White Hot Flames (ZukoxOC)

By generationriot

Rezalia's known Zuko since they were kids. She's been with him throughout his banishment and she'll continue... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51

10

1.1K 31 8
By generationriot

        They spend the next couple of days following the avatar. As of now, Rezalia and Zuko were in Zuko's room while the others were having music night on the deck. Rezalia was stretching on the floor and humming to herself while Zuko sat on his bed with his arms crossed, staring into space. Iroh opens the door, causing to Rezalia to look up at him. Zuko doesn't bother as he says; "For the last time, I'm not playing the sumki horn."

Iroh looks between the two of them before settling on his nephew's face. "No, it's about our plans. There's a bit of a problem."

Zuko looks up and opens his mouth to speak but is stopped when Zhao enters the room behind Iroh. "I'm taking your crew," he says, completely forgoing formalities.

"What?!" Zuko and Rezalia exclaim in unison.

Zhao smirks at them, like the snake he is. "I've recruited them for a little expedition to the North Pole."

"Uncle, is that true?" Zuko asks, searching the man's face for evidence that this was some kind of joke. Rezalia rises from her split and makes her way to Zuko's side.

Iroh looked miserable. "I'm afraid so. He's taking everyone." The man throws his arm over his eyes in despair. "Even the cook!"

"Sorry you won't be there to watch me capture the Avatar. But I can't have you getting in my way again," Zhao sneers. Zuko lunges, but Rezalia pulls him back and draws a quick 'x' over his back. No.

Zhao walks further into the room an examines the broad swords that hung on Zuko's wall. The very swords that Zuko used when he was out playing vigilante. Zuko tenses and Rezlalia furiously taps twice on Zuko's back before pausing and repeating the motion. Again and again. Lie lie lie lie.

Zhao pulls one of the swords off of the wall. "I didn't know you were skilled with broadswords, Prince Zuko."

"I'm not. They're antiques. Just decorative," Zuko replies tensely. Rezalia stops taping and draws a short line with two fingers. Sorry.

Zhao hums and turns to Iroh. "Have you heard of the Blue Spirit, General Iroh?"

Iroh gives the Admiral a weird look. "Just rumors. I don't think he is real."

"He's real all right. He's a criminal, an enemy of the Fire Nation." Zhao hands the broad sword to Iroh. "But I have a feeling that justice will catch up with him soon. General Iroh, the offer to join my mission still stands if you change your mind," Zhao says as he moves to leave. He pauses. "That offer extends to you as well, Ms. Devil."

Zuko growls at the name, and Rezalia was sure Zhao only said it because he knew i would make Zuko mad. Zhao shuts the door behind him. "Over my dead body," Rezalia scoffs as she falls backward onto Zuko's bed. Said prince sits down next to her with his head in his hands. She nudges Zuko with her knee and smiles at him when he looks up. Zuko manages a small smile in return.

Iroh leaves and returns hours later with an awkward smile. Rezalia looks up from the book she was reading, however her vision is slightly off due to the fact that she was laying upside down in the chair. Zuko was lying in the bed facing away from the door. The two hadn't left Zuko's room all day, with the exception of getting meals to bring back to his room.

"The crew wanted me to wish you safe travels."

Zuko scoffs. "Good riddance to those traitors." Rezalia frowns but lets in go on the grounds that he was already upset.

Iroh says nothing for a moment before changing the subject. "It's a lovely night for a walk. Why don't you join me? It would clear your head." Zuko says nothing. "Or, just stay in your room and sit in the dark. Whatever makes you happy."

Iroh shuts the door quietly. Rezalia marks her page and places the book aside before setting herself rightside up. "Do you want me to stay or go?"

"I'd like to be alone, please," Zuko murmurs in response. Rezalia nods and follows Iroh's lead, saying a quiet goodbye before closing the door behind her.

"Uncle Iroh! Wait up!" Rezalia calls. Iroh stops and waits for her to catch up with a grin. "So, tell me about the new tea you got."

Iroh and Rezalia walk along a beaten path in the woods, talking about the newest tea that Iroh picked up at the last market they stopped at when they're stopped by the sound of an explosion. Both of them whip around to see the endings of their ship blowing up. "Zuko!" Iroh shouts. Rezalia takes off running back to the ship.

She skids to a stop at the edge of the water. The ship was completely destroyed. On fire, parts missing, and sinking. And no sign of Zuko. Rezalia sinks to her knees. "No no no no no."

Not long after that, her and Iroh sat in Zhao's office with tea in front of him. Rezalia's face was blank, which unnerved Zhao. Not that he'd ever admit that. "I'm devastated to hear about Prince Zuko. Just devastated."

Rezalia doubted that. Zhao had never liked Zuko. But her tongue felt leaden so she said nothing at all. "The Fire Lord will not be pleased he learns who was responsible," Iroh says, eyes downcast. Zhao tenses and studies the two of them carefully.

"You know who... was behind the attack?" he asks.

"Yes," Iroh says before slamming his fist on the table. "Pirates!"

"We had an issue with them a while back," Rezalia speaks up, voice little more than a whisper.

"They wanted revenge!" Iroh adds. Zhao hides his smrk behind his cup of tea.

"So," he starts after taking a sip. "Have you reconsidered me offer?"

"Yes, we accept. It will be an honor to serve as your general." Iroh raises his cup in a toast. "To the Fire Nation!"

"To victory," Zhao says, lifting his own cup. Rezalia lifts hers as well before taking a sip to hide her growing distaste. She hated that man. They remain in Zhao's office for a while, exchanging empty words before Rezalia and Iroh are finally allowed to leave.

As they walk through the corridor, the stop next to a guard. Rezalia moves to lean against the railing, looking out. Iroh stands next to the guard, each of them looking past each other. "Our plan is working perfectly. Zhao doesn't suspect a thing," the older man reports.

"But we'd better make this quick. I don't know how long I can stand to be around him without punching him. Again," Rezalia says. Zuko removes his guard mask.

"You didn't have to do this," he says quietly. Rezalia glances over his injuries quickly. A black eye and multiple scrapes.

"No nephew of mine is going to stow away on a ship without some backup!"

"Yeah, Z. Like hell would we let you do this alone."

"Thank you," Zuko murmurs. A sound is heard and Iroh instructs Zuko to put his mask back on. Rezalia twirls around Zuko to return to Iroh's side.

"Stay hidden until we get to the North Pole and the Avatar will be yours!" Iroh whisper shouts.

"Good luck!" he and Rezalia tell the prince in unison. With that, the three once again go their separate ways.

The next morning, Rezalia stands next to Iroh and Zhao as they look out and onto the open ocean. "My fleet is ready. Set a course for the Northern Water Tribe."

A little less than a week after that, Rezalia could see the Northern Water Tribe in the distance. As of now, her and Iroh joined Zhao on the bridge of his ship. "This will truly be one for the history books, General Iroh."

Over the past couple of days, Zhao had gone back to more or less ignoring Rezalia. It was clear that inviting her was to get on Zuko's nerves. "Just think, centuries from now, people will study the great Admiral Zhao who destroyed the last of the Water Tribe civilization. You're lucky you're here to see it."

Rezalia lazily swirls her tea around. "Be careful what you wish for, Admiral. History is not always kind to its subjects," Iroh warns. Rezalia shifts her weight and sips her tea, barely listening to the conversation. Really, why was she here at all?

"I suppose you speak from experience? But rest assured, this will be nothing like your legendary failure at Ba-Sing-Se," Zhao says, making a not-so-subtle jab at the older man.

"I hope not, for your sake," Iroh replies. Zhao grunts and orders Rezalia to tell the captain to prepare the first strike. The teen grumbles under her breathe but leaves anyway, if only so that she didn't have to sit there any longer. On her way, Rezalia runs into Zuko. Literally.

"Ow! Shit, my bad," she says, rubbing her arm where she had collided with the wall.

"Sorry, Zali. You okay?" Zuko asks quietly, looking around the hallway.

"Oh, Z, it's you. We're gonna land soon, so I really hope you have a plan," Rezalia says, putting her hands on her hips. She knew full well that he more than likely didn't.

"I'm working on it," he replies.

"Working on it? Z, you've had days to work on it. What the hell have you been doing?"

"Trying not to get caught."

"Fair enough. Just, don't get yourself killed out there, Z. Scare me like that again and I'll lose it."

"I won't Zali. Promise."

With that, the two of them walk away from one another. Rezalia makes her way to the captain to relay Zhao's message while Zuko goes to do whatever the fuck it is he does. During the attack itself, almost everyone leaves the boats. The only people who remain are the crew, Rezalia, Iroh, and Zhao.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.9K 101 8
Modern AU, adults. Zuko falls in love with Katara when she takes care of him at her hospital. Aang finds out Zuko likes his girlfriend, Katara, and h...
4.8K 486 14
This Legend revolves around two adolescents, Kairi and Zuko, who have contrasting beliefs and customs. Unexpectedly, despite their initial hostility...
65.9K 1.3K 14
When Zuko falls ill with a deadly spirit fever Katara learns her healing abilities are the only remedy for his illness. While spending time together...
75.8K 1.2K 18
Zuko has changed and he decided to join Gang. Katara isn't really happy about this... is she? Will Katara change her minds towards Zuko and become hi...