The Ranger And The Prince.

By BlackRoseSith

Sapphire is an orphan elleth whom was brought up by dwarves in the Mines of Moria. Now she wanders the wilder... More

Prologue.
Council of Elrond.
The First Steps.
Ice Breaker.
Home Sweet Tomb.
Last Stand of Moria.
Pass into Shadow.
A Lament For Gandalf.
Kings of Old.
Captive.
Reunion.
King of Rohan.
Life and Death.
Fall of the Dúnedain.
Calm Before the Storm.
The Storm.
Fall of the White Wizard.
Secret.
Sparring Matches.
Split of the Dimholt Road.
The Reddened White City
Unarmoured.
Eye of the Enemy.
The White Tree In Blossom.
Goodbye to the Fellowship.
The Elevenking.
Bad Terms.
Thranduil's Wrath.
White Gems.
Olive Branch of Peace.
Wedding Traditions.
Flirting and Fighting.
Pretty as a Princess.
Kisses and Candlelight.
What Comes After.
New Life.
Motherhood.
A Family to Belong To.
Going Home.
Gondor and Mirkwood.
Home At Last.
Home Siege.
Leaving the Nest.
Epilogue.

Wedding Bells Toll.

3.3K 100 84
By BlackRoseSith

^^^Another rough sketch, it's not my best but still.^^^

I had never really given any thought to marriage, or love in general. It had never really been on my horizons until now. After all, I had spent most of my long life believing love was folly and something beneath me.

And yet there I was, waking up to the sound of bells deep within the city of Mirkwood. The bells of Mirkwood rarely ring out in the city, I myself had never heard them but I knew that they only rung out on the most special of occasions. My wedding day.

I had lived a long life, let's be fair, I am an elf. But never once did I think I would ever marry. Why should I have entertained the fantasy when I knew I wouldn't marry. How wrong I was. Call me a hypocrite.

Suffice to say, when I woke up that morning when the bells ring out, I was a cocktail of emotions.

Part of me was still in denial about Legolas' proposal and the other part that had accepted it, was completely confused and somewhat scared.

Not many things scared me, I wasn't like most women, it took more to break me than fear. I was made of stone and would not give into fear. And yet, the thought of marriage was crumbling me down to the core.

I loved Legolas, that much was clear, I had know for the past eight years of that fact. But I wasn't some common housewife and I would be damned before I became one.

I lay in bed for some time until there came a knock at my door. At first I thought it was Legolas but I remembered how he wanted to keep another pointless tradition of not seeing the bride before the wedding.

I forced myself to my feet and smoothed down my nightdress as I walked to my door, putting on a week smile as I opened it.

Arwen and Éowyn stood there, surrounded by some of the servants, all smiling up at me.

The guest had been arriving for two weeks now. Legolas had ordered that the royal guard patrol the elven path so that visitors didn't get lost. Mirkwood wasn't the most welcoming to strangers but we couldn't possibly get married without friends being there.

Gimli had been the first to arrive, congratulating us and teasing us about our engagement. I was glad he was here, I need a brother in times like these. Most of the elves didn't enjoy the fact a dwarf was now in their city but we paid them no heed, after all, Gimli was Legolas' best man.

King Éomer arrived second with a Rohirrim guard, Rohan being much closer to Mirkwood than other cities. Merry and Pippin were with him, having crossed Middle-Earth just to visit us. Unfortunately, Sam could not make the journey, I didn't blame him, he was now a husband and father.

Aragorn and Arwen came next, accompanied by their little five year old son who waddled up beside them. As expected, they were escorted by guards of Gondor.

Éowyn and Faramir arrived with them. Despite my initial conclusions, it seemed they had made a lovely married couple, even with their courting period so short. I had been courting Legolas for over eight years and I was still pondering over my decision to marry him. But it seemed the two were happy, I could even see Éowyn's slight swell of her stomach, indicating she was a few months pregnant by now.

It really did seem like me and Legolas were late to the party. Most of our close friends were now settled down with a family. Even Éomer was said to have his eye on a lady back in Edoras.

Was this what marriage brought? A lifetime cut short of adventures and the noise of screaming babies? Perhaps I was making a mistake, I didn't want to be some spinster.

Éowyn and Arwen were fretting over me having not even started to get dressed. The royal seamstress was carrying my dress and all sorts of little accessories. The servants were also no help, they bustled around me, talking about hair and jewelry.

Only a moment ago, I was curled up in bed, now I was being pushed and tugged through the room, everyone fretting over me.

I finally managed to ditch them when I stepped into my en suite bathroom, the rockpool and waterfall.

I quickly shimmied out of my nightdress and slipped into the water. I stood under the waterfall, letting the cool liquid cascade down my hair and back.

Surely I should be overjoyed, after all, most women would think it a dream come true on the day of their wedding. Don't get me wrong, everything about it was supposed to make me happy but for some reason, I felt down.

It was in times likes these I wish my father were here, or mother. But my dwarven father had been dead nearly two millennia and Mother Galadriel was far off in the undying lands.

I did love Legolas, and I wanted to marry him.

But when I looked upon Arwen and Éowyn, I saw pregnant bellies and screaming kids. They were mothers, not to mention they were proper Ladies. Éowyn may have a flare for fighting but when it boils down to it, she was still a shield maiden of Rohan, a Lady through and through. As for Arwen, well she was a queen, not to mention a Rivendell elf, graceful and cultured.

I wasn't ready to put down my axe and take up sewing needles.

But then again, when I looked upon Arwen and Éowyn, I also saw joy. Such joy which I had never seen before. Perhaps marriage was not what I had always thought it was.

Content, I made sure I was clean and fresh before slipping into a silk robe. Back in my room, all the women began to talk about hair and dresses and stuff I had no interest in. It was like Arwen's wedding all over again.

I just sort of sat there while they fretted about me. The servants did bring out the curling tongs again but this time, they made sure not to get on my bad side.

Finally, when I was deemed 'ready' the seamstress brought out my dress, or at least the different components that made up my dress.

A loose silk dress with a plunging neckline and a knee-high hem was first. My shoulders were bare and the silver sleeves were huge and baggy. A silver corset came next, which as per instruction, wasn't too tight. Many petticoats followed which draped around my skirt, the trim having the same moon pattern as the dress I had worn to the engagement party. White dyed leather boots came next, soft and gentle to the touch, only a handful of elves in all of Middle-Earth could work with boiled leather and create something so comfortable.

As with most elven weddings, nature was in many ways incorporated into my dress. The servants brought vines of ivy and twisted them up parts of my arms, over the silk sleeves. At the bottom of my corset, they tied more of the vines so the leaves were destiny delicately in the middle of my skirt. Mirkwood blossoms had been weaved into the braids in my hair as well, smelling sweet and fragrant as ever.

For the finishing touches, the white necklace Thranduil had given me was tied around my neck and the rest of the jewelry nearly brought me to tears. According to the servant who were dressing me, the jewelry was Legolas' gift.

Dwarven bracelets, engraved in dwarven ruins, made from the purest gold, quiet a change from my all silver wedding outfit. I recognized the craftsmanship of the elves but the design was unmistakably dwarven, rigid ruins and hard engravings. My thoughts went to the axe Mother Galadriel had gifted me all those years ago, the first axe to be made by elven hands.

The ruins read, 'Legolas, greenleaf of the forest, and Sapphire, gemstone of the mountain.'

I slipped on the heavy arm braces, the gleaming gold sticking out from the white and silver. Though no one else in the room could read the words that were written, I knew what it meant and it meant a lot.

Sighing contently, I looked around at both Arwen and Éowyn who were smiling at me broadly. The servants and the seamstress were also smiling at me and were clearly envious of my dress from the way they gawped at me.

***

Unsteady and uncertain, my heart pounded as I made my way towards the hall. Arwen and Éowyn had left to find their places at the front of the hall as they were my bridesmaids. That left me alone to walk the rest of the way to the hall.

Though it only took me a few minutes to find myself at the doors, it felt as though a lifetime had passed. My heart was pounding so loud I was beginning to worry I wouldn't be able to hear the vows spoken to me and at this rate, I likely wouldn't be able to say my own vows either.

Finally at the doors, I smiled as I saw Gimli and Aragorn waiting for me, all dressed up in formal attire.

"You wash up nice, elf," Gimli chuckled as he saw me all dressed up in my elaborate wedding gown.

"You look beautiful," Aragorn smiled as well as I hurried up to them and threw my arms around them (dragging Aragorn down to Gimli's height to do so).

As I didn't have a father - nor any family at all for that matter - to walk me down the isle, that duty fell upon Gimli and Aragorn. They were the closest thing I had to brothers.

"Are you ok, Sapphire," Aragorn asked as he held me at arms length, "You seem a little dazed."

"Just..." I squeaked, uncertain of my words, "Nothing..."

"You're not backing out now, lassie," Gimli huffed.

"You'll be fine," Aragorn assured me as I sighed in defeat.

I leant down and kissed Gimlibon the forehead before turning to Aragorn and kissing him on the cheek. They were right. I couldn't think of any others to lead me down the isle than my brothers.

Trying my best to hear over the sound of my own heartbeat, I took up my position in front of the doors. Aragorn and Gimli to either side of me, I held my head down, waiting for the doors to open.

It seemed like an eternity until the great oak doors began to open to the huge hall and all the guests. Timidly, I looked up and for the first time that morning, everything seemed silent.

The elven choir was singing soothing melodies but I couldn't hear them. For once, my heart stopped pounding and was now quieter than a whisper. All eyes were on me but for once, I didn't care.

My eyes were transfixed on Legolas, stood at the other end of the hall in a silver tunic and white robe, ivy vines entwined along his sleeves like mine and. Upon his head sat a crown of knitted twigs and ivy leaves, much like the crown which sat upon Thranduil's head. He looked back at me, his mouth slightly agape as he looked at me, this being the first time to see my dress. His smile was so sweet, my own lips mimicked it, excitement quickly replacing dread.

I don't remember when my legs started to move but before I knew it, I was walking swiftly and softly towards him.

Once I reached the end of the hall, I took Legolas' hands and we stood facing each other as Gimli and Aragorn stood to the side with King Thranduil. My eyes were glued to his as the elven choir quietened so we could say our vows.

As in most traditions, the bride and groom are supposed to say their vows in their mother tongue. Of course, we were Elves but since when had I been one for tradition? It was decided, we would say our vows three times, the first time in Elvish, the second time in Dwarvish and lastly in the common tongue.

Tears welled up in my eyes as we began to recite together, our voices being carried through the silent hall.

"To my love, my life, my everything, I do hereby proclaim this promise: to love, cherish and honour you for all my days to come and even when death parts us, I will remember you till my last days."

Everyone in the crowd waited until we had said it all three times in all the languages. A tear rolled down my cheek as Legolas wiped it away and leaned down, kissing me softly.

All the guests began to cheer and by the time we pulled apart, Thranduil had walked over to us, a proud smile on his face. His crown, this time decorated by bright spring leaves and ivy, sat upon his head.

He held in his hands a crown, like the one he and Legolas were wearing of knitted branches and ivy leaves.

As the crowed quietened again, I knelt down, bowing my head as Thranduil lifted the crown at arms length for all to see.

"On this the day my son has married, now I crown my new daughter-in-law, Lady Sapphire as Princess of Mirkwood, may she be as fair and just as those that have come before her." He announced proudly, placing the crown of ivy delicately on my head, "Arise, Princess Sapphire."

The crowd cheered and clapped again as I got back to my feet. Makeing sure not to let my new crown slip from my head, I let my eyes meet Legolas' again and a broad smile made its way onto my face.

There definitely was no turning back now.

Don't forget to vote and comment your thoughts and feedback.

Also, anyone want a wedding night smut chapter? No, just me? Ok then...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.9K 637 34
Faylen Adwynn comes from a troubled past which landed her in Rivendell 10 years ago. She found a new family amongst the elves and trained, always sta...
671 41 9
Once the darkness rises once more, a girl from the stars is bound to fall. Upon her arrival the One will be revealed and the light will slowly start...
250K 7.6K 45
Aúthiel has always been alone. Her dark past is splattered with blood and she struggles everyday to live with what she has done. She depends on no-on...
1.8K 102 18
-𝙒𝙝𝙖𝙩...𝙬𝙝𝙮 𝙬𝙤𝙪𝙡𝙙 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙙𝙤 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙩𝙤 𝙢𝙚? -𝘽𝙚𝙘𝙖𝙪𝙨𝙚 𝙄'𝙢 𝙩𝙞𝙧𝙚𝙙... -𝙊𝙛 𝙬𝙝𝙖𝙩? -𝙔𝙤𝙪... ________________________...