How It Should Have Been: Soke...

By Summer_waves9764

[Complete] Sophie is a normal elf, with blue eyes and average abilities. She is a telepath and a polyglot, he... More

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6
Episode 7
Episode 8
Episode 9
Episode 10
Episode 11
Episode 12
Episode 13: (Keefe's POV)
Episode 14: (Keefe's POV) (Possible triggers- self deprecation/being unloved)
Episode 15: (Sophie's POV)
Episode 16: (Keefe's POV)
Episode 17: (Keefe's POV)
Episode 18: (Sophie's POV)
Episode 19: (Sophie's POV)
Episode 20: (Sophie's POV)
Episode 21: (Sophie's POV)
Episode 22: (Keefe's POV) (Tw: verbal ab/se, us/lessness, being unloved)
Episode 23: (Sophie's POV)
Episode 25: (Keefe's POV)
Episode 26: (Sophie's POV)
Episode 27: (Keefe's POV) (Possible Triggers: Being unloved, verbal abuse)
Episode 28: (Keefe's POV)
Episode 29: (Sophie's POV)
Episode 30: (Keefe's POV)
Episode 31: (Sophie's POV)
Episode 31.5 (Keefe's POV)
Episode 32: (Sophie's POV)
Episode 33: (Sophie's POV)
Episode 34: (Keefe's POV)
Episode 35: (Sophie's POV)
Episode 36: (Keefe's POV)
Episode 37: (Keefe's POV)
Episode 38: (Sophie's POV)
Episode 39: (Keefe's POV)
Episode 40: (Keefe's POV)
Episode 41: (Sophie's POV)
Not a chapter but-
Episode 41.5: (Fitz's POV)
Episode 42: (Sophie's POV)
Episode 43: Fireworks (Epilogue)
Afterword (not a chapter)

Episode 24: (Sophie's POV)

4.7K 66 415
By Summer_waves9764

"Go ahead and go," Marella waved her hand. No plants exploded this time. "And take your head out of the clouds and look for the signs, will ya?"

Sophie nodded, even though she had no idea what Marella was talking about. She left the Healing Center and held her crystal up to the light.

She took a deep, calming breath as she glittered away.

Sophie shuddered.

The way the plant had exploded... Every time she closed her eyes, she could imagine that same power exploding through a body, ripping apart organs and shattering bone.

That wasn't possible, though. No one had the ability to destroy animals, elves, humans, or any of the other species.

Right?

Sophie squeezed her eyes shut, only to see a body- she didn't know whose- splattering red blood everywhere.

Why was this bothering her so much?

She didn't care this much about Grady's mesmerizing, or Linh's hydrokinesis, or even Tam's shade abilities. Even shadowflux, while extremely creepy, wasn't as scary to her as Marella's new ability.

A knock on her door startled her out of her thoughts.

"Who is it?" she called through the door, expecting Edaline's soft voice to answer.

But instead, a deeper, decidedly male voice answered. And it wasn't Grady's. "May I come in?" Fitz asked through the door.

Sophie shot bolt upright. She was suddenly aware that her hair was a mess, her plain beige and yellow tunic splattered with dirt from her visiting Marella. Her makeup was probably smeared, and her room, while not a disaster, was definitely not as clean as it could've been.

"Um... hang on a sec!" she responded, a little too late, throwing things under her bed and rushing in front of her mirror, hurrying to straighten her tunic and finger comb her hair. There was no time for anything fancy, but she wanted to at least look presentable, especially since Fitz probably looked like a fairy prince from one of those human stories.

Once she was satisfied with her appearance- or at least deemed it good enough- she told Fitz he could come in. She avoided looking up. She didn't want to meet his eyes. Sophie was still mad at him, but she didn't want to know what she'd feel if she looked him in his perfect, sparkling teal eyes.

"Sophie..." Fitz started. And stopped. At his hesitation, Sophie finally found the courage to lift her head.

She had been right.

He did look perfect, like a magical prince from a story.

He was wearing a blue and gold tunic, tight around the shoulders, exhibiting how broad his chest was. His legs were clad in black leggings, just tight enough to show off his muscled calves and thighs.

His hair was styled to perfection, slightly mussed with a cute swoop in the front. And his face... Sophie didn't want to look at his face. She was afraid of what she might find there. So she focused on his feet, which were shuffling towards her.

"Sophie... I am... so sorry," Fitz told her. "I never meant for this to happen. I thought... I don't know. I thought that you would agree, and I just wanted us to be together, and on each other's match lists."

There: a spark of anger. It blossomed underneath all the relief at his apology, all the hope that they could be happy, the happiness that he was here, Fitz was here, and maybe they could be okay.

But beneath the relief and hope and happiness, the tiny ember of anger grew, until Sophie was breathing harder and her eyes narrowed.

The excuses he was making. He was making excuses, when he should have just apologized, admitted his mistakes, allowed her to consider and make her own decision.

She lifted her head and stared him straight in his teal, shimmering eyes. The anger faltered when she saw the hope. The hope gleaming in his eyes, his beautiful, perfect eyes, set into his handsome, perfect face.

She shook her head to clear her head, blinking once, twice.

"So... is that a no?" Fitz's smile slowly collapsed into a frown, his eyes darkening into disappointment. The effect made it easier for Sophie to look at him, but she could hardly stand the sadness shadowing his face.

"I- I don't know yet," She admitted. "But... do you agree that you made mistakes? You shouldn't have tried to make me register, you shouldn't have accused me of not trusting you, and you shouldn't have brought Keefe into this for SOME reason that I don't even get!"

"Wait, you mean... he hasn't told you? Or taken advantage of all... this?" Fitz waved his arms around to convey 'all of this.'

"What-" Sophie sputtered. "By 'all of this,' I assume you mean the breakup-" she could hardly force the words out- "But how would Keefe take advantage of it? And why are you bringing him up again?" She crossed her arms, waiting for an answer.

"You actually don't know? He really didn't tell you?" The disbelief in Fitz's voice fanned the steadily growing flame of her fury.

"Tell me what? You know I am done with people refusing to tell me anything. You, Marella, Linh, Keefe, Biana. But I don't even care anymore!" Her voice rose until she was almost shouting, letting out the words that had been bottled up inside her.

"There isn't anything to tell!" Fitz retorted, but Sophie knew he was lying. He shifted uneasily on his feet, his fingers twisting together nervously.

"I know you're lying, but I don't care. You can tell me the truth if you want to."

"That is the truth!" Fitz's voice rose to match hers, but he lowered it, taking a deep breath. "Look, I'm sorry. I'll try to be better, I really will. I hated being apart from you, I just-" Fitz sighed, tearing a hand through his hair.

Sophie waited for him to say more. She definitely didn't miss how he avoided taking responsibility for the break-up, but he seemed so sincere...

She let out a breath she didn't know she had been holding. Fitz, seeming to take that as a sign of encouragement, took a step closer.

"What we had- have," Fitz corrected himself, "It's amazing. It makes you happy, I just know it! Don't you want this?"

Sophie tried to deny it, but she did. Especially since school started next week, and if she went back and everyone knew they'd broken up... she shuddered. What Stina alone would say, not to mention the whispers and gossip that already followed her thanks to Jolie and Brant's marriage...

"Fine, okay," she whispered. Fitz did seem regretful, and he looked handsome in his tunic. When his bright, perfect smile formed, Sophie took a hesitant step towards him.

He took that slow step as confirmation and closed the rest of the distance between them, cupping Sophie's cheeks and pulling her towards him.

Their lips touched, and Sophie closed her eyes. If Fitz noticed that it took her longer to wrap her arms around his neck than usual, he didn't comment. Instead, he moved his lips against hers, deepening the kiss.

Eventually, there was a knock on Sophie's door, and Sophie used that as an excuse to pull away. She checked to make sure her hair was okay and there was no evidence of what they had been doing. Then she opened the door, expecting Edaline, or, horror of horrors, Grady. But again, someone she didn't expect was standing there.

"Keefe!" Sophie suddenly wished she had checked her hair a little more before opening the door. "What are you- what are you doing here?"

"Just came to check how you were doing," Keefe had obviously spotted Fitz, but if he was curious he didn't ask. "But I guess you're fine so bye!"

He tried to back away, but before he could, Fitz appeared at Sophie's side, eyes narrowed, arms crossed.

"What is he doing here?" Fitz snapped.

"He was just checking on me! Like a friend does..." Sophie said slowly. Why was Fitz so suspicious of Keefe? They were best friends... weren't they?

"Well, he doesn't have to. You're just fine," Fitz's eyes narrowed further.

"Wow Fitz, if you narrow your eyes anymore, they're gonna close. Then how will you see your beautiful new girlfriend? Or, old girlfriend? New-old? Hmm... this will be kinda confusing. Anyway, I have somewhere I need to be, so... bye!"

Before he could scoot backward towards the stairs, Sophie stopped him. Her face was burning, but she needed to know.

"Why did you really come over?" she demanded.

"I told you, Ruewen. I just wanted to check on you. You're cute when you're pushy, though, so thank you for that," Keefe grinned, before glancing at Fitz, whose face was so scowly that Sophie let him back away this time, before he turned and left with one last smirk over his shoulder.

But she still called after him, "Hey, hail me later, okay?"

He nodded without turning, and Sophie watched his shoulder slump down further with every step away from her. She furrowed her brow with concern, keeping her eyes on his back until he reached the bottom of the stairs and Fitz closed the door, almost slamming it. She jumped back to avoid crushing her toes, and glared at the dark-haired elf.

"What was that for?" she challenged.

"Why did he come? Did you invite him?" Fitz ignored her question, tightening his crossed arms.

"What? No! Is he allowed to ask if I'm okay?"

"Why wouldn't you be okay? I'm here, aren't I?"

Sophie almost snorted, but she figured that wouldn't help the situation at all. "Look, Fitz, I didn't invite him. He just came to check on me, saw that you were already here, and left. Nothing else." She almost added, 'Although I don't know what else there would be,' but she had the good sense not to.

"Fine," Fitz grumbled. "Now, where were we?" He reached for Sophie's face, and she was about to let him press his lips into hers again when there was another knock on the door. Fitz growled something under his breath as he released Sophie's face again to let her open the door.

And standing there... was Biana. She was standing there with such a Keefe-like smirk on her face that Sophie almost didn't recognize who she was for a second.

"Can I... come in? Or are you too busy?" Biana emphasized busy in a way that made Sophie's face burn.

"No! No, it's fine," she blurted, holding the door open. Biana strolled inside, winking at Fitz when he scowled at her.

"Why. Are. You. Here," he almost bit out the words.

"While it's kind of you to ask, big brother, I came to talk to Sophie," Biana said breezily, not at all bothered by Fitz's glare.

Fitz didn't move, and she added sharply, "That was a polite hint for you to go, Fitz."

He still stayed where he was. "What do you need to tell her?" His voice was angry, but there was also a hint of nerves, as though he thought he knew what Biana would say, and he didn't want her saying it.

That alone made Sophie bristle, and, without taking her eyes off Fitz, she said to Biana, "Okay. Let's talk, Biana." She didn't have to say the word alone for Fitz to get the message.

He scowled even more, if that was possible. "Are you sure? Because I can stay..."

"Out." Biana pointed to the door, staring her brother down until he exhaled and made his way out of the room. Biana closed the door behind him, perhaps a bit harder than she needed. Then she grabbed Sophie's arm, and pulled her into her gigantic bathroom, shutting the door quietly behind her. "So he can't eavesdrop," she explained to Sophie's questioning look.

"He wouldn't-"

"Just in case," Biana interrupted, sitting them down on a blue plush carpet.

Sophie only had time to blink before Biana continued. "So what's going on with you guys?"

"Seriously?" Sophie crossed her arms. "You had to kick Fitz out, make a big deal out of how he can't listen, and shut us in my bathroom just so you could ask that?"

"Um... no? There was another thing I wanted to tell you. But now I want to know, because brother dearest was here, and from the sound of it, some stuff was happening. So spill the tea." 

Sophie refused to acknowledge her insistence. "There isn't any."

"No way! Because Keefe hailed me earlier to say he was coming over here, and-"

"Why did he hail you to tell you he was coming here?" Sophie asked suspiciously.

"Not important! Just tell me! I promise I won't tell anyone."

Sophie sighed. Biana was really good to talk to... and she had to tell someone. So she did, dropping her still-crossed arms.

Sophie told Biana everything, except Marella's new ability. She'd already made that mistake, she didn't have to make it again. She told her about the breakup (only yesterday?) and how they were back together, and the matchmaking drama, and her conflicted feelings, and how Fitz didn't seem to trust Keefe, and every mixed up part of her recent life.

When she was done, instead of sitting in shock or silence, Biana seemed to know exactly what to do.

Of course.

"So do you like my brother? Or not?" Biana quirked up an eyebrow, waiting for Sophie's response.

But she didn't know the answer.

Did she still like Fitz? Sophie realized that she hadn't felt attracted to his personality (his looks, of course! Who wouldn't?) since... their big argument.

But that was probably just some leftover annoyance. Surely she still liked him. After all, she'd liked him for years! She couldn't just stop as soon as they actually started dating.

Could she?

Biana was still sitting in front of her, waiting for an answer. So she said, "Yes! Of course I do! Why wouldn't I?"

"Well, that's the question, isn't it," Biana told her. "Why do you like him, and if you don't anymore, why wouldn't you?"

Sophie had no response.

"What was the news you wanted to tell me?" She managed to say, firmly resisting the answer to Biana's question.

The brunette sighed with annoyance. "It's nothing. I have to go soon, anyway. Hey, before I go, do you wanna let me give you a makeover?" she suggested, not-so-subtly changing the subject.

Sophie rolled her eyes. "As always, Biana, my answer is no."

Biana shrugged, climbing to her feet. "Welp, it was worth a shot. Anyway, I gotta go, my mom wanted me and Fitz home for dinner. We'll both be going now, so bye! And he says bye too, I'm sure. Want me to give him a kiss for you?" Biana puckered perfectly glossed lips, laughing when Sophie gave her a shove.

"Goodbye, Biana," Sophie said pointedly, trying not to laugh.

"Okay, okay! But seriously, think about what I said. And go talk to Keefe!" she shouted over her shoulder on the way out the door.

I love Biana-

Anyway, dOeS sOpHiE rEaLlY lIkE kEeFe?

Will she get her oblivious head out of the clouds?

Is she REALLY just not smart?

Why am I talking like this?

We all have no idea!

Leave a comment if you liked it!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.6K 185 33
This fanfic takes place after Unlocked, which ends (spoiler alert) with Keefe leaving. Sophie's feeling pretty awful, but the Neverseen is still a th...
62.9K 549 68
A Sokeefe Fanfiction Sophie and the gang are still at war with the Neverseen. Along with the struggles of fighting, Sophie and her friends are learni...
113K 1.7K 54
2/14/22: #1 in sokeefe!! Love, Keefe. Love, Keefe. Love, Keefe. Sophie couldn't seem to get the words out of her head. ~~~~ "You never know how much...
53.9K 716 19
This story takes place after Sophie has defeated the Neverseen and before the elite levels. They have also never met Lihn and Tam. Sophie has defeat...