles. "We'll? You're going?"

Elle sighs. "I need to make it up to her. She's not gonna be able to handle the baby herself. I'll just say I needed to run away because my best friend died. I'll change my identity if I have to."

"Greenaway do you think you can handle that by yourself? A mastermind is after you," Walker explains. "I'm not saying it's a bad idea, it's risky."

"Stephen, just place us somewhere and have Interpol security protecting us. I'll change my hair or whatever. Emily's too valuable to die," Elle debates.

Nods go around. "Okay fine, I'll discuss this with the higher authority. Everyone get ready for the day."

Everyone gets ready and heads to the hospital. Elle goes ahead and asks the nurse at the station for an update on me.

"She's been out of surgery, Doctors Robbins and Karev apologize for not being able to call you right away. Agent Prentiss needed rest, she had a long surgery. But she's stable for now," the nurse explains. "Room Number is 2323."

Elle sighs as something lifts off of her chest. "And the baby?"

"The baby is stable too, she's very small so she needs to stay in an incubator for a couple months as her lungs and heart grow. She's a fighter."

"Thank you," Elle proclaims. She turns around and heads towards the team. "They're both okay."

Hugs are given and Elle heads to Emily's room. She walks in and sees me laying there. She begins to sob as she grabs a seat and scoots it towards my bed. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I should've told you. I regret it so much Em. God please pull through. Your daughter needs you."

Elle bows her head and I wake up. I look to my left and I see a head on my arm. I build the strength to lift my right arm and flick her on the head. "You dumb***."

Her head perks up. "Oh my God. You're awake."

"Shut up, will you? What happened?" I ask, in a raspy voice.

Elle wipes her tears. "You bled out at the diner. Maybe caused by the stress we gave you. They had to perform surgery on you and the baby."

"She's out? How is she? Have you seen her yet? Please tell me you haven't," I plead.

"I haven't. I wanted to see how you were doing. She's a fighter you know, just like her mom," Elle chuckles.

I chuckle back. "What stress are you talking about?"

Elle whispers. "You found out that I was working with a mastermind who wanted to get rid of you. You walked out on us."

"I — you," I'm cut off.

"The team and I made a plan. We'd fake you and the baby's death so she won't come after us. I'm coming with you," Elle explains. "I'll continue to explain everything later. Let me call in the team."

She walks out and I close my eyes.

"My baby's alive."

"Hey Prentiss. How you doin?" Alvez asks.

We talk for a couple hours before the nurse telling them to leave for me to rest. Elle stays behind. "I'm gonna go get a snack, be right back."

She gets up and looks at the security standing outside the room. "Protect her."

Elle uses the elevator to find a vending machine. She finally finds one and walks towards it. Another person walks towards it too, from the opposite way. He looks familiar to Elle. "Elle Greenaway?"

She stops. "Spencer Reid? What are you doing here?"

"I volunteer here whenever I have the time. What are you doing here?" he asks.

"I — um. I'm here visiting a friend," Elle stutters.

Spencer walks up to her and hugs her. She hugs him back. They pull away from each other. "I saw you at Gideon's funeral. Who were you with?"

Elle didn't want to let Reid know that Emily was in the same hospital. "Just a friend who accompanied me."

A ring comes from Elle's phone and she picks it up. "Yeah what's up? Mhm. I'll be right there."

She ends the call. "Um...nice seeing you Reid. I really have to go."

Elle dashes away. Spencer does a small wave. "Uh bye."

"What happened?" Elle says, out of breath.

I pout. "I want to see her. You owe me you know."

Elle sighs. "Are you kidding me? I had to say bye to Reid."

"Reid's here? Why?" I ask, trying to shift without any pain.

"Don't move. And he said he's volunteering or something," Elle explains.

Footsteps approach the room. "Emily?"

"Spence?" I look towards  "How'd you know where to find me?"

"I know a pair of boots when I see them. Gideon's funeral. And I do volunteer here. I sometimes am able to see babies but since the nurses love me so much, they let me see the NICU babies," he explains. "I saw 'Baby Girl Prentiss' and I was for sure that you were here."

I sigh. "I can explain. Really."

"Better make it quick," Reid snaps.

I explain how I moved to London for Interpol, Elle becoming a close friend, finding out I'm pregnant. Everything about Interpol, and then the baby shower, and then coming here for Gideon's funeral.

After I finish talking, I look over to Reid, who's silent. "Reid?"

He suddenly gets up and hugs me tightly. "I missed you Emily. So much. And I'm so glad to see you."

"I missed you too Brainiac. You can't tell anyone that you saw me here. This stays between us. I'm serious Spencer," I state.

Reid puts his hand up. "Okay. Okay. But Emily, she's Hotch's daughter too. You can't keep her away from him forever."

"Spence, he said it was a mistake that he fell in love with me, wouldn't that hurt you? Please don't tell me you're siding with him," I plead.

He sighs. "I'm not on anyone's side. I actually went off on him because he drove you away. You're one of my closest friends and you didn't say goodbye. I was upset."

I sigh. "I'm sorry. You know I needed to do this. Did you tell them about your addiction?"

"Yes, I'm getting help. I appreciate you so much for encouraging me in the letter," he says.

"Em, should we tell him?" Elle asks. "He is apart of the BAU."

Spencer sits up straight. "Tell me what?"

I take a deep breath. "Spence, someone's out to get me. They're here in Virginia and Elle used to work with them. They're a mastermind."

"Are you sure about that? Because the BAU is looking for Gideon's murderer. And they're here in Virginia. We think her name is Beth," Spencer explains.

He hesitates to say something but stays quiet.

"We were thinking of faking my death so we wouldn't be found by her. For the safety of the baby and I," I say. "If it does go through, you can't mention this to anyone."

He nods. "So...can I be a godfather?"

We all laugh. "Of course Brainiac, I would've asked you but you know... I left."

"Em I got to go, Hotch wants us at the office," Reid explains. "If this is the last time I'm seeing you, what's the baby's name?"

I think. "Her name's Athena. Athena Prentiss."

"That's gorgeous," Spence says. "Hey, you know I love you. Let me know if you need anything, stay safe."

He hugs Elle and I. "I love you too Spence. Glad to see you."

"Wait, how is he?" I ask, referring to Aaron.

He sighs. "He's doing okay. Deep down, I know he still misses you and loves you. Jack too." He runs up to me and kisses me on the head. I ruffle his hair.

He walks away and blows a kiss.

I tear up, Elle coming to my side. "We'll be okay."

"Can we see her?" I ask. "Please."

Elle nods and walks outside, coming back with a nurse and a wheelchair. "You need to be extra careful. I'm allowing it because of your situation." The nurse says, looking at the security guards.

We arrive to the NICU floor. The nurse brings a small incubator to the window.

"Hi baby, you're so small. Fight for me please, I can't lose you," I whisper. "I love you so much and everyone who knows about you loves you too. Just fight."

I stare at her for a while before heading back to the room. We arrive and the team's there.

Gentle hugs come around. "I can't believe you gave birth before me," Kate says.

We all laugh. "You know I'm still upset that no one told me," I say. "It's messed up but I'm controlling my feelings because my baby's here."

"We're sorry. I hope you can forgive us. But now we have to prepare to fake you and the baby's death," Walker whispers. "We need to do it soon before anyone knows."

I nod and I look at Elle. "We're ready."

Another start to a great chapter of my life.

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡
Author's Note:
hey babes! new chapter :))) , em and baby athena are okay. but now it starts a new beginning. most likely the next chapter won't come out till the weekend.
how do you feel about Spence? i had to have at least one character see Emily, and it's Spence cus we love our boy genius!
im sorry this chapter is a mess but i hope you like it!
PS: did u notice i added 2 Grey's Anatomy characters hehe :) lemme know if ur a grey's fan too, and if so, whos ur fav character(s)?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

176K 4.6K 27
When Liv faced a loss that would rewrite her entire life, she stepped away from her work. A year and a half later, she returns to the BAU in search o...
74.8K 1.2K 21
Emily and Aaron have always had hidden feelings for each other. But, Emily is already in a committed relationship with Andrew Mendoza. What happens w...
33K 482 29
It's took years for her to see that the situation she was in was abuse, mentally and physically. Y/n Marie, once a lawyer with the BAU, is strugglin...