My Reflections

By ianth3

Prince Marcel Weiss was supposed to be dead the moment he was born, but due to unexpected events, he was save... More

Marcel
Theodore
Marcel
Theodore
Marcel
Theodore
Marcel
Theodore

Marcel

1 0 0
By ianth3

      I roamed the castle halls aimlessly after visiting my mother. Since I wasn't allowed to return to the library, I had nothing else to do. My mind immediately went to the idea that I could find Theo, but he was most likely too busy to ease my suffering. Besides, he promised he would come to find me once he finished. A sigh escaped my lips as I messed with the cuff of my shirt.

     My shoulders slumped as I stopped in my tracks to gaze out the window that stood beside me. I pressed a hand against the glass while the kingdom stood below me. My kingdom. A place I could only see from afar even if it would belong to me one day. Just from that thought alone, my hand curled into a fist.

     I swear I will rid myself of you, I declared while turning away. There's no time to delay now, I have to learn as much as I can. With quick steps, I made my way down the hall and began to turn the corner when I crashed into someone else.

"I'm so sorry - !"

"Please forgive me, I wasn't - !"

     I began apologizing until I realized who it was and paused. Theo stood before me looking just as surprised as I was. His expression instantly changed into a smile once he caught on that it was me.

"Mar! I didn't think I would be running into you," he simply stated. I narrowed my eyes.

"That wasn't very good and you know it," I stated. His smile never faded as he shrugged my statement off.

"I couldn't think of anything better...," Theo murmured as if he already knew it was horrible. A small laugh left me.

"You're rather useless aren't you?" I asked rhetorically. He quickly bowed.

"Please forgive me for my incompetence, Your Highness!" he exclaimed. I struck my hand against the top of his head as if it were a blade.

"Forgiven. Now tell me, where exactly are you in a hurry to?" I asked. Theo's smile faded as he stood straight.

"I must speak with His Majesty. I have news I must share with him." His tone became serious as I stiffened about the mention of my father. It was quiet between us for a moment while he waited for me to respond.

"...I see. Allow me to accompany you then," I said. Theo paused for a moment then nodded before heading to his destination. I followed in step beside him wondering what was so important that he had to share it with my father right away.

"This news you have... Does it have to do with the guards that summoned you earlier?" I questioned. He nodded.

"I'm afraid so. I would explain the details, but it would be better if we speak with His Majesty first," Theo hesitantly answered. I hummed in response thinking that was for the best. Having him explain it to me now would be a waste of time considering he had to inform my father of the news.

"I was planning on telling you afterwards."

"Hmm. I'm glad I wasn't forgotten."

"Please, I couldn't even if I tried."

"Is that a compliment or an insult?" I asked. Theo nervously scratched at his chin.

"Maybe I best not answer that," he mumbled. I jabbed him in the side with my elbow. He laughed while placing a hand over his ribs even though I was pretty sure it didn't hurt.

     After that, the walk to my father's study was shorter than expected. We stood side by side and stared at the doors that prevented us from entering. I glanced at Theo then noticed how nervous he was when he knocked. A voice called out saying we could enter and so Theo opened the doors then walked in. I followed after him as he held the door open to allow me passage. Once I was in the room, I quickly bowed before looking up at my father.

     King Eli Weiss, the current ruler of Eirlys. He was a tall man even if he wasn't very muscular. His silver hair was combed back to reveal his brown eyes and the silver bristles along his chin. My father currently sat at his desk appearing to have been writing something but stopped due to our arrival. His gaze was sharp as he looked from me to Theo.

"Marcel. Theodore. What brings you here?" he asked as he straightened his posture. I unconsciously did the same then gave Theo a side glance. He took in a deep breath before he began to speak.

"I have an urgent update to discuss with you about the murders," he said. Surprise lit my face as I tried to remain silent. My father nodded as if telling him to continue.

"The guards informed me that a man turned himself in claiming to be the killer. I spoke with him and he said so himself that he was the one involved. But..." Theo explained before pausing. He placed a hand on the back of his neck with a worried expression. I couldn't help but feel empathy towards him knowing that his choice of words could turn against him.

"But, I believe this man couldn't be behind it. His figure looks as if he hasn't eaten or had any sleep in days. His age is also a concerning factor. He did say that someone was forcing him to do it, but I highly doubt someone has," Theo finished. I stared down at the floor letting this information sink in. The situation was very disturbing.

"What have you decided to do with this man?" asked my father.

"I've decided to keep him in the cells for now. I don't believe him to be the one we are looking for, but... I can't dismiss him either." Theo reasoned. My father nodded in agreement.

"Excellent. I agree with your judgement on the situation. Thank you for informing me," His Majesty responded. The two chatted more, but their voices became part of the background. My thoughts wandered over what Theo had explained.

     Someone was controlling this man? How can that be? What could someone possibly do with a frail elderly man? Were they even doing so through normal means? Could it be... someone experiencing what I am with Erebus? Or... could it be worse?

"Speak your mind, Marcel," my father sternly said, awakening me from my thoughts. I remained quiet as I felt his gaze directed at me.

"...I fear you are taking this too lightly, Your Majesty," I replied with the same tone he used on me.

"What makes you say that?" he asked. From the corner of my eye, I saw Theo visibly look uncomfortable.

     Sorry, Theo, but, this is something I must do.

"The man spoke of someone controlling him. Shouldn't that be taken into account?" I asked. My father looked at Theo for more information. His uneasiness caused my heart to momentarily stop. This wasn't going to be an easy conversation.

"The man did speak of someone controlling him, but when I asked who... he repeated that a voice kept telling him what to do," he stated softly. I took in a deep breath.

"Can you truly believe that the man is lying? We don't know enough about the situation to take his words lightly," I commented. My father's gaze was burning with anger as he stood up from his desk.

"A frail, tired, old man is nothing but a frail, tired, old man. Someone of that standard couldn't harm let alone kill a handful of people even if he was forced to do it. Yet, you want us to believe this man, yes? Then, let's do that. Like most criminals in this kingdom, he would be executed for the crimes he has committed. Now that this man is out of the picture, what would you do then if the killings continue?" my father asked while walking to the side of his desk.

"But what if it did?" I questioned in return.

"Then the problem has reached a solution, yes? But, what if they didn't? More people begin to die with an innocent man along with them and that would be held against you." My father stood before me now, but I couldn't bring myself to look at his face. A moment of silence fell between us for I had no response to give him.

"Theodore. Leave us," he ordered without turning his gaze away from me. I watched from the corner of my eye as Theo bowed while giving me a sidelong glance before exiting the room. Once he was gone, my father let out a sigh while walking to stand by the window.

"Your statement had something to do with this morning, yes?" he asked. I remained quiet for a moment before responding with a quick agreement. He didn't budge and continued staring out into the distance then mumbled, "That man isn't like you."

My hands curled into fists at my side as I sternly replied, "How could you possibly know that?"

"My son doesn't kill anyone just because he is forced to. You are too stubborn to even listen to me. I know you left the castle this morning." Surprise lit my features as I finally looked to see my father staring at me with a stern expression with his arms crossed.

"I will let it slide this time since Theodore was with you, but you will be punished if you do it again," he stated with his tone making it very clear he was serious.

"...Yes, Your Majesty." was all I could say. A sigh escaped my father's lips once more as his feet carried him back to stand in front of me.

"I have these rules to protect you, Marcel. You may not believe me, but it is for your own good." His voice came out softer this time as his hand rested on my shoulder.

"Then why must we lie? Our people are living their lives oblivious to the true dangers that lurk around us! What befell upon me could befall on anyone! Yet we act like he doesn't exist! Hiding in these castle walls will solve nothing! Father, why - ?!"

"Enough, Marcel!" my father roared causing me to freeze. I remained quiet as I lowered my head feeling dejected. It was understandable that my father wouldn't agree with my views. To him, I was being protected so Erebus wouldn't find me and take me away. But, he didn't know I was already his pawn. A willing pawn if it meant the horrible god wouldn't harm my kingdom or my family.

"I understand that you don't agree with what I've done, but there are some things you don't quite grasp yourself. Please know that I did what I believed was best." my father reasoned. I didn't respond.

"...I understand. Good day, Your Majesty," I mumbled then shoved his hand away from my shoulder and left. There was no point in talking with him anymore. As the door shut behind me, I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding, noticing that my hands were shaking. Out of habit, I began messing with the cuff of my shirt while walking down the hall.

    If I told him the truth... what would he think of me?

"Marcel," a voice called out to me. I turned to see Theo advancing towards my direction. He was quiet once he stood in front of me, but his eyes told me everything.

"I'm fine. Nothing to worry about, it was just a friendly chat," I reassured him. Theo's expression softened as he nodded.

"Right. I won't ask for the details then," he responded while walking with me.

"You make it sound like you've never been reprimanded by your father."

"I haven't. I'm always a well-disciplined son."

"You sound more like a dog than a son."

"Does that make me a good boy, Your Highness?"

     I punched him in the side. Theo easily caught my fist before I could do damage and placed my hand back to my side with a laugh.

"Come on, Mar, you could tell me I did a good job every once in a while." he pleaded. I smirked.

"In your dreams, Captain."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5K 150 22
In the span of 7 years of losing your loved ones, everything it does is depression and pain and even a little change in your personality. Stella stop...
4.1K 91 14
Cover designed by: @iuna_zn What if instead of defeating this power-hungry tyrant, and stopping his plague of horrible beliefs that would cause mill...
161 18 18
In a realm where prejudice runs deep, Erzulie, an elf of royal lineage, navigates a life of privilege tinged with scorn. Hated for her race and furth...
4.2M 153K 59
~NOT EDITED~ ~RE-WRITTEN VERSION AS FROM 09 JANUARY 2023~ A princess. The first thing that come to your mind when you think of a princess is someon...