Sober

By smrdlnwrites_

He never wanted to keep Aya's mom unknown to his daughter. She is still her biological mom. She conceived Aya... More

Sober Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Epilogue

Chapter 26

1.9K 124 37
By smrdlnwrites_

/NINE YEARS AGO/

Lea was pale and already unconscious as Ian laid her down on the hospital’s emergency bed. He immediately called for an assistance from the nurses and doctors available around. Her arm hasn’t stopped bleeding but what worries him the most is the fact that she is not just the only one who’s in danger here but as well as her baby.

“Sir, if any chance, alam niyo po ba kung ano ang nakasaksak kay Ma’am?” the doctor asked him again after Ian did not answer the first one. He was spacing out. His thoughts were rattling.

“I-I don’t know... a knife? I-I... I cannot exactly tell!” he answered.

“We have to control the bleeding first before treating the wound. It looked deep so we may have to inject an anesthesia to—”

“Anesthesia?” Ian was alarmed upon hearing it. “S-she’s pregnant, Doc. Will that be safe for her and her baby? You also need to check if her baby is okay. Can we call an OB in here?!”

“Okay, we’ll call an OB here but for now, you need to step out and let us treat her. I’ll get back to you for an update as soon as we’re done.”

He nodded and breathed heavily to calm himself down. He sat on the waiting room of the hospital and tried organizing his thoughts. Ian knew that the people who should be here for Lea is her family so he fished his phone out of his pocket and dialed Sarah’s number.

After four rings, she picked it up. He immediately told her that her sister was at the hospital. Sarah had so much questions of whats and hows but Ian couldn’t answer them all over the phone. He just told her to come as soon as she can. It’s already quarter to ten when Sarah arrived with Leo.

“Where’s Lea?” the father asked him, nervous and confused. “What the hell happened, Ian?!”

“Kuya, anong nangyari kay Ate?” Sarah asked worriedly.

“She was stabbed in the arm po kasi but she’s being treated inside na po.”

“Stabbed? How come she was stabbed? Sinong sumaksak sa kanya at bakit kayo magkasama? I thought she was at Aga’s!?” sunod-sunod na tanong ni Leo. He doesn’t even care if he’s already raising a voice to Ian. He’s confused about what’s happening and he is worried about his daughter.

Ian released a shameful sigh, “It was my brother.”

“Your brother? Why would your brother stab her?”

“It was too complicated po but it has something to do with her past addiction.” he could only answer to the extent of his knowledge about it. “Mas maigi po siguro kung si Lea na ang magpapaliwanag sa inyo ng lahat. I am not in the position to answer for her.”

Leo heaved a deep breath and sat in one of the chairs beside his youngest. He can only hope and wait for Lea to get treated immediately. His most concern is just her safety right now. Ian was still preoccupied that he forgot to tell them about Lea’s pregnancy.

Until Sarah unexpectedly brought it up, “Teka... Ate is pregnant.”

“You knew about it?” Ian asked.

Leo looked at the two, “Lea is pregnant?!”

“Pumasok kasi ako kanina sa kuwarto ni Ate, Papa, para manghingi ng toothpaste— naubusan kasi ako. Tapos may nakita akong dalawang pregnancy kits sa banyo niya. Positive po parehas.” pagpapaliwanag ni Sarah.

“Why didn’t you tell me right away?”

“Ayaw ko naman po pangunahan si Ate. I thought she should tell you.” she answered and looked at Ian. “Paano niyo po pala nalaman na buntis siya, Kuya?”

“She bled earlier and that’s when she told me.”

“Dinugo siya? Is the baby okay?”

“I’m hoping, Sarah.” he said and sighed.

Leo looked at him, “A-are you the father?” he fiercely asked Ian.

The question was answerable by just either yes or no but it took him a couple of seconds to give a response. He’s been aware that Lea’s pregnant for more than an hour now but he must admit that it hasn’t really sank into him yet. He didn’t expect that something will burgeon from that treachery. Something that opened the cut he thought he has successfully closed.

But despite that, he’s still hoping Lea will do fine, as well as her baby. Whatever happened between them was not enough reason for him to wish them ill especially to an innocent human being. Lea didn’t deserve this and so did her baby.

“No, I’m not, Tito. It’s probably Aga’s.” he straightforwardly answered. “You should call him and tell him about it. Kailangan ko na rin pong umalis kasi may aasikasuhin pa po ako.”

“Hindi mo na hihintayin magkamalay ulit si Lea? You were the one who brought you here, I’m sure she’ll look for you.”

“Hindi na po. I am no longer needed here since you are already here to take care of everything. But I’d still pray for her fast recovery and I’m hoping that she and her child will be fine.” Ian said. Hindi na nila ito pinilit pa na manatili dahil tila hindi na magbabago ang isip ng binata.

“Thank you, Ian.” Leo felt the need to say those words so he did. “You keep saving her. Thank you.”

He just simply smiled before finally leaving them and the woman who still matters so much to him. He badly wanted to stay until Lea gained her consciousness and strength back. He wanted to be there and make sure she’s okay. But he felt like it’s no longer right for him to stay, especially now that she’s pregnant with Aga’s child again.

It should be Aga doing all of those for her, not him. It’s already Aga’s place and role, not his.

________

An hour after, Lea was already transferred to a private room where she should continue to heal. The doctors had to perform an emergency surgery to her to repair damaged tissues and to make sure there will a no other complications. For now, it would be impossible for her to use and move her left arm. It was a traumatic stab wound so it may also need a physical therapy before it functions normally again. Everything was as per the doctor who treated her.

“What about her baby? Is it okay?” Leo raised his other concern. He’s facing two doctors and he presumes that the other one was Lea’s OB-Gyn. And he’s hoping he will hear a good news from her too.

“The fetus is just six weeks old and with the amount of blood she lost, I was surprised the it’s still holding on. Her baby is fine, although we have to warn her to be extra careful from now on because a little heedlessness— a mere stress may lead to a complete miscarriage.” the doctor explained.

Leo breathed in relief and thanked the doctors for giving him such wonderful news. He went inside his daughter’s room where Lea’s laying unconscious in bed with an arm sling and an IV line.

“What did they tell you, Pa?” Sarah asked who just went out of the bathroom holding Lea’s clothes.

“They’re good. They’re fine.”

“Amen!” his youngest daughter suddenly exclaimed out of happiness and relief. “That is so great, Papa! Natakot pa naman ako kanina na bibigyan natin siya ng bad news pagkagising na pagkagising niya.”

“I know.” he concurred and stared at Lea. “Anyway, have you called Aga?”

“Yes, Pa, kaso hindi sumasagot. Baka tulog na kaya tatawagan ko na lang po ulit bukas.” Sarah answered and sat beside her sister’s bed. “I can’t believe she’s bearing Kuya Aga’s child again. Do you think they’ll finally get back together this time?”

“That will still depend on your sister. But I’m sure she will only want the best for her children, especially now that there’s already two.”

They got alerted when Lea suddenly move her head and let out a soft moan indicating that she’s awake, “Ate? Ate, kami ‘to. Papa and I are here.”

She’s regained her consciousness but she couldn’t open her eyes for a couple of minutes because everytime she tries, she gets blinded by the light from the ceiling. The rest of her body felt exhausted and numb, especially her left arm. Her throat felt dry too but she tried communicating with the people around her.

“Aya...” was the first word that came out from her mouth. “I-I need to see my daughter.”

“Lea, it’s okay. Aya will be here tomorrow. It’s just too late and she might be already sleeping right now.”

She finally opened her eyes and met her father’s gaze, “H-have you talked to Aga? I... I need to talk to him. I need to tell him that those drugs weren’t mine.” she tried getting up from her bed but failed because of the throbbing sensation she’s feeling on her arm. “A-aww... damn it!” she groaned.

“Lea, calm down!” saway ni Leo sa kanya. “Whatever you want to do right now, we will do it tomorrow. Kung gusto mo makausap si Aga, papupuntahin namin siya rito bukas na bukas! But for now, lay back down there and take a rest because your wound is still fresh. You are prone to infection, Lea, so please, be mindful of it.”

She laid back down and closed her eyes as couple of tears fell from them. She’s physically in pain but the emotional and mental ache she’s feeling is way worse than the wound in her arm, “P-please bring Aga here. I need to make things clear. I need to talk to him because... b-because I’m pregnant.” she sobbed as she moved her right hand to her tummy when she remembered what happened before she passed out. “How is my baby? Tell me... please tell me that my baby’s okay.”

“It’s okay, Ate. Safe kayong dalawa ng baby mo so huwag ka nang mag-alala, okay? Magpahinga ka lang at magpalakas.” Sarah told her. “Nagugutom ka ba? I can buy us food. May gusto ka bang pagkain?”

“Ako na ang bibili, Sarah. Bantayan mo na lang ang kapatid mo.” Leo volunteered. “Is there any particular food you want to eat?” he asked her.

Lea shook her head, “I’m still good, Pa. Kayo na lang.”

“Sigurado ka?” her father asked again. “Hindi rin gutom ‘yang anak mo?”

That was as if a bell that rang inside her head to remind her to be more mindful of the life she has inside her. She must admit that she was denial at first. Hindi niya matanggap-tanggap na may nabuo mula sa kasalanan na iyon. It made her hate herself more.

But she realized that she couldn’t blame it to her child. All of these was her fault— her and Aga’s.

“J-just get me anything.” she simply stated. Leo nodded and already took off to get them something to eat.

Lea carefully wandered her sight around the room as if looking for something— someone. She could not forget how Ian came earlier like her knight in shining armor. He was the last thing she saw before she lost her consciousness and he was probably the one who brought her here.

“He left about two hours ago.” Sarah caught her there. She looked at her sister and smiled weakly. Why did she even think that he’d stay and make sure she’s okay? He’s already done too much by just saving her from his brother. She could’ve gotten worse if Ian didn’t come. And the worse is being dead at this point. “Ano ba talaga nangyari sa’yo, Ate?” her sister asked.

She stared at the ceiling as she recalled everything that happened earlier. She didn’t know what happened to Aya but she hoped she’s okay by now. She also hoped that Aga has cleared his mind already and realized that she was telling the truth. She hoped he just became impulsive and didn’t mean what he did to her earlier. She knew where he was coming from but she was innocent and she didn’t deserve that.

And Brian. Lea wondered where he was and what happened to him after escaping from him. Was he already caught? Was he at the hospital too just like her? Ian took care of him but he wasn’t here to give her any news about him.

“It’s a long story, Sarah, and you wouldn’t want to hear it.” she answered. “Did Ian say something before he left?”

“Wala naman pero sabi niya may aasikasuhin lang daw siya.”

“Babalik ba siya?”

“Sa buhay mo? Hindi ko lang alam.” pang-aasar sa kanya ng kapatid kaya nasamaan niya ito ng tingin. Sarah grinned and was just thankful that Lea has an injured arm. Otherwise, she might have gotten slapped already. “Wala siyang sinabi, Ate, eh. Ikaw ba? Sa tingin mo dadalawin ka niya?”

“I personally think he won’t come and visit. I don’t think he’d still be able to look at me after knowing that I’m pregnant with Aga’s child.” she said and looked away. “Ayos na rin siguro ‘yun. Wala na rin naman akong mukhang maihaharap sa kanya.”

_______

Sarah was standing in the hospital’s hallway, in front of her sister’s room, while facing her phone. She’s been trying to reach out Aga because Lea wanted to talk to him and see Aya but he was not a answering. It’s past nine in the morning so she doesn’t think he is still asleep at this point.

She looked at the door when it opened revealing her father, “Hindi pa rin sumasagot?” Leo asked as quietly as possible to not wake Lea up. She’s still sleeping because of the high-dosage drugs injected to her earlier for her wound’s treatment.

“Wala, Papa, eh. Hindi ko alam kung bakit hindi siya sumasagot.” she answered and gave up after her last dial went unsuccessful again.

“What’s with him? Hindi naman siya ganito sa atin dati ha?”

Sarah shrugged and leaned against the wall. She hasn’t had a good sleep for she kept her sister company the whole night. She was closing her eyes when she thought of another way to contact Aga.

“I can call Jane. I have her number.” she told Leo.

“Do it. Itanong mo kung ayos lang ba ‘yung mag-ama.”

Sarah dialed Jane’s number and a couple of seconds later, she picked it up, “Hi, Jane! Itatanong ko lang sana kung nand’yan ka kina Kuya Aga? Are you with Aya?” she asked. She listened to her answer and her eyes went round with what she just heard. “What!? Kailan pa? Saan daw sila pupunta?”

Leo looked at his daughter when she suddenly freaked out. Sarah’s face looked confused and problematic which made him frown, “What is happening?” he could not help asking even though she hasn’t hung up the call yet.

She didn’t give her father an answer until her conversation with Jane ended, “P-pa, umalis daw si Kuya Aga.”

“Saan sila pumunta? And why do you look so flustered?”

“Kuya referred Jane to another employer because, according to her, he is not sure if they will still come back. Wala raw nabanggit kung saan sila pupunta pero sa ibang bansa raw.” Sarah answered and bit her lip in fright. Fright of how would her sister react to such news and what she might do about and because of it. She would surely get devastated.

“All of a sudden?!” Leo asked in disbelief. “Aga cannot do that! He cannot take Aya away from us! He cannot take Aya away from Lea!”

“Papa, I-I’m afraid that Ate might not see her daughter anymore.”

_______

On the other hand, Aya was sitting on an airport seat beside her father. She’s seen airplanes come and go from where she is so she knew that any minute from now, they’re gonna hop in one of those. Everything is still vague to an eight-year-old but one thing’s for sure, they are leaving.

“Babe, are you okay?” Aga asked his daughter for she has been spacing out since she woke up. That’s one thing that worries him about his daughter. Each time he asked her about what happened last night, Aya couldn’t give her a clear answer.

“Daddy, where are we going?”

“We’re going to visit Lola. Do you like that? You’re going to see Lola again.”

Aya nodded, “But we’re still going back here, right? I will still see Mommy? How was she anyway? Is she okay? That bad guy hurt her!”

“Who?” he asked with a frown. Lea was indeed in a terrible state last night but he didn’t know what happened to her, or who did that to her. All he has in mind is his unconscious daughter that he didn’t care for any thing else. “Aya, can you tell Daddy about what really happened last night? Who hurt who? Did your Mom hurt you?”

“It wa—”

“Aga?” he looked behind her to see who called him. To Aga’s surprise, it’s his cheater ex-girlfriend. “Hey! You’re here. Where are you off to?”

“What are you doing here?”

“I have a flight today, isn’t that obvious?” Yari asked and smiled at Aya. “Hello, baby girl! I miss you!”

Normally, Aya would jumped off her seat to welcome her Tita Yari. She doesn’t know about their breakup yet so Aga’s expecting nothing would change between Aya and Yari’s relationship. But his daughter suddenly became aloof toward her. She held onto her father’s arm tightly as if she saw something scary.

“Hey, what’s happening? It’s just Tita Yari.” he asked for he was surprised with such actions from his daughter. Aya just shook her head as a response and buried her face on her Dad’s arm.

“Maybe, she’s just not in the mood.” Yari said and sat beside him. “So, where are you going?” she asked casually as if everything was okay between her and Aga.

“We’re going to Mom.”

“In Los Angeles? Oh, how awesome it is because I’m flying there too.” Yari answered making him frown. What a coincidence that was indeed. “I miss Tita so much. Can I come with you? We might be in the same flight too.”

He smirked, “You would be the last thing Mama would want to see once she knew what you did to me.”

He heard her heave a deep breath, “I’m really sorry. I cannot apologize enough for it but I am deeply sorry, Aga. Can we settle this once we get there? We haven’t talked about it that much and I personally think we should... for a closure perhaps?”

“I don’t know, Yari. Basta ang alam ko, tapos na tayo.”

“I understand.” was Yari’s last response before their flight got called. They are indeed in the same flight with their seats having just a few distance which Aga find very eerie. Kung hindi niya lang kilala si Yari, iisipin niyang sinadya niya ito.

“Daddy... D-daddy.” Aya quietly called her Dad while poking his arm.

“Yes? You need something, babe? Just tell me if you want something, okay? The flight will be long.”

“I need to tell you something, Dad.”

“Sure. What is it?” pinalapit siya ni Aya tsaka may binulong sa tainga niya. His forehead wrinkled upon hearing what his daughter told him. “Aya, are you sure? You know how I hate liars.”

“It’s true, Daddy. I’m telling the truth.”

He looked at Yari on the other side who was comfortably reading a magazine on her seat. He’s known her for so long and he doesn’t think she would be able to do those things that his daughter just told him. But why would Aya make such stories if those weren’t real?

“Yari, did you come to our house last night?” he confronted her. He needs to know the answer because if ever those are true, they need to hop out of this plane as soon as possible. He would owe Lea one heck of an apology.

“No. Why?”

“Aya said you did and you sort of got her out of the house. Ayaw mo raw siya pakawalan kahit na gusto na niyang bumalik sa loob ng bahay kasi baka hanapin na siya ng Mommy niya.”

“What?!” Yari exclaimed, startled. “Where did that story come from? Aya, baby, who told you such lie?”

Aga diverted his gaze on Aya and observed her reaction, “I’m not lying!”

“Aga, look, I didn’t know what was she talking about but I was just in my condo last night probably sleeping.” Yari defended herself. “Isa pa, bakit naman ako pupunta sa bahay niyo lalo pa’t alam ko na galit ka sa’kin? You didn’t want to see me, you said that to my face so why would I even bother?”

He looked at the two interchangeably, weighing who he should believe. Yari made more sense to him, but if that’s the case, why did Aya tell her those things?

“Excuse me, Sir.” a cabin crew interrupted his thoughts. “Please make sure po that your little girl has fasten her seatbelt. The Captain has turned on the fasten your seatbelt sign and we’re about to take off in a few na po.”

“Okay. Thank you, Miss.” he thanked the crew and fasten Aya’s seatbelt. He looked at his daughter and her stares back at him were pleading. “It’s going to be okay. No one’s going to harm you from now on.”

________

Still outside Lea’s hospital room were Sarah and Leo who were trying to figure out how to solve the dilemma they just received. Lea was still sleeping but they knew that anytime soon, she would already wake up and look for her daughter.

“Papa, what will we do?” Sarah asked worriedly while walking back and forth.

“Do you have Aga’s sister’s number?”

“Wala. Hindi naman kami close n’on eh.” she said. “But I can try to go to her and ask her about Kuya Aga. I’m sure she knows where her brother is going.”

“Sige, puntahan mo si Dawn. Make sure you are going to get an answer from her!”

“I’ll get going na po.” Sarah said before leaving her father there. Leo remained sitting there for he’s afraid to enter Lea’s room. He’s afraid of telling her about what’s happening.

He was too preoccupied to notice that Ian was already standing in front of him, “Tito?” Ian snapped him back to reality. “Okay lang po kayo?”

“Oh, Ian, nand’yan ka pala.” he said, feeling a little embarrassed. “Lea is still sleeping inside.”

“Gan’on po ba? Can I wait here? May kailangan po kasi kaming pag-usapan.”

“Of course, of course. You can go inside, it’s more comfortable waiting there.”

“Kayo po?”

“Don’t mind me. I’ll be fine here.”

Ian just nodded and entered Lea’s hospital room. He closed the door and stood beside her bed. Seeing her state made him regret that he didn’t bring her any thing. He should have convinced his self harder to bring her flowers while on his way to the hospital; but he wouldn’t want anyone to think that he is still romantically into her. Even though he is still indeed.

He gently caressed her cheek and stared at her face. How he missed the little things her and the little things they used to do. He slowly leaned forward and gave her a long peck on the forehead, silently wishing her to be fine.

Ian stepped back when Lea suddenly moved. He thought he woke her up because she slightly opened her eyes and glanced at him. Her eyes looked so drowsy, might be the reason why she closed them again.

“Oh, crap!” she softly uttered that startled Ian. He thought she’s going back to sleep. “Why do I keep dreaming about you? Is this what the anesthetics effect on me?” she continued talking to her sleep.

He held his giggles and secretly smiled with what he just heard. He sat on the sofa while keeping his eyes on her, waiting for her to get to her full consciousness. Although he somehow liked her in that un-sobered state. He wanted to hear more of her dreams which happened to be him.

The anesthetics that were given to her last night have slowly go off causing Lea to feel a little more pain from her wound. Nagising siya dahil sa kirot ng braso niya. She wandered her sight around the room when she didn’t find either of her father or her sister. She thought she doesn’t have any company in the room until her gaze landed on the man sitting on the couch.

“I-Ian?”

Ian stood up and went near her again, “Do you need anything? Should I call your doctor?”

“What are you doing here?” she asked instead of answering his questions. “Where’s my family?”

“I don’t know where Sarah is but Tito is just sitting outside.” he said. “And I’m here because I need to talk to you about Brian.”

“W-why? What’s with him again?”

“You don’t need to worry about him anymore. Nasa kustodiya na siya ng pulis at nakapagsampa na rin ako ng kaso. But my lawyer said it would be much better if you state your testimony too. Mas mapapalakas n’on ang kaso.”

Lea nodded her head in an instant, “I’ll do that. I’ll testify.”

“Just tell me once you are ready to give it. Hindi ko na muna pinapunta ang mga pulis dito kasi nagpapagaling ka pa— kayo ng baby mo.”

She looked away when he mentioned her baby. She felt embarrassed and awkward knowing that she’s facing the man who she cheated on. And the worse part, he’s there knowing that she’s bearing the fruit of that sin.

“Thank you for your help and I’m sorry.”

“Stop being sorry. You don’t owe me an apology anymore. Just get better.” he said. “Alam na ba ni Aga?”

“I don’t think so. We haven’t talked since last night.”

“You should tell him. I bet Aya would be veey happy to be a sister.” he said and managed to smile at her. “Aalis na rin ako. Just call me once you are ready to give your testimony.”

He’s about to walk away when Lea held her hand. He looked at her, asking why.

“Thank you and I’m sorry for everything.” she said before she slowly let go of his hand— and of Ian himself. It’s about time, she thought. She knew it’s finally over this time. When he exited her room, couple of tears has been freed from her eyes. Her arm hurts and so does her heart.

Ian heaved a deep breath to ease the the tightening sensation he suddenly felt on his chest. He hopes this is already their last goodbye because he doesn’t think he can still endure another one. It never gets easier nor gets less painful.

“Come back here and I will be the one who will go there! Ako ang kakausap kay Dawn!” he got startled when he heard Leo blurting those words out. He’s talking to someone over the phone and he looks mad as he harshly puts it down.

“Is everything okay, Tito?” he asked him.

“Aga left with Aya and we didn’t know where he took Lea’s daughter!”

“What?!” Ian exclaimed. “Why would he do that? They left all of a sudden?”

“I don’t know what’s gotten to his head but I am very very mad right now!” Leo said and it is very transparent to his face how angry he is. “Can you stay here for a while with Lea? Just until Sarah comes back. I need to figure this out because I am not ready to see my own daughter get devastated by this news!”

Ian agreed to stay and didn’t leave the hospital even when Sarah arrived. He couldn’t imagine how would Lea feel and react once she knew that Aga took Aya somewhere they don’t know. He just wanted to be there for her. They both keep her company although the two of them didn’t share much conversation. What’s left to talk about between two ex-lovers anyway?

“Sars,” she softly called her sister. “Have you heard anything from Aga? How’s Aya?”

“Uhm,” Sarah hesitated what to answer. “A-Aya’s fine. They’re fine.” she lied.

“That’s good to hear.” Lea said in relief. “Have you told Aga that I wanted to talk to him? Are they on their way here?”

Sarah struggled to think of an alibi, good thing that she was saved by the bell when the door opened revealing their father. They looked at each other and by the look on Leo’s face, she already knew it’s bad. They were left with no choice but to tell her the truth.

“Lea, there’s something we need to tell you.” he started. “But I need you to be calm as much as possible.”

Her father’s words obviously tell her that something isn’t right, “What happened?” she asked and looked at everyone. “W-why? What’s wrong?”

“Aga left with Aya.”

“W-where did they go?” she asked again. “Babalik pa naman sila, ‘di ba? They’re going to come back, right?”

“We don’t know anything at this point. Aga did not inform us and whenever we try to reach him out, he’s not answering.”

“A-anong hindi niyo alam?” Lea asked and tried to get up despite the pain in her arm. Sarah tried to get her back down to her bed but she wouldn’t budge. “Aga just took off with my daughter without any word!?”

Tears started falling from her eyes as she remembered the last thing that Aga told her last night. She thought he was just taken away by his emotions and didn’t mean to say those things. He’s taking her daughter away from her and she’s afraid she may never get to see Aya again.

“I-I need to see Aya... I need to see my daughter.” she said and sat up on her bed. Bagaman nakaramdam siya ng matinding hilo ay pinilit niya pa ring makatayo.

“Lea, what are you doing? Lay down back there!” Leo said.

“I need to leave here! I-I need to find my daughter! Aga can’t do this to me, Papa... Not again!” she cried and tried to stand up but her father made her sit again.

“No! You are going to stay here and rest!”

“You don’t understand me!” she shouted. “If I don’t make myself clear to Aga right now, I might may never see my daughter anymore! So, please... just let me!”

She was moving too carelessly that her wound started bleeding again. There were already blood stains on her arm sling but she didn’t seem to care about that. She stood up but she couldn’t walk any farther because of the IV line. Lea immediately and incautiously removed it causing her hand to bleed as well. That was a surprise to her family and Ian.

Leo signalled Ian to call for an assistance to which the latter did. Even before Lea can leave her room, a couple of nurse came inside stopping her to do so.

“Ma’am, you need to stay still po. Kailangan po naming linisin ulit ‘yung sugat niyo at magkabit ng panibagong IV line.”

“L-let me leave, please.”

“Hindi po puwede, Ma’am. Hindi pa po kayo advised na makalabas ngayon.” one of the two nurses said and was about to inject a drug on her but she pushed her away and headed to the door.

Akala niya ay tuluyan na siyang makakalabas pero biglang humarang si Ian sa pintuan. She looked at him with her eyes begging, “Ian... please.”

He knew how hard this was for her but as someone who could think more critically than her right now, he believed Lea need to stay because of her condition. “I’m sorry.”

The nurses successfully injected into her the anesthetics she needed causing her to feel weak. Sinalo siya ni Ian nang unti-unti siyang mawalan nang malay tsaka ibinalik sa kanyang kama. A tear managed to escape from Lea’s eyes even though she already has lost a part of her consciousness. Her whole body may numb but her mind will always remember that excruciating pain her heart is feeling.

_______

“Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday, happy birthday, happy birthday to you!” Aga and Agatha broke to that song while holding a cake as they entered Aya’s room. The now nine-year-old kid was just sitting on her bed, looking not happy at all. “Blow your candles now, sweetheart.” her grandmother told her.

Aya sighed and lamely blew the candles off. Not even a twitch in her lips is seen on her face, “Aren’t you happy? It’s your birthday, babe.” Aga said.

“I wanna go home,” deretsang saad nito. “You told me we’ll go home before my birthday comes just so I can celebrate it with my friends. I want to see Mommy! I’m supposed to be with her today!” she wailed.

“Aya, baby,” Aga said as he put the cake down on the bedside table and sat on the edge of her bed. “I’m sorry but we can’t go home today nor anytime soon. We can’t fly because the weather is terrible today.” he lied.

“Then when are we going home?!”

“Soon. If it’s already safe to travel.”

“When exactly?”

“Maybe, a week from now?”

“Promise?” Aya innocently asked.

Aga hesitated but he later gave his daughter a nod, “But for now, get up from bed first and freshen up. Lola and I will wait for you downstairs, okay?” he said and kissed Aya’s forehead. “Happy birthday and I love you.”

He and Agatha went out of her room, sighing, “You know that you can’t lie to her forever, don’t you?” his mother confronted him. “Your daughter is a smart kid. Once she knew that you are just lying to her, she’s going to hate you.”

“I just need a little time, Ma.” he said. “I just need to convince her that living here is way better than living in Manila. In that way, maybe, she will no longer look for the life we had back there.”

“But how about Lea? Do you think she’ll easily forget about her Mom?”

“Lea has just been with her for almost a year. Those moments can be erased from a kid’s mind.”

Agatha looked at him with a displeased look, “I don’t think so, but I hope this won’t ruin your relationship with your daughter.”

_______

Sarah has just gotten back from a graveyard shift when she found Lea sitting in front of their grand piano. It’s been a month since she got discharged but her arm was still on its recovery. She was looking at the blank space but her one hand was pressing every tile of the piano which filled their home with a melancholic sound. Looking at her, one would think she has already lost her sanity.

If it’s just not for her sixteen-week baby, she would have already lost it all.

“Hi, Ate! Nandito na ‘ko.” she greeted her and kissed her head. That act stopped Lea from what she was doing and pulled her back to her senses. “Have you taken a morning walk? Healthy sa mga buntis ang naglalakad lakad lalo na sa umaga. Gusto mo samahan kita? Let’s take a walk around the village.”

She looked at Sarah with a faint smile, “Galing ka sa trabaho at alam kong puyat at pagod ka. Take a rest and sleep so you’ll have enough energy for your next duty. I’ll be just fine here.”

“Kumain ka na ba? Kain tayo, Ate. Gutom ako eh.” she said to which Lea gladly agreed to. She wanted to keep her sister as much company as possible because for the past weeks, she barely communicated with any of them.

Lea missed Aya so much and it’s evident in her swollen eyes every morning when she wakes up. She feels too much pain and longing that the only way to temporarily escape them is to sleep. But for her to do that, she has to pour those feelings out by crying and crying. It has become her routine since Aya left.

“How’s work?” she managed to ask her sister.

“Ayos naman, Ate. Nakakapagod as usual pero fulfilling naman lalo na kung mahal mo ‘yung ginagawa mo.”

Lea smiled, “That’s right. You don’t get tired when you are passionate with what you do.” she said and watched her little sister devour her breakfast. Sarah even asked her to join her but she declined for she has just finished hers.

She was almost done eating when the doorbell suddenly rang, “I’ll get that.”

“No, ako na.” Lea insisted.

“Ako na, Ate. Baka mapagod ka pa sa paglalakad.”

“Didn’t you just tell me that it’s good for pregnant women to take a walk from time to time?” she cornered her sister there. “So, just let me, okay?”

Wala naman nang ibang nagawa si Sarah kundi hayaan na lang ang kapatid. Lea headed to their gate and welcomed their unexpected visitor, “Ian, ikaw pala. Good morning.” she greeted her ex-boyfriend as she let him in.

“Hi, good morning. Nand’yan ba si Tito? He asked me to come kasi.”

“Oh, about that. Papa left early this morning to go to the farm but he told me that if ever you come, if you could wait a little longer, please wait for him daw. He will just be quick.”

“Gan’on ba?” he asked. “Well, if it’s okay to you, then I can wait for him.”

Lea’s lips formed a small smile and invited him inside their house. Sarah was thrilled to see Ian today although felt a little awkward seeing them together again.

“Ate, I’ll go upstairs and rest na ha? May kasama ka naman na rito. Kuya, huwag mo iwan si Ate ko mag-isa ha?” Sarah said making her eyes go round. She thought that was embarrassing but Ian replied with a smile.

“Okay, I won’t.”

“No, little miss, I need you to come back here for a while and help me clean my wound. Help me, Nurse Sarah.”

“Kuya Ian, help her daw. Madali lang naman ‘yun, kaya niyo ng dalawang ‘yan.” Sarah said and finally walked upstairs, leaving the two ex-lovers. Upset, Lea tried calling her but her sister didn’t mind.

“So where’s your first aid kit?” Ian asked.

“Huh?”

“I thought you need a hand to clean your wound? I’m not a medical professional but I can still help you.”

“Oh,” she hesitated because she thought it’s inappropriate to ask their visitor to do such thing. It did not also help that he’s her ex. “Okay. I’ll just get it.” but she still accept the help in the end.

She got the kit and came back shortly. They sat beside each other as Ian helped her remove her arm sling and the gauze of her wound. Lea felt a little sting at that moment that made her bit her lower lip.

“I’m sorry.” he apologized as he started cleaning her wound for he knew it’s hurting her.

“No, it’s okay. It’s bearable naman.”

“It was really deep huh? It will surely leave a mark.”

“Yeah, I still have a long way to go. Doctor said I need a physical therapy once the wound heals for my arm to get back to normal. Pero ayos lang. Na-experience ko rin naman manaksak, hindi lang masaksak.” she managed to crack a joke and smiled. “Thank you nga pala for helping me with the whole case and stuffs... you know, even though Brian is your brother.”

“Justice must be served to everbody. I just did what I must do.” Ian answered and applied the necessary medicament on her wound. “How are you na nga pala? Bukod sa one non-functioning limb mo?”

“Still trying my best to keep my baby safe and healthy. Iyon lang naman ang importante sa’kin sa ngayon.”

“How about your self?” he asked again. “The baby can’t be completely okay if the mommy isn’t.”

“Me?” tanong niya hindi para kay Ian kundi para sa sarili niya. Kumusta na nga ba siya? She’s been looking for the right words to answer that question. “I don’t know. I cannot totally feel any thing right now.”

“You haven’t heard anything from Aga until now?”

She sighed, “We initially assumed that they might be in LA because that’s where his Mom lives. Papa even went there to personally look for them but he wasn’t obviously successfully. If we’re playing hide and seek, he’s nailing being the hider. It seems like he’s really working hard for me not to find them.” she said with a cracking tone. “But, you know what? It’s okay. I realize it’s okay.”

“What?” Ian asked, surprised when her tone suddenly changed to being firm. She’s not saying that she’s okay being away with her daughter, is she?

“If he doesn’t want me to know where my child is, then he can never know about his child either.”

_______

“One last, hard push, Lea. One more push and then he’ll be out!” her OB instructed her as she laid there on the delivery room, sweating. Nine months of pregnancy have come so quickly and eight hours ago, she started feeling contractions while finally led her to her labor. “On my count... 1, 2, 3!”

She screamed so hard as she gave her best push. She felt so weak that she felt like she could no longer do another push. Well, she no longer needs to do another one because the doctor is already holding her healthy baby boy. She cried in happiness and relief when she heard her son’s first cry. The doctor placed him on her chest where she got to cradle her for the first time.

Hours of labor and the pain of delivering her baby all paid off when she saw his face. It was a face of an angel which suits him his name very well— Sky Lawrence.

Matapos hagkan ang anak sa unang pagkakataon ay nakatulog si Lea. Muli lamang siyang nagising matapos ang halos dalawang oras. The mother instincts in her seemed to instantly worked because when she woke, a nurse was already there to give her baby to her for his first breastfeed.

“Awee, he is so cute!” Sarah exclaimed upon seeing her nephew.

Lea was smiling while staring at her son. For the first time in a year, someone has poured some love on her empty and longing heart. Someone who reminded her that she’s still a mother and no one can take that away from her.

“He is so precious just like you. Congratulations, anak!” Leo told her.

“Thank you, Pa.” she replied with tears forming in her eyes as Sky’s little hand wrapped around her forefinger. He’s her gem indeed. “No one’s gonna take you away from me, little one. Hindi na ako papayag.”

The rest of her day was spent with her newborn baby even though all that Sky did was just sleep, if not breastfeeding on her. His mother was just there, staring at him and adoring him the whole time. Sarah offered her some fruit to take while their father went home to get the soup he has asked their maid to cook for Lea.

“Ate, baka matunaw naman.” she jested for her sister could not really take his eyes off her newborn.

“I just want to cherish this moment. I wasn’t able to do much of this with Aya.” she answered and smiled sadly just by merely thinking of her daughter. She missed Aya everyday and she knew she would be happy to see her little brother too. “This makes me feel like a mother again.”

_______

Three years after their move to Los Angeles, Aga was able to live a new life for him and Aya. New and different to an extent that’s very distinguishable from the old one. The changes were rapid and big that he sometimes found himself thinking how all of those happened.

He’s on his way to Aya’s school because he’s been called by the guidance counselor again. Hindi pa man siya nakakarating doon ay tila alam na niya kung bakit. His daughter did something again— it’s either she hit one of her classmates again or she failed her exam.

“Good morning, Mr. Muhlach!” the counselor greeted him with a handshake. “I know you are a busy person so thank you for coming today.”

“It’s no big deal, Miss Florence.” he replied. “What did my daughter do this time? Did she hurt her classmate again?”

“No, not this time.” she answered. “I’m here to talk to you about Aya’s performance in her class. Your daughter is not doing well in all of her subjects. Just lately, her exam has shown a D, if not a total F mark, and it’s not good. We only have two months before we close the semester and we’re afraid that if she won’t do this right, we might not let her move up to seventh grade.”

“What?” worryingly, he asked. Aya never had an F mark, it was mostly an A. Her lowest would be a B minus but for the past year, she started having low marks. “H-How did this happen? She’s got a lot of tutors, how can she still fail at class?”

“That’s a question you yourself should answer, Mr. Muhlach. Do you, as a family, have a problem at home? Because it can be a factor.”

“We’re fine at home.” Aga said and sighed exasperatedly. “Can’t we do anything for her not to get left behind? I really want my daughter to pass.”

“Well, we’ll be giving her learning tasks to do to made up for all of her failing subjects. Aside from that, we’ll also give her one major exam. If she will be able to pass all of those requirements, then she’ll move up together with her classmates. But if she still fail, then she has to repeat sixth grade.”

After discussing and hearing all the conditions from the counselor, he immediately went home where he was welcomed by his daughter who was casually sitting on their living room.

“Aya, can we talk?”

“Sure. About what?” three years was just added to her age but the way she talk and act has become more mature and somewhat disrespectful. “What did Miss Florence tell you?”

“She said that you may have to repeat sixth grade if you will continue to have a failing mark.” he explained as calm as he could. “Anak, do you have a problem? You never failed your class, what is happening? Whatever it is, you can always tell me.”

“Would you resolve it if I tell you?”

“Of course. I’d do everything to resolve whatever issues you have.”

“Then take me back to Manila, Dad.” she said to which Aga caught off guard. He forgot to say except that. He’d do everything to resolve his daughter’s issues except taking her back to Manila. “I don’t want to study here anymore. I’m not comfortable here. I don’t have good friends here.”

“But your life is better here.”

“This is not how I define better!” she exclaimed. “I miss my friends back there. I miss our home there. And I miss... I miss Mom.”

Aga heaved a deep breath. There they go again with this conversation, “Aya, no, we are staying here. We are not going anywhere but here. Please, huwag ng matigas ang ulo mo.” he told her. “You don’t want to get left behind, do you? So fix your grades and we’ll all be good.”

“I won’t. Unless you return me to Manila.”

“What did you just say?” he asked sternly out of surprise. This is the first time Aya gave her that ultimatum. From a freaking 12-year-old. “You’re being stubborn just because you couldn’t get what you want? I didn’t raise you to be like this, Shaniah!”

“How am I supposed to obey you when you couldn’t even keep your promises? You promised me that we’ll go home but we never did. It’s been three years, Dad, and I’m like waiting for nothing here!” she exclaimed as a tear fell from her eye. “I want to be with Mommy again but I felt like you are depriving me of that. So, no, I won’t pass my class unless you let me go back to Manila.”

“At sinong tinakot mo?” Aga fought back. “I am still your father, Shaniah, and you will obey everything as I say. And if I say we are staying here, we are staying here! I will never take you back to Manila. Not again. Most especially, not to you mother!”

Aya cried as her hands turned into fists, “I hate you, Daddy! I hate you so much!” she shouted and ran to her room. Aga thought that was just one of their fights as father and daughter. He didn’t know that that would be the last time that Aya will call him Daddy.

______

“Mama, I’m ready!” her two-year-old son exclaimed as soon as he reach his Mama’s place.

“Oh, look at you! My baby is very handsome.” she said and pinched Sky’s cheek. “Shall we go now?”

Sky excitedly nodded before they headed outside. They are off to their village’s playground for Sky to play with several kids as well as for their bond. She makes sure that once in a while, she’s having a quality time with her son.

After making sure the gate is safely closed, she held Sky’s hand and was about to leave when a car parked in front of them. The car was familiar to Lea but she didn’t know what was its owner doing here. Again.

“Papa!” Sky exclaimed when Ian went out of the car. He ran to him where Ian welcomed and carried him.

“Hi, there, big boy!” he said and messed his hair. He then looked at Lea and smiled. “Hi!”

She replied with a smile as well, “Hi,” she said and gave Ian a beso. “What are you doing here?”

“Well, I just thought of visiting you. Are you off to somewhere? Nakakaistorbo ba ako sa inyong mag-ina?”

“Mama’s taking me to playground, Papa. Can you come with us? Let’s play together!” Sky exhilaratingly said.

“Sky, didn’t I tell you that Tito Ian is not your Papa?” Lea reminded her son. She felt embarrassed that Ian’s being addressed that way by her son knowing whose child he is and the bad history they all shared. But at certain point, she has to understand that he is starting to look for a father figure and it’s a shame that she couldn’t tell him where his real father is.

“If he’s not my Papa, then why do I always see him?” Sky reasoned out which was smart. “I can call you Papa, right, Papa? Can I?”

“Sky—”

“Sure, you can. Call me Papa as long as you want.” Ian answered willingly. Lea looked at him and he just mouthed it’s okay to her. “So, can I come with you?”

He joined them in most of the activities Sky wanted to do as well as helped Lea in looking out for her son. Sky didn’t feel like just one kid. The way he exhaust his Mama and Papa felt like ten strenuous children running here and there.

“Here, Lea.” Ian said as he handed her a bottle of water.

“Thanks, Sir,” she replied nonchalantly and accepted the offer. She did not realize she called him in his former endearment till she just felt his gaze at her. She gulped in shame and could not almost look at him. “I-I meant, Sir as the honorific, not your old endearment.” she explained and immediately opened the bottle of water just so she can drink it already. It’s as if the water can make her feel less embarrassed.

“It’s okay,” Ian said with a sweet smile. “Misis.”

Now, Lea has to stop drinking the water because she would either spit it out or choke on it if she won’t. She must admit that she felt nostalgic being addressed that way again after a long while.

No, she and Ian did not get back together. They even lost communication for over a year. She got busy with her son and he got busy with his personal stuffs. But about four months ago, they accidentally bumped into each other in a grocery store. Since then, they kept in touch again as if they weren’t exes.

It’s funny because she thought they have separated ways after their breakup. She thought a year of not hearing any news from each other is already an indication that they are forgetting each other. But it now feels like they are being drawn back together again.

“I’m sorry. Did I make you uncomfortable?” Ian apologized when Lea went quiet.

“No, not all. I’m fine.” she said and smiled. “It’s just... It’s been a long while.”

“Yeah,” he concurred. “I actually kind-of missed it.”

Which? The endearment or me? Lea thought but did not bother to blurt out. She doesn’t want him to think she’s still into him. Instead, she looked at him with a teasing smile, “Do you?”

He looked away while she continued looking at him, “For the last two years, I thought I have successfully gotten over you. I tried dating several women again but none of them worked out. I didn’t know why but I seemed to look for something that they don’t have. Maybe because my last relationship was so great that I’m looking for something as exactly as that.” he paused for a while and looked at her, hoping Lea knew that he was referring to her.

“That’s unfair to the girl’s part.” she commented.

“I know. That’s why I didn’t push it. I remained single.” he said. “Then, we met again four months ago. I thought that was just okay since we were civil to each other but since then, I don’t know... I’ve been thinking about you.”

“Oh, so you were referring to our relationship?” startled, she asked and chuckled after. “Obviously, I didn’t realize the sooner but okay, that was a great speech. But if you just made up all of that because your current girlfriend cheated on you or whatever, then nevermind because I am so over it.”

“No, Lea, I am serious.” he said to his defense. “I know it’s been years and this may be too late for this already but if you would let me, Lea, I want to try again with you.”

She was speechless for a moment as she processed what she just heard, as well as remembering everything that happened between them, “Before we go to that topic, I just want to remind you that I have a son.”

“I already know that and I can assure you that I can and I will treat Sky like my own child.”

“And, by the way, his father is the man who I cheated on you with.” she puts that thing in Ian’s mind again. “Can you really do that? Can you really look at my son without seeing me cheating on you and the whole thing?” she asked. She knew he hesitated because he was not able to answer abruptly. “Well, until you have that figure out, I won’t consider it. Because if ever I want to date anyone again, I want that someone to love and accept my child as much he does to me. If he cannot do that, then I’m sorry because I would never trade my son for anything and anyone else.”

________

“Happy Birthday!!!” that was the remark that welcomed Lea as soon as she entered their home. Her mouth formed an ‘O’ and her eyes glittered in surprise with everything that’s in front of her. The people who matter most to her were all there with balloons and party poppers. She would have not asked for more if only her daughter was there too. Not just on her birthdays but almost everyday, she’s wishing to see Aya again.

“You are so sweet!” she squealed. “Thank you, guys! Thank you!”

Sky went nearer to her to give her the bouquet of flowers which was bigger than him, “Happy Birthday, Mama!”

“Oh, sweetie, thank you!” her heart melted with such gesture from her son. She got the bouquet for she could see how Sky struggle to hold it. “Mama loves you.”

“Sky loves Mama too.”

Lea giggled and gave her son sweet kisses. She then headed to where the rest is. She’s so glad that Regine and Vice were here today because she hasn’t seen them in a while, although they were in touch.

A few hours after their celebratory lunch, Ian arrived with a bouquet of flowers and a present for her, “I’m sorry I’m late. There’s just a lot going on at the cafe so I couldn’t leave sooner.” he explained after giving Lea a kiss on the cheek.

“Oh, it’s okay. My birthday isn’t over yet so the celebration is still pretty much on going.”

“Happy Birthday!”

Lea smiled as she accepted the bouquet he offered, “Thank you.” was all that she could say. “Let’s get in. Vice and Regine are here and I’m sure they’d be so happy to see you.”

“Ikaw ba?” he asked while they were heading inside.

“Anong ako?”

“Masaya na makita rin ako?”

“Oo naman.” she tried to hide her face from him after that direct answer but her smile alone was enough for Ian. Things are still not official again between the two of them but they knew that they have that mutual understanding— feelings toward each other. “So uhm, just stay here with my son and I’m getting you something to eat. I’ll be right back.” she said and hurried to the kitchen where Regine and Vice followed her.

“Kayo na ulit ng Sir mo?” pang-uusisa ng dalawa sa kanya.

“No. We’re not.” she answered.

“That’s not what your smile told us earlier.”

Lea puts down the plate she was holding and looked at her friends, “At least, not yet?”

“So papunta na r’on?” tanong ni Vice. “Well, in fairness to him, he seemed to be fond of Sky even though he knew he’s Aga’s child.” he added that made her glance at him. Vice was looking at somewhere so she followed his eyes’ direction which lead her to seeing Ian playing with her son. That scene made her heart leap.

“Do you think he’s genuine to Sky?” she suddenly asked which got Regine and Vice’s attention.

“You’re doubting Ian?”

“I’m just making sure that my son will get treated well just in case by the man I love. You know that Sky’s welfare is my top priority so I want to make sure that Ian is genuinely happy with him before we start over again.” she pointed her feelings out.

“You have a point but from how I see it, the man’s very genuine to your son, Lea. Because if that is not genuineness, then what is?” Regine said.

Lea watched them for a little while. Sky has been very comfortable around Ian and the same goes with Ian establishing that good relationship between him and her son. He’s worked so hard for it but not to the point that he’s forcing it. Perhaps, Regine is right. Ian is really willing to be part of Sky’s life.

Later that day, the two had some conversation alone. It was already dark and Regine and Vice have said their goodbyes couple of hours ago. Lea had to put Sky in bed already since he started feeling sleepy. Sarah’s at work and Leo has some business to do. That left Ian and Lea alone together.

“Well, if you ever need a co-parent, I’m available.” he jested when she was telling him stories about how stubborn Sky can get.

“I’ll consider.” she returned and chuckled. “But thank you for making an effort to make my son happy. That means a lot to me.”

“It’s nothing, Lea. Sky’s very adorable.” he said. “And you are right, he’s the fruit of that sinful and painful past, but it’s been three years. We’ll all moved on, we’ve forgiven each other, we’re okay. And besides, he didn’t know anything about that. He shouldn’t be blamed for something he didn’t take part in.” he said that warmth Lea’s heart. “If you would let me, Lea, I can be a father to Sky without seeing that past in him. It’s hard to not love your son. Every time he calls me Papa, I find myself wishing to be his real father. I adore Sky as much as I adore you. And I love him as much as I love his mother.”

She’s looking straight in his eyes and the sincerity is very clear. She smiled, “Well, I guess, he loves his Papa very much too that he wants you to live with us already.” she said and laughed softly. “I don’t know how I still deserve you after everything that happened but I’m very happy that you are here right in front of me. You put me in a somehow good place and you keep intact. Thank you for making me happy as well.” she looked down as she shyly say, “And I love you too.”

“W-what?”

She looked up to him again, “Do you want me to repeat everything that I just said?”

“No, just the last part. The very last one.”

Lea grinned, “You know what? It’s getting dark, you should go home.” she said and walked to their kitchen.

Ian immediately followed him, “I won’t go home unless you say it again, Lea. I just need to hear it again.”

“I won’t repeat anything. You heard it once, that’s already it.” she said and closed the fridge after putting back the pitcher of water inside. She turned around just to be welcome by Ian’s gorgeous face a few centimeters away from hers. That caused her to gulp. “T-there aren’t enough spaces in here, a-re there?”

“Are you going to say those words again or I will kiss you?”

She hasn’t backed out from any challenges yet, in fact, she makes it more exciting, “Why not just do both?”

Ian failed not to smile after hearing that. God’s blessings really come unexpectedly, “That sounds better. Maayos ka naman pala kausap.”

He slowly closed the gap between them until he finally claimed her lips. Lea closed her eyes when he felt his soft lips pressed and brushed against hers. She missed it, she missed him. Ian held her back to push her closer, as if they weren’t closed enough, while Lea held his arms for support. His kisses felt like a poison that slowly melted her down.

He nibbled her lower lip before finally pulling off from the kiss. They looked at each other and smiled, “And I love you too.”

_______

Aya has crawled under the bed and every part of the floor, opened every cabinet and drawer she saw, and checked all the bags and pockets inside Aga’s room but she still didn’t find her passport. She’s starting to believe that her father made a secret door in his room and hid it there. As she grows up and gets more aware of the things around her, Aya has realized and decided that if her Dad won’t take her home, she’ll take herself to Manila. But she needs a passport in order to do that which she, unfortunately, couldn’t find.

“There you are!” napatayo siya sa kinasasalpakan niya nang marinig ang boses ng Lola niya. “Kanina pa kita hinahanap nandito ka lang pala sa kuwarto ng Daddy mo. What are you doing here?”

She thought of an alibi because can’t just say she was looking for her passport, “I-I was just checking if I lost my favorite my pen here.” she lied and gulped in nervousness. She’s still lucky that it was Agatha who saw her there. If it was Aga, she might have already received a good nagging. “Why were you looking for me, Lola?”

“I don’t know with your Dad but he said he needed to talk to us downstairs.”

She frowned but went downstairs anyway where Aga and Yari are waiting in the living room. They don’t usually have family meetings like this so she wonders what’s with her Dad. Although the fact that he’s with Yari is a sore in her eyes.

“Ma, Aya, Yari and I just wanted to announce to you that,” Aga paused and looked at his girlfriend. Yes, his girlfriend. Again. They have gotten back together a year ago and now, they are about to level up their relationship. “We’re engaged!” the two exclaimed as Yari showed the ring on her finger.

“Oh, great.” Aya murmured sarcastically while scratching her head. She’s displeased but mostly annoyed with that news. She wasn’t obviously that fond of Yari anymore unlike she did years ago. She’s hating her more every single day because of what she did that night.

“Well, congratulations!” Agatha greeted the two as if she’s had no choice. Kung siya kasi ang tatanungin, ayaw niya na rin sana niya na makipagbalikan pa ang anak dito. But it’s Aga’s life and decisions. She couldn’t control it.

“Is that what you are just going to say? Because I’m already going to my room to take a rest. I’m too exhausted with this life already.” she said and looked at them. “Congratulations to the both of you, anyway. And congratulations to me too because I’m living the best life!” her sarcasm is fully on. “Now, I’ll have a stepmother who’s some sort of a... kidnapper.”

Pagagalitan na sana ni Aga ang anak dahil sa sinabi nito pero inawat siya ni Yari. They just let Aya go to her room so they won’t fight again.

“It’s okay. I’ll try talking to her.” Yari said and rubbed Aga’s arm to calm him down. “Although it really saddens me how she changed.”

_______

A year and a half after they got back together, Ian realized that he could not waste any more time. He and Lea were able to start anew and worked their relationship out better than they did before. Might be because, this time, they already have Sky. He has learned to trust her wholly again but his love for her has remained unstable— it keeps growing every single day.

He loves her greater this time that he could no longer let her go.

And that’s why he’s now standing at the end of the aisle, waiting for the woman who he asked to spend the rest of his life with and who would be his wife in a few moment.

Ian smiled and raised both of his thumbs when Sky walked in his tuxedo. He’s got their rings because who would be perfect as a ring bearer other than their son? The little boy was smiling from ear to ear not just because he liked the attention but because he’s really happy for his Mom and Dad.

Then, it’s the flower girls’ turn. He remembered Lea crying to him when they were choosing who would be the flower girls. She wanted Aya to be one of them. She wanted her daughter to be part of this wedding but at this very moment, that remains to be just a wishful thinking.

The entourage went on and on until the door of the church finally opened and soon revealed the bride. Lea’s smile was as gorgeous as her wedding gown most especially when she started walking down the aisle in her father’s arms. She was focused on walking carefully to not trip on her gown but when she sighted Ian, the man whom she had lost and returned and now who she is choosing to keep forever, she no longer cared about anything else but him and the path they are about to take together— as husband and wife.

Ian pressed his palms against each other and put it on his face as soon as he saw his wife-to-be. He could see how gorgeous she is despite the veil that’s covering her face. He felt teary eyed as pure bliss enveloped his heart while watching the woman he loves getting closer to him— to their lifetime together.”

Until Lea finally stopped in front of her husband-to-be and it was just when she realized he’s tearing up. She has been suppressing her tears but seeing him cry triggered one to fall down from her eye too.

“Save those tears for our future fights, Ian. Stop crying because you are making me cry too.” mahinang saway niya rito na siya namang ikinatawa ng huli. He heaved a deep breath and smiled before taking her from Leo who congratulated them after.

“There’s no turning back, Lea.” Ian told her. “Are you ready to be my Misis, Misis?” he asked and offered her arm.

Lea smiled and cling onto it, “Ready na maging Misis si Misis.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.5K 3.4K 55
Ang tadhana ang pumipili nang taong dapat mong mahalin, hindi ikaw. Kaya kapag siya ang nakatadhanang tao na dapat mong mahalin sa mga oras na 'yan w...
7.3K 78 3
I dreamed of a happy and a whole family. Who wouldn't? Right? Nang bigyan ako ng pagkakataon ng tadhana na makuha iyon ay sinunggaban ko na kaagad. ...
17.8K 434 49
Life is full of unpredictable surprises. People come, people go, people change and people will forget you kapag nakahanap na sila ng iba. ...
107K 2.6K 83
How can you "reset" if you keep pressing "rewind"? A Bongbong Marcos and Leni Robredo fanfic. ❤️💛