A Stranger In My Home

By LilianeGrouse

After years of spousal abuse, Julie Gibbons had given up hoping her husband would change his ways and resigne... More

Disclaimer and Warning
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Epilogue

Chapter 20

11.6K 442 17
By LilianeGrouse

WARNING! This chapter contains mature themes (violence). Reader discretion is advised.

Jason tucked his gun in his jeans, hiding it beneath his shirt, and walked up to the house. He’d spent the last hour thinking up a way to approach Derek without making things worse, and the best idea he’d gotten so far was to put a bullet in his cousin’s head to make sure he never hurt a living soul again. Still, he had to do something. He couldn’t sit and wait for the sheriff to get around to investigating Derek. With one deep breath, Jason rang the doorbell.

-

Julie’s head snapped up when she heard a doorbell ring. Derek had left the stairs down and her eyes flickered to them.

“Don’t even think about it,” Derek said in a low growl and Julie lowered her head again. Then she heard footsteps, and distant voices. Someone was upstairs, and someone else was at the door. What if it was the police? If she screamed, would they hear it? She needed to get closer to the hatch. Under the pretense of clearing the table, Julie rose and slowly moved over to the sink, listening carefully to make sure the strangers were still up there. Her adrenaline was pumping and she was getting ready to run for the stairs and scream at the top of her lungs when cold metal scraped against her neck.

“You make a sound and it’s the last one you ever make,” Derek hissed in her ear, a kitchen knife pressing against her throat.

Julie kept as still as she possibly could. One wrong move and he’d slit her throat, she could feel it. The old Derek was gone, this one wasn’t just unpredictable and violent; he was psychotic. Whatever it was that triggered the change in him, there was no reaching him now. Her best chance at survival was to obey.

-

“You again?” Sissy said when she opened the door to Jason. “Am I going to have to call the police?”

“Actually, I wouldn’t mind if you did. Ask them to take Derek off your hands too, while you’re at it.”

“I told you, I don’t know where he is,” Sissy said and tried to close the door. Jason’s hand shot out and stopped her.

“I saw him walk inside your house,” he said tersely. “Tell him his cousin is here to talk to him.”

“He doesn’t want to talk to you,” Sissy blurted.

“Then have him say that to my face, and I’ll leave,” Jason said, broadening his stance.

“Wait here,” Sissy said warily and closed the door in Jason’s face. Well, at least that was something.

-

“Derek?” a female voice called and Julie sucked a breath in as Derek pressed the blade harder against her throat.

“What?” he called out impatiently.

“Someone’s here to see you.”

“She’s got to be kidding me,” Derek muttered. “I’m busy!” he yelled.

“It’s your cousin!”

Julie bit her lip to stop herself from crying out. Jason was upstairs, asking for Derek. If she cried out for him, he’d come for her. But when he got to her it would already be too late and then Jason would be in danger.

“Isn’t that sweet,” Derek whispered in Julie’s ear. “Your lover came for you. Well, guess what, doll face? You so much as blink and I’ll slit your miserable throat. Maybe I’ll let good ol’ Jase take the credit. Post mortem.”

There he was, the old Derek, Julie thought morosely. Not a 50s business man expecting his wife to fulfill his every need, but a cruel abuser reveling in the power he held over other people. Just like his abuse had escalated over the years they’d spent together, he was escalating even now, before her eyes. She didn’t doubt for a second that he would go through with his threats if she challenged him.

Keeping perfectly still, Julie waited for what seemed like endless seconds before he released her and shoved her aside, taking the knife with him as he headed up the stairs. The hatch locked in place after him and Julie braced her hands on the kitchen countertop, shaking with fear. When she raised her eyes a steel blade winked at her from its spot on the magnetic knife bar by the far end of the counter. Derek had taken the larger kitchen knife, the one she’d been using earlier, but there were several others. One of which was small enough to keep hidden somewhere.

Julie listened for voices upstairs and carefully took the knife, walking as fast as she could into the bedroom without making a sound. She looked around for a good place to hide it and finally settled on under the mattress on her side. If Derek came down to stay with her, she could wait until he was asleep and get away from him then. If only the hatch wasn’t locked… The woman staying upstairs – was that his girlfriend? Was she helping him? Would she be able to escape Derek only to be caught by his accomplice? And perhaps the biggest question of all – could she really stab a man in cold blood?

It was him or her, Julie told herself. If she had the opportunity to escape and didn’t take it she wasn’t worth saving. Of course, her plan depended on him falling asleep next to her, and thus far, he’d kept his distance at night. Perhaps because he didn’t trust her yet. She couldn’t attack him when he was awake, he was much too strong and it would be downright foolish to even try.

-

“Jase!” Derek greeted his cousin and Jason gritted his teeth. Derek was acting like he didn’t have a care in the world and it was making Jason’s muscles flex in angry response.

“Derek. Long time no see,” Jason said, his jaw tense. “Do you have a minute?”

“Well, me and the little lady were just heading to bed,” he said and wrapped an arm around Sissy, who looked uncomfortable with the affectionate gesture.

“Right, I’ll be quick, then,” Jason said tersely. “Have you seen Julie around, by any chance?”

“Why? Did she run out on you?” Derek said in mock surprise. “Well, she has a history of that, doesn’t she?”

“Difference is, I never left her bleeding and dying on the kitchen floor, so…” Jason said and had the satisfaction of seeing the anger flash in Derek’s eyes, and hesitation cross Sissy’s features.

“Is that all?” Derek said brusquely.

“I’ll be around if you hear from her,” Jason said easily and stepped away from the door. “Just give me a call and I’ll be right over.”

“Don’t waste your time, cuz,” Derek drawled. “She’s probably halfway to California by now.”

The door was slammed behind Jason’s back and he found his fists shaking of pent-up anger. At least Derek knew he was being watched now, and the authorities knew where to find him. Jason headed for his car and drove off, stopping a small stretch down the street, out of sight from the house, and called Jim to make sure the Sheriff had gotten the message about Derek’s whereabouts.

-

By the time Derek returned, Julie was back in the kitchen, tidying up the last of their meal. She didn’t dare say a word, afraid it might set him off, and kept her eyes on the dishtowel she was using. He walked around the kitchen as if inspecting its condition, and Julie felt her heart beat faster as he looked over the kitchen counter. What if he saw that the smallest knife was missing on the wall?

“You missed a spot,” he said gruffly and tapped his finger on the counter top. Julie couldn’t see anything, but she knew better than to argue. Instead, she scrubbed dutifully at the spot he’d indicated. She froze as Derek’s hand covered hers and he lifted it up to inspect her nails. “Do these look nice to you?” he questioned with a voice that teetered on the edge of anger.

“I’m sorry,” she said quickly. “I’ll take better care of them, I promise.”

He huffed but let her go. “I don’t want you touching me with those hands. Use the creams I’ve bought for you. Show some gratitude for once.”

“I will, I promise,” Julie said meekly.

Derek muttered something intelligible and then he was heading back up the stairs, locking the hatch behind him. Julie let out a sigh of relief and put away the dishtowel, heading over to the bathroom. In the cabinet, she found an assortment of creams and perfumes and, after a quick shower, took care to rub lotion on her body and hand cream on her hands. She gave herself a manicure and painted her nails with a light pink shade. It would clash with her strawberry hair rather than compliment it, but it was either that or a blood-red shade, and Julie had seen enough blood in her life.

She got ready for bed and crawled under the covers, listening for Derek. He never came.

-

Sissy was happy to welcome Derek back to her bed, even if it had come at a cost. She’d ignored Jason’s comment on why Derek’s ex-wife left and told herself he was different with her. She’d let Derek play out his fantasy, pretending she was his mistress, the one who could give him what his pathetic wife wouldn’t. Sissy felt resentment towards Julie for not keeping Derek happier while they were married. He had so much weighing on his shoulders now. Having Julie around was only making him worse. She had to get that ungrateful little tramp out of her house somehow. Maybe then Derek would see who could truly make him happy.

---

For the next couple of days, Julie put on the best show of her life. And Derek was eating it up. She prepared mouthwatering meals, rubbed his feet, ironed his clothes, kept the basement apartment spotless and pretended she was happy to see him whenever he came down to visit her.

One night, he decided she deserved a reward for her good behavior. He proclaimed he wasn’t spending the night with his mistress, but instead she would reap the benefits of his marital rights. Julie pushed down the bile in her throat and put on a sweet smile.

“Thank you,” she said and lowered her gaze in modesty. If she could make herself blush, she would have. She had to settle for not looking green.

“I’ll be down in a little while,” he said, heading up the stairs after dinner. “Go get yourself cleaned up and get under the covers.”

Julie smiled and nodded, but as soon as he closed the hatch, she was darting into the bedroom to make sure the knife was still tucked underneath the mattress. Her original plan had been to stab him while he slept, but she couldn’t stand the thought of him touching her again. She was practically shaking with anticipation as she got under the covers, dressed in her nightgown.

Julie listened for footsteps, and it felt like an eternity passed before Derek appeared in the doorway. He smirked at her as he turned the light on. Then he shrugged out of his clothes, draping them over a chair. Julie willed herself not to gag as he undressed. Derek had always kept in shape, and he apparently still did, but the hate and fear she felt towards him undid all of his physical attributes.

The mattress dipped under the added weight and Julie clutched the side of the bed so as not to roll against him. “Come here,” Derek mumbled and pulled her partly underneath him. Julie let out a startled gasp as she was moved out of reach of the hidden weapon and her wrists were pinned above her head. She wriggled to break free, which only awarded her a feral grin from Derek. “Oh, you’re in a playful mood tonight, aren’t you babe?”

Julie froze and forced herself to go limp. She turned her head when he kissed her, his lips hot on her skin. This couldn’t happen. It was like a nightmare playing out right in front of her, like it was happening to someone else. His hands left her wrists and groped her breasts instead. Julie pulled her head back and moaned, hoping he would buy that she was aroused by his rough hands. Apparently he did, because he chuckled and kissed her neck.

“Raise your hips, dollface,” he murmured and started tugging on her briefs. Julie saw her opportunity and did as he asked, angling her body and moving a few inches to her right as she raised her hips. She clutched at the side of the bed as if tense with excitement, all the while feeling fervently for the blade under the mattress. While Derek slid her shorts off, she grabbed the knife and tucked it against her side. She felt the tip of him press against her and gasped. “Derek?”

“Yeah, baby?”

“Kiss me first,” she said.

 “Such a little lady you are,” he chuckled. “Don’t worry, I’ll take good care of you.”

He surged forward and silenced her cry with his mouth pressed against hers. Julie thrust the knife upwards with all her might, sinking it into his flesh. Derek growled like a wounded beast and wrapped his hands around her throat, choking her. Julie twisted the knife and just before she started seeing stars, Derek’s body fell limp on top of her.

-

Julie squirmed to break free under the weight of Derek’s body. He was still breathing, but unconscious. There was blood everywhere. She tumbled to the floor and then raced for the stairs, which had mercifully been left down. The hatch was closed, but not locked, and she pushed to open it. She ended up in what looked like a food cellar, and tried the door. It opened. If Derek’s accomplice/girlfriend was in the house, she would have to be really quiet, so Julie tiptoed through a kitchen and down a hallway which let her to a small foyer. Her thin slip was barely covering her bottom and as she darted for the front door, which was now in sight, she grabbed a coat from a hanger in the hallway.

The outside air hit her like a steam shower. The night was hot and humid, but she’d never been happier to be outdoors. Julie didn’t bother with looking left and right before taking off running down the residential street. She jumped as a pair of headlights blinded her, and for a moment she thought Derek was going to run her over with his car. But Derek was unconscious and bleeding in a basement. The car pulled to a screeching halt and the door on the driver’s side flung open. Julie’s first instinct was to run, but the man jumping out of the car called her name in a voice that was so familiar and safe to her that she ran into his arms instead.

“Jason!” she sobbed.

“Jules!” he cried out and hugged her close. “Oh, god, I can’t believe… Are you okay?”

“No,” Julie shook her head even as it was buried in his chest. “Get me out of here, Jason. We have to call the police.”

“Get in the car,” he said and ushered her towards the passenger seat.

-

Sissy lay in her bed and listened to the hatch open and close, and then the front door. She’d neglected her duty to secure the hatch when Derek went down to the basement, and he’d probably be upset with her for a little while, but at least that pitiful woman was out of their lives for good now. The little cocktail she’d made Derek had obviously worked like a charm, or else Julie wouldn’t be sneaking out. Sissy snuggled with her pillow and drifted off to sleep. Tomorrow would be much better.

-

“How is she?” Glory asked as Jason slipped out of the bedroom Julie had been occupying for the past five days.

“Messed up,” he sighed and rubbed his stubbled jaw. “She won’t eat anything and if I try to touch her she flinches.

“What did the doctor say?”

“Her physical wounds will heal, but the psychological ones…” he shook his head.

“But she’s so strong,” Glory objected. “She endured eight years and was able to put her life back together.”

“She was kidnapped, beaten and raped by her ex-husband, who was working under a psychotic break. Then she stabbed him and thought she’d killed him. If that isn’t enough to give a person PTSD I don’t know what is…”

“Jason, I’m sorry,” Glory said and squeezed his shoulder. “If there’s anything I or Jim can do…”

“I’ll let you know,” he filled in.

Glory nodded and Jason followed her into the kitchen where Jim was cooking.

“She didn’t like my food, huh?” Jim said.

“No offense, buddy,” Jason said.

“Oh, I’m not offended that Julie won’t eat my cooking. I am, however, offended that you won’t,” he said pointedly, looking at the untouched plate on the kitchen table.

“I’m just not that hungry,” Jason said and slumped down at the table.

“She needs you to be strong, you know,” Glory said and sat down next to him.

“If I knew what she needed, I’d give it to her,” Jason sighed and buried his face in his hands, rubbing his tired eyes. “She has nightmares, and when I go to comfort her, she pushes me away. I don’t know if I should let her sleep through them or not.”

“Is she taking any medication?” Jim asked.

“She’s scared she’ll never wake up, or that someone will hurt her when she’s out.”

“But she could take some anti-anxiety pills, right?” Glory frowned.

“She doesn’t trust that they won’t knock her out,” Jason shook his head.

“Does she have someone to talk to?” Glory asked.

“The hospital referred her to a therapist dealing with PTSD-cases. She has her first appointment next week.”

“And… Derek?” Jim asked.

“Psych evaluation pending, after that I hope he’ll be put away for a really long time,” Jason said tersely.

“What happens to the girlfriend?”

“Accessory charges,” Jason shrugged. “Maybe they’ll plead out since she actually helped Julie escape…”

“So many lives ruined…” Glory shook her head solemnly.

“I’m not letting Julie’s be one of them,” Jason said with determination. “No matter how long it takes, she’s going to come back from this.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

68 1 14
It all started with a confession. They vowed to love each other for the rest of their lives. To be with each other's side through thick and thin. The...
44.3K 1.8K 35
The exact words he threw at my face still haunts my dreams every single night and I think I'm starting to believe him. "Wish I've never met you I...
31.4K 1.4K 95
'You can't have a testimony, without a test.' How much heartache can one person have before enough is enough? Layla has had the best and worst exper...
3.4K 878 41
𝓣𝓱𝓲𝓼 𝓲𝓼 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓼𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓮𝓵 𝓸𝓯 𝑺𝑬𝑬 𝑴𝑬. 𝓐𝓵𝓽𝓱𝓸𝓾𝓰𝓱 𝓪 𝓯𝓵𝓪𝓼𝓱𝓫𝓪𝓬𝓴 𝓽𝓮𝓬𝓱𝓷𝓲𝓺𝓾𝓮 𝔀𝓸𝓾𝓵𝓭 𝓫𝓮 𝓾𝓼𝓮𝓭 𝓲𝓷 𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓼...